• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011
    Wow, big name composers, very exciting!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011
    justin boggan wrote
    Copy & paste from an FSM post:

According to the French site 'Underscores', Moviescore Media has announced a couple of their titles to be released before the end of the year. Among them 'The Hole' (Javier Navarette), The Celestine Prophecy (Nuno Malo), Pandemonium (Dario Marianelli) and last but not least 'Man to Man' (Patrick Doyle, who obviously has a very good year!).

punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Goodness! Mikael's been trying to get Pandemonium released for years!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Upcoming next from Kritzerland:

"Adventures of Casanova"
    By: Hugo Friedhofer
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Roger has posted at Intrada:

Okay, I know rumors started on this. Not sure where it started (AICN perhaps?), but given the number of requests we get for clarity, I thought I would do one posting for my own sanity. Yes, we are restoring and releasing both CONAN THE BARBARIAN and CONAN THE DESTROYER. Yes, the rumors that the masters were missing were false. They were there...24-track and 4-track units in pristine condition and complete, sitting right where we expected them to be at Universal. We transferred everything...the sound is stunning. Simply stunning. Going back to the 24-track is going to reveal a detail and ferocity on both scores you just haven't heard before. Basil often went for a muscular, powerhouse over the top performance to match unrivaled visuals and got it in a way no big orchestral score had quite achieved up to that point. Remember the feeling when you heard these scores for the first time? You'll feel it again! Fans of these scores should be ready to have their socks knocked off.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2011
    Wow. That's brilliant. Had no idea there was any prospect of a better release of the original recording smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Wow! Just... WOW! So glad I didn't buy the rerecording right now! INSTANT. BUY.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote

Re-recording, original, whatever......I WILL HAVE THEM ALL!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Timmer wrote
    BobdH wrote

I think that the re-recordings are a nice companion to the originals. I hope that word of the release of the originals will not endanger the re-recording of Conan The Destroyer (if this has yet to be recorded).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I hope not too Alan, DESTROYER sufferered more than BARBARIAN originally, that's why I'm so looking forward to Tadlow's new recording.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2011 edited
    Here's James Fitzpatrick's reply to someone from the CONAN thread at the FSM board.....

[startquote][startquote][startquote]And those people from Tadlow went through all that trouble to do a rerecording?[/endquote]

Rather a kick in the teeth for them, eh whot? :D[/endquote]

Not really a kick in the teeth for anyone ...as I am sure the world can survive with 2 Destroyers because it will be nice to have the original in remixed sound but it will not alter the following points....

Now having gone through the complete newly prepared score with a toothcomb today and compared it against the performances on the original album and the double CD bootleg it amazes me that

1. How many wrong notes where on Basil original scores

2. How so few of them were corrected on the Italian sessions

3. How bad generally the orchestra was but in particular the woodwind who fluffed many a solo ... plus the brass splits and poor string intonation.

4. Because Basil was only given a relatively small string section of 36 for such a large score, a good deal of the time 2 synths doubled the strings lines. (the new recording will have 54 string)

5. These 2 synths also often played (or failed to play) the Cimbalom, Harpsichord, Tuba and Bass lines...

6. Quite a bit of the percussion listed on each cue seems to have either been taceted or missed their entries or came in early

7. Some cues the 2 harps obviously could not play what was written

8. And finally, the Main Title as composed was never performed correctly ... so the main titles, end credits etc.. are edits of different cues

No Wonder Basil was so Unhappy!!!

I am sure the Intrada remix will be a marked improvement ... but no amount of remixing can correct wrong notes and poor intonation?

