• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010
    Scalding kicks arse!

(Hm. Sounds like a feuding bloodbrother of Beowulf)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Martijn wrote
    Scalding kicks arse!

(Hm. Sounds like a feuding bloodbrother of Beowulf)

I was thinking of Stands-With-A-Fist's mate.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin
    Yeah, that could work!
    (although I find 'Scalding' to have a decidedly Scandinavian ring to it!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Would you guys recommend Outland to me, a late 70s and 80s fan of Jerry? I've heard the Capricorn One / Outland combo once but nothings rings a bell of those scores, maybe this new release should get me excited again. I keep reading the words 'underrated', 'classic' and 'excellent action scoring' and I wonder if this will be up my alley. It should judging from your comments. I'll check out the current version to hear what it's about.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    Would you guys recommend Outland to me, a late 70s and 80s fan of Jerry? I've heard the Capricorn One / Outland combo once but nothings rings a bell of those scores, maybe this new release should get me excited again. I keep reading the words 'underrated', 'classic' and 'excellent action scoring' and I wonder if this will be up my alley. It should judging from your comments. I'll check out the current version to hear what it's about.

"Classic" is rather overstating it, but it's very much in the gritty late 70s/early 80s action style he used in things like Capricorn One, Cassandra Crossing, Twilight's Last Gleaming etc.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PLAY IT LOUD!!!!

There's nothing like giving a score a good workout in this way.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. THAT'S GOOD ADVICE

I'LL DO JUST THAT

THANKS

beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ^ bloody URL thing doesn't allow big or bold font. Gay. slant
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    Would you guys recommend Outland to me...

I would certainly recommend it to you. I'm listening to it at the moment and I can't help but be reminded of an outer space version of Poltergeist. Especially in the suspense tracks...and the action tracks.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

DOES TOO
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

DOES TOO

It didn't for me!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010 edited
    Or me.

Good effort though. Everybody loves Brick.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Southall wrote

"Classic" is rather overstating it, but it's very much in the gritty late 70s/early 80s action style he used in things like Capricorn One, Cassandra Crossing, Twilight's Last Gleaming etc.

'Classic" to me anyway.
    I bought the album in the early eighties along with Alien. Alien is superior without doubt but I still tie the two together for various stylistic and nostalgic reasons.
    As for an expanded release of Outland, bring it on! There's a great fight track near the end that is sadly missing from the album version.
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I would certainly recommend it to you. I'm listening to it at the moment and I can't help but be reminded of an outer space version of Poltergeist. Especially in the suspense tracks...and the action tracks.

Seriously, an outer space version of Poltergeist? shocked

That's like the best news I've heard all year so far !!!!!
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Seriously, an outer space version of Poltergeist? shocked

That's like the best news I've heard all year so far !!!!!

I'm not trying to back-peddle but wait for some other opinions before getting TOO excited!
  7. Ok, I promise to not get TOO excited. cool

But can I be just a LITTLE excited? After all Goldsmith from the (early) 80s can do practically nothing wrong in my book.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2010
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

DOES TOO

It didn't for me!

Depends on where you'll position the [ big ] thingies.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    Would you guys recommend Outland to me, a late 70s and 80s fan of Jerry? I've heard the Capricorn One / Outland combo once but nothings rings a bell of those scores, maybe this new release should get me excited again. I keep reading the words 'underrated', 'classic' and 'excellent action scoring' and I wonder if this will be up my alley. It should judging from your comments. I'll check out the current version to hear what it's about.

I've sold my copy, perhaps that's saying something.
    But considering every Jerry Goldsmith score sounds bloody marvelous compared to most of the music of today, who knows?

but please, don't think it even rivals Poltergeist because that's indeed stretching it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

DOES TOO

It didn't for me!

Depends on where you'll position the [ big ] thingies.

That's what.. she said?
  9. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    ...but please, don't think it even rivals Poltergeist because that's indeed stretching it

I didn't want to say that it's on a par with Poltergeist in terms of quality. But there are certainly things about Outland that reminds me of Poltergeist.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2010
    Understandable. The scores aren't far apart year wise.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  10. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    ...but please, don't think it even rivals Poltergeist because that's indeed stretching it

I didn't want to say that it's on a par with Poltergeist in terms of quality. But there are certainly things about Outland that reminds me of Poltergeist.

I have to agree with my brother. I just listened to the old album. Poltergeist is very melodic and spine-tingling compared to Outland. Outland is creepy as well yet has one main motif, and basically no melodies whatsoever. It's like a slightly lighter version of Alien. I liked some of the tracks, but I don't think I'll be getting the new release.
  11. Apologies in advance for not having all the info infront of me, but there is supposed to be a "Big" CD announcement today, by I believe SAE (probably an FSM CD), which as I recall has Neil Norman involved (some of you may recall he w instrumental in the GNP Star Trek CD releases...).

Also, SAE said (I think both these were on their Facebook) that FSM will be releasing "Soon", Trek III (Horner).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  12. justin boggan wrote
    Also, SAE said (I think both these were on their Facebook) that FSM will be releasing "Soon", Trek III (Horner).

ohhhhhhhhhhh; FUCK YEAH punk
    one less holy grail to nag about
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2010 edited
    Today's announcement by FSM: The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm/The Honeymoon Machine by Leigh Harline

Here is the link.

I don't know about you but it's certainly not a BIG announcement for me.
  13. Star Trek III ??????? Damn, I'm going to faint now. shocked

Wake me up in time for me to pre-order it. beer
  14. Well, the big one could still yet to be announced, or it could have been post poned.

I've never understood the big deal over Harline. Every sample I listen to leaves me cold and uninvolved.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  15. Well, some of you recall recently about Isham getting in a little trouble for mentioning the Spartacus recording he was doing (I posted the exact words here somewhere, in case his YouTube video got removed, which it did), and now it appears Debney didn't get the Memo -- from Debney's Facebook:

John Debney Tina Guo in the studio tomorrow playing the Love theme from Spartacus by Alex North for Varese Sarabande
  16. justin boggan wrote
    Well, some of you recall recently about Isham getting in a little trouble for mentioning the Spartacus recording he was doing (I posted the exact words here somewhere, in case his YouTube video got removed, which it did), and now it appears Debney didn't get the Memo -- from Debney's Facebook:

John Debney Tina Guo in the studio tomorrow playing the Love theme from Spartacus by Alex North for Varese Sarabande

If they are still recording stuff for the Varese release then it's likely that Spartacus won't be available until towards the end of the year?