• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Update on Kritzerland's release of "White Witch Doctor":

Well under 100 now, and the good news is it's coming very early and we'll ship on Wednesday.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Update from La La Land Records:

The forecast for June begins with some Snow and then a few weeks later brings us a flurry of Williams and a dash of Horner.

June 30 may bring a possible reissue or another project, but right now we are unsure if anything will be done in time.

In any event, enjoy La-La Land's latest batch of titles!

Art work iamge of the June titles
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Thanks to an FSM poster, "Texas Rising" is coming to CD:

Good news that a CD is coming indeed. Got a Confirmation from Bruce Brougton's office ! More info as details emerge.
  4. Fewer than 50 copies of "White Witch Doctor" left.
  5. A couple years ago, or so, Roger had reported they thought they found the master tapes to "Volunteers" (Horner). Well, good news and bad news; posted Tuesday at the Intrada forums:

I wish, but we only had one cue to test out the elements. The licensor is 100% unresponsive. I can't seem to get any traction. Very frustrating -- it reminds me of trying to get that Slipstream license. But I'll figure it out eventually.
  6. According to Oops! Wee Announced Too Early! Amazon.com, La La Land will be releasing Joe Kraemer's score to the upcoming Mission: Impossible film.
  7. I don't know how I missed it, but on May 26, MV said in regards to the upcoming 3CD of "A.I.":

This release was rebuilt from the ground up with Mr Williams's full support. 1941, Hook, and Empire of the Sun paved the way for this great release and for future Williams/Spielberg projects yet to come.

smile

MV

So, there is more stuff coming from one of hte most famous director/composer collaborations in film history.
  8. Quartet has just done what La La Land Records has been ding -- they issued a poster of their titles for a month; releases for June:

http://scontent-atl1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hph … 6653_o.jpg
  9. DISCONTINUATION ALERT

You have until June 15 to get these Intrada titles:

"Beyond the Poseidon Adventure" / "Gray Lady Down" (Jerry Feilding)

"Remo Williams" (pilot) / "Mission of the Shark: The Saga of the U.S.S. Indianapolis" (Craig Safan)

If you liked his Remo film score, you'll enjoy the failed TV pilot score.
  10. Clues for Music Box Records releases next week:

New batch next week. Three soundtracks, two CDs!
    One of the releases will feature two scores from the same composer/director collaboration.
    If you like to whistle, two of the three releases are made for you!
  11. Clues for the June 9 Intrada titles:

How did it get to be Thursday already?

Two releases next week, one is 2 of....just kidding. Got you going there for a second. One is a beautiful, almost heartbreaking romantic score from the early 90s. Partially released then, completely released now by one of the masters of romance. We dumped the songs this time in favor of adding all that unreleased score.

Attention all golden age fans, sorry for the neglect, but your day has come. Not just any golden age score, but a true Oscar-nominated classic from the mid-40s featuring recently discovered elements. Not quite complete, not state of the art sound, but a big restoration on a score that transcends its recording medium. Probably the most important score from this composer's Noir period. I think I've given too much away...I might as well name it. But I won't.

Roger
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2015
    Well, the first sounds like John Barry's Indecent Proposal and the second is obviously Rozsa.
  12. New releases from Music Box Records:

PEUR SUR LA VILLE (1975)
    Music Composed, Orchestrated and Conducted by Ennio Morricone

Remastered reissue. Limited edition of 500 units.
    8-page CD booklet with French and English liner notes by Sylvain Pfeffer.

Ref: MBR-068
    Release Date: June 19, 2015

Peur sur la ville (1975) is the twenty-eighth full-length feature directed by Henri Verneuil and his fifth collaboration with Italian composer Ennio Morricone. The film provided French actor Jean-Paul Belmondo his first "cop" film role and was one of Henri Verneuil's biggest successes.

Minos (Adalberto Maria Merli), a lunatic serial killer, frightens Paris by phoning young ladies at night. Police Commissioner Letellier (Jean-Paul Belmondo) and his assistant Moissac (Charles Denner) investigate these vicious murders and have hard work with the maniac. Thus begins a heart-stopping manhunt through the capital to uncover the identity of this mysterious and terrifying Minos with one glass eye. The film remains to this day renowned for its stunts tailor-made for Belmondo, including the famous chase across the roofs of the Galeries Lafayette and the metro scene in Paris.

For Peur sur la ville, Ennio Morricone composed a heady main theme which is constructed laid over the rhythm of a heart pulse, provided by a bass drum, a solitary whistle voice and a harmonica. He also composed lighter pieces for the film, more of an “easy listening” nature dominated by a jazz guitar.

