• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. justin boggan wrote

And there's a new limited edition John Williams coming any time now; title unknown.

Yes... could it possibly be... It's 20 years since '91 after all... would be the perfect time for this one... hoping for a confirmation any day now...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2011
    My "holy grails" are near done and dusted, there's probably only a handful of scores from the past that I still really want.

It doesn't bother me, but I'll hope a title begining with H done by John Williams and not limited to just over 1000 copies is announced for you soon smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. If that one is released at anything less than 10000 copies, I'll cut off a vital body part...

...off someone.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    If that one is released at anything less than 10000 copies, I'll cut off a vital body part...

...off someone.

biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    If that one is released at anything less than 10000 copies, I'll cut off a vital body part...

...off someone.

biggrin

I call dibbs on Thor. I also exempt myself from harvest.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    DreamTheater wrote

...off someone.

Something that can be replaced by a... hook?
  5. If you have the 2 CD boot but hardly listen to it is this release worth it? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. BobdH wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

...off someone.

Something that can be replaced by a... hook?

cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    justin boggan wrote

And there's a new limited edition John Williams coming any time now; title unknown.

Yes... could it possibly be... It's 20 years since '91 after all... would be the perfect time for this one... hoping for a confirmation any day now...

I do believe it is that. Not a holy grail of mine (I like the score but for some reason never, ever think of listening to it) but it will be nice for its many fans, assuming it is indeed that one.
  7. Oh this is one that I'll listen to about once a year, just like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Superman... It's THAT brilliant in my book.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    If we are talking about what I think we're talking about, it's that kind of score I don't listen a lot to, but when I listen to it, I remember what such brilliant moments it has. Big moments, as well as brilliant little thematic stuff, like the Tinkerbell material. It really is a very fun and great score by Williams, for quite an underrated film. I mean, no matter how unstructured and flawed it is, as entertainment it's still miles ahead of modern blockbusters. It's quite a wholesome family film.
  8. Posted by Bruce at FSM:

"As noted, both Thelma AND Louise will be shipping really early - this Wednesday. We'll also be announcing our 99th CD release at that time - it won't be of much interest to those here, but it's in conjunction with our first Blu-ray release, so that's just the way it worked out. That, of course, will be followed by our 100th release two weeks from today. It's ever so amusing that another release by the same composer from the same era is being rushed out the week before, but as far as I'm concerned that's good news, not bad news. If we can have a Goldsmith Glut I suppose we can have an Bernstein Bonanza."

It's been the year of Elmer and Jerry. Can't say I have any complaints.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  9. BobdH wrote
    If we are talking about what I think we're talking about, it's that kind of score I don't listen a lot to, but when I listen to it, I remember what such brilliant moments it has. Big moments, as well as brilliant little thematic stuff, like the Tinkerbell material. It really is a very fun and great score by Williams, for quite an underrated film. I mean, no matter how unstructured and flawed it is, as entertainment it's still miles ahead of modern blockbusters. It's quite a wholesome family film.

I've never regarded the film as flawed... more like magical and adventurous fun. From start to end. Speaking to my inner child. The kind of film that each and every time will make me feel all these incredible emotions... from pure sadness to overwhelming joy. When the movie is over, I always feel like a million bucks. For me personally, it's the ultimate feelgood film. It's a Spielberg classic in my book.

And the score has never failed to help the film in that respect. Which is why I return to it as often as I can.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2011 edited
    HOOK is kinda underrated as a film. It has some fantastic production values, for example. But certainly some flaws too, esp. in the saccharine department.

The score is superb and one of my favs, but the album DOES tend to meander on a bit in the action tracks. An expansion is obviously out of the question for me, as I even think the existing release could do with some serious trimming (I once had a 2CD boot, but the musical presentation was so horrible that I angrily threw it in the trash bin).
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Dustin Hoffman as that mean scary man is pretty hilarious! There's just so much to like about his performance that he ignites the screen like the best of them.

Indeed the production values are top notch. And you clearly see the fun cast & crew must have had on those awesome looking sets.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2011
    I have opposing views to this appalling movie and will keep them to myself. tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Aaah, but what a score! A deluxe release would be most welcome! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The score is good, though not a favourite of mine and I'll not be bothering with an expanded release, I'm happy for everyone who really wants this. smile
  11. Timmer wrote
    I have opposing views to this appalling movie and will keep them to myself. tongue

So what is it that appalls you with Hook?

And don't hold back, let it all out, please...

I must admit that part of what makes me love the movie is my love of the score. I've stated this before but if I adore a particular score, there's a big chance the movie will be among my favourites too. That's just how I'm built. smile
  12. Now there's two limited edition Williams coming.
  13. "We will certainly be doing more screenings like this to kick off our upcoming releases.

MV"

Refering to the screening o "1941".

Question: who wants to see plastic Batman nipples again?

tongue
  14. The new BuySoundtrax releases:

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2011
    justin boggan wrote
    The new BuySoundtrax releases:

Greatest Miracle(Mark McKenzie) :

shocked
    Holy cow! THAT's a surprise!
    Definite must-buy! As in "RIGHT NOW"!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  15. You were ... dumstruck by the releases, you're saying? ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2011
    Martijn wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    The new BuySoundtrax releases:

Greatest Miracle(Mark McKenzie) :

shocked
    Holy cow! THAT's a surprise!
    Definite must-buy! As in "RIGHT NOW"!

Absolutely.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2011 edited
    Is it really that good?

I read it was also played in Madrid, when the pope passed by for a celebration of brainwashed youth.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2011
    Bregt wrote
    Is it really that good?

I read it was also played in Madrid, when the pope passed by for a celebration of brainwashed youth.

You killed me Bregt lol
  16. Just to clear the air:

The Fall cd we currently have coming out will be limited to 2500 units and contains the original LP program remastered from the original tapes housed at Sony. Sadly, the complete score is nowhere to be found, but we did manage to put a few "bonus tracks" on this release. Notes are by Jeff Bond and art will be by Jim Titus. Its expected to be out 1st quarter 2012, as part of our countdown to our 200th release. It sounds awesome!

As a Tiomkin fan I cannot wait to get this new recording. I hear its magnificent. . .and complete! A must BUY!

MV

Hopefully that means a special 200th release, and not a surprise Lukas-style announcement of counting down to the final release. Period.
  17. New releases:

Quartet Records is proud to present three new releases...

FELLINI SATYRICON / FELLINI ROMA - Nino Rota

Two classic Nino Rota scores for the films of Federico Fellini on one CD!

Satyricon (1969) was one of the few adaptations helmed by Fellini during his career, based on the fragmented novel of the same title by Petronius. Described as one of "the most profoundly homosexual movie in all history", the story tells the picaresque journey of a former gladiator, who is in search of his boy lover. Nino Rota composed one of his most unusual scores for the film, evoking barbaric rhythms and ancient-sounding instruments to underscore the colorful visual cacophony of the film.

Although the score had been released previously on CD (included in a compilation of "Fellini-Rota" in 2003, now out-of-print), those issue were produced from LPs sources, whereas this CD has been mastered from the first generation stereo master tapes, recently discovered in the vaults of EMI Italy.
    Roma (1972) is a more personal project from Fellini, who creates a lively portrayal of the city through several memorable if barely related vignettes. By showing different aspects of the Italian capitol from different eras, Fellini creates an enjoyable mosaic which discusses his first trip to Rome as a child, his discovery of the city at the age of 18 and meta-trip during which he is making a film about Rome. Nino Rota's underscore is a mostly monothematic offering ("Aria di Roma") apart from some of the more colorful musical sequences (such as the 4-part "Ecclesiastical Fashion Show").

Our program of Roma's underscore contains the complete score used in the film, hence they are in mono quality. When the film was released in US, United Artists Records issued a soundtrack which contained five Rota tracks in addition to suites of source music, such as a selection from the Barafonda Theater’s program or various compositions from the piazza episode. These suites contained the occasional ambience to better reflect on the film’s aural experience, but this program essentially resulted in a souvenir record rather than an actual score release. Although the five Rota tracks were re-recording in stereo, these tracks were not available for inclusion on this CD. Still, you get to hear all the complete Rota score recorded for the film in the best currently possible sound quality restored and mastered by Claudio Fuiano.

The CD is lavishly illustrated 24-page full color booklet contains an essay by Gergely Hubai, which gives a brief overview of the Fellini/Rota collaborationship in addition to detailed essays on both films and scores.

LA PREDA - Franco Bixio & Vince Tempera - Conducted by Fabio Frizzi

Premiere release of long-awaited sensual LP, composed by Franco Bixio and Vince Tempera, and conducted by Fabio Frizzi. The famous trio Bixio-Frizzi-Tempera.
    La Preda (aka The Prey) is a somewhat forgotten Italian softcore film directed by Domenico Paolella and starring the striking ebony beauty Zeudi Araya. Shot in Colombia, the story is about one man's quest to free the native servant he is in love with... and see someone else fell in passionate love with the girl!
    Previously released on LP by Cinevox, this disc is a great companion to our previous CD of Amore Libero (QRSCE012) composed by Fabio Frizzi. He is now joined by fellow composers Franco Bixio and Vince Tempera, who often worked together as a trio. Their exciting collaboration offers tender romantic melodies and a hint of Latin American culture through various source tracks. This album is mastered and restored by Claudio Fuiano.
    The package included 8-page booklet contains mosaic stills from the film, accompanied by an essay from Gergely Hubai, who discusses the movie, the composers and their score. Contains previously unreleased bonus track, a piano demo of the addictive main theme.

SIN NOTICIAS DE DIOS/ NADIE HABLARÁ DE NOSOTRAS CUANDO HAYAMOS MUERTO
    Bernardo Bonezzi

Premiere release of two films by Agustín Díaz Yanes (Alatriste) by Spanish composer Bernardo Bonezzi.

"Sin noticias de Dios" (aka "Don't Temp Me", 2001), starring Penélope Cruz, Victoria Abril and Gael García Bernal, is a black thriller-comedy that tells the bizarre story of a boxer whose soul is disputed by a secret agent from the heaven (Abril) and another from hell (Cruz). The unusual, powerful and also bizarre music composed by Bonezzi, performed by The City of Prague Philarmonic Orchestra, was nominated for the Goya Awards (the Spanish Oscar) and won the Spanish Critics Award for Best Film Score in 2001.

The drama-thriller "Nadie hablará de nosotras cuando hayamos muerto" (1995), starring Victoria Abril, Pilar Bardem and Federico Luppi, was the first collaboration of Bonezzi with Diaz Yanes. The innovative and short score, written for trumpet, saxophone, electric guitar and electronics, won the Goya Award (the only in the Bonezzi's career). In 1997 was released a promo CD with the complete score (18 minutes), but this album marks the first official and commercial edition.

Two opposite faces in the work of a essential composer in the history of Spanish cinema.

The three releases are availables for Pre-Order. The CD's be sent from the next October 12th.

For more info and hear audio samples, please visit www.quartetrecords.com
  18. Seen at FSM:

"According to Lalaland's facebook page, TRADING PLACES is coming October 11."

By: Elmer Bernstein.