I am sure we can do a bit better for Basil and for his family who are supporting this venture[/endquote]
  5. New Intrada clue (August 8th release):

Limited to 1500 copies, this Special Collection title is from the Disney proper catalog. 1990s is the decade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    'Proper' catalog? As in, the proper classics? The animation catalog? That would narrow it down significantly. And 1500... that's not much. Very interested in what this will be...
  6. Don Davis' opera getting released. Quote from his website:

Albany Records will be releasing the CD for Río De Sangre on September 1. Stay tuned for more details!
  7. About time!
  8. Don't know if it will be of any interest, since the film isn't named, but Bruce (Kritzerland) Kimmel says they have a Francis Lai coming. It's not their next release though -- which hasn't been guessed yet.
  9. Up next from Kritzerland:

"DIVORCE ITALIAN STYLE" (1,000 copies)
    By: Carlo Rustichelli
    Pending Release Date: August 15th

So, we got "Divorce American Style", now "Divorce Italian Style". I sense a patter. OSo I searched IMDB and we got:

Divorce Iranian Style (1998)
    Divorce Albanian Style (2007)
    Divorce Filipino Style (1976) (no composer credited on IMDB)
    Divorce: American Style (2005)
    Divorce: Hollywood Style (2002) (TV)
    Divorce Las Vegas Style (1970)
    Divorce: Shariah Style (2008) (TV) (which may or may not involve beheading)
    Divorce Texas Style (2009) (Which may or may not be "bigger")
  10. "Today at 2:00 pm PST, BSX RECORDS will be announcing
    two new titles.

The first title is a fairly recent historical project featuring music composed by two filmmusic fan favorites in a newly re-mastered release with several bonus tracks that didn't appear on the original release.
    This title will be limited to 1000 units and the first 100 copies purchased through our website will be autographed by the composers.

The second release hails from the 1980s and is a genre-bending effort that has appeared before on LP and CD but has long been out-of-print.
    This newly remastered edition features both of the scores composed for the film by very different composers.
    This release will be limited to 1500 units

After that we'll have two very different titles coming on Sept 7th"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    BobdH wrote

What he says. smile
    You can never have enough Conan.

No.
    Wait.
    You can.
    vomit
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2011
    Make sure the new Conan release you all purchase is the correct one smile
  11. And the BSX CDs are:

"The Battle of Bunker Hill"
    By: William Stromberg
    http://buysoundtrax.stores.yahoo.net/amherpeherst.html

"Yor: Hunter From the future"
    By: John Scott (overseas rescore included)
    http://buysoundtrax.stores.yahoo.net/yohufrfuorso.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2011
    I love Stromberg's music. But a synthetic orchestra this time? Hmmm...
  12. Atham wrote

An 18-track digital release of The Battle of Bunker Hill was released back in February 2010 by Tribute Film Classics. I wasn't tempted by the synth orchestra then and I won't be tempted now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Had a helping hand in two new releases which I can't discuss and I'm seriously considering working on my first CD release. This would be a co-effort.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  13. sdtom wrote
    Had a helping hand in two new releases which I can't discuss and I'm seriously considering working on my first CD release. This would be a co-effort.
    Tom

Great news Tom. And I wish you every success if your own CD project gets going.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Atham wrote

An 18-track digital release of The Battle of Bunker Hill was released back in February 2010 by Tribute Film Classics. I wasn't tempted by the synth orchestra then and I won't be tempted now.

According to Ford Thaxton (I think) it's not a synthetic orchestra but a mix of live and sampled instruments, much like Lafonde's Delerue recordings. I have to say the samples sound great! Wonderful themes as well.
    ...I'm more tempted than by the simultaneous release of Scott's Yor, which -amazingly!- didn't do anything for me at all!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  14. Goodness! Then from what I remember the samples sounded terrible. Mind you, I didn't like that Delerue disc either.
  15. The new FSM CD's:

"The Great Santini"
    By: Elmer Bernstein
    http://www.screenarchives.com/title_det … T-SANTINI/

"Not With My wife, You Don't" (Volume 2)
    By: John Williams
    http://www.screenarchives.com/title_det … ONT-VOL-2/

Consensus seems to be Intrada's next:
    "the Black Hole" (complete, 1CD)
    By: John Barry

"Battlestar Galactica" (Volume 2, 2CDs)
    By: Stu Phillips

Kritzerland is still having us guessing, but it's an '80's release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2011
    The Black Hole and BSG Vol 2 for sure! Ordered already!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2011 edited
    I got this from Moviescore at the FSM board...

