• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Update today from Quartet, posted on the FSM forum; their new titles are selling very quickly:

THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND OF CAPTAIN NEMO: Less than 147 copies

THE LIGHT AT THE EDGE OF THE WORLD: Less than 170 copies
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Posted today at the Intrada forums by Roger:

We are working on Capricorn One reissue, but not yet.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Black Friday 2014 La-La-Land:

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords?ref=search

One or two years ago I probably would have gone after the ENTERPRISE and BATMAN / Elfmann sets. I don't feel that urge any more. I have the feeling, that the commercial releases I have from BATMAN and BATMAN RETURNS and the ENTERPRISE Pilot score will do.

Great releases anyway, also SHAFT and BIG TOP PEE-WEE.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2014 edited
    SHAFT is great -- a previously unreleased score. I've had a promo/boot thing for ages that I could retire.

I think the existing BIG TOP PEE WEE is more than sufficient, but if the new one omits the dialogue, that's a step in the right direction.

The others don't interest me.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. justin boggan wrote
    The next Kritzerland CD is:

"The Day the Earth Stood Still" (Bernard Herrmann)

Update today from Kritzerland:
    Just our usual little update about quantities - less than 200 now.
  5. An FSM poster asked about John Du Prex's scores to the three "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" films and MV replied:

We would love to do Turtles. Its very very complicated. We will have it worked out some day. Its one of my last final grails.
  6. Varese Club does Silvestri's Predator 2.

I recognize the first score in the series for its many qualities. Still, it has never been a personal favourite of mine, so I guess I'll pass on this one. Any oppinions?

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2014
    Predator 2 is a bit more urban. More percussion-oriented if memory serves.
    Not really something I need expanded. Quite happy with the original release, which I don't revisit that often anyway.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. I haven't heard it in ages but I seem to recall it having a big choral end titles piece and not much else...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Varese Club does Silvestri's Predator 2.

I recognize the first score in the series for its many qualities. Still, it has never been a personal favourite of mine, so I guess I'll pass on this one. Any oppinions?

Volker

I think it's a great score (I've always preferred it over the original), but predictably I also think the old Varese album is the PERFECT representation. Flows beautifully and segues between the calm, the suspense and the action.

So none of the new Varese batch was for me, I'm afraid.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I haven't heard it in ages but I seem to recall it having a big choral end titles piece and not much else...

Yup! That end titles piece is nothing short of BRILLIANT!

I'm happy with the old release and won't be getting this new one.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Varese Club does Silvestri's Predator 2.

Volker

This one's one of my highlights of the year and I can't wait to get more of Predator 2. I am sure that there's not much more in terms of new themes/ideas, etc. But the idea of hearing what is familiar in some new situations is going to be good.

As with the usual releases in December, I just hope that it arrives before the Christmas post chaos begins in earnest!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. They're saying at FSM that "Predator 2" is down to 1,000 copies. It's going fast. Over 2,000 copies in less than 24 hours.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2014
    Da da da'dadada. Da da da'dadada.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2014
    Timmer wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I haven't heard it in ages but I seem to recall it having a big choral end titles piece and not much else...

Yup! That end titles piece is nothing short of BRILLIANT!

I'm happy with the old release and won't be getting this new one.

The old release has some major sounds issues caused by shoddy mastering.

justin boggan wrote
    They're saying at FSM that "Predator 2" is down to 1,000 copies. It's going fast. Over 2,000 copies in less than 24 hours.

If they're going by that 'see how many you can add to your basket' trick I suspect that the numbers won't be right. Varese have probably only pressed the first 1500 of the run at this point.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2014 edited
    Jim Ware wrote
    The old release has some major sounds issues caused by shoddy mastering.

10 years ago I'd have jumped on this release. I just wouldn't play this enough to justify buying it now, it is one of those scores I played to death.

Who knows, maybe one day I'll regret it.....and then again maybe not.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. Somebody was asking why Goldsmith didn't end up scoring "The Two Jakes" and MV stepped in adding:

In 2015 all will be revealed.

MV
  10. Update just now from Music Box Records:

THE FRENCH REVOLUTION - SOLD OUT
  11. justin boggan wrote
    Update just now from Music Box Records:

THE FRENCH REVOLUTION - SOLD OUT

Frequent playings of this album have sent me from one surge of delight to the next. So I'm not surprised.
  12. Steven wrote
    Da da da'dadada. Da da da'dadada.

That just makes me think of Giacchino's Planet of the Apes score. tongue
  13. Up next for 2015 from Kronos Records:

THE FIRST 3 TITLES FOR 2015 ON THE GOLD COLLECTION

COL FERRO E COL FUOCO (INVASION 1700)
    by GIOVANNI FUSCO & FRANCESCO De MASI

DON GIOVANNI IN SICILIA
    by BRUNO NICOLAI

SANGRAAL: LA SPADA DI FUOCO ( SWORD OF THE BARBARIANS)
    by FRANCO CAMPANINO

ALL 3 TITLES STRICTLY LIMITED TO 500 COPIES

Expected availability 28th January 2015
    Pre-orders open Today 5th December 2014
    from www.kronosrecords.com
  14. I just received a newly introduced newsletter from Varese Sarabande. I could barely remember when I gave them my e-mail adress. smile
  15. Whenever you ordered from them directly, I think.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  16. Excerpts from the Reddit.com Q&A from fans to Shore:

When one fan asked about future titles and "King Kong" from Shore's label [Howe Records], Shore replied:
    Two other releases I am working on are a record of two new concertos - a piano concerto that I wrote for Lang Lang, and a cello concerto for Sophie Shao. Also working on a release of chamber music next year on the label that will include a new work that was premiered this year for mezzo-soprano and chamber orchestra called "A Palace Upon the Runes."

The King Kong score is part of the archive, and we're going back into the archive, and looking at past works, and seeing if we can have them out to the public. So possibly.

Which of my scores would you like to see?

But when I remaster the scores, I do spend a lot of time with them at that point. Like the re-mastering of Naked Lunch, Crash, and Dead Ringers - there was a lot of listening to older recordings.

Alan Frey works with me, and James Sizemore, and the 3 of us have been spending a lot of time in the archives, if you [w]fill.
  17. Posted today at FSM:

MANY TITLES AT HALF PRICE! - UP TO 70% DISCOUNT ON SELECTED TITLES!!!
    http://kronosrecords.com/XmasSale.html

We would like to remind you that we are closed between 21st December and 3rd
    January - Orders Placed In That Period Will Be Shipped After 4th January
  18. justin boggan wrote
    Posted today at FSM:

MANY TITLES AT HALF PRICE! - UP TO 70% DISCOUNT ON SELECTED TITLES!!!
    http://kronosrecords.com/XmasSale.html

We would like to remind you that we are closed between 21st December and 3rd
    January - Orders Placed In That Period Will Be Shipped After 4th January

I took advantage of this earlier.

There is an issue that the checkout system charged the full price for the items. But a quick message to Godwin and I had received a refund of the difference within a few minutes.

It's worth taking a look at what's on offer and, more importantly, taking a listen to the clips as there's some good (and relatively obscure) stuff to be had.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2014
    Yeah. Among the 5 euro titles, I really recommend THE LIGHT THIEF by Andre Matthias.

Some great titles among the more expensive titles too, but then the "deal" aspect gets toned down somewhat.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2014
    Yep, some really interesting stuff judging by the clips, and with the sale I'm not afraid to take a risk here and there, so I took wel advantage. Got a very nice reaction from Godwin (the guy behind Kronos) too.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  19. Apparently the masters have ben found as the next Kritzerland is:

"My Bodyguard" (Dave Grusin)
  20. http://www.quartetrecords.com/

Have those Quartet releases been anounce hear already:

King Solomon's Mines - Jerry Goldsmith
    Sahara - Ennio Morricone
    The Pink Panther Strikes Again - Henry Mancini

SAHARA is tempting. KING SOLOMON's: Ihave the Prometheus release and I'm fine with it.

Volker