• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2008 edited
    Thor wrote
    Again, Falkirk, you're making a game where I hardly know any of them. That normally wouldn't prevent me, though, but I'm just not sure I have the time to participate with equal vigour as the previous ones on this one before the deadline.

That's fine, Thor. Sorry that I've chosen another set of obscure clips.

franz_conrad wrote
    I think people should remember that there aren't THAT MANY films with robots.

Wise words, Michael! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2008
    Yay! cheesy

I'd celebrate glory again but I'm sure Demetris will make a come back. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2008 edited
    Bringing the scores table to the new page:

Tommy_Boy - 22 points
    franz_conrad - 22 points

Southall - 21 points
    BobdH - 12 points
    Anthony - 10 points
    Demetris - 8 points
    Bregje - 7 points punk - and the potential for more points!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  1. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Bringing the scores table to the new page:

Tommy_Boy - 22 points
    franz_conrad - 22 points

Southall - 21 points
    BobdH - 12 points
    Anthony - 10 points
    Demetris - 8 points
    Bregje - 7 points punk - and the potential for more points!

what Franz, same points as me? shocked I thought he would whoop my sorry little ass to kingdom come
    anyhoo, I made one guess and I'm sticking with it, I just don't know the answers shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Here's another update:

Southall - 28 points
    franz_conrad - 26 points
    Tommy_Boy - 22 points
    JuPe - 22 points punk
    BobdH - 12 points
    Bregje - 12 points
    Anthony - 10 points
    Demetris - 8 points

James takes a narrow lead, with Michael close on his heals. New arrival JuPe pulls a blinder and Bregje works hard for a few extra points & pulls off the bottom!!

Answers in about 12 hours or so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2008
    The natural order of things is restored.

However, it may not last - I'm really struggling with the remaining clips.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2008
    Hold your horses, Falk. I'll just prepare answers before the game ends.

Peter smile
  3. plindboe wrote
    Hold your horses, Falk. I'll just prepare answers before the game ends.

Peter smile

Don't worry. Several hours to go.
  4. Getting to the end of the contest and we have an additional entrant:

Southall - 28 points
    franz_conrad - 26 points
    Tommy_Boy - 22 points
    JuPe - 22 points
    Bregt - 15 points
    BobdH - 12 points
    Bregje - 12 points
    Anthony - 10 points
    Demetris - 8 points

Other than Peter, if anyone else wants to try for a few extra points...remember that there are not that many robot-featured movies and remember that this is a chronological order contest (except for the bonus - that would be near the top of the list).
  5. Final score:

Southall - 28 points
    franz_conrad - 26 points
    plindboe - 24 points
    Tommy_Boy - 22 points
    JuPe - 22 points
    BobdH - 16 points
    Bregt - 15 points
    Bregje - 12 points
    Anthony - 10 points
    Demetris - 8 points

So, Southall wins again - but with a reduced majority! Good last-minute contribution from plindboe and BobdH scrapes a few more points to leapfrog over Bregt!

Thanks again everyone for taking part. Sorry I wasn't able to PM people as much as I'd like to during the contest. Seems like this was another difficult set of clips but hopefully people will have found some interesting music that they had not come across before.

BTW, sites like http://www.geocities.com/brizglace/movie.htm may have helped people make some informed guesses!!

I'm just putting together a few comments with the answers and I'll post them ASAP...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2008 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Good last-minute contribution from plindboe and BobdH scrapes a few more points to leapfrog over Bregt!

They will both regret that for the rest of their lives. robot cat devil angry
    Kazoo
  6. Answers:

Clip 01 - THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (1951) (5) - Bernard Herrmann (5)
    Gort, one of the greatest robots in film. Herrmann captures the lumbering power of Gort brilliantly and there's the great use of the theremin!

Clip 02 - FORBIDDEN PLANET (1956) (2) - Louis & Bebe Barron (2)

Featuring Robbie. The robot is one of my least favourite parts of this film (along with Earl Hoffman's character). Although the music as a stand-alone listen is very very difficult, there's some of the soundscapes that has stuck with me from having watched the movie.

Clip 03 - JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS (1963) (0) - Bernard Herrmann (0)

Talos is more an animated statue rather than a robot/'android - something that I did highlight would be included in the selection as I really love what Herrmann did with this character. I suppose it's very similar to what he did with Gort - a lumbering motif - but with added brass (metallic) colours.

Clip 04 - WESTWORLD (1973) (1) - Fred Karlin (1)

A great rhythmic motif for The Gunslinger. Certainly an exanple of a musical motif that I have been attracted to whilst watching the film. BTW, I've used this clip before in other games.

Clip 05 - LOGAN'S RUN (1976) (2) - Jerry Goldsmith (3)

I'm not too familiar with this score as heard in the movie so I hope that this clip is associated with Box. One of the more melodic parts of this unusual score.

Clip 06 - STAR WARS (1977) (8) - John Williams (9)

I've always loved this sequence of music for when R2-D2 and C-3PO flee in the escape pod. Grand, sweeping but somehow heartbreaking...beautiful. I was tempted to deduct points from anyone who added "A New Hope" to their answers!

Clip 07 - SINBAD AND THE EYE OF THE TIGER (1977) (0) - Roy Budd (0)

The Minaton (http://www.hakes.com/item.asp?ListID=34 … emNo=62654) is another animated "thing" that I wasn't sure was a robot. I remember this from having seen the movie when it came out at the cinema.

Clip 8 - ALIEN (1979) (3) - Jerry Goldsmith (5)

The whirling dervish that was Ash when Ripley did him in - and it's clearly highlighted in this dramatic cue from Goldsmith. I was suprised that this was not more well known.

Clip 9 - THE BLACK HOLE (1979) (4) - John Barry (5)

There were several robots I could have highlighted but the evil Maximillian was the one I was thinking of when I put this clip in. In this clip in particular it was guess the composer and then get the movie.

Clip 10 - SATURN 3 (1980) (2) - Elmer Bernstein (2)

Hector - not the best name for an evil robot fiend. Onimous scoring from Bernstein to start off with and then it suddenly moves to a lovely, lyrical theme! I must watch this movie to see what's going on!

Clip 11 - CLASH OF THE TITANS (1981) (0) - Laurence Rosenthal (0)

Rosenthal gives a little hint of the mechanism that is Bubo, that annoying owl. You could maybe have picked out the bird-like way the clip soars?

Clip 12 - HALLOWEEN III - SEASON OF THE WITCH (1982) (0) - John Carpenter / Alan Howarth (0)

I find this simple musical device to be so sad. It underscores the discovery of a robotic Grandma knitting on a rocking chair (I think). This musical device, for me, adds an emotional level to this scene. Another clip that I like to keep adding to games.

Clip 13 - THE TRIPODS (1984) (0) - Ken Freeman (0)

This is the main theme of a BBC series that was good at the time - even with the ropey effects for the Tripods themselves. It was unlikely that anyone was going to get this - but I did have hope. Anyone who is familiar with Freeman's main theme from the BBC show Casualty - especially the original version of the hospital-based soap that featured the same synths and style - may have made the leap to this show.

Clip 14 - ROBOCOP (1987) (4) - Basil Poledouris (4)

The stand-off between RoboCop and ED-209, there was the hint of Robo's theme at the end of the clip that I thought would give this one away.

Clip 15 - CHERRY 2000 (1987) (2) - Basil Poledouris (2)

Apparently the eponymous Cherry is the android. I have no idea what this movie is like!

Clip 16 - ROBOTJOX (1990) (0) - Frédéric Talgorn (0)

This is an awesome theme for another film that I know remarkably little about. I was a bit surprised that no-one knew this theme.

Clip 17 - TERMINATOR 2 - JUDGMENT DAY (1991) (6) - Brad Fiedel (6)

Another one of those motifs that sticks in the mind from the movie. T-1000 chases Sarah from the hospital.

Clip 18 - BICENTENNIAL MAN (1999) (9) - James Horner (9)

I believe that Andrew is the robot in question in this movie. The "parping" brass gives Horner away for those not familiar with the movie itself.

Clip 19 - THE IRON GIANT (1999) (5) - Michael Kamen (5)

A score that was obviously going to be included in a robot selection!

Clip 20 - A.I. - ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE (2001) (8) - John Williams (8)

David was the robot I was thinking off for inclusion in this list. These more minimalist episodes in the score are the highlights for me.

Clip 21 - I, ROBOT (2004) (10) - Marco Beltrami (10)

Sonny. Everyone recognised Beltrami's score. A great clip for a great score!

Clip 22 - SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW (2004) (2) - Edward Shearmur (2)

I didn't use the more familiar thematic stuff and this probably meant that this one was not are readily recognised. Ominous music seems to be quite readily associated with robots?!

Clip 23 - THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY (2005) (4) - Joby Talbot (4)

Marvin - the paranoid android - should be square and angular, not curved and round!! The hint of "So Long and Thanks For All The Fish" melody towards the middle of the clip was a big clue!

Clip 24 - DOCTOR WHO (2005) (1) - Murray Gold (1)

This was another clip that was going to be difficult for people. Taken from the Doctor Who Children In Need concert held in Cardiff in 2006, this is a theme for the Clockwork Droids seen in the episode "The Girl In The Fireplace". Well done, James, for getting this one!

Clip 25 - TRANSFORMERS (2007) (10) - Steve Jablonsky (10)

Another full house for this much ridiculed but very familiar score.

Bonus - Alicia (0)
    Taken from THE TWILIGHT ZONE episode "The Lonely" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lonely_(The_Twilight_Zone)), this has all the hallmarks of some excellent Bernard Herrmann scoring. Obviously a bit too difficult!
  7. Apologies for not submitting more guesses Alan - my internet connection has been down for about two days! I'm not wishing I hadn't assumed clip 17 wasn't T2 (because I thought there had to be something between 1992 and 1998). wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Clip 16 - ROBOTJOX (1990) (0) - Frédéric Talgorn (0)

This is an awesome theme for another film that I know remarkably little about. I was a bit surprised that no-one knew this theme.

This was one of my favourite clips. I was sure it was by Bernstein!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Awww, I should've gotten Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, as it was also such an obvious one! (especially since it's so Brittish!). I'm a bit ashamed about Star Wars too... but I really didn't recognise it shame Alien is another score I've heard, but I don't know that one so well. I was struggling a bit in how much the movie had to deal with robots as being a 'robot-themed' movie, which was why I wouldn't've thought about, say, Alien, since I'd more label that as a creature-movie. But good clips, and way more 'do-able' then the previous ones! (which always makes it a bit more fun for me wink).
  8. BobdH wrote
    ...I was struggling a bit in how much the movie had to deal with robots as being a 'robot-themed' movie...

A quote from the first few lines of the original post:

"...The robot/’droid/mechanism need not be the main focus of the movie, but may just be an incidental character, but each movie does feature some sort of artificial being..."
    wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Ah... right... shame Well, me not reading that did give me another challenge-dimension to the game biggrin
  9. BobdH wrote
    Ah... right... shame Well, me not reading that did give me another challenge-dimension to the game biggrin

biggrin
  10. Anyone else care to set up a game?
  11. I can get a game ready, but it probably wouldn't be ready until Wednesday.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2008
    If needed, I'll have the time and space to make a game and put it up tomorrow? Then franz may save his game for next week?
  12. Fine by me. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    A shame I've been so busy; looking at the answers I'm sure I could have scored higher than 24 with a second round of guesses. I'm embarrassed I neither got "Logan's run" or "Terminator 2". slant

Wonderful game though with a great theme and interesting selections.

Peter punk
  13. plindboe wrote
    Wonderful game though with a great theme and interesting selections.

Peter punk

Thanks, Peter. wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    ...remember that there are not that many robot-featured movies

That did help, yes. But I'm sure that if someone asked me to make a robot set of clips the list would've looked very different! So there may be more robots in films than we would think?
    Great set Alan. Although the clips are often too tough for me I really like the puzzle element in it as well!
    punk

So, I'd like to take the time and space here too to say WELL DONE !! to all recent quiz masters who have come up with some very creative and nice ideas for themes and put a lot of time and energy in making these games, with clips, clues and extensive explanations and feedback!! I know it's a lot of work but it has been a lot of fun for everyone and quite challenging too!
    robot <-- that's a robot wink to you all!
  14. damn, RobotJox's theme sounded so familiar but I just couldn't get the title in my head. I heard it many years ago but now I know, great theme indeed wink

And game as well, thanks Alan smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    franz_conrad wrote
    Fine by me. smile

Alrighty then, expect a new game up this afternoon, before supper! (European supper time).
  15. BTW, Alan, I didn't guess a Herrmann fantasy score for clip 3, because I didn't think there were any robots in JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS or SEVENTH VOYAGE OF SINBAD, which both fell in the time period. I must look into how they got a robot into JASON! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Sorry, Alan. I didn't get around to listening to these clips before the contest ended. Very nice choices indeed, and I do know you must have put a lot of effort into this.

Ah, I might have been the only person to get the Talgorn cue. Anyways... next time.

Congrats to Southall (yet again!) and a special salute to new entrant JuPe (I'm in awe!) punk
  16. franz_conrad wrote
    BTW, Alan, I didn't guess a Herrmann fantasy score for clip 3, because I didn't think there were any robots in JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS or SEVENTH VOYAGE OF SINBAD, which both fell in the time period. I must look into how they got a robot into JASON! wink

A quote from the first few lines of the original post:

"...There are a couple of early clips where the subject isn’t technically a mechanised robot – they are more animated (not in the cartoon animation or CGI sense of the word) entities – but the clips are great and I wanted to include them. And you'll get the idea when you hear them..."

Does no-one read the introductory blurb? First BoddH and now you Michael. rolleyes wink