• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2012
    yeah

Good on those that want it though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Tim, have you heard Nick and Masa? Still one of the very best Zimmer anthems.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, it's pretty enough but it doesn't knock my socks off or anything.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Tim, have you heard Nick and Masa? Still one of the very best Zimmer anthems.

AND, I would argue....one of, if not THE, very FIRST power anthem in the form we more or less know it today. Lots of awesome ethnic tinges too. It's on my alltime Top 10 Zimmer for a reason.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. New from Quartet Records:

"Women In Love"
    By: Goerges Delerue

http://www.quartetrecords.com/women-in-love-1.html

Oh, and BuySoundtrax will be releasing more Morton Stevens scores this year.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. News Victor Young trio release:

FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS/GOLDEN EARRINGS/OMAR KHAYYAM on CD.
    http://www.disquescinemusique.com/engli … 139_E.html

FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS (1943)
    Violin solo by Louis Kaufman

01 The Massacre and Love Theme 3:06
    02 Pablo's Gypsy Cave 2:54
    03 The Earth Moved (Love Theme) 2:56
    04 Pilar's Warning 3:07
    05 Maria's Tale Of Horror 3:05
    06 Roberto's Farewell 3:05
    07 Intermission Music 4:36
    TT 22:46

GOLDEN EARRINGS (1947)
    Violin solo by Victor Arno

08 Prelude 3:08
    09 Escape and Lament - Gypsy soloist Elissa Garde 3:07
    10 By the River 3:16
    11 Gypsy Camp 3:00
    12 Love Theme and Gypsy Dance 3:05
    13 Finale 2:48
    TT 18:25

OMAR KHAYYAM (1957)

14 Prelude to Omar Khayyam 2:43
    15 His First Love 2:58
    16 The Gift of Hapani 2:34
    17 Omar Accepts Yaffa 2:13
    18 Secret Meeting 2:38
    19 Hindu Dance 2:04
    20 Seven Secret Maxims 2:18
    21 End Title 5:51
    TT 23:00

Total Time: 65:00
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Seems like every other day we get more new CD's. Anyway.

Next Kritzerland hasn't been guessed, but it's a Rozsa score.

And new from Music Box Records:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0
  5. New release with selections from unreleased Rosenman scores, from Film Music Society (have to be paid member to purchase their releases):
    http://www.filmmusicsociety.org/news_ev … 80312.html

Looks like they found some tapes for "Combat!" (TV series), as previously they couldn't be located.

And thanks to a new clue unsuspectedly dropped, the August 7th Intrada is:

"North By Northwest"
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2012 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    And thanks to a new clue unsuspectedly dropped, the August 7th Intrada is:

"North By Northwest"

Now why would you want to re-release that? The awesome complete re-recording by Joel McNeely took quite a while until it was sold out (even though it's the only way to get the fandango main theme in good, stereo condition), while the original film recording of the complete score is freely available. It will probably be a complete restoration of the original recording, with better sound, but still, I wonder how successful this will be, even though it's such a brilliant score of course. Why not focus on other, more deserving Herrmann scores?
  6. Because some people, in fact, quite a lot, like original recordings. And the complete original score has problems with the audio (which the DVD isolated score, oddly, solved).

This is the End All, Be All version -- the perfect one.

There's not a lot of surviving tapes for Herrmann scores, about over half the unreleased stuff only survives (unless tapes are found) on other formats:

Non FOX Herrmann masters known to be missing:

-Citizen Kane
    -The Devil and Daniel Webster *
    -The Magnificent Ambersons
    -On Dangerous Ground *
    -Psycho *
    -Jason and the Argonauts
    -Fahrenheit 451 *
    -The Bride Wore Black *
    -Twisted Nerve *
    -Battle of Neretva *
    -The Night Digger *
    -Endless Night
    -Sisters *
    -It's Alive *

Unknown: Naked and the Dead (Heard rumors that it exists)

*At least partially surviving in other format (acetates, VINYL master, mix-downs, stems, etc)
  7. Bad news from Intrada in regards to "To Kill a Mocking Bird":

Roger:
    We tried to do TKAM. Even got the original elements and restored them, but got thrown a curve ball when the licensor turned out to be the film's producer who refused to consider licensing the rights.

I only see one producer on imdb: Alan J. Pakula, and he's dead.

