• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. In an attempt to generate some traffic I thought that I would start this topic.This is what I posted on Facebook:

"If the 'legacy music' isn't used then it's a half-hearted attempt to bed this new series into the Star Wars universe. Having watched the opening episode I thought that old themes could have been used to reinforce characters. There were so many visual reinforcements, why not do the same with the music?

Even the new theme for Obi-Wan was a bit underwhelming compared to what we have come to expect (or at least hope for) for Star Wars (the movies anyway)."

Overall, disappointed in most respects.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. To be honest, I find this approach refreshing. Instead of using the famous cues for everything - as if we needed a reminder who those characters are - we are given the option to enjoy this as the completely new story, the new aspect of it, that it is. Some stories rely too much on that nostalgia, and it almost never works (looking at you, Rise of Skywalker). Instead new themes allow us to see these characters from a new perspective. Instead of treading known grounds, we're forced to find out who they are right there, at that moment in their life, and I find that immensely refreshing.
  3. Nostalgia? There will be an aspect the using of old themes repeatedly. But, that nostalgia helps bed old characters with new stories and, frankly, new actors.

The skill would be to integrate old themes with new themes. But to completely ignore what has come before seems a missed opportunity for a show that's so integral to the rest of the established (and thematically rich) Star Wars universe.

I found the whole musical treatment quite anonymous in the opening episode, even the new theme for Obi-Wan Kenobi - I need to go and listen to the track seperately in order to get a sense of what it actually is!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    To be honest, I find this approach refreshing. Instead of using the famous cues for everything - as if we needed a reminder who those characters are - we are given the option to enjoy this as the completely new story, the new aspect of it, that it is. Some stories rely too much on that nostalgia, and it almost never works (looking at you, Rise of Skywalker). Instead new themes allow us to see these characters from a new perspective. Instead of treading known grounds, we're forced to find out who they are right there, at that moment in their life, and I find that immensely refreshing.

Ah yes, so "refreshing" to just dump standard flavorless generic Epik Percussion all over everything as if this was any old generic action TV show that could have come out in the last 15 years... rolleyes

If Holt had actually done something interesting with her material (as Ludwig Göransson did at least in parts of The Mandalorian) then maybe I'd buy this line of argumentation. As it is it feels like the same tired old defense for mediocre modern franchise music that we've been putting up with all the way back to the likes of Batman Begins-
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2022 edited
    Clearly something happened behind the scenes on this. There are six(!) credited composers, and two entirely separate music teams.

The material composed by William Ross - including every adaptation of John Williams' theme, the duel in episode 3 and the bulk of the action material in episode 4 - is excellent. It actually sounds like STAR WARS, unlike the generic, uninteresting material from Natalie Holt and her additional composers.
  5. Jim Ware wrote
    Clearly something happened behind the scenes on this. There are six(!) credited composers, and two entirely separate music teams.

The material composed by William Ross - including every adaptation of John Williams' theme, the duel in episode 3 and the bulk of the action material in episode 4 - is excellent. It actually sounds like STAR WARS, unlike the generic, uninteresting material from Natalie Holt and her additional composers.

It will be interesting to see what is released.

Having a film music nerd head I find it very distracting/another level of complexity listening out for how the music is handled whilst watching the episodes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2022
    I really like the show -- crosses off most of the points I like about STAR WARS (the world building, the references to existing mythology, the recognition of the much-derided prequels etc.).

But I find Holt's music dreadful. Completely anonymous tropes that feel alienating. The Ross bits are better. Williams' theme is ok, but fairly non-descript and totally in line with his more motivic writing, post-2005.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Agree with what you are saying about the music. As heard in the show it is all pretty non-descript and forgettable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2022 edited
    Thor wrote
    I really like the show -- crosses off most of the points I like about STAR WARS (the world building, the references to existing mythology, the recognition of the much-derided prequels etc.).

But I find Holt's music dreadful. Completely anonymous tropes that feel alienating. The Ross bits are better. Williams' theme is ok, but fairly non-descript and totally in line with his more motivic writing, post-2005.

I like Williams' theme. But it is waaaaaay over-used. Which reflects badly on William Ross (with that awkward "Kenobi Theme Adapted By" credit) despite the fact that a substantial proportion of the entire score is completely his... and I don't need validation on that because you can hear it. Holt and Ross' contributions are like chalk and cheese, and frankly I think it's cruel and unfair to everybody involved.