In collaboration with Sugar Music, Music Box Records presents this new reissue remastered from the original master tapes and makes this new definitive edition available once again for those who missed the previous GDM (Italy) and SLC (Japan) editions. The limited edition of 500 units comes with an 8-page booklet with French and English commentary by Sylvain Pfeffer.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Peur sur la ville (4:13)
    2. Considération sur un homicide (3:13)
    3. Avvertire la polizia (1:56)
    4. Dolcemente ambigua (3:21)
    5. Minaccia telefonata n.1 (2:25)
    6. Sur les toits de Paris (1:46)
    7. Essere preso dal panico (1:29)
    8. Une bouffée de radio (5:56)
    9. Paris secret (2:18)
    10. La scorta (1:11)
    11. Paranoïaquement vôtre (4:12)
    12. Le Tellier e Helene (1:08)
    13. Minaccia telefonata n.2 (3:04)
    14. Otages (4:31)
    15. Assassino (1:08)
    16. Défense de stationner (2:24)
    17. À l'angle d'une rue de la périphérie (2:44)
    18. Notturno primo (4:15)
    19. Notturno secondo (4:41)
    20. Mannequins (1:17)
    21. Peur sur la ville (final) (1:44)
    22. Peur sur la ville (suite) (15:15)

Total Time • 75:06

For sound clips and available for order, please visit: http://www.musicbox-records.com/en/1878 … ville.html

LA VICTOIRE EN CHANTANT (Black and White in Color) • COUP DE TÊTE (Hothead)
    Two Jean-Jacques Annaud’s Original Motion Picture Soundtracks
    Music Composed by Pierre Bachelet

Limited Edition of 350 units. First time on CD.
    56 minutes of music, including 20 minutes of music never released before.
    8-page CD booklet with French and English liner notes by Nicolas Magenham.

Ref: MBR-067
    Release Date: June 19, 2015

Through the beginning of the 1970s, Pierre Bachelet acquired a certain acclaim in the advertising world, through his work as a sound illustrator. Here he met directors such as Just Jaeckin (Emmanuelle, The Last Romantic Lover) and Jean-Jacques Annaud (Wolf Totem, Enemy at the Gates). In collaboration with Emi Music Publishing and Tele Music, Music Box Records is pleased to present on CD the collaboration between Pierre Bachelet and Jean-Jacques Annaud, with original soundtracks from the director’s first two films: La Victoire en chantant (Black and White in Color) (1976) and Coup de tête (Hothead) (1979).

La Victoire en chantant won the Oscar for 'Best Foreign Language Film' in 1977. The film takes place in Equatorial Africa, in 1915, in a region in which French and German military posts co-exist. The film paints a portrait of colonists scornful of the local people, but also pathetic in their desire to play out the First World War in miniature. Through its simplicity and utopian naivety, the main theme Bachelet composed bears an ironic stance towards its own rhythm, a military march which is ridiculously over-emphasized, personifying all of the gravitas displayed by the colonists. This present edition recreates the original LP program which was only available on the American label Buddah Records in 1977 and also includes an unreleased version of the end title as a bonus track.

The satirical comedy, Coup de tête, describes the struggle of “one man against all”. It tells the story of François Perrin (Patrick Dewaere), who, after having trivially injured Trincamp football club's star player, is unfairly dropped from the team and sent back to the factory where he works. After this, subject to false testimony provided by some of the town’s most important figures, Perrin is fingered as prime suspect for a rape that he did not commit. But Perrin's revenge will be sweet... This newly remastered edition features for the first time all the score written for the film and includes an unreleased version of the main title as a bonus track. The score is based on this unforgettable tune whistled by Pierre Bachelet himself, and its many well-crafted variations. Bachelet’s whistled pieces are not exactly bellicose, but on the contrary, rather aimless, navigating with detachment upon a melody that is simple and sweet.

The limited edition of 350 units comes with an 8-page booklet with French and English commentary by Nicolas Magenham.

