• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Take THAT wallets; posted by SAE today at their Facebook page:

We may be getting a really cool new FSM cd from the pressing plant on Friday - stay tuned!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. I wonder what it could be?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Maybe that "Hawaii 5-O" CD? But can FSM crank CDs out that quickly?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2010
    Woohoo, a CD will be released!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2010
    This Hawaii Five-0 release is one of the sweetest things this year!! I respect the fact they slashed the price to reflect the short running time. Intrada wouldn't have done that.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tom made me a CD-r copy of his LP and I have to tell ya it's an incredible album! Highly recommended!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I'm almost excited about this as the new CHiPs Vol.3
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  4. Another new accouncement:

September 12, 2010
    Simon Boswell's Jason and the Argonauts Available for Pre-Order

Although it won't be ready to ship for another three weeks, you can already pre-order your copy of Simon Boswell epic score to the Hallmark mini-series, directed by Nick Willing, who also helmed Simon's Photographing Fairies, the composer's most requested score. The album runs a little under an hour and features the best of the 137 minutes of music Simon composed for the two-parter. It had been compiled by himself and music editor Geoff Foster for a release when the mini-series aired, but the plans were eventually scrapped until Perseverance came along. Once again, to the rescue...

http://store.fortytwotradingco.com/jaandar.html

Also, La La Land records has some new goodies coming September 21st.

This is also ontop of three scores coming from Intrada.
  5. Oh, and now:

Press release :

Ecoutez le cinéma!, November 2010 New Release

Le Cinéma de Maurice Jarre [The Film-Music of Maurice Jarre]

4 CD long-box set, 44-page booklet, 50 years of films, 5 hours of music
    Release date: November 15th 2010

With the participation of Radio-Classique and the support of the SACEM Action Fund

This year is the 10th Anniversary of the series known as Ecoutez le cinéma!, and the occasion to pay tribute to one of film's major figures with a project on the same scale as the composer: a 4CD long-box set devoted to the music of Maurice Jarre marks the composer's justified appearance in the Ecoutez le cinéma! series. Maurice Jarre took an active part in the production of this set in selecting and compiling the music as well as giving an exclusive interview (reproduced inside the booklet). His disappearance made this project even more necessary as an indispensable, eye-witness account of a life devoted to the international film industry.

One obstacle remained before this project could be completed, however. Maurice Jarre was always more interested in the Future than the Past, a man whose dreams looked constantly to tomorrow: he had no instinct for preserving his master-tapes. Decades later, we had to undertake a long hunt to reconstruct the puzzle which involved a great deal of research -sometimes close to archaeology- in the archives of publishers, production-companies and film-labs. From his Georges Franju years to his work in the 21st century, here, now, are 50 years of films compressed into 4 CDs and 5 hours of music. The familiar cornerstones of Jarre's work are here as expected, (Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, Is Paris Burning?, The Man Who Would Be King, The Tin Drum, Dead Poets Society), together with more secret, more fragile films and scores that had never been issued on record (Topaz, The Mackintosh Man, El Condor), not to mention treasures showing his work in its earliest stages: the last song ever recorded by Ella Fitzgerald (composed for a Japanese film), a piano & vocal demo recorded by Maurice Jarre with Jeanne Moreau for Elia Kazan's The Last Tycoon, some rejected scores… or again, excerpts from some amazing spotting-sessions involving Maurice Jarre and Alfred Hitchcock or David Lean (prudently recorded on cassette-tapes by the composer himself).

The 44-page booklet contains rare photographs, an exhaustive interview with Maurice Jarre, and brand-new accounts supplied by Pierre Boulez, Jeanne Moreau, Volker Schlöndorff, Alexandre Desplat and… Kirk Douglas!

The 4CD set entitled Le Cinéma de Maurice Jarre is probably the most ambitious project ever released in the Ecoutez le cinéma! collection. It can also be seen as a portrait of the film-career of a French composer of international dimension, a man convinced that, "since the beginning of the 20th century, film has become the opera of our times."

Album conceived and produced by Stéphane Lerouge
    Artwork by e-lements
    Mastering : Alexis Frenke, Art et Son Studio, Paris.

http://www.underscores.fr/index.php/201 … universal/
  6. Although I didn't watch all of Hallmark's Jason and The Argonauts I did catch a bit of it a while back whilst channel-hopping.

I remember being so taken by the music that I heard that I emailed the composer to ask about a possible release. At the time he said that he was hoping to get a release for this score in the future.

Good to see that it's finally happening.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2010 edited
    Hmmmm...I tried a few of the available tracks and wasn't too blown away.
    Let me try again.

(EDIT: it's really nice when composers actually take the time to respond, isn't it? smile I always so very much appreciate that.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. For once Varee actually writes something worth a chuckle:

CD CLUB - AFTER SPARTACUS!
    Date: 9/13/2010
    SPARTACUS is done. THE GOONIES ... check. THE RIGHT STUFF, LONELY ARE THE BRAVE, HANOVER STREET ... all released and sold out. What's left? A hearty and typically diverse batch of new CD Club titles will be announced on September 20. See you then!

Me: What's left? Well:

"Conan the Barbarian"
    "The Ten Commandments"

Off the top of my head.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2010
    Remastered DRACULA (Williams), GREMLINS (Goldsmith), original tracks to BRAINSTORM (Horner), POLICE ACADEMY (Folk)...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. Announced by an FSM member:

Robert0320:
    Intrada will be releasing more titles composed by this talented fellow in the near future. I certainly look forward to expanding my Plumeri library.

When asked how he knew:

How do you know that?

Because the composer told me himself. Is that a good enough source?

I believe him -- I know sometimes people make shit up, just seems like it's not made up crap. Intrada released a few months ago his score to "Mr. Atlas".
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2010
    I don't know about you all, but I'm not interested in the original film tracks of Brainstorm. I saw the film, and while it was good, the performance of the music pales compared to what we have on CD (especially "Lilian's Heart Attack"). I'm happy with what we have.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2010
    HeeroJF wrote
    I don't know about you all, but I'm not interested in the original film tracks of Brainstorm. I saw the film, and while it was good, the performance of the music pales compared to what we have on CD (especially "Lilian's Heart Attack"). I'm happy with what we have.

Absolutely. It pales compared to Horner's rerecording.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm just suggestion something along the lines of Varese's The Fury 2CD release. You get the original soundtrack recording and the re-recording. I have no clue what the original soundtrack recording sounds like and I'd be interested to hear the differences in performance, recording and if there were any changes done to the score from the time it was first recorded in Hollywood to when Horner re-recorded in London.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2010 edited
    i've seen the film a few times Erik, the performance in the film is weak compared to the LSO recording.

Also, unlike THE FURY, Brainstorm really doesn't have much more score than what you hear on the released album, as you know I absolutely adore Horner's score but I'd have to be a bit flush to splash out on an expanded treatment.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2010 edited
    This really seems to be the new fashion these days. Almost ALL of the "Expanded Releases" I got recently are like that: Batman, Outland, Star Trek III... They all feature "C&C score" and then "Original album presentation." We talked about this tons of times, and I guess this is the one sure way to please everyone. Except when the whole reason for having a 2nd CD is precisely this arrangement. Then, no one is happy about paying extra, knowing there's one of the two discs they'll never listen to.

Personally I think that having an "Original album presentation" section is useless on a score that has already HAD a previously released CD presentation with those tracks. Those who prefer the original Warner Bros Records release of Batman can just GET the original Warner Bros Records release! (preferably from me on eBay, right now). I don't see the need to re-release the same album presentation on another release.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I do. Take THE FURY for example, I was very happy to have the original album representation included simply because I never bought it when it was available on CD, finding that original album would be difficult, or at least a pain in the neck.

BATMAN on the other hand is still readily available, in bargain bins it's almost as common as finding copies of The Bodyguard, Pretty Woman etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Yes, that's the one argument I also naturally thought of. It helps to bring a resurrection of the original out-of-print tracks. But only when that's the case. Not when it's common like Batman or Titanic. But what La-La-Land did for Masters of the Universe: BOTH the expanded and original albums presented on their release had previously been released before, there wasn't a second of new music on that release of theirs, but both original releases were exceedingly rare, so I guess it was a blessing to anyone who never could get a copy of either.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I wonder if there'll come a day when any of us soundtrack fans will ever be truly happy with what gets released?

I don't think so. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    On a case-by-case basis, we can all point out several examples that are perfect for us, I'm sure.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very true, there are plenty of releases I'm 100% happy with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    And it's so funny how each of our ideal picks could be so different.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Very true, there are plenty of releases I'm 100% happy with.

Same here.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And exactly why that old saying, 'you can keep some of the people happy some of the time, you can keep all the people happy some of the time, but you can't keep all of the people happy all of the time' is so very apt. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    With massive mandatory re-education, drugs in the water, chem trails and complete and total totalitarian control I can....
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    ...and also CNN.
  9. Unless I missed something, the current LLLR release pending dates are (according to MV, and summed up by another member):

Oct 5th: Alien Resurrection + something that hasn't been hinted at
    Oct 19th: Jade, Human Target, Batman Returns, Mirrors 2
    Nov 2nd / Nov 16th: Clue and X-Files boxset on one of these weeks, plus random other unknown titles
    Nov 30th: Their big 3 limited editions we've seen no hints for

2011 Q1: Jim Henson's Storyteller (postponed from July then Oct 2010)
    2011: two Rejected scores (postposted from 2010)
    2011: Friday Night Lights (tv series) (postponed from July then Sep 2010)

I predict that often rumored complete "Hook" before year's end, and maybe a Nathan Barr title. What the other surprises are, one can only speculate.

I think for 2011 he said something like 35-40 planned released, and even 30 already planned for 2012.