• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2021
    Hi,

It's been a while. Good day to whomever remembers me.

You may or may not have heard that importing something into the EU is since July *always* subject to VAT. There used to be an exception on this for small shipments. The amount could vary depending on which country you live in, for me this was €22. If something was labeled to be worth more than 22 (shipping included), VAT would be calculated and charged.
    This by itself is not a problem for me. I believe that paying for VAT earns my country money, which can in turn be used to keep schools and medcare cheap. The problem with this system is the flat fee of around €20 that the post office charges me in addition to the VAT. Because they have to let the postman ring at my door and ask me to pay the VAT (and that fee).
    A small example: buy a 10$ cd + 10$ shipping = 20$ = 18€ = yay! But now, that 18€ + 21% VAT (3.7€) = 21.7€ + 20€ handling = 41€ (or around 45$). You see how expensive this is getting? I don't mind paying the 4€ VAT. slant

However, there's a system in place for "registered stores" which lets them charge the VAT to the visitors upfront, so that i can dodge the handling fee. This system is mainly intended for Amazon and Alibaba and whatever, but other stores can apply as well. I've been wondering if there is any news on this from record labels?

I'm sometimes buying cds directly from La-La Land Records because they tend to offer autographed ones. I have tried reaching out to them via different channels, to get their thoughts on the matter but got no response. But regardless, I guess I won't be buying any more niche cds directly from the US. It's not like I'm making bulk purchases where the 20€ is negligible. Real shame.

Any good alternatives / resellers in Europe that focus on this niche of ours?

Thanks,
    Maxime
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  1. Isn't Chris Corner a good one?
    http://www.soundtrackcorner.de/

Then again, those prices went up as well. Must be because he needs to import them too
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2021
    Interesting, thanks. Also discovered this site myself: https://www.musicbox-records.com/en/

Guess I'll need to wait and hope for these local sites to pick up the ones that I want.
    But I'll say goodbye to those autographed cd's.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...