TRACK LISTING:

La Victoire en chantant (Black and White in Color)
    1. La victoire en chantant (2:50)
    2. La lettre (2:10)
    3. La bataille (2:48)
    4. En franchissant le Rhin (3:04)
    5. La chanson des souliers (3:05)
    6. La victoire en chantant (2:49)
    Performed by Pierre Bachelet
    7. Recrutement sur le marché (2:35)
    8. Thème de Fresnoy (2:49)
    9. La revue de Fresnoy (2:45)
    10. Les tambours de la Côte d'Ivoire (2:09)
    11. Final (2:10)
    12. Générique de fin (inédit) (2:35)
    Time • 32:22

Coup de tête (Hothead)
    13. Générique début (2:14)
    14. En voyage (1:35)
    15. L'inspecteur, le Président et sa femme (1:29)
    16. Sortie de prison (1:24)
    17. Invitations à dîner (1:44)
    18. Allez Trincamp ! (2:20)
    19. Station-service (2:05)
    20. Hymne de Trincamp (0:50)
    Performed by Pierre Bachelet
    21. La victoire en fanfare (1:24)
    22. La revanche (2:31)
    23. Générique de fin (3:51)
    24. Générique début (version alternative) (2:12)
    Time • 24:08

Total Time • 56:32

For sound clips and available for order, please visit: http://www.musicbox-records.com/en/1877 … -tete.html
  13. "The Great Train Robbery" has left the station over at Intrada. A user at FSM contacted them after finding it sold out and the reply was:

It was an MAF title, but our license expired on it. So there won't be any more pressed. There's still a few copies left on our Amazon store if you want one.

So, if you want a copy at a good price, soon would be a good tiem to get one, otherwise you got to wait until some label decides to re-issue it.
  14. Lock up your daughters and hide your wallets, here come the Varese CD Club releases again:

"I know, it's been a while, but now that we've returned from 1985 it seems like a good time for a couple of good, old-fashioned CD Club releases. We'll announce them Monday, June 22. See you next week!"

I guess the old days of four titles with something for every score lover, are over.
  15. Thanks to an FSM user, Joihn Debney has posted on his Facebook page:

"Big news coming soon...."

And linked to a video of "Cutthroat Island".
  16. The Varese CD Club titles are:

"Gremlins 2" (Goldsmith)
    and "Outbreak" (J.N.H.)
  17. I'd definitely recommend Outbreak, there's some cracking action material along very similar lines to Waterworld that never made the 30-minute original release. Thor, Southall etc., shut up, this is totally 100% a case where the expansion is an improvement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2015 edited
    I don't really care, to be honest. I saw the film back in the 90s, and found it OK (I'd probably watch it if it came on TV), but I never cared much for the soundtrack even when I owned it. Of course, there's a chance I would feel differently today, but not enough to re-purchase it -- and certainly not enough to pick up an expansion.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2015
    justin boggan wrote
    The Varese CD Club titles are:

"Gremlins 2" (Goldsmith)
    and "Outbreak" (J.N.H.)

Great to see some "action" back at Varèse... the last some monthes were terribly uninteresting release-wise... But I now gladly add those two Club titles to my collection. Bring 'em on.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2015
    Thor wrote
    I don't really care, to be honest. I saw the film back in the 90s, and found it OK (I'd probably watch it if it came on TV), but I never cared much for the soundtrack even when I owned it. Of course, there's a chance I would feel differently today, but not enough to re-purchase it -- and certainly not enough to pick up an expansion.

Good for those that want them but I'm with Thor, I never cared much for either release first time around though both have some fine moments. Also, my musical world doesn't revolve solely about soundtracks, there's too much good music out there for me to waste time on expansions of scores I was lukewarm to.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  18. Posted yesterday at FSM:

We just got artwork approval on one Horner project and he signed off on a master for another one just last week. We are devastated by the news here.

MV

It's sad reading things like that. But I find some glimmer of hope in that two scores by him are due fiarly soon.
  19. Interesting to release coming from Perseverence Records:

PALEOLITHIC CAVES OF EUROPE INFLUENCE NEW ALBUM
    FROM COMPOSER CRAIG SAFAN

Perseverance Records to Release Album on July 7th

(June 5, 2015—Santa Monica, CA) The ancient caves of Southern France and Northern Spain served as the inspiration for Rough Magic, composed by Craig Safan. Perseverance Records will release the album digitally and on CD on July 7, 2015.

“For many years I have wanted to take my love of Paleolithic art and ancient myth and translate it into a musical form. Rough Magic is the final outcome,” said Safan, who was influenced by the caves he initially toured in the 1970s. “I was fascinated by some really interesting studies on music and what the music of primitive man might have been like. As a composer, everything speaks to me musically. So the concept of basing a piece of music on the cave art I’d experienced in my youth inevitably gelled.”

The first cave paintings containing art made by primitive humans were discovered in Spain in 1870 – some of which are believed to be 40,000 years old. “Studies into the origins of music suggest a correlation between the development of music and cave art in what is known as the ‘cultural explosion’ of 60,000 to 30,000 years ago. It is believed that these and other new forms of behavior and creative expression reflected the emergence of ‘intentionality’ as humans passed from instinctive behavior to intentional thought,” described Randall D. Larson in the album’s liner notes.

“Being a pictorial composer I tend to see music in visual terms - what used to be called ‘programmatic music’,” described Safan. “Each piece in Rough Magic is based on a specific scenario and in that way the work is somewhat like a ballet built on thirteen scenes. The titles allude to these stories but not in an overly detailed way, leaving much to the listener’s imagination.”

After visiting these caves with his field recorders, “I took all the sounds that I had gathered on my visit to the caves, and I took a lot of samples from other weird instruments I’ve collected over the years, plus my own huge library of sound effects, and I loaded them into computers so that I could play them on a keyboard using different music software programs,” Safan said.

But the influence of the caves didn’t stop there. Safan described, “All the reverbs used for the music was modeled using the echoes I recorded in specific caves. Voices, footsteps, breaths, rocks, handclaps, whistles, and even stalactites being struck; all were turned into the various instruments I used performing the music.”

He continued, “It’s like painting, - I’m painting with sound. The digital equipment in my studio enabled me to experiment, change, and adjust layers until I was satisfied I’d achieved what I had in mind.”

Craig Safan has composed the music for over thirty feature films including MR. WRONG, STAND AND DELIVER, MAJOR PAYNE, NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET IV, REMO WILLIAMS, and THE LAST STARFIGHTER. For the small screen, Craig is best known for his work as the composer for the series CHEERS for which he was awarded eight ASCAP Top TV awards, as well as for his music for LIFE GOES ON, which earned Safan an EMMY® nomination.

Craig is a graduate of Brandeis University and was the recipient of both the Senior Prize in Drama and the Senior Prize in Music. He was also the recipient of the Thomas J. Watson Fellowship, which allowed him to independently pursue his music in London after graduation. Craig has given seminars or spoken at The American Film Institute, USC Film School, ASCAP Film Music Workshop, Berklee College of Music, The International Film Music Festival of Córdoba and UC Santa Barbara.

Safan is a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, where he sits on the Music Executive Committee of the Academy. For many years he was part of the President’s Art Council at Brandeis University. Craig also serves on the Selection Committee for the Thomas J. Watson Foundation Fellowship in New York City. Craig and his wife, Linda Safan, are actively involved in Disability Rights issues and were recently awarded a Certificate of Commendation by mayor Anthony Vallaraigosa of Los Angeles as well as by County Supervisor Mark Ridley Thomas for their work in founding the Circle Of Friends, a nonprofit organization that pairs disabled and non-disabled students throughout California and other states.

“As people listen to Rough Magic, I hope they let themselves go to another place,” Safan said. “A place of spirituality, a place of fear, a place of mystery. I’ve never been religious, but I’ve always been very spiritual, and fascinated by the mysteries of life. There are endless mysteries of life that we’ll never solve in our lifetime. And to me, Rough Magic is about the mystery and the sense of awe, the sense of spirituality, and how astonishing everything was to primitive humanity.”

Perseverance Records presents Craig Safan Rough Magic, available digitally and on CD on July 7, 2015.

###
    http://craigsafan.com/index.html

Being some what familiar with his scoring on the 1980's "Ripley's Believe It or Not!" series, this release has me a bit curious.
  20. DISCONTINUATION ALERT

You have until July 13 to pick these titles up from Intrada:

"The Journey Inside" (David Shire)

and

"Robo Warriors" (Richard Band)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2015
    The Journey Inside didn't last very long. It's great!
  21. La La Land Records' titles for July:
    Artwork for titles.

And:
    THE LA-LA LAND 4TH OF JULY CELEBRATION! Starting at 12noon (PST) on June 30th, any order at www.lalalandrecords.com with a total more than $35.00 will receive FREE SHIPPING. That's free shipping WORLDWIDE for any orders with a total of more than $35.00! Sale runs through 7/13.
  22. And apparently the Varese Club wasn't done yet and wants to strike again -- with additional titles as well:

CD CLUB NEWS: We've started shipping the GREMLINS 2 and OUTBREAK Deluxe Editions and already have one more new CD Club title that we can't wait to share and will announce on Monday, July 6 at 10 am, along with 4 Limited Edition series CDs! See you on the 6th!
  23. Quartet Records releases for July -- which includes Morricone and Schifrin:

IMAGE QR CREATED WITH COVERS
  24. Samples for that Safan CD mentioned a few posts above:

http://www.fortytwotradingco.com/rough-magic-cd/

Very odd music.
  25. "Odd" is putting it nicely in my book. I have been "lucky" enough to hear the whole thing and didn't like it at all.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn