• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. According to MV today at the FSM board, LLLR will be releasing Craig Armstrong's score to the upcoming film "Frankenstein". November is the projected month.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. New from Kritzerland:

Kritzerland is proud to present a new limited edition soundtrack release – two classic Bernard Herrmann soundtracks on one CD:

HANGOVER SQUARE – EXPANDED EDITION

and

5 FINGERS

Music Composed and Conducted by Bernard Herrmann

Sometimes a movie comes along in which all the elements align perfectly – cast, writer, director, photography, art direction, costumes, and music – and the result is often a unique film that works on every level, and the 1945 film Hangover Square is a perfect example. The cast was perfection, with Laird Cregar as composer/pianist George Henry Bone, beautiful and talented Linda Darnell and the always-wonderful George Sanders. In a film in which a musical composition also plays a leading role, the choice of composer is key to the film’s success. In this case, the match was sublime – Bernard Herrmann.

For Hangover Square, Herrmann’s task was to compose George Henry Bone’s piano concerto. The resulting “Concerto Macabre” is a tour de force – the concerto had to accomplish many things, including beginning and ending with just piano, but it also had to portray the mind of its on-screen composer and his descent into madness. But the concerto is but one piece of Herrmann’s musical tapestry in Hangover Square, and the rest of the score is as evocative and brilliant as the concerto.

5 Fingers was a 1952 spy picture directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz. Bernard Herrmann
    was once again the perfect choice for the film. His score conveys every bit of suspense and emotion, from the dramatic main title, to the jittery music for “Cicero,” to the brief-but-beautiful cue “Romance,” to the exciting music for “Escape.” Much of the score almost seems like a preview of what Herrmann would go on to compose for his legendary series of films with director Alfred Hitchcock. It’s a world-class score by a world-class composer.

Both 5 Fingers and Hangover Square were released in the Bernard Herrmann at Fox box set on Varese Sarabande. For that release, Hangover Square was a much-truncated presentation. But thanks to advances in technology and a couple of new sources we present it here with over sixteen additional minutes of music, and what music it is. While the source material for 5 Fingers was in excellent condition, the sources used for Hangover Square were not in as prime condition. Everything possible has been done to clean them up, but the music is so important we wanted to include every note we could. For this CD, Mike Matessino has gone back to the 5 Fingers elements and done a fresh new transfer, which sounds absolutely stunning, and he’s done the same for Hangover Square.

Hangover Square/5 Fingers is limited to 1000 copies only and is priced at $19.98, plus shipping. CDs will ship by the last week of September. However, never fear – on