• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Well, interesting choice. Mark Isham as main guest. You can deliver a really magnificent and diverse program, you can deliver crud and his more recent boring stuff.
    Knowing Gent it will probably be a lot of the same style, but let's hope they can prove me wrong. I mean so much diverse, colorful music to choose from.

BUT I'm interested nonetheless wink
    Thor, is this good enough for you? As said, you can sleep at my place

https://www.screendaily.com/news/mark-i … 68.article
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2022
    Yes, Isham is interesting. I didn't care for him in the 90s and early 2000s, but do now. I consider CRASH one of the 10 greatest synth-driven scores of all time, for example. And I've never interviewed him.

But it's all down to finding cheap airfare, now that RyanAir doesn't fly there from Oslo anymore.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    Yes, Isham is interesting. I didn't care for him in the 90s and early 2000s, but do now. I consider CRASH one of the 10 greatest synth-driven scores of all time, for example. And I've never interviewed him.

But it's all down to finding cheap airfare, now that RyanAir doesn't fly there from Oslo anymore.

Let us know something, as soon as possible. If we need to get tickets with or without you. As said, you can stay for free at my place
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Nice choice, but as you say Thomas, will depend a lot on what Brossé decides to do. I remember Brossé really stripped away the colour from a couple of guests before (most notably Clint Mansell).

However, during the WSA weekend, I have an intense training from work on Friday and Saturday. I hope I can join for a pre-dinner on Saturday before I attend the concert.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    I consider CRASH one of the 10 greatest synth-driven scores of all time, for example.

Yeah, what a wonderful score. Flames is a track I have in multiple playlists.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Let us know something, as soon as possible. If we need to get tickets with or without you

Just go ahead and order tickets without me. If I go, I will need to have press accreditation.

As said, you can stay for free at my place

Thanks, that's very kind of you.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    It would be fantastic if you'd come back to Gent. How many years has it been since the last time. Certainly some trips should be on the agenda. punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2022
    Bregt wrote
    How many years has it been since the last time.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was 2015 -- i.e. 7 years ago(!). That means I'll probably have to deal with a whole new WSA crew to get my accreditation (Valerie is no longer there, for example). But I'll find a way, if and when this becomes a possibility. It's too early to say now.

By the way, did I tell you that I sat next to Patrik Duynschlager (sp.?) on the bus from Nice airport to Cannes some years ago? I was there to cover the festival, he was there for some industry thing, I think. Well, he sat with another person in the seats next to me, not directly next to me, but at some point I said hello and told him about the WSA connection. He was "politely aloof", if I could put it like that. :D
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2022
    We have tickets!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2022 edited
    Aww man, I still can't wait to return. The two events I have attended are up there with my favourite city-break trips ever. Probably won't be this year but I won't forget.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2022 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Nice choice, but as you say Thomas, will depend a lot on what Brossé decides to do. I remember Brossé really stripped away the colour from a couple of guests before (most notably Clint Mansell).

I think this summarizes the problem I have with the great majority of concerts, and one of the reasons I have never attended a concert in Ghent.

To further explain my problems with any concert, read this review

http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/elegy … uprooting/
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2022
    There's also a Korean concert now, right? Yo Yeong-wook is an interesting composer....and his work practices.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2022 edited
    Yes, on Thursday, October 20, there's a concert with film msuic by Korean composers. The theme of the festial is Korean cinema.
    https://www.filmfestival.be/en/news/49t … -composers
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2022 edited
    Due to increased living and energy costs, limited finances, poor health and lack of time to properly research, I have to cancel both my trip to Vienna (which is this week -- very irritating, because Menken is on my top 10 list of composers I want to interview), as well as Ghent/WSA in October (also a shame, especially now that I see that Johnny Jewel is also coming). Just as heads-up to our Belgian friends, since I said that a new visit to Ghent was very likely this year.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Sorry to hear that Thor, I understand of course. Hopefully we'll make it happen some other day. If it's only for a visit to see each other and drink beer together, and enjoy the company.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2022
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Sorry to hear that Thor, I understand of course. Hopefully we'll make it happen some other day. If it's only for a visit to see each other and drink beer together, and enjoy the company.