I thought maybe they meant the director, but he's dead, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012
    It's one of the greatest film scores of all, but there are two perfectly good Bernstein-conducted re-recordings, so it doesn't seem to be particularly bad news to me.
  8. justin boggan wrote
    Bad news from Intrada in regards to "To Kill a Mocking Bird":

Roger:
    We tried to do TKAM. Even got the original elements and restored them, but got thrown a curve ball when the licensor turned out to be the film's producer who refused to consider licensing the rights.

I only see one producer on imdb: Alan J. Pakula, and he's dead.

I thought maybe they meant the director, but he's dead, too.

LLLR weighed in on this at FSM and they broke bad news, too:

Our Tiomkin's Old Man and the Sea 2 cd set was recently canceled due to similiar reasons. The sucky thing is, it was assembled, mastered and liner notes were written. I hope Intrada wasn't that far into TKAMB. If so, I feel their pain

C'est la vie!

MV

EDIT:
    Less than 30 copies of the Delerue title left at Quartet.
  9. Just announced:

15CD set of "Star Trek" (TOS) scores:
    http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0
  10. Update from MV:

Just to let you guys know we are getting your requests and the server is sending them out as quickly as they can. The response has been overwhelming. We are very excited about this massive endeavor. If you do not receive an email confirmation just email us at:

info@lalaland-ent.com

and I will persoanlly confirm your request.

The cost will be $200.00 to $225.00...the final price to be determined in the coming months.

We are aiming for a late November release date

This will be a limited edition, but we do not know yet how many we will be pressing up. You guys will determine that in the coming months, but judging from the initial response I am guessing at least 3000 to 5000 units.

Now back to the convention!

MV
  11. The next Kritzerland CD coming is:

"The Strange Love of Martha Ivers"
    By: Miklos Rozsa
  12. justin boggan wrote
    The next Kritzerland CD coming is:

"The Strange Love of Martha Ivers"
    By: Miklos Rozsa

Announced earlier today. Kimmel is reporting it's doing well; it started with 1,000 copies and there are less than 300 left (or is that "fewer then"?).

http://www.kritzerland.com/ivers.htm

EDIT:

Three hours later and now it's under 200 left.
  13. Posted by an FSM member; I don't have an FSM Online paid membership, so I can't post the exact quote from the interview, but this user says:

Tyler confirmed on FSM Online that LLL is working on a 2-CD set of his scores for this show. Hooray!

This is in regars to the cancelled "Terra Nova" series.

EDIT:
    I forgot to post this a coupld days ago -- I posted it at another board, but not here. Shame on me. The Volume 2 4CD set of "The X-Files" has been pushed back:

As for Volume 2, it will be arriving first quarter 2013. This Trek Set has taken up a lot of our time and financial resources and projects like X Files Vol 2 had to be pushed back to a later date.
    The only remaining "box sets" you can expect from LLL in 2012 are DS9 and TOS.

MV
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2012 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    Tyler confirmed on FSM Online that LLL is working on a 2-CD set of his scores for this show. Hooray!

This is in regars to the cancelled "Terra Nova" series.

Sounds great. The music was probably the best thing about that whole business. Slightly repetitive and hardly very original, but it would be nice to have.
  14. hainshisway: (Kritzerland)
    Robert0320:
    The fact that this score exists at all is cause for celebration. Now, how about SORRY, WRONG NUMBER

I'm just gonna say this - we have some really amazing things coming up, many of which are Golden Age titles - we will not give up the ghost. Most of these releases will either be world premiere or new to CD things by a whole array of great composers. We have a few things we're reissuing but that's all stuff that's been out of print for almost a decade.
  15. Intrada's next batch appears to have been nailed down:

"Strange Invaders" (John Addison)
    "Last Flight of Noah's Ark" (Maurice Jarre)

And posted by Kritzerland on the 18th at the FSM board:

And Kritzerland will soon do its ninth Elmer CD, which will be followed by a couple more. More Elmer on Kritzerland than any other composer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2012
    BODY HEAT
  16. From LLLR Facebook posts, according to FSM posters, the next two LLLR CD's are:

"Shane" (Victor Young)
    and
    "Smallville" 2CD (I think it's going to be a Febre/Snow combo. CD 1 is the MP3 release, only not MP3, and the second CD unreleased score)

EDIT:

"Howdy pardners

Summer of 2012 has been one heck of season for us cowpokes at La La Land. June kicked off with Star Trek TMP and 3 other fantastic Goldsmith scores. In July we rolled into Comic Con with not one, not two, not three but FOUR new comic book related scores, including a 4 disc set of Batman The Animated Series Volume 2. We came back from the con and sold you a USED CAR and then headed on out to Vegas to make one of the biggest, if not THE biggest, soundtrack announcements of all time – our upcoming 15 disc box set from Star Trek The Original Series. The last few months have been such a whirlwind of activity I almost forgot how to go back to our regular bi-weekly announcements – lol.

I’m a little rusty but here goes:

SHANE
    MUSIC BY VICTOR YOUNG
    LLLCD 1224
    LIMITED EDITION OF 2000 UNITS
    RETAIL PRICE: $19.98

PRODUCED BY NEIL S. BULK and CHRIS MALONE
    MASTERED BY DOUG SCHWARTZ at MULHOLLAND MUSIC
    LINER NOTES BY JIM LOCHNER
    ART DIRECTION BY JIM TITUS

La-La Land Records and Paramount Pictures continue to celebrate the centennial birthday of the studio by rolling out Victor Young’s unforgettable score to George Steven’s 1952 western masterpiece SHANE. This landmark release presents the surviving cues from the 35mm monaural magnetic film found in the Paramount vaults, supplemented by a few choice cues from the film’s music and effects track. Lukas Kendall supervised this complex restoration as producer’s Neil S Bulk and Chris Malone worked their magic to restore one of cinema’s greatest Western scores. In depth liner notes by Jim Lochner and fantastic art direction by Jim Titus round out this superb package!

Now we ride from the Old West into a quaint little town in Kansas where one of Earth’s Greatest Heroes is from.

SMALLVILLE: DELUXE EDITION
    MUSIC BY MARK SNOW AND LOUIS FEBRE
    LLLCD 1216
    LIMITED EDITION OF 3000 UNITS
    RETAIL PRICE: $19.98

PRODUCED BY MV GERHARD
    MASTERED BY JAMES NELSON at DIGITAL OUTLAND
    LINER NOTES BY BRIAN SATTERWHITE
    ART DIRECTION BY MARK BANNING

La-La Land Records, Watertower Music, DC Comics and Warner Bros Television are proud to announce a 2 cd set of music highlighting some of the very best music from the hit television series SMALLVILLE. Jam packed with 2 ½ hours of music from all 10 seasons, this compilation is filled with intense action music and tender themes that will take fans back to their favorite moments of the series. Disc one repeats the same program featured on the 2010 digital release, but Disc two features over an hour of never before released music from composers Mark Snow and Louis Febre. Informative liner notes by Brian Satterwhite fill up the 28 page booklet design by art director Mark Banning.

The first 100 or so customers who order this cd at www.lalalandrecords.com will receive an autographed booklet signed by composers Mark Snow and Louis Febre free of charge. Please note supplies are limited. . .you are not guaranteed an autograph.

Not a bad way to end one heck of a summer!

Both cds go on sale next Tuesday, August 28, 2012 at 1 pm pst at www.lalalandrecords.com and other fine online stores.

See y’all then!"
  17. Months after his passing, BuySoundtrax releases the long since announce, but never came out, "Helen of Troy" (Joel Goldsmith):

http://buysoundtrax.stores.yahoo.net/heoftrormiso.html
    SRP: $19.95
    LIMTIED EDITION OF 1000 UNITS

LISTEN TO A SOUNDCLIP FROM the score for HELEN OF TROY
    http://www.buysoundtrax.com/Audio/Helen … 0Title.mp3

(August 22nd, 2012, Los Angeles, CA) FreeClyde Records, to be distributed by BuySoundtrax Records, will be releasing HELEN OF TROY, featuring music composed by Joel Goldsmith (STARGATE UNIVERSE, STARGATE ATLANTIS, STARGATE SG-1) for the 2003 television mini-series directed by John Kent Harrison (GAME OF YOUR LIFE, YOU KNOW MY NAME), starring Matthew Marsden (RAMBO, RESIDENT EVIL: EXTINCTION), Rufus Sewell (DARK CITY, A KNIGHT’S TALE, THE ILLUSIONIST), James Callis (BATTLESTAR GALACTICA), John Rhys-Davies (RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING), Maryam d’Abo (THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS), Stellan Skarsgard (GOOD WILL HUNTING, KING ARTHUR, GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO) and Sienna Guillory (THE TIME MACHINE, RESIDENT EVIL: APOCALYPSE, THE HEART OF THE EARTH), as Helen.

Based on THE ILIAD, one of the most epic adventure stories of all time, HELEN OF TROY was originally broadcast in two parts on the USA Network in 2003. Inspired by Homer’s classic tale, shot in exotic locations, featuring an international cast and state-of-the-art special effects, HELEN OF TROY was an attempt to depict the legendary battle fought to win the love of the world’s most beautiful woman and make it relatable to a modern audience.

HELEN OF TROY tells the story of Helen (Guillory) who is married to Menelaus, King Of Sparta (Callis) but falls madly in love with Paris, Prince Of Troy (Marsden). Together, the lovers flee Sparta for Troy, where Paris’ father, Priam (Rhys-Davies) offers them safe haven. Menelaus’ brother, the ruthless Agamemnon (Sewell) uses the excuse to recover Helen for his brother as an opportunity to expand their empire by invading Troy and leads the Spartan army to the shores of the legendary fortified city. After a siege of ten years, the Spartans change their tactics and are able to gain entrance to Troy by hiding within the fabled Trojan Horse, allowing them to strike from within and bring the Trojan War to a tragic close.

Long anticipated by fans of the composer, HELEN OF TROY was one of the biggest projects of Joel Goldsmith’s career but did not receive an album release at the time. FreeClyde Records, to be distributed by BuySoundtrax Records, now presents the original television soundtrack to HELEN OF TROY on compact disc for the first time, featuring music composed by Joel Goldsmith for the epic mini-series, produced by the composer and mastered by James Nelson of Digital Outland.

Orders placed through www.buysoundtrax.com will receive a special bonus disc prepared by the composer as a gift to his fans.

HELEN OF TROY is a limited edition of 1000 units.

HELEN OF TROY is available for pre-order at www.buysoundtrax.com for $19.95 and is expected to start shipping on September 12, 2012.

1. Main Title 2:04
    2. Troy Will Burn 1:30
    3. Helen 1:37
    4. Enter Sparta 1:28
    5. Soldiers Attack Paris 1:36
    6. First Look At Troy 1:47
    7. Paris Fights On 2:02
    8. Brotherly Knife Fight 2:08
    9. Helen On Display 1:53
    10. Helen Tries Suicide 2:04
    11. Paris Escapes With Helen 2:36
    12. Through The Storm 1:14
    13. Agamemnon's Sacrifice 3:05
    14. The Greek Fleet Arrives 3:58
    15. Agamemnon Wades Ashore 1:24
    16. The Battle Begins 4:46
    17. The Battle Continues 3:05
    18. Agamemnon Wants Peace 1:48
    19. Hector And Achilles Fight 5:12
    20. Agamemnon Kills Paris 3:59
    21. Trojan Horse 0:48
    22. The Horse Is Brought Inside 2:33
    23. Greek Sneak Attack 3:21
    24. Agamemnon Kills Priam 2:28
    25. The Rape Of Helen 1:29
    26. Clytemnestra Arrives
    In Troy 1:14
    27. Clytemnestra's Fury 1:02
    28. Helen's Vision Of Paris 1:57
    29. End Credits 2:03
    Total Time: 66:37

And

"The Wind That Shakes the Barley" (George Fenton)

George Fenton provides a highly dramatical and beautiful score, rich in suspence and action cues for this 2006 Irish war drama film, craftily managing to keep the score from being invasive. The film was directed by Ken Loach and set during the Irish War of Independence and the Irish Civil War. The film won the Palme d'Or at the 2006 Cannes Film Festival.

"The first 20 people to order this CD directly from Kronos Records will recieve an additional autographed booklet by Maestro George Fenton.

"This CD is limited to 500 copies
    TO BE RELEASED IN OCTOBER 2012"

http://www.kronosrecords.com/shop/index.html
  18. The next Kritzerland is:

"Strategic Air Command"
    By: Victor Young

And Bruce has very nice words to say about it:

[...] is one of Victor Young's finest scores. I don't know what it is about films that have to do with aviation, but it certainly brings out the best in the composers - Waxman's Spirit of St. Louis, Tiomkin's The High and The Mighty, Goldsmith's The Blue Max and standing tall among them Young's Strategic Air Command.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2012
    That actually sounds quite promising!
    Heading over to Kritzerland to see...well, hear if there are some clips up!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    There ain't. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  19. That's because it's only been revealed, not announced for sale yet. I would guess a week, two weeks it's coming.
  20. Sorry, is Joel Goldsmith dead? ('Months after his passing'). If so, I completely missed that. Did he die young?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall