• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Updates:

Coming July 29.

Some information of missing score:
    For your X-scholars out there:

Working on this, we did find some unused tracks (not in final film)

5m4 Roadside Memorial - 1:36
    6m1a Man in the Shadows - 0:36

The track “Remants” comes between these two cues.

At the request of the composer, these tracks were cut from this final release.

These are the tracks that ARE in the film, but could not be located for this release...

2m2 Rooftops - :26

3m2 Hole in the Wall - :27

10m1 Bee Collar - :10

15m1 Smoking Telegram - 2:57

As stated before, the only REAL heartbreaker here is "Smoking Telegram"

MV

As for "Smoking Telegra":
    (here's the cue ripped from DVD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uszYS6eBajk)
    Initially there was NO music in that scene. Last minute, Carter asked Snow to compose something so they can slap it in the film. He went to his piano and hammered something out and sent it in. That story comes directly from Mr. Snow himself during a conversation I had with him many months ago. Of all people who is bummed it can't be found it's him.

Maybe one day it will turn up, but after spending nearly 2 years looking for it (even going through each of his personal DATS dated within a year of the film and tv scores) we had to end the search.

MV

And:
    There will be signed copies.

It sounds bleepin amazing! The work that Mr Redman, Mike and Neil Bulk did on this is great! Julie's notes are sharp and informative...and Randall's 3 part section (3 different interviews conducted June 1997, May 1998 and April 2014) is fascinating to say the least.

And then you have Jim Titus art direction...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2014
    Thanks Justin for keeping me up to date with the releases. I can say that there are four MMM recordings coming out very very soon.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  2. You're welcome.

The Hefti double header is due Monday morning, according to Kimmel over at FSM.

Also, another CD coming from Kritzerland:

"Centennial Summer".

Jerome Kern's last film, and scoring by Alfred Newman.
    haineshisway:
    "The CD is seventy-eight minutes - probably half or more of that is instrumental. Even the songs have long instrumental lead-ins and outs and middle sections."

"For those who are worried - there are seven Kern songs - the rest of the album are Newman's wonderful adaptations of Kern and his own beautiful music - it's one of the most magical things ever."
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. News from Intrada (EDITED BELOW):

Our 2-CD set for Back To The Future will soon be a part of history. One of our best selling "limited editions" ever, we are just three or four boxes away from hitting the 10,000 unit maximum allowable under the current American Federation of Musicians "historical rate" policy. If you've been sitting on the fence with this one (for reasons I couldn't fathom!) it would be a good idea to pounce now. What remains here in stock is all that's left... and that ain't much.

Because Back To The Future remains one of the most important film scores of the last several decades, we have pursued a new agreement allowing us to bring a single disc release into the marketplace and keep the score available for future generations. This MAF edition will feature the score as presented on CD 1 of the current double-disc set, which is the score as heard in the picture. CD 2 with all of the bonus early recordings will simply go off into that place where, to paraphrase the Doc, "they don't need roads".

Thank you all for supporting this magnificent score.
    --Doug

EDIT:

And if you've been sitting on the fence about getting it, or any other Intrada release, they are all* on sale:

We are posting a two week sale, running from this coming Tuesday (July 22) through August 4. Our upcoming releases for this year will take whatever room is left in our two small warehouse rooms which sit within our regular office complex. The office environment is being overtaken by the warehouse environment. We're creating office cubicles out of boxes now... which isn't ideal. Employees keep disappearing behind various rows!

We love where we are and don't want to move to another location but the discussion is now actually on the table here. I say pooh on that IF we can move enough of these boxes from our hands to yours.

So... the sale will include EVERY Intrada label release, including all MAF, Signature and Special Collection titles with the single exception of the Disney/Intrada co-branded releases such as Toy Story 3, The Avengers, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and so forth. (Those have certain pricing restrictions.) But all other CDs on our label, be they recent or ancient, be they amongst our hits or our misses will be included with this special sale. The discount will apply to what we have in stock during the sale and while supplies last, of course. We will hold off for these two weeks on our new releases while the sale runs.

The discount will be 30% off of normal retail and all specially-discounted prices should be posted on the site so you need not have to calculate anything. Unless doing math is one of your other favorite hobbies - the first, of course, being to acquire new soundtracks.
    --Doug

P.S. As to creating more space here vs. moving to a new location... we're probably just kicking the can down the road. But hopefully this sale may make it easier for you to take the plunge and acquire something you've been sitting on the fence about. In any case, thank you for checking things out.

