• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    http://www.quartetrecords.com/

Have those Quartet releases been anounce hear already:

King Solomon's Mines - Jerry Goldsmith
    Sahara - Jerry Goldsimth
    The Pink Panther Strikes Again - Henry Mancini

SAHARA is tempting. KING SOLOMON's: Ihave the Prometheus release and I'm fine with it.

Volker

More expansions of perfectly fine original albums = sleep

(SAHARA is Morricone, btw).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Yup. Corrected that.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2014
    Didn't have the Morricone and the Mancini yet, so yeah, nice one! beer
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Thor wrote

Sais Quartet:

"Disc two contains the original LP program as it was assembled by Morricone. The LP was released with this program all around the world, except in the U.S. where Varèse Sarabande modified the program from Morricone's original selection. This is the first time the composer's presentation is being released on CD. It includes many tracks that do not appear on disc one: album versions, source cues, edits, slightly different mixes, and a song recorded specifically for the album. "

Doesn't this please you , Thor?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It pleases me that they have included the original album, and I realize it's the only compromise solution between the two 'camps', so to speak, but in my ideal, Thor-run world, all labels would focus all their energy and resources exclusively on getting scores out there that are completely unavailable. And they would present them in a listening-friendly fashion.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote

Thor, it's safe for you to assume that we all know that you are not interested in expansions.

And thanks for adding the smiley to represent our reaction to another statement by you of your position on the matter.

wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Thor wrote
    It pleases me that they have included the original album, and I realize it's the only compromise solution between the two 'camps', so to speak, but in my ideal, Thor-run world, all labels would focus all their energy and resources exclusively on getting scores out there that are completely unavailable. And they would present them in a listening-friendly fashion.

I'm just glad that you're not running the world - yet!

I assume that titles that have already been released are relatively easier to release than currently unreleased titles. And that suggests that being able to release expanded editions of readily-available titles is even easier than still-unreleased titles.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Screw 'easy'! We want the good stuff!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    So that's this week's release of King Solomon's Mines. Who's doing next week's?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    So that's this week's release of King Solomon's Mines. Who's doing next week's?

biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
  5. applause
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. Thor wrote

Then stick to your perfectly fine original albums and be happy for the people who appreciate this. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2014 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote

Then stick to your perfectly fine original albums and be happy for the people who appreciate this. rolleyes

No way! I will taunt you and everyone who likes it forever. biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Not coming soon; posted yesterday at FSM by Quartet Records:

Mono tapes with the original recordings of A Shot in the Dark are vaulted at the Mancini Estate, but the rights are holder by Sony Music on perpetuity. Maybe La-La Land or Intrada can do something with this. I hope so!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. I'm pretty sure I posted it years ago, but Quartet had said in regards to "The Tamarind Seed" (Barry):

I tried to acquire the rights to this score last year (one of my favorites of Barrys seventies), but were already licensed to another label.

But apparently it's not going to happen from the mystery label, as an FSM user chimed in today:
    Stephen Woolston:

The latest from Network (who was compiling the score elements for the upcoming Blu-Ray) is they don't have the complete score and what they do have is from sources of noticeably different quality. I guess that means it would lead to an unsatisfactory CD and that's why nothing's come out.

They are including as much music as is available on the Blu-Ray so that will be your go-to source for what exists.

Cheers
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  9. Update from Quartet:

STOCK QUANTITY ALERT
    The Pink Panther Strikes Again: Less than 120 units

STOCK QUANTITY ALERT
    Sahara: Less than 180 units
  10. "Breaking Away" (Patrick Williams), is getting low:

We have about 275 left
  11. Update from LLLR's posted at their Facebook page:

Happy New Year, Soundtrack Enthusiasts!

2014 was another spectacular year at the triple L. We celebrated Batman’s 75th birthday in style with a number of soundtrack releases. We got to cross David Arnold’s score to SHAFT and John Morris’ score to THE IN-LAWS off our personal HOLY GRAIL list. We had the honor of working with Mr Elfman on a number of projects – new and old, as well as work with Mr. Debney on not only LAIR but the 10th Anniversary Edition of THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST. Even more exciting is the work we did with a number of up and coming composers like Freddie Wiedmann, Joe Kraemer and some guy named John Williams (I hear THIS guy is going places).

As we say farewell to 2014 we look ahead to 2015 and beyond. As the New Year approaches we have decided to dip our toes into the exciting new waters known as VINYL (as the kids are calling it these days). A number of limited edition releases are planned this year for the LP market starting off with ALTERED STATES and then boldly going forth into strange new worlds…

Jerry, Michael, John and James will be finding their ways back into our catalog in the New Year along with some fresh faces as well. Some of you doubting THOMAS’ may reMARK that this passage is WAXing poetically on upcoming titles, but we are quite SHORE and BARRY confident of our slate of releases coming out in 2015…Mancini.

