• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2023 edited
    Film Fest Gent is having its 50th edition in October!

PRESS PLAY: Music from Games
    Guest is Austin Wintory
    https://www.filmfestival.be/en/news/50t … usic-prize

World Soundtrack Awards (23 October)
    Nicola Piavani to receive Lifetime Achievement Award
    https://www.worldsoundtrackawards.com/
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2023 edited
    Yeah, got the press e-mail too. Neither Wintory nor Piovani are big sell-ins for me, I'm afraid, but presumably the 50th anniversary bit will offer some other cool guests eventually.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Wintory seems very enthusiastic when it comes to people with an interest in his music. So, he should be a great guest.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2023
    There will be no WSA for me this year. Or rather, not this year either, as I haven't been there in a whopping 8 years now. But hopefully, those of you who attend can report back.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2023
    As far as I can tell, this has now started (not the WSA concert itself, but the various events).

Any of our Belgian friends attending? Anything to report?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2023 edited
    It is all over now. :D

It's the first time in 21 years I didn't attend the WSA. Due to the lack of a central guest I lost track of the event. A pity probably, but there's only so much time, money for tickets and babysitting alternatives.

However, Thomas, Maxime, my brother (gamer) and my flat mate from Gent (hard core gamer) meet up last Thursday for the Press Play concert, featuring game music. It was a fantastic concert! Wide variety of genres, not focusing only on the epic stuff. Hosted by a funny Austin Wintory himself, instead of Tommy Person, which, to be honest, was refreshing. Compared to WSA, the people attending the event was clearly different. Lots of young people.

Anyhow, lots to like. Brussels Philharmonic was joined by the Flemish Radio Choir on stage, with Dirk Brossé conducting. Some of the composers having their pieces performed were also there, and there was a WSA award for best game music.

Highlights for me:
    - Medal of Honor: opening suite, with the fabulous theme and some action pieces, ending in an epic choir finale
    - Baldur's Gate 3: the last one of three epic tracks of the programme, but while the previous two were a bit chaotic and too epic for my taste, the Intro piece from Baldur's Gate was perfect for the orchestra and choir. As an extra, this game is widely successful and is a Belgian game from Gent game creator Larian Studio. Impressive story!
    - Final Fantasy VII: classic but extremely good and well performed
    - The Last of Us: Santaolalla took stage, supported by a walking stick, slowly moving to his chair and taking of the rencoro guitar. He started the piece, and immediately took everyone on to a fabulous suite and performance of the main theme. He clearly had so much joy during his performance. Heart warming. Definitely the highlight for me. Standing ovation after that.
    - Journey and Abzu: Austin Wintory had to announce his own pieces. Apotheosis from Journey is a track I often play, so it was great to hear it live.

We had dinner before and a drink after. I was a bit nostalgic to the times we were with so many of us in Gent.

Line-up
    Medal of Honor (Michael Giacchino)
    L.A. Noire (Andrew Hale)
    Celeste (Lena Raine)
    God of War Ragnarök (Bear McCreary)
    Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (Gordy Haab, Stephen Barton)
    Baldur’s Gate 3 (Borislav Slavov)
    The Legend of Zelda (Koji Kondo)
    Final Fantasy VII (Nobuo Uematsu)
    Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture (Jessica Curry)
    Hearthstone (Peter McConnell)
    The Last of Us (Gustavo Santaolalla)
    Assassin’s Creed Syndicate (Austin Wintory)
    Journey (Austin Wintory)
    Abzû (Austin Wintory)
    Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: Dawn of Ragnarök (Stephanie Economou)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2023
    Thanks for sharing, Bregt! My interest in game music and gaming mostly stops in the 90s, but I've heard some good stuff on albums in recent years, even if I don't play games myself. Of the titles on that program, I really like EVERYBODY'S GONE TO THE RAPTURE, for example.
    I am extremely serious.