And just to clarify...we're running this sale in lieu of new releases, so you have a chance to catch up. We'll resume our schedule two weeks following.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2014
    Interesting advertising campaign. And your going to move in a dying business? Give me a break. Why don't you just switch over to downloads and the problem will be solved.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2014
    sdtom wrote
    Interesting advertising campaign. And your going to move in a dying business? Give me a break. Why don't you just switch over to downloads and the problem will be solved.
    Tom

I sure hope they don't!! I don't purchase downloads. Never have, never will.
    I for my part am very much looking forward to this sale... Will be expensive though... wink
    Bring it on and many, many more physical releases!
  4. And I've seen a couple label heads state downloads are not selling well.

Plus, it's not up to the label, with rights issues, AFM issues, etc. And they didn't say they were dying, they said they were crowded with CD's, which isn't necessarily caused by poor sales, rather they keep releasing two or four new titles a month and not everything moves overnight; that constant flow of new stock ads more CD's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2014 edited
    OK, just placed my Sale order at Intrada to fill up some gaps in my collection AND take a gamble at some titles I was curious about, but didn't want to splash out top dollar for.

That was...expensive.
    I never quite spend so much money as at events where it's suggested I'll save money! dizzy

(Yeah, yeah, I know. Relatively it's not expensive. In absolute terms though I just spenta small fortune.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2014
    BasilB wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

I sure hope they don't!! I don't purchase downloads. Never have, never will.
    I for my part am very much looking forward to this sale... Will be expensive though... wink
    Bring it on and many, many more physical releases!

And you have every right to do as you wish. It's possible to live without a cell phone which I do as well as using an old tube radio which I do.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2014
    I'm listening to a new re-release from Naxos the film music of Aram Khachaturian. It included Battle of Stalingrad and Othello. For some one who enjoys Russian classical music this would be a must have in your collection. And it is a flac download from Naxos, sounds great. Downloaded liner notes and cover and made a CD for my Honda CRV.
    Tom
  5. The Varese Sarabande CD Club is set to strike soon:
    'A' special release from the Varèse CD Club, along with some new releases in our Limited Edition series will be announced Monday, July 28.

We already know "Predator 2" is coming, so unless Townson poorly worded it, it appears just one Club title.
  6. Coming from LLLR's -- no release date (posted on their Facebook, so it most be soon):

THE IN-LAWS
    MUSIC BY JOHN MORRIS
    LIMITED EDITION OF 1500 UNITS
    LLLCD 1310
    RETAIL PRICE: $15.98

PRODUCED BY MATT VERBOYS AND NEIL S. BULK
    MASTERED BY JAMES NELSON
    LINER NOTES BY RANDALL D. LARSON
    ART DIRECTION BY DAVID C. FEIN

La-La Land Records and Warner Bros Pictures are proud to present the World Premiere release of John Morris’ classic score to the action comedy romp THE IN-LAWS, starring Alan Arkin and Peter Falk, directed by Arthur Hiller (Silver Streak, Love Story, Outrageous Fortune) and written by Andrew Bergman (Blazing Saddles, Fletch, The Freshman). When people ask why we started up La-La Land Records, we say to release scores we’ve always wanted to have in our personal collection. The In-Laws IS one of those scores! To finally bring this wonderful score to our fellow soundtrack enthusiasts is a dream come true. A TRUE HOLY GRAIL for us. This is prime John Morris (Blazing Saddles, Clue, Spaceballs) – it’s a witty, playful score filled with fantastic themes that you will be whistling for days.

(If you have never seen this hysterical film do yourself a favor and go watch it! It’s one of the zaniest and most entertaining comedies you will ever see! It’s Falk, Arkin AND Morris at their finest!)
  7. Two unexpected titles coming from Kritzerland:

About two weeks ago I happened to watch a DVD that was just released, a six-part miniseries from 2000 - Danish - called The Spider. I knew nothing about it, but being a huge fan of the original Swedish Wallander series (and having issued Adam Norden's from same for that reason) and most Swedish and Danish crime series like Bron (The Bridge) and The Killing, I thought I'd take a chance.

The miniseries is very well done, with nice period costumes and settings (the film takes place in post WWII Copenhagen), and it's compelling viewing. No real surprises, but very enjoyable with an excellent cast.

But one of the key things about this being so enjoyable is the absolutely brilliant music of Soren Hyldgaard. I knew nothing of his work and had frankly never heard of him at all. But funnily, right after I watched The Spider I watched a movie called Red - not the action/adventure comedy with Bruce Willis, but a drama starring Brian Cox. I liked it very much and its score, which was by - Soren Hyldgaard. I took that as a sign I should see what was available by him so I could buy it. Thanks to the handy-dandy search box here I found the MSM compilation - little five-minute or so suites from a lot of his work, including both The Spider and Red. I bought it and really enjoyed it tremendously, mostly because he has a wonderful melodic sense and the sensibility of the masters - The Spider is Herrmannesque, Goldsmithesque, a flavor of Morricone and Donnagio occasionally, too - and that's AOK in my book.