And what would be a year at La-La Land without some Trek and DC Animated scores?

2015 marks a lot of very cool anniversaries as well. Some from the world of TV and some from the world of Films. We plan on celebrating those in style – including some box sets.

As always, keep checking back at our Facebook page to find out about our exciting new releases, signing events, screenings and other goings on. We have some amazing releases planned for the coming year including our annual BLACK FRIDAY TITLES (going on sale December 1, 2015)

We’ll see you back here on January 13, 2015 at 12 pm pst with the release of PLANET OF THE APES TV SERIES 2 cd set!

Have a safe and Happy New Year!
  12. New from Music Box Records:

RICKY (2008)
    Music Composed, Orchestrated and Conducted by Philippe Rombi

For the first time on CD.
    Remastered limited edition.
    34 minutes of music, including the song The Greatest by Cat Power.
    8-page CD booklet with French and English liner notes by Florent Groult.

Ref: MBR-059
    Release Date: January 19, 2015

The first 50 copies purchased directly from our online store will be autographed by the composer, Philippe Rombi (offer limited to 1 autographed copy by customer).

Adapted from British writer Rose Tremain's short story Moth, Ricky (2008) is directed by acclaimed French filmmaker François Ozon (Swimming Pool, Angel) and stars Alexandra Lamy, Sergi Lopez, Mélusine Mayance, Arthur Peyret and André Wilms.

When Katie, an ordinary woman meets Paco, an ordinary man, something magical and miraculous happens: they fall in love. Out of their love comes an extraordinary baby: Ricky.

For this fantastical family drama, Ozon’s regular collaborator Philippe Rombi composed a gorgeous and thematic score filled with expressive piano solos, and tender string writing. The main theme is based on a delicate waltz and is slightly melancholic with utterly beautiful piano melody. Rombi develops his theme with melodic variations: played with glockenspiel, lush cello, disquieting woodwinds, rolling harps and syncopated piano. As usual, Rombi’s writing is so lyrical, so romantic, so elegant, and Ricky is no exception.

Music Box Records is very proud to present for the first time on CD the entire album (currently only available in digital format). This present edition also features the song The Greatest, performed by Cat Power, which is used in the final scene and the trailer. This limited edition CD comes with an 8-page booklet featuring liner notes by Florent Groult who discusses the film and the score.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Ricky (thème) (3:46)
    2. Pré-générique (0:44)
    3. Générique début (1:10)
    4. Naissance (1:07)
    5. Les premiers jours (1:22)
    6. Premiers signes (2:48)
    7. Nuit sur le lac (1:28)
    8. Lisa (1:15)
    9. Évolution (1:14)
    10. Conséquences (3:07)
    11. L'hôpital (1:01)
    12. Seule (1:41)
    13. Le retour de Paco (1:21)
    14. L'envol (2:06)
    15. La révélation (2:03)
    16. Générique de fin (3:47)
    17. The Greatest (3:22)
    Performed by Cat Power

Total Time • 34:07

For sound clips and available for order, please visit: http://www.musicbox-records.com/en/cd-s … ricky.html

LES 1001 NUITS (1001 NIGHTS) (EXPANDED) (1990)
    Music Composed by Gabriel Yared

New remastered expanded edition. Limited Edition of 500 units.
    67 minutes of music, including 30 minutes of music never released before.
    8-page CD booklet with French and English liner notes by Nicolas Magenham.

Ref: MBR-058
    Release Date: January 19, 2015

In 1990, Philippe de Broca (That Man From Rio, King of Hearts) directed the French-Italian fantasy film Les 1001 Nuits (1001 Nights). He adapted certain tales of The Thousand and One Nights and added new elements in keeping with his time.
    It tells the story of the Sultan’s wife Sheherazade (Catherine Zeta-Jones) which is required to recount one tale each day so as to preserve her own life. Through her journey she meets all the great heroes like Sinbad (Vittorio Gassman), King Shahriar (Thierry Lhermitte), Aladdin (Stéphane Freiss) and Jimmy Genious (Gérard Jugnot), a genie who moves back and forth through time, by means of a television screen and the renowned magic lamp.

Gabriel Yared composed a beautiful symphonic score - ample, generous and voluminous - filled with exhilarating themes and mysterious romance. He also integrated traditional Arabian instruments into the orchestra giving the score an exotic vibe and synthetic sounds for the farcical turn of the film.

Music Box Records is very proud to present this new expanded and remastered edition of the lush, sweeping and majestic score composed by Gabriel Yared. It contains the complete CD program of the very rare 1990 soundtrack album with more than 30 minutes of unreleased music, including some cues which were never used in the final cut. It also features a song especially co-composed with Gabriel Yared and Catherine Zeta-Jones for the original album and performed by Catherine Zeta-Jones.

The CD comes with an 8-page booklet featuring liner notes by Nicolas Magenham who discusses the film and the score. The release is limited to 500 units.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Les 1001 Nuits (générique) (2:05)
    2. Ballade pour Jimmy (2:42)
    3. Les jardins du Roi (0:52)
    4. Déclaration de Sinbad (1:01)
    5. Le harem (2:09)
    6. La rencontre du Roi (2:21)
    7. Le jeune marin (1:54)
    8. Flots bleus (1:47)
    9. Poursuite dans Bagdad** (1:21)
    10. La capture d'Aladin*† (1:51)
    11. La chambre royale (3:07)
    12. À la rescousse*† (1:28)
    13. Le désert*† (3:14)
    14. La tempête*† (1:41)
    15. La cage dorée* (2:00)
    16. L'avion* (2:14)
    17. La taverne** (2:15)
    18. Shéhérazade et Sinbad prennent le large* (1:24)
    19. Aladin amoureux (1:48)
    20. Le navire* (1:21)
    21. La sirène** (2:12)
    22. L'histoire continue ainsi (1:57)
    23. L'arrestation** (1:17)
    24. Le retour du Roi / Les 1001 Nuits† (2:26)
    25. Shéhérazade (4:04)
    Performed by Catherine Zeta-Jones
    26. Le Roi acrobate (2:09)
    27. Le tango du cheval (2:18)
    28. Le manège (1:26)
    29. Les 1001 Nuits - Répétition d'orchestre* (9:22)

Total Time • 67:02

* previously unreleased
    ** contains unreleased material
    † not used in film

For sound clips and available for order, please visit: http://www.musicbox-records.com/en/cd-s … nuits.html
  13. New releases from Saimel Records:

LA GABBIA
    Music composed, orchestrated and conducted by ENNIO MORRICONE
    Barcode: 8436548730192
    SAIMEL 3998971

In 1985 Ennio Morricone was commissioned to compose the music for “La Gabbia”, erotic film, with dramatic notes, which was directed by Giuseppe Patroni Griffi ("Addio Fratello Crudele", "Metti, una sera a cena").
    Ennio Morricone composed music in which dominates the melodic character. The Roman composer makes use of a wide sound spectrum, creating eclectic themes with musical influences from contemporary music to pop, to rock or jazz.

With more than 52 minutes in length, this edition of Saimel contains three unpublished themes and additional music, never before published, in other two tracks.

"La Gabbia" becomes another clear example of the inexhaustible talent of Ennio Morricone, an essential composer.

Complete Track list, cover and comments:
    http://www.saimelrecords.com/SALAGABBIA.HTM

MISS ARIZONA
    Music composed and conducted by ARMANDO TROVAIOLI
    Barcode: 8436548730154
    SAIMEL 3998967
    Limited Edition of 300 copies. First Time on CD

Directed in 1987 by the Hungarian filmmaker Pál Sándor, "Miss Arizona" is a melodrama inspired by true events starring a couple of cabaret artists during the convulsed interwar years.

For the music was not only necessary to compose a dramatic score, but also to find the handful of songs that stars would perform in the Arizona club. Armando Trovaioli chose to write new compositions, whose lyrics were further related to the story itself. Given the experience of Trovaioli in the genre of varieties, the musician readily resolved the challenge and composed half a dozen songs, performed by Hanna Schygulla herself in English. The songs worked very well in the story. The rest of the score composed by Armando Trovaioli is a little jewel, practically unknown and mistreated in attempting to shorten the film length. He was faithful to his sensibility and to his preference for the piano as a solo instrument.

As the Main theme, he adapted the melody of One Day in May in Budapest, converting it into a nostalgic leitmotiv, which acquires its greatest expression in the beautiful suite that opens up the disc, Accadde a Budapest and in the epilogue. Trovaioli also wrote sad and intimate parts, associated with the character of Sándor, alongside incidental music, dark and gloomy, used in the most dramatic moments of the story, which had to do with the Jewish persecution. Moreover, he expressly composed an innocent love theme with an orchestra and synthesizer for the brief romance of András. And another motif for the moment in which the main characters see their destiny improved thanks to the diamonds, in which, as a curiosity, Trovaioli wanted to wink at Mastroianni, recovering a part of the melody that he had composed seventeen years ago for another film starring him, "Dramma della gelosia”.

Some tracks in the original master tapes had some imperfections which we tried to correct as best as possible during the mastering process in the way to offer the best possible listening.

http://www.saimelrecords.com/SAMISSARIZONA.HTM

MESSI de ALEX DE LA IGLESIA
    Music composed by JOAN VALENT
    Barcode: 8436548730178
    SAIMEL 3998969

Screenplay by JORGE VALDANO

With participation of Johan Cruyff, Andrés Iniesta, Diego Armando Maradona, Javier Mascherano, César Luis Menotti, Gerard Piqué, Alejandro Sabella, and Jorge Valdano.
    In his new collaboration with director Alex de la Iglesia (“Las brujas de Zugarramurdi / Witching and Bitching”), composer Joan Valent has created music to accompany the trajectory of Messi, an icon in sport today and a media figure as there are few today. The soundtrack has a central theme that brings an epic component to define the character and his extraordinary personal and professional journey. It is a powerful music, brass and percussion transmit a great tone.

Along with that epic sound also found soft music, which has a melodic and delicate tone. Describe Messi, especially his childhood and youth. Provides warmth and closeness to the character and transmits a gentle character.

We are therefore faced with a singular work, a music that contributes to the discourse of the film, creating sensations that reinforce the images and, at the same time is nice in its isolated listening. A perfect musical combination.

http://www.saimelrecords.com/SAMESSI.HTM
  14. James Fitzpatrick has anounced a kickstarter project to fund a new recording of Moonraker by John Barry. I pledged 20PSt. This will get me a copy if the project gets underway. Essentially you buy a CD in advance.
    If this project succeeds this could be a breakthrough for future score re-recordings.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/68 … ?ref=email

Timmer, I count on you! smile

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    James Fitzpatrick has anounced a kickstarter project to fund a new recording of Moonraker by John Barry. I pledged 20PSt. This will get me a copy if the project gets underway. Essentially you buy a CD in advance.
    If this project succeeds this could be a breakthrough for future score re-recordings.

Volker

I honestly don't understand the clamour for getting a full Moonraker recording out there. It does have some wonderful moments, not least FLIGHT INTO SPACE ( a track that instantly makes a nonsense of Steven's 'Barry can't do sci-fi' comment of a few weeks back ) and some nice unreleased material, but to me this is, on the whole one of JB's lesser Bond scores.

Still, I am a mad Barry fan so I WILL be financially supporting it and not least because it could lead to future recordings.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  15. I really like Moonraker but I could well do without a re-recording. It is the project itself that got my attention. If this kickstarter works ...
  16. What happens with the money put into these kickstarter projects if the necessary financial targets are not reached?

I have no experience with these and am trying to understand the details.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The money is only released once the target goal is reached. That's when your account is actually charged.
    If the target amount isn't met, you simply don't pay anything.

So it's fairly foolproof.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  17. Edit: As Martijn said.
  18. Update yesterday from LLLR's:

Just finished inventory and have some LOW QUANTITY titles to report to you.

Once these titles are gone they are sold out for good, so grab 'em while you can.

You have been warned:

THE HOWLING – LESS THAN 75
    NIGHT OF THE CREEPS – LESS THAN 100
    WARNING SHOT – LESS THAN 175
    HUMAN TARGET – LESS THAN 150
    THE BLOB – LESS THAN 100
    TRADING PLACES – LESS THAN 100
    FAT MAN AND LITTLE BOY – LESS THAN 75
    TORA TORA TORA – LESS THAN 100
    GUNFIGHT AT THE OK CORRAL - LESS THAN 150
    MOMMIE DEAREST - LESS THAN 20 (YES, TWENTY)
    USED CARS - LESS THAN 50
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    James Fitzpatrick has anounced a kickstarter project to fund a new recording of Moonraker by John Barry. I pledged 20PSt. This will get me a copy if the project gets underway. Essentially you buy a CD in advance.

Volker

MOONRAKER?!?

What a waste. And I don't mean that to diss Barry fans, but this has several soundtrack versions, after all.

Why not start a Kickstarter campaign for recording something completely unreleased instead, like Williams' STORIA DI UNA DONNA? James, however, seems completely uninterested in that or any Williams project.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

MOONRAKER?!?

What a waste. And I don't mean that to diss Barry fans, but this has several soundtrack versions, after all.

Why not start a Kickstarter campaign for recording something completely unreleased instead, like Williams' STORIA DI UNA DONNA? James, however, seems completely uninterested in that or any Williams project.

It's well known that James is a big champion of the scores of John Barry and Miklos Rozsa in particular.

It is a shame that there doesn't seem the interest in rerecording JW's work. Have you heard STORIA DI UNA DONNA? I have no idea what it sounds like.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

MOONRAKER?!?

It's well known that James is a big champion of the scores of John Barry and Miklos Rozsa in particular.

It is a shame that there doesn't seem the interest in rerecording JW's work. Have you heard STORIA DI UNA DONNA? I have no idea what it sounds like.

Ha, ha...good one.

I assume you're referring to the FSM thread. What a drama that was and is.
    I am extremely serious.