• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2012
    Southall wrote
    inevitably that is through second or third releases of the same title, with varying degrees of incremental improvement.

Yup. But I have to wonder whether that's going to prove a viable marketing strategy?
    I guess only time will tell.

I certainly agree there seems to be neither ill will nor any (intentional) nastiness here.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2012 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    To be perfectly honest, I don't care this way or that way. These things aren't designed for me in the first place. They could release it a million times, and I still wouldn't buy any of them as long as they were C&C.

But if it were an Elfman or Williams release then you'd be singing a different song, wouldn't you? tongue

-Erik-

Not really, no. I don't buy C&C releases of those either (although I've tried a few times, and regretted it).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Not really, no. I don't buy C&C releases of those either (although I've tried a few times, and regretted it).

Really? Ummm... I thought you were and Elfman and Williams completest?

confused

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, but he's more of a minimalist completist.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2012 edited
    Martijn wrote

biggrin applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote

He, he...something like that. I only need to have one good representation of every single composition he's done. Not every single note he's ever done. A 'title completist', if you will.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2012
    biggrin
    Kazoo
  1. But Thor, wouldn't you say there's some value in complete, chronological releases of scores? Surely you're not suggesting we should go back to the old days when every Varese Sarabande CD ran either 29 minutes or 44 minutes?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2012
    tongue
    I am extremely serious.
  2. New from Music Box Records -- direct link to the FSM thread with details, instead of copying & pasting:
    http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Seems the double-bill CD from Kritzerland has been guessed -- two Hugo Friedhofer efforts:

"The Barbarian and the Geisha"
    "Violent Saturday"

The next Intrada (just one, as the second title was moved to the next batch) hasn't been guessed yet, though the consensus -- so far (subject to change), seems to be:

"White Fang" 2CD
    Poledouris / Zimmer
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. justin boggan wrote

The next Intrada (just one, as the second title was moved to the next batch) hasn't been guessed yet, though the consensus -- so far (subject to change), seems to be:

"White Fang" 2CD
    Poledouris / Zimmer

if that's the case, it will sell out quickly
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. Upcoming Persey Release of Michael Convertino's Wake Wood –
    Nominated for Best Film Score

Soundtrack will be available exclusively at Perseverance Records.

Composer Michael Convertino has been nominated for the 2012 Fangoria Chainsaw Awards. In the category of Best Score, Convertino's soundtrack from the horror film "Wake Wood" (2011) is one of the six nominees.

At the end of April, Perseverance Records is going to release the "Wake Wood" score with 22 tracks and a running time of roughly 70 minutes. The CD will be available at a price of $15.98. The soundtrack from "Wake Wood" will be available for the first time and at Perseverance exclusively.

In advance, short versions of three tracks are available to listen to:

Ritual - http://www.perseverancerecords.com/RitualSuiteEdit.mp3
    Peggicide - http://www.perseverancerecords.com/Peggicide.mp3
    End Title (Postlude) - http://www.perseverancerecords.com/EndTitlePostlude.mp3

In "Wake Wood," Aidan Gillen and Eva Birthistle play a couple that have lost their 9-year-old daughter. Relocating to a town called Wake Wood, the village's leader, played by Timothy Spall, tells them about a pagan ritual and the chance to spend three more days with their child. "Wake Wood" was directed by David Keating, who was nominated for the "Silver Raven" in the category Best Director at the Brussels International Festival of Fantasy Film.

Vote for this soundtrack by naming Michael Convertino and the movie "Wake Wood" (category Best Score) in an email sent to postalzone[at]starloggroup[dot]com. Deadline for ballots is April 25. Results will be published both in issue #315 of the magazine (on sale in June) and on the Fangoria Web site the same month. For a complete list of the eligible nominees go to www.fangoria.com.
  6. The new Quartet Records (quartetrecords.com) are:

"Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia" (Fielding; complete)

"Una questione d’onore" (Bacalov)

I can't get the page for the Bacalov title to work right now and before I wrote this, nobody posted the tracklisting on FSM, so I can't say how much more music was added over the old OST.
    But I did listen to a couple tracks on Youtube and really liked it. I encourage others to give it a try:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wazKm9dX … re=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOC5ggAv6lw
  7. How many times has the Fielding been released now on CD in one form or another?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/titl … edo+Garcia

The old Film Music 3, and the OOP 2004 Intrada edition.

This would be the second time for the expanded score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2012
    The Fielding score is wonderful. Recommend it to those who don't have the Intrada.
  9. Nic Raine has posted this on Facebook:

"... Another company is issuing all the 10 Commandments recordings soon so no need for us to duplicate that."

Could this be? FSM? Did that with "Be Hur" recently, and it would be a hell of a BANG for the final five(?).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2012
    It would be!
    I wasn't aware there were more than two issues, actually (I'm quite sure a trip to www. soundtrackcollector.com wioll prove me disastrously wrong wink ), so yeah, looking very much forward to this should that release (those releases?) come to pass!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    justin boggan wrote
    Nic Raine has posted this on Facebook:

"... Another company is issuing all the 10 Commandments recordings soon so no need for us to duplicate that."

Could this be? FSM? Did that with "Be Hur" recently, and it would be a hell of a BANG for the final five(?).

There's a skit in there somewhere.

"Who do you want to be when you grow up, Ben?"
    "I want to Be Hur"
    "You want to be her? Who?"
    "No, Hur"

and so on.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin
    That's much better than what I was trying to come up with (but Monday mornings are NOT my best time to write skits or puns.
    Or for anything else, for that matter).
  10. Posted by Bruce (Kritzerland):

I alluded to this when this thread began, of course. All I can say is that two years ago when I was pulling stuff for one of our Paramount releases, all the Ten Commandments stuff was out and being pulled for a label. It's coming, I'd say most certainly.
  11. No need to re-word, here's a copy and past from an FSM thread:

From a new interview conducted with MV Gerhard:
    http://www.underscores.fr/index.php/201 … ever-land/

Last time we talked, you weren’t interested anymore in releasing video games scores. Things changed in 2011 as you released the Medal Of Honor boxed set, Socom 4 and Uncharted 3... Why did you change your mind?
    It’s like going out to a bar and seeing a hottie making eyes at you from across the room. In the past, you have been burned a few times by other "unsuccessful" experiences, but you say to yourself: "Give it another shot. It might work out." Lo and behold they all did. We are currently working with Sony on two upcoming titles called Sorcery (by Mark Mancina) and Starhawk (by Christopher Lennertz). Both will be out in May or June. We hope to add others as well.
  12. Bruce (Kritzerland) posted today at FSM:

In honor of Mr. Bernstein's birthday, I'll just say that in addition to Fear Strikes Out/The Tin Star, we've got another major Bernstein opus coming in the next few months. We've just started working on it and its a ways away, but any chance I get to do an Elmer score I do an Elmer score.

So, I was trying to think of what major Bernstein scores there are left.

For all intents and purposes, "The Ten Commandments" will be out from FSM any time now.

Intrada has "The Great Escape" out again.

"Ghostbusters", while a deeply personal favorite and re-release requested title, has never been a "major Bernstein" to most Bernstein fans I've seen.

All his other major scores are covered, it appears to me after scanning over his IMDB credits. Anybody got any ideas?
  13. justin boggan wrote
    All his other major scores are covered, it appears to me after scanning over his IMDB credits. Anybody got any ideas?

Two that spring to mind are Sweet Smell of Success or The Man With The Golden Arm. Both have had releases before but that doesn't mean anything nowadays. I suppose these could be seen as "landmark scores" worthy of the title "opus"?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  14. I forgot to post this quote from LLLR:

Planet Of The Apes is most likely the last of the expansions of the Elfman/Burton series of soundtracks. The box set did such a great job covering their collaboration I certainly see no point in releasing another version of the remaining scores in the future. Both Batman Returns and Planet Of The Apes were already being produced at the time of the box set’s announcement, so those two titles made the cut. As for other Elfman titles, you never can tell.

That's a huge shame. Such wonderful titles being skipped here:

"Edward Scissorhands"
    "Pee Wee's Big Adventure"
    "The Nightmare For Christmas"
  15. Posted by LLLR at FSM -- I guess Universal still has their buttcheeks firmly clentched:

Disney, Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures, Marimax (some titles), Hollywood Records, etc. . . are strictly Intrada territory (that goes for all live action and animated films and tv shows)

So, here is a breakdown of titles you will likely never see released from us:

HARRY POTTER
    STAR WARS
    INDIANA JONES
    DISNEY (ANIMATED AND LIVE ACTION)
    JURASSIC PARK

I wouldn't hold my breath on any title coming out from LLL in regards to Universal titles (An exception might be Bear McCreary related titles) either or anything by Bruce Broughton or James Horner (both Intrada territory).

MV
  16. New from Hwolin' Wolf Records:
    http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0
  17. Today must be Hints day, as Quartet and LLLR have both posted clues -- LLLR a BUNCH:

Facebook post:

"Two new releases coming later this week. Again, one is Italian and the other is American. The Italian is his first appearance on CD, containing more than 40 minutes of extra music not included in the old and very hard-to-find LP. It is a delightful score from the seventies.
    The American is its first appearance in any format. The film is a cult classy from the eighties, and from a beloved composer. And the score is really gorgeous!."

Now that we are well into April of 2012 some things have changed and/or have been added to our release slate.

Box sets:

We do plan on having at least 2 more "box-sets" coming out this year (ala Friday the 13th and Medal of Honor). Two other 4 disc sets originally planned to be housed in "boxes" will no longer be housed in said boxes. FSM's recent Ben Hur looks great without one and so will these releases. We feel a "box set" should consist of more than just 4 cds. It should be something special -- an event release -- and when we have a concrete idea as to when these sets will be coming out we will let you know far in advance like we did with Friday the 13th. They will be pricey, so you should be able to get a heads up on saving your bucks.

(PLEASE NOTE: This new 4 disc set policy does not apply to our upcoming X Files Volume 2. It will match Volume 1. As to when...well, the truth is out there)

Other tidbits:

Goldsmith will certainly be the flavor of the month. . . for several months. lol

Williams will certainly be well represented as well. wink

A few more Golden Age titles are in the works (with possibly more in 2013).

Expect more westerns, tv music, video game music, "expansions", "virgin titles" and a few improved reissues as well.

Our goal this year is to shed some focus on JNH, Hans and the late Mr. Kamen like we did with other LLL favs like Ms. Walker, Danny, Mr. Morris and David Arnold.

There is a lot of great stuff coming up. Our 10th year in business is as busy as ever!

MV
  18. And another label unleashes clues. From BuySoundtrax's Facebook:

Early this Thursday (4/19/2012) BSX RECORDS will be announcing two new releases.

Both titles are limited to 1000 Units.

The First is score is from a 1980's Science Fiction Epic that marks its first ever release on any audio format. The composer will be signing the first 100 copies purchased through the BSX web site.

The Second score is also from the 1980's from an almost forgotten gem of film with a cast and director who went on to much bigger projects. The Score is all over the map, A Jazzy Love theme, Creepy Music for the film's villain, exciting chases and even a song from one of the great American lyricists of the 20th Century.

The Composer will be signing the first 100 copies that are purchased through the BSX web site.

Spread the word!