Yeah, in many ways that would be more feasible, since it doesn't require the research and "stress" of the WSA things. Fingers crossed, and let's keep meeting in Zoom chats in the meantime.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2022 edited
    Damn, sorry to hear that. But I completely understand. >Ticket prices are insane I heard.

It will happen one day again. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2022
    So this is happening now (or has happened). For those of you who attended, I'd love to hear a report.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. First part was actually good

- the original composition for a short clip is always interesting, and for once my pick WON. Wow, usually I'm always flabbergasted that mine never wins

Nanita Desai's (Discovery of the previous year) got some attention, and again they got it right. Played 2 powerful pieces (of 14 Peaks and Untamed Romania) and paired with more intimate stuff I didn't know shows the perfect combination, of powerful vs calm music. Isham then got on the stage for solo trumpet for his work on Black Dahlia, and again they chose the one powerful action track of the score, which then later ended with the more sultry love theme. The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent also had one powerful piece, the solo vocal moment in "Javi Stands" and again they played this. More or less, they played what I wanted of those scores so for now it all sounded great. They ended the first part with several selections of Coulais and while not my style, it worked because we got a bit of everything.

2nd part showed alas once again why I'm always so scared of going to the WSA. They don't know variation until it bites them in their ass. Sometimes I want to know who on earth choses these pieces.

The Moderns I get: because it was a long moment for Isham to play on his trumpet. Then they played Judas and the Black Messiah which was a brief moment but again for Mark Isham to play his 'muted' trumpet. This I didn't get, it sounded the same as the previous piece, and was so short it barely made impact. Rules of Engagement and its powerful cue Semper Fideles could have easily replaced this. Then we got River Runs Through it, and they mentioned SUITE. So I was really looking forward to this. Turned out to be not even 2 minutes long and a lovely though underwhelming version of the main theme on solo violin. Why they didn't play the main theme or end credits piece is beyond me, why call it suite when you play a minute and a half track and not show the Americana gloriousness of the theme ala Thomas Newman. Completely bollocks. They ended with American Crime which I didn't know and Isham was very proud of. The selections were good, but at that point I was already disappointed they didn't want to finish with either Miracle or Racing Stripes. Tommy Pearson himself said he was a chameleon, from jazz to full orchestral scores. Then WHY not deliver one of those full orchestral pieces? They are so afraid to blow up the roof these guys

They ended with again selections of Coulais. Himalaya, Oceans, Coraline. While all fine and quirky, a 6 person choir (who works a lot with Coulais) then joined the orchestra on stage, singing the one same track after the other. I know when you invite them, you can't have them do 1 piece of 2 minutes and then make them leave. But again at this point you lost all variation and it all blended together. It lost its originality simply because it was all the same.

Also a bit sad that it felt then that the guest of honor (Isham) was getting less attention than the lifetime achievement winner (Coulais). Alas it ended in this dissapointing note because they just don't know how to end with a bang

So sad because the first part was actually pretty good, but as usual WSA don't know how to tackle a program, and it left me in the cold. Bregt was more positive (as usual haha) and yes I'm always very negative. But that's just because WSA never listens to me, because they usually bring the SAME and SAME selections, overkill in the lack of variation.

1st part: 8 out of 10
    2nd part: 5 out of 10
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2022 edited
    Thanks for the report, Thomas! Sounds like a mixed bag indeed.

Was there any social stuff outside the concert itself?
    I am extremely serious.
  5. The Bijloke has been completely renovated, and it looks amazing now. Not only the hall itself but the bar / restaurant is very lovely. But outside you have to go back to the city to get any life of the party.

So no, we all went our separate ways and called it tonight.
    Goes to show we need a party person to stay until the wee hours wink

I did go to "Dulle Griet", the beer place where you need to hang your shoe on the ceiling if you want to drink the 1.2 liter beer wink But that was before the concert and with Mario

And we all ate together as a group of 12, 13 people just before the concert. But that was pretty much it
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2022 edited
    Thanks! Yes, the afterparty bit is always great -- although I always have major issues separating you from chatting endlessly with acquaintances outside the venue. Chatting in pubs is better! But good to see there was some form of pre-concert event, at least.
    I am extremely serious.