• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2015
    No, I've only just read that FSM thread wink

I'm happy with the Moonraker material I have. I'd far prefer a new recording of something else.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. We need to have a separate topic, "Upcoming CDs - Maybe"?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2015
    Timmer wrote
    It is a shame that there doesn't seem the interest in rerecording JW's work. Have you heard STORIA DI UNA DONNA? I have no idea what it sounds like.

Yes, I have (I forgot to say). It's basically JANE EYRE 2 (perhaps less "English", but just as romantic and gorgeous). Just listen to this montage sequence, which sees the lovers go through various winter sports places in Kortina:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjI4xKftKzs
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2015
    Despite the awful sound I hear goodness! :like:
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Posted today over at FSM by James Fritzpatrick:

Yes...last year I was all ready to re-record DRACULA ... but was told by a "good source" that the original would be released soon...so I cancelled the recording....but of course we are still waiting for the original....

Likewise I did want to do a new recording of TEN COMMANDMENTS for Prometheus but was put off when told a special "deluxe edition" of this was on the cards. So again I cancelled the project.

And of course in the last few months I recorded the complete OBSESSION , on the understanding with the company who had the original masters would not licence them to another label until 24 months after the new recording. Strangely, once I had finished the new recording, it was suddenly announced that this company had licensed the original tapes to Music Box for their archival release who would issue it before the new recording!

What a lovely loyal industry I work in

I guess tapes may have been found to expand it, unless it is just a remastered re-issue. Supposedly this is coming from Varese.

EDIT:

Here isthe first quote:

I was going to record DRACULA last year...but was told by a "good" source that the tapes were all found and that Varese would be doing it ???

And another from Facebook:
    I have it on good authority that the complete original recording of Dracula will be coming out this year...would love to record with the LSO but would need a much bigger budget!!!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Is anyone here interested in Intrada'a new release of the OST of The Boy who Could Fly by Bruce Broughton? I have the Varese Club version of the re-recording of the score from a few years ago. I never could quite understand what is so special about that score.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Captain Future wrote
    James Fitzpatrick has anounced a kickstarter project to fund a new recording of Moonraker by John Barry. I pledged 20PSt. This will get me a copy if the project gets underway. Essentially you buy a CD in advance.
    If this project succeeds this could be a breakthrough for future score re-recordings.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/68 … ?ref=email

Volker

20.000!

5.000 left
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2015
    Something that could be of interest to Volker is a new CPO release

https://sdtom.wordpress.com/2015/01/13/ … nsrudorff/

Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  5. Thanks, Tom, it is indeed. Our local symphonic orchestra played a symphony by Rudorff last year. He is a "belated Romantic" (comparable to Korngold). So his compositions were regarded as a bit anachronistic in his days. He was a talented composer nontheless.

On a personal note: The Bochum Symphonics ... My father was born in Bochum, it's only a hundred km from where I live.

smile Volker
  6. Captain Future wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    James Fitzpatrick has anounced a kickstarter project to fund a new recording of Moonraker by John Barry. I pledged 20PSt. This will get me a copy if the project gets underway. Essentially you buy a CD in advance.
    If this project succeeds this could be a breakthrough for future score re-recordings.

Volker

20.000!

5.000 left

22.000!
  7. Fritzpatrick has another update on "Dracula":

This "good source" now says they might have been mistaken ... and that still only Mono elements have been found..... apologies for getting people excited ... but that i s why I decided against re-ercording Dracula...now "who knows"

MV added in the same thread:

Yes, bad sounding mono tapes that the rights holders rightfully don't want to master and release.

MV

and

I know the company that does have the rights wants to continue their search and find the best elements possible. Hopefully they will some day (perhaps they have already. My intel dates back about 6 months ago).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. Major sale at Film Score Monthly; as posted by an FSM user:

From FSM's Facebook's page:

3 Day 50% Off Sale on all Used, Rare and Out Of Print CDs. Items must be from this section to qualify. Use discount code used50 at check out.

http://www1.screenarchives.com/display_ … rt=pricehi

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2015 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    Major sale at Film Score Monthly; as posted by an FSM user:

From FSM's Facebook's page:

3 Day 50% Off Sale on all Used, Rare and Out Of Print CDs. Items must be from this section to qualify. Use discount code used50 at check out.

http://www1.screenarchives.com/display_ … rt=pricehi

Screen Archives rather than Film Score Monthly, but regardless -- wish I was still into CD's! Then I could pick up some gems there.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Captain Future wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

20.000!

5.000 left

22.000!

24.400! Drawing to an end!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2015 edited
    From James Fitzpatrick at FSM board...

Dear Everyone
    It is with great regret that I have to cancel this Kickstarter project before any funds are taken. Certain rights issues have been raised which might mean protracted negotiations with the companies involved which may well go beyond the end of the project. I would sincerely like to thank everyone for their involvement in the project and if negotiations are successful then I have the knowledge that there is a great demand for this title. Thank you for all your hard word.

James

He goes on to reply:-

Q: Well, so much for Kickstarter as a viable way to fund a soundtrack release.

Looks like a massive cock-up, securing funds from the public if the rights aren't properly secured.

A: It is not as simple as that .... and would take too long to explain. The project is still viable it is just that some of the goalposts have been changed...and if the negotiations are successful then I will fund the recording myself. So nobody loses out...just a matter of timing and no funds were actually taken

A real shame considering the target of £25,000 was exceeded so quickly but in the positive it showed that fan-power can get things done and bodes well for possible future recordings.
  10. A surprise announcement from Kritzerland. If you've paid attention over the man year,s you know some labels have access to some studios that other labels don't. But one big one has changed:

I can get into Universal now, but it's a little tricky in terms of the deal, so I haven't leapt at it yet.
  11. It's finally available:

OBSESSION (Special Archival Edition) (1976)
    Music Composed and Conducted by Bernard Herrmann

A 2-CD set. Newly remastered and expanded deluxe edition.
    Limited Collector's Edition of 3,000 units.
    A full-color 24-page CD booklet with in-depth liner notes by Daniel Schweiger.

Ref: MBR-060
    Release Date: February 16, 2014

In collaboration with Litto Enterprises Inc., Music Box Records is very proud to present one of its most ambitious releases yet - a classic Bernard Herrmann score from one of his last efforts and an important milestone in his immense career for Brian De Palma's classic melodrama Obsession (1976), written by Paul Schrader and starring Geneviève Bujold, Cliff Robertson and John Lithgow.

In a career often spent paying tribute to Alfred Hitchcock with the likes of Dressed to Kill, Blow Out and Body Double, Obsession even today stands as De Palma’s ultimate fever dream homage to the director who’d made Bernard Herrmann a household name as the romantic master of musical suspense during an eight film collaboration, no more so than with 1958's Vertigo. Yet Obsession’s reincarnation of that masterpiece showed just how devious De Palma always was in his admiration, cloaking a truly seditious plot twist that would’ve given even Hitchcock pause within sleek, star-filtered visuals.
    Obsession remains his most fervently romantic, and dare one say innocent attempt to recreate the studio gloss of a time when outright violence and sex were left to the mind's eye, its rage and sensuality truly made explicit in its music. It's a powerful, stylistic subtlety that increasingly made Obsession into the filmmaker’s most discerning cult film.

When at last Herrmann returned to his grandly symphonic style for a movie with a major pedigree, 1976s Obsession resounded with more haunted passion than ever before. It was a much movie score as it was Herrmann’s own requiem for an uninhibited scoring style that had become a ghost of itself in Hollywood. He composed a stunning score, filled with powerful themes, ominously underlined by an organ, or a harp, sometimes with abrupt choral flourishes, in eerie evocations of a mystery. He again creates an unusual combination to underscore the drama: a large cathedral organ and tympani as primary musical signature characters, and a small choir of wordless and sighing female voices, horns, winds and strings. The score was nominated for an Oscar for 'Best Original Score' in 1977.

For this special archival edition 2-CD set, Music Box Records has gathered the best sources available to this day in order to present faithfully the original score written by the composer.
    CD 1 presents "The Film Score". With the precious technical assistance of our sound engineer, we did our best to reconstruct and restore the score from the 5.1 Music Stem (courtesy of Sony Pictures) and a safety copy of the original tapes. The result is stunningly convincing. As such, we kindly ask you to listen to our samples and make a decision on the quality yourself.
    CD 2 presents "The Original 1976 Soundtrack Album" (courtesy of Universal Music) that was edited from Herrmann’s sessions and was specially remastered for this edition. We also corrected the cue titles of the 1976 London Decca release which were misnamed and incomplete in tracks 4 and 5. Now you have the details of all the right cues used in the original LP.

Our release offers a rare opportunity to hear the magnificent romantic Herrmann score in two different presentations and preserves the composer’s own irreplaceable interpretation, bringing this marvelous music back to life just 40 years after it was written. This Deluxe Edition with slipcase is limited to 3000 units and includes a 24-page full-color booklet with in-depth liner notes by Daniel Schweiger, sharing his comments about the film and the score, including new interviews with editor Paul Hirsch and producer George Litto. Everyone will no doubt be 'obsessed' with this true original masterpiece!

TRACK LISTING:

DISC 1 • THE FILM SCORE (Stereo)
    1. Main Title (1:58)
    2. Opening Party (0:40)
    3. Valse Lente (1:33)
    4. Kidnap (2:32)
    5. Newsboy (1:45)
    6. The Tape (0:29)
    7. The Ferry (2:42)
    8. Hideout (0:46)
    9. Breakout (1:34)
    10. The Tomb (1:16)
    11. Memorial Park (1:19)
    12. Sandra (6:44)
    13. Sandra Again (0:58)
    14. Court Meets Sandra (1:24)
    15. The Church (1:26)
    16. Bryn Mawr (2:04)
    17. Bryn Mawr Walk (1:16)
    18. Court's Confession (2:29)
    19. Hospital (0:44)
    20. Cemetery (1:04)
    21. New Orleans (1:54)
    22. Walk Down Hallway (1:07)
    23. Portrait of Elizabeth (1:49)
    24. Memorabilia (2:54)
    25. Walk to Church (0:12)
    26. Sandra at Monument (2:59)
    27. After Dinner (0:46)
    28. The Wedding (2:33)
    29. The Wedding Part II (1:31)
    30. Court, The Morning After (1:33)
    31. Court Signs Papers (1:34)
    32. Sandra Finds Briefcase (2:25)
    33. Court Arrives at Wharf (0:41)
    34. LaSalle and Sandra at Airport (2:02)
    35. The Plane (2:21)
    36. Court Finds LaSalle (2:02)
    37. Court and LaSalle Struggle (1:06)
    38. Airport (3:50)

BONUS TRACKS
    39. Ransom (Unused Cue)* (0:18)
    40. Past and Present (Unused Cue)* (0:28)
    41. Airport (Alternate)* (3:41)
    * not used in film

Disc 1 Time • 74:00

DISC 2 • THE ORIGNAL 1976 SOUNDTRACK ALBUM (Remastered Edition)
    1. Main Title / Valse Lente / Kidnap (5:58)
    2. Newsboy / The Tape / The Ferry (4:57)
    3. The Tomb / Sandra (8:04)
    4. The Church / Court’s Confession / Bryn Mawr / New Orleans / Wedding (9:25)
    5. Court, The Morning After / Court Signs Papers / Sandra Finds Briefcase / Court Arrives at Wharf (4:31)
    6. The Plane / Court and LaSalle Struggle / Airport (5:58)

Disc 2 Time • 39:07

Total Two-Disc Time • 113:07

For sound clips and available for order, please visit: http://www.musicbox-records.com/en/cd-s … ssion.html
  12. From LLLR's Facebook:

For you curious few, below are the top 10 best selling releases on the La-La Land Records website (ONLY) in 2014:

1. EMPIRE OF THE SUN
    2. BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES VOLUME 3
    3. TRANSFORMERS AGE OF EXTINCTION
    4. SUPERMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES
    5. THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS
    6. THE BLUE MAX
    7. LAIR
    8. X FILES FIGHT THE FUTURE
    9. THE DANNY ELFMAN BATMAN COLLECTION
    10. THE SUM OF ALL FEARS
  13. The originally planned January double header of "This is the End" / "The Interview" (Jackman) is now coming out February 10, according to MV today over at FSM.
  14. The next Kritzerland is a two-fer of Paul Galss scores:

"Ethan" and a short film called "George Grosz' Interregnum"
  15. New from Quartet Records:

SAFARI 5000
    Music Composed and Conducted by Toshiro Mayuzumi
    Limited edition of 500 units

Quartet Records presents the premiere release of Toshiro Mayuzumi hidden masterpiece for the 1969 Japanese cult movie Safari 5000.

The film, directed by Koreyoshi Kurahara, is about racecar drivers competing in a deadly rally in Africa. Starring Yûjirô Ishihara in the leading role, the film was inspired by John Frankenheimer’s Grand Prix and features a similarly epic storyline spanning continents and featuring real footage from an actual rally. The movie was the top grossing movie of Japan in 1969, then it completely disappeared from the face of the Earth due to some legal issues. Only uncovered a few years ago on Blu-Ray, the film is not only magnificent to look at, it’s also great magnificent to listen to!

Japanese composer Toshiro Mayuzumi may be best-known for writing the Oscar-nominated score for John Huston’s The Bible: In the Beginning… (1966), but he has many other scores that are waiting to be discovered in studio archives. His work on Safari 5000 may be one of the best Italian-style film score not written by an Italian, featuring a wonderful, heroic theme for Yûjirô Ishihara’s driver character. Though it takes places in the 1960s, the film is occasionally scored like a traditional Italo-Western, including whistling and a choral performance of the main theme!

This is a premiere presentation of the score which hasn’t been released in any form until now, beatifully mastered by Claudio Fuiano from the original stereo mastertapes, courtesy of Gruppo Sugar. The richly illustrated 8-page booklet features liner notes by Gergely Hubai who discusses this rarely seen film and shares his insights about the music.

KILLERFISH
    Music Composed by Guido & Maurizio De Angelis
    Limited edition of 500 units

Quartet Records presents the CD premiere release of the Guido and Maurizio de Angelis disco-suspense score for the 1979 caper/thriller Killer Fish.

Produced by Alex (son of Carlo) Ponti, KillerFish was clearly inspired by the success of Steven Spielberg's Jaws and Joe Dante's Piranha. The film stars Lee "Six Million Dollar Man" Majors and Karen Black as a couple of thieves who steal valuable diamonds which are eventually hidden in a lake. Their backgammon obsessed nemesis (played by James Franciscus) plants his own little trap and now the valuable gems are guarded by dozes of tiny killers - piranhas! Margaux Hemingway tags along for the ride as a supermodel whose Rio photo shoot accidentally tangles with the heist that will claim a few too many lives!

Collectors of Italian film music may need no further introduction of the De Angelis brothers whose work includes the Euro-hit "Santa Maria", "Dune Buggy" from the comedy ...Altrimenti Ci Arrabbiamo! (1974) as well as music from several other Bud Spencer and Terence Hill movies. Their score for Killer Fish is anchored by the Amii Stewart theme song "The Winner Takes All" is played during the opening and closing credits while instrumental variations occur throughout the story. Stewart contributed another song to the soundtrack, but "Don't Ever Let Me Hear You Say Goodbye" does not appear in the film in its vocal version. Instrumental variations of these two themes ("Welcome to Brazil", "Diamonds", "Margaux") round out the delightful disco program - a well-recommended title for anyone who is into the unmistakeable De Angelis sound.

Killer Fish was previously released on LP by ATV, and due to the recording tapes are long lost, this CD premiere contains the same generous 35-minute program, which is almost all the music featured in the film. The 8-page full color booklet features liner notes by Gergely Hubai who discusses the film, the score and a couple of other small secrets by De Angelis brothers, such as a small musical joke hiding in the film.

CHRISTOPHER SLASKI FILM WORKS
    Music Composed, Orchestrated and Conducted by Christopher Slaski

Quartet Records presents a whole CD's worth of showcase from the career of young British composer Christopher Slaski.

Born in 1974, Christopher Slaski built a truly international career over the last few years by sharing his time between his studios in London. Christopher graduated in Music from Cambridge University where he studied composition with Robin Holloway, then he obtained a postgraduate diploma in Composition from the Royal Academy of Music in London. Slaski also studied conducting with Lawrence Leonard (conductor of the Halle Orchestra) and attended film scoring master classes given by Ennio Morricone at the Academia Chigiana in Sienna and José Nieto in Madrid. Now you can hear for yourself

The wide variety of cues include a selection of stylistically diverse short film scores such as the Morricone-inspired Who is Florinda Bolkan? or the Legrand-esque You or Me, Lebanon's most critically acclaimed feature film entitled Rue Huvelin, the Spanish action movie Proyecto Dos, family dramas like La Vergüenza or Hollow or full-blooded comedy scores like Semen, una historia de amor. The compilation doesn't forget about Christopher's most requested titles like selections from the Brothers Quay's The PianoTuner of EarthQuakes or the Bobby Darin biopic Beyond the Sea starring Kevin Spacey. The program is rounded out by Slaski's personal tributes to his personal heros like Astor Piazzoll, Michel Legrand, Philippe Sarde or Ennio Morricone. The CD also debuts the mysterious Film Noir Suite, compiled from the rejected film score of I, Anna, completed in 2012.

The album is accompanied by a 12-page booklet written by Gergely Hubai in close collaboration with the composer. The notes describe all the projects in great details, based on the composer's own recollections of this rich and versatile career.

The three releases are available for order and shipping now. For more info and listen audio samples, please visit www.quartetrecords.com

I went to Slaski's website and there a wonderful piano and string piece that automatically plays -- check it out.

Good thing I went, found two more rejected scores.
  16. SEVEN DAYS IN MAY / THE MACKINTOSH MAN

30 copies remaining, according to Intrada's website.
  17. After over three years of dormancy, Counterpoint Records comes back for their fifth release:

"Kangaroo" (sol Kaplan)
    http://www1.screenarchives.com/flash_mp … height=253
  18. DISCONTINUATION ALERT

Posted today by Roger over at the Intrada forums:

It's the last day to purchase THE RESCUE or SO I MARRIED AN AXE MURDERER. Both Broughton titles will be out of print after today.
  19. New from Disques Cinémusique:
    http://www1.screenarchives.com/title_de … 0-EDITION/
  20. Update from La La Land Records:

2/10
    Kingsman: The Secret Service (Henry Jackman & Matthew Margeson)
    The Interview/This is the End (Henry Jackman) - 5000 units
    Ladyhawke (2CD set - Andrew Powell) - 3000 units

2/24
    1941 (reissue - John Williams) - 1000 units
    Dying of the Light (Frederik Wiedmann) - 1000 units
  21. I found Fantasia Legacy Collection in a store today and turned it in my hands. Gorgeous art work and great content. Still I have most - if not all - of that classical music already in my collection. so I did not buy it.

Volker
  22. Low quantity update:

Just a heads up on TRANSFORMERS AGE OF EXTINCTION:

400 units remain (OUT OF 3000)!

I know 400 units may sound like a lot to some of you (2.600 UNITS ARE ALREADY GONE), but this title has been selling like hotcakes since it's release last FALL. So, if you want one I would buy it now. Once it's gone it's gone for good!

http://lalalandrecords.com/Site/TF4.html

I'm reminded of a scene from a Halloween[/b] episode of "The Simpsons" where Maggie axes a guy in the back, pulls out her pacifier and with James Earl Jones' voice says, "This is indeed a disturbing universe."
  23. 1,100 or fewer remaining (of 3,000) of "Obsession" (Music Box Records).
  24. LLLR's release of "Ladyhawk" is apparently doing well, so if you are thinking of getting it, don't wait too long; posted yesterday at the FSM forums:

Haters gonna hate, but this bad boy is our best selling title thus far this year

SOMEONE likes it

smile

MV