[startquote]MOVIESCORE MEDIA TO RELEASE ROUSING ORCHESTRAL SCORE FROM HIT TV SERIES ’PRIMEVAL’
    Action-packed album features original score by Ivor Novello-nominated Dominik Scherrer

(August 24, 2011- Göteborg, Sweden) – Finally, after five successful series on TV, the original music from ITV dinosaur adventure series Primeval, gets a soundtrack album release courtesy of Swedish soundtrack record label MovieScore Media. The action-packed 75-minute album features selections of the original score music composed by Ivor Novello Award-nominated composer Dominik Scherrer (Miss Marple, Scenes of a Sexual Nature, The Nine Lives of Tomas Katz) from the first three series of the popular show.

Primeval premiered on ITV in 2007, presenting a story about an evolutionary zoologist who discovers prehistoric creatures alive and well in the present day. The natural world is turned on its head and humanity faces a threat to its very existence. Unexplained anomalies are ripping holes in the fabric of time, allowing creatures from the past, and the future, to roam the modern world. Suddenly the world we thought we understood has changed. Nothing is certain. What kinds of relationships emerge in this shared world of secrets and suspense? What sort of creature can you next expect to see? Where will the next anomaly appear and what on earth will come out of it?

The series, which stars Douglas Henshall, Jason Flemyng, Andrew Lee-Potts, Lucy Brown and Hannah Spearritt, was nominated for a Satellite Award for Best Television Series (drama) in 2008 and by BAFTA for its Visual Effects in 2009. It has aired on ITV in the UK, on BBC America and Sci-Fi in the USA, and is distributed by BBC Worldwide. Primeval has aired in over 30 countries. During its first season, the series averaged 6.39 million viewers in the UK alone.

The exclusive world-wide soundtrack rights have been assigned to MovieScore Media by production company Impossible Pictures . The soundtrack album will be released both digitally online via all major outlets as well as on CD. The official release date of the album is September 20, 2011.

43-year old Swiss-born Dominik Scherrer has emerged as one of the most talented film composers of his generation. His music has received all-round great acclaim including an Ivor Novello 2011 Best TV score nomination following the phenomenal success of Agatha Christie’s Miss Marple (ITV/WGBH). Dominik was awarded a Gold Medal for Best Original Music at The New York International TV Festival 2006. He wrote an eclectic score to the complex, dark and funny feature film Scenes of a Sexual Nature starring Ewan McGregor, Hugh Bonneville, Gina McKee and Sophie Okonedo for Tin Pan Films. He wrote the score for the dark and twisted feature The Truth, and then went onto score the feature Riprendimi (US title: Good Morning Heartache), which was accepted to premiere in competition at the Sundance Film Festival. Other features include the award winning The Nine Lives of Tomas Katz for which Dominik received the Best Music Award at Spain’s Estapona Film Festival; the Italian comedy In Principio Erano Le Mutande, Alice Through The Looking Glass and Appetite. He most recently scored Monroe for Mammoth Screen, ITV1’s engrossing hospital drama starring James Nesbitt, and went on to score the latest series of Inspector George Gently for the BBC, the taut thriller U Be Dead and Christopher and His Kind.

About his rousing orchestral music for the series, Dominik Scherrer said that ”on a show like Primeval the music does quite a lot, and there is also quite a lot of it – perhaps around eighty-five percent of screen time is scored, sometimes it may just be a little pulse in the background, other times full orchestral action extravagance.” About the striking theme, Scherrer explained that ”the central feel is that of majesty and adventure, reflecting the momentous occasion of mankind linking up with the pre-historic past and also the majesty of the creatures themselves – they are dangerous and wonderful.”

MovieScore Media (http://www.moviescoremedia.com) has been nominated for the International Film Music Critics Association ’Soundtrack Label of the Year’ award five years in a row and has released original music from over 150 films on CD and digitally online. It is distributed in the UK by RSK Entertainment and in the USA by Screen Archives Entertainment.[/endquote]