• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010
    Manwe wrote
    A better release of North's Spartacus really would be a treat. Would be a sure purchase for me, I am quite fond of North as some of you might recall. Really nice brass work in that score. And the love theme of course - lovely as often is the case with North.

I would definitely buy it! Brilliant score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think the Spartacus release should be an essential purchase for everyone on this board.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    I think the Spartacus release should be an essential purchase for everyone on this board.

-Erik-

Alex North isn't to many peoples taste though Erik. Personally I think North is one of those composers where if you put the time and erffort in to giving him a good listen then it's incredibly rewarding music full of great depth and ingenuity.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah, but this is Spartacus we are talking about. Arguably one of the greatest film scores ever composed!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Yeah, but this is Spartacus we are talking about. Arguably one of the greatest film scores ever composed!

-Erik-

And I totally agree with you but sadly I think many people would be indifferent to a deluxe release of this great score.

I would love to be proved wrong though. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I only know the famous Love Theme from Spartacus, which is great but I think that I would buy the CD just based on all these raves. I'm really curious why this is one of the all-time greats.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Is this a re-recording, like in the excellent case of Exodus, or is it a rerelease?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

And I totally agree with you but sadly I think many people would be indifferent to a deluxe release of this great score.

Seriously? Have you been reading the FSM board these last few years? It's like THE holy cow for almost everyone, and even the SLIGHTEST sense of criticism is met with scorn. There are like 723 threads, each with 5323 replies.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    keky wrote
    I only know the famous Love Theme from Spartacus, which is great but I think that I would buy the CD just based on all these raves. I'm really curious why this is one of the all-time greats.

Be warned, though. The rest of the score is NOTHING like the love theme. Mostly harsh dissonance and/or screaming brass and percussion, Alex North Roman-style. Don't get me wrong, I like the score very much, and even have a fan-made expansion of the MCA CD (!), but I would never purchase a C&C edition. In fact, I would have been content with the MCA disc if I didn't get that fan disc.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Seriously? Have you been reading the FSM board these last few years? It's like THE holy cow for almost everyone, and even the SLIGHTEST sense of criticism is met with scorn. There are like 723 threads, each with 5323 replies.

FACT! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oops. Didn't catch your irony up there. shame
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    keky wrote

Be warned, though. The rest of the score is NOTHING like the love theme. Mostly harsh dissonance and/or screaming brass and percussion, Alex North Roman-style. Don't get me wrong, I like the score very much, and even have a fan-made expansion of the MCA CD (!), but I would never purchase a C&C edition. In fact, I would have been content with the MCA disc if I didn't get that fan disc.

Varese is much more discerning than the other labels at producing these things. I wouldn't necessarily assume it will be C&C. Let's wait and see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    keky wrote

Varese is much more discerning than the other labels at producing these things. I wouldn't necessarily assume it will be C&C. Let's wait and see.

I agree.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Posted by LLLR at FSM:

I already know that this year our planned major MAJOR release dates are 3/23, 4/20, 5/4, 7/20 and 11/30. And we are going to try to stick to those dates as best as we can.

We already know 3/23 will be "Eraser", so that gives you an idea of the range for "major MAJOR" releases those dates will yield. Gives one time to save money, just in case.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. New Varese Club is March 1st.

Prediction:

A North
    Conti or Bernstein
    A short score limited to 1,000 that's not too great to begin with.

Or an entire batch of okay to disappointing titles.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. justin boggan wrote
    A North

Is it THE North that people have been speculating on recently?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    justin boggan wrote
    Or an entire batch of okay to disappointing titles.

biggrin

Nothing like being an optimist.
  4. charliebrigden @DavidGArnold ID4 complete score release: any chance of it happening?

DavidGArnold @charliebrigden happening now...should be ready in a month or two

charliebrigden @DavidGArnold which label will be doing ID4? Any other expanded releases on the way?

DavidGArnold @charliebrigden think its the same people who did godzilla.no other releases as far as i know

www.twitter.com/davidgarnold
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2010
    Wow, great! So, La-La Land then?
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  5. LLLR is really quick to confirm/deny leaked information, so as soon as they see it, they'll let us know, and I'll post the reply here. They really should register and join us at MT though.
  6. And so it is:

Like I needed another reason to hate Twitter? LOL

Well, yes -- the cat is out of the bag... or the alien is out of the ship, so to speak.

ID4 is coming (and Giachinno fan, you just made me realize how old I am getting by not knowing what ID4 referred to -- lol)

We are wrapping it up now.

Its a 2 disc set.

5000 units

$29.98 SRP

It's produced by Nick Redman and Mike Matessino, supervised by Didier Deutsch at Sony Special Products.

I'll let you guys know a week in advance when it will be made available for order.

And, yes -- Mr. Arnold will be signing some at no extra charge.

Best,
    MV
  7. Yeah. My favorite theme from the movie doesn't seem to be anywhere on the original album!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2010
    That's really cool! cool
  8. PawelStroinski wrote
    Yeah. My favorite theme from the movie doesn't seem to be anywhere on the original album!

I'm sure you mean by that the alien space theme for when they see the shuttle for the first time? wink

there is so much stuff there that deserves to be heard, including with that the passing of the president's wife

ah, one less unobtainable score to delete from my list cheesy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  9. Yeah, I mean the first lady theme.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  10. PawelStroinski wrote
    Yeah, I mean the first lady theme.

good choice wink
  11. I love the little heroic motif when the gang is preparing for the final battle, about the time when Russel Casse (Randy Quaid's characters) almost fires a missile while on the ground. Like with the Godzilla release there's an incredible amount of worthy stuff that screamed for a release. That day has finally come !!! punk

The score makes the movie awesome and a delight to watch and hear.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  12. DreamTheater wrote
    I love the little heroic motif when the gang is preparing for the final battle, about the time when Russel Casse (Randy Quaid's characters) almost fires a missile while on the ground. Like with the Godzilla release there's an incredible amount of worthy stuff that screamed for a release. That day has finally come !!! punk

The score makes the movie awesome and a delight to watch and hear.

every hidden gem is finally being released cheesy
  13. Forgot to mention this post by LLLR today:

Mornin', y'all!

Just wanted to give you a heads up on two new LIMITED EDITION TITLES coming your way next TUESDAY, MARCH 9 at NOON PST:

They are...

SPEECHLESS - making its worldwide debut is Marc Shaiman's charming score to the Michael Keaton/Geena Davis romantic comedy. This old fashioned score is a throwback to the golden age of romantic score comedies.

Limited Edition of 1200 units
    Produced by Ford A. Thaxton
    Mastered by James Nelson
    Liner Notes by Randall Larson

DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS - Miles Goodman's fantastic never-before-released score to the Michael Caine/Steve Martin comedy. Jazzy, fun and playful... a must for any film score fan!

Limited Edition of 1200 units
    Produced by Ford A. Thaxton
    Mastered by James Nelson
    Liner Notes by Randall Larson

As always, sound clips, track listings and artwork will be posted next Tuesday! See you then!

MV

He also said, when the issue of Arnold leaking the ID4 news in a Tweet, said he hopes "Now, if Williams Tweets anything...". Make of that what you will.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2010
    Seeing that ID4 is a Sony-owned film... a complete Hook, perhaps? lick