Those who know me know that when I fall in love with music I will do whatever it takes to get it out into the world. And so I found Soren Hyldgaard (it took a bit, but my pal, agent Jeff Kaufman, helped), we had a really nice e-mail volley and I'm happy to say Kritzerland is picking up the Hyldgaard ball and running with it. At some point there was a Danish CD of The Spider, about forty-three minutes long, but OOP for many, many years. So, the first thing we're doing is righting that wrong with a fantastic seventy-eight minute release of The Spider. I'm hoping all film music fans will give this great music a chance.

We'll also be doing Red, which will have a companion score with it. If these do well, then we'll have some others, too. It's always grand fun to discover a real talent like Soren Hyldgaard, even though he's been doing this for quite some time.
  8. Update today over at the FSM board for future [2014] La La Land Records titles:

Coming in August

Wild is the Wind - 2 cd set [Dimitri Tiomkin]
    Batman Assault on Arkham
    Thunderbirds Are Go / Thunderbird 6
    The Expendables 3

Coming this Fall

Arrow Season 2
    Eye for An Eye [James Newton Howard]
    Star Trek Enterprise
    Batman The Animated Series Vol 3

MV
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2014
    Thunderbirds Are Go / Thunderbird 6 ......YES PLEASE!!! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS deluxe by M. Giaccino

The rest of the Varese batch does not get me that exited. Maybe others around here will be.

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/ … Categories

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  10. MV said today at the FSM forum that "Black Beauty" is out of stock, and won't be back in for months.

I'm guessing they plowed through 1,000 of the 3,000 copies -- maybe more than that. Must be selling well.
  11. The next Kritzerland is a two-fer, featuring:

"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" (Cyril J. Mockridge)
    and
    "Donovan's Reef" (Cyril J. Mockridge)
  12. Liverty Valance: Nice!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2014
    Warriors of Virtue. This is one that I'll review and there will be a giveaway of a signed copy.
    Tom
  13. I'd be interested in getting that one, Tom. A good early score from Don Davis that clearly shows who he was working for in the 90s. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2014
    Be sure to enter the contest first. I'm talking with Don Davis and Mark Banning about a question now.
    Tom
  14. And now, "Back to the Future" is gone. Certainly people who said it's not that great and more of a nostalgia score, have had their minds fluxed by 10,000 units.
  15. That doesn't prove anything, Justin. Nostalgia can sell units just as well as musical quality. Fortunately Back to the Future has both in spades. wink
  16. Thanks to a post at FSM:

Wow! There's been an article online since June 23rd where these were announced, but no one seems to have noticed anywhere!

Here is the article, an interview with Craig Safan:

examiner.com interview

Some choice quotes, about the new CD's:

On The Last Starfighter:

All told, how much music did you record for the film?

CS: I think it was around 70 minutes. You'd have to ask Doug Fake at Intrada Records who is re-mastering the entire score for a Fall release.

On Remo Williams:

The soundtrack to Remo Williams has been issued about three times now. Would you love to see it released again?

CS: It's being released this Fall by Intrada. They've gotten the original 48-track masters and we're going to remix and master the score. Should be fun.
  17. T H E L A S T S T A R F I G H T E R ! shocked cool

That title always reminds me of that Lockheed desaster bird:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfighte … ighter.JPG
  18. it's truly a score with an incredibly catchy good theme punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    T H E L A S T S T A R F I G H T E R ! shocked cool

I believe the German airforce lost a number of pilots in these planes.

While travelling by train to Munich in 1983 I saw two of these flying fast and low over the Rhine, an awesome sight to behold.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  19. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    T H E L A S T S T A R F I G H T E R ! shocked cool

I believe the German airforce lost a number of pilots in these planes.

While travelling by train to Munich in 1983 I saw two of these flying fast and low over the Rhine, an awesome sight to behold.

108 to be precise. The thing was called "widow maker" in Germany.

The scandal was really about that the jet was purchaes at all, when experts said it wasn't ready for the field. There was much rumor about corruption but nothing was ever prooved.
    The competing "Mirage" would probably have been the better alternative at the time.
    The technical flaws were improved over time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014
    Captain Future wrote

The technical flaws were improved over time.

They have better flaws now? biggrin

(I shouldn't joke, really: the Dutch are setting themselves up for a very similar abysmal failure. Everyone knows it, everyone hates it...and we still plow ahead. slant )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn