• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2011
    Airport was one of his finer efforts.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote

OK as music, but horribly, horribly dated in the film.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. sdtom wrote

I'm not really familiar with his score for Airport - I've only just listened to it on YouTube. It sounds okay but much prefer John Cacavas' music for Airport 1975.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I remember reading that Cacavas got that gig because he was friends with Telly Savales.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    I remember reading that Cacavas got that gig because he was friends with Telly Savales.

Funny that! I didn't know much of Cacavas' work so I YouTube'd him and came upon a flick called Horror Express starring...Telly Savalas. And didn't he do the theme for Kojak also?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Allow me to copy/paste something I wrote on FSM awhile back:

"Well, I had not seen a single one of these [AIRPORT] films untill now, when I watched all of them in a row.

Suffice it to say, none of them were particularly good and most of them are outright crappy, but there were some entertaining bits here and there. The last one, AIRPORT 79, must be the most outlandish one of them all, especially that scene with George Kennedy shooting flares out the window of the Concorde while it flies upside down at 11.000 feet!!

Great move to have the Kennedy character, Patroni, be the "binding tissue" throughout all of them, though. He gets to develop and showcase his character. I loved no. 2, where he's pretty much angry and pissed throughout the whole film, probably because his wife is onboard the unfortunate aircraft.

As for the scores, well, none of them struck me as particularly brilliant either. Newman's score for the first film seemed surprisingly archaic, even for 1970. The opening theme, in particular, sounds like it could be a Golden Age film and almost gets a comic effect. Not intended, I'm sure. I wonder if Newman also composed some of the funky source cues, though.

Cacavas' scores for 2 and 3 were so-so and Schifin's for the last had some highlights, such as the propulsive and energetic main theme, but was otherwise rather non-descript.

It's nice to have seen them and know what they're all about, but they're all really too cheesy for me. I actually prefer the Irwin Allen disaster epics, even though they have their dose of cheesiness too."
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Funny that! I didn't know much of Cacavas' work so I YouTube'd him and came upon a flick called Horror Express starring...Telly Savalas. And didn't he do the theme for Kojak also?

Yes he did but not the popular one that most of us know by Billy Goldenberg.

EDIT : Just looked him up on Wiki, he did the final season theme for Kojak but also did episode scores, he also scored episodes of Bionic woman, Buck Rogers In The 25th Century and Hawaii 5.0
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    As for Airport films....

AIRPLANE 1 & 2 ftw. punk
  3. LLLR hints at their future releases with his specially made avatars. Can someone tell me just what the hell his newest one is?

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/avatars/1801.gif
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Update on "Knight rider" -- now with info, curtousy of don Peake who was handing out cards with it at a recent convention:

Volume 4 (length: 47:30): Killer K.I.T.T. (including Scene Q's 1-xx) and A Nice Indecent Little Town (including Scene Q's xx-xx)
    Volume 6 (length: 38:30): Chariots of Gold (including Scene Q's 1-xx)
    Volume 7 (length: 50:10): Knight of the Juggernaut (including Scene Q's 1-xx) and Return to Cadiz (including Scene Q's xx-xx)

Last woird I gave, was the huge disappointment that they were going to be download-only releases this time, but so far the nothing seems to suggest that -- maybe that's changed.

I assume Volume 5 is that 2CD set he mentioned about half a year ago; I think it was "K.I.T.T. vs Goliath", but I don't feel like going back all the pages in this thread to find it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2011
    justin boggan wrote
    LLLR hints at their future releases with his specially made avatars. Can someone tell me just what the hell his newest one is?

That's a monkey with a banana.
    • CommentAuthortimme
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2011
    justin boggan wrote
    LLLR hints at their future releases with his specially made avatars. Can someone tell me just what the hell his newest one is?

They recently released It's a mad mad mad mad world!! That's what they are hinting at, check the cover of the cd and you'll see.
  5. NEW RELEASE
    Tentatively Scheduled for Monday, April 11

BLACK SUNDAY (LA MASCHERA DEL DEMONIO) (1960)
    Les Baxter
  6. The Les Baxter is a score worth listening to.
  7. "SOCOM 4"
    Bear McCreary
    2 CD set, tentative release date of May 10th.
    La La Land Records

"Monte Carlo"
    Michael Giacchino
    Varese Sarabande Records
  8. interesting releases smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2011 edited
    I noticed this over at FSM.

Apparently there is going to be a release of a re-recording of Gottfried Huppertz's score for Metropolis:

http://www.capriccio.at/metropolis

Amazon.de list this for release on the 5th May.

I have a rip I made from the restored DVD and it's an excellent orchestral score, full of wonderful themes, emotion and drama.

I heartily recommend this to anyone and everyone.
  9. Updates.

Posted today by LLLR:

The following titles will go up for sale on April 26, 2011 at 1 pm PST

THE BLOB (1988)
    Music by Michael Hoenig
    LLLCD 1166
    Limited Edition of 2000 units
    Retail Price: $19.98

Produced by Ford A. Thaxton
    Mastered by James Nelson, Digital Outland
    Liner Notes by Brian Satterwhite
    Art Direction by Mark Banning

As remakes go, Frank Darabont and director Chuck Russell crafted one of the finest reboots to a classic horror movie to date. Along for the ride is composer Michael Hoenig (of Tangerine Dream fame) -- who crafts a spine tingling score to accompany cinema's favorite gelatinous blob of terror. The limited edition cd has been expanded and remastered from the original 1/4 inch elements courtesy of Sony Pictures. This Blob not only creeps and crawls it's melts ever livin' flesh off your body!

The first 100 cds purchased through our website will be signed by the composer at no extra charge.

CRYSIS 2 -- 2 disc set
    Main Themes by Hans Zimmer
    Music by Borislav Slavov, Tilman Sillescu, Hans Zimmer and Lorne Balfe
    LLLCD 1171
    Retail Price: $15.98

Produced by Steve Schnur, Raphaella Lima, and MV Gerhard
    Mastered by James Nelson, Digital Outland
    Art Direction by David C. Fein

Presenting the original score soundtrack to the new EA videogame CRYSIS 2, the sequel to one of the greatest shooter games ever. Renowned Academy-Award Winning composer Hans Zimmer (RANGO, INCEPTION, GLADIATOR, SHERLOCK HOLMES) crafts themes to create a propulsive musical experience, enhancing spectacular gameplay that features futuristic war, gorgeous destruction and the chance to kick alien butt on the grandest stage of all, New York City! It's a powerful, cinematically lush collection of music by composers Borislov Slavov, Tilman Sillescu, Hans Zimmer and Lorne Balfe. A dynamic stand-alone listen - and a must for gamers, soundtrack enthusiasts and music fans alike.

Artwork, track listing and sound clips will go up next week on our website.

See y'all then!

La La Land Records

And Kritzerland's next will be a John Barry score; title hasn't been guessed yet.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2011
    JOHN BARRY? Now, NOW my mouth is watering lick
  10. I remember that The Blob was a pretty decent horror remake, don't remember a single thing about the score though. Ah, interesting release which give me the chance to watch the movie again. Because the young Shawnee Smith is surely worthy of that smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  11. Looks like it's a re-issue of the sold out recent Intrada release, with LP program.

"Until September".
  12. So it is two copies of the same tracks in two different running orders?
  13. Next time I do a CD for someone I'll do two versions: the proper version and a version I think "works".
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2011 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    Looks like it's a re-issue of the sold out recent Intrada release, with LP program.

"Until September".

confused slant

Oh well, it's a beautiful score, far more varied than SOMEWHERE IN TIME and a great release for anyone who missed it last time round, I highly recommend it.
  14. The "clue" for the next Kritzerland release:

... I'm listening to our next release and I am in HEAVEN! (It's not edited yet, but even unedited it's the most deliriously wonderful music - everything I love in film music - and it's my favorite score of its composer, and one of my favorite scores ever, surprising as it isn't even that old in the scheme of things).
  15. Appearently it's "Heaven Can Wait" (Dave Grusin).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2011
  16. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I noticed this over at FSM.

Apparently there is going to be a release of a re-recording of Gottfried Huppertz's score for Metropolis:

http://www.capriccio.at/metropolis

Amazon.de list this for release on the 5th May.

I have a rip I made from the restored DVD and it's an excellent orchestral score, full of wonderful themes, emotion and drama.

I heartily recommend this to anyone and everyone.

Aha. Good news. Finally Mr Huppertz can have his own thread!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  17. IMPENDING X-box WARINING

wink

To hopefully coincide with the Comic Con (as the label is planning), four new volumes of "Knight Rider" (scroll up for titles).

X-box and Knight Rider duel. Hum.

NOTE:
    The price on the X-Files box has been reduced from the original $59, to $49.98. The original quantity of discs, has not beeen reduced.
    Maybe just my opinion, but I think he should bring it back up -- nohing wrong with making a profit, and in creasing money that can be used to do more limited edition scores later.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2011
    justin boggan wrote
    [The price on the X-Files box has been reduced from the original $59, to $49.98.

When is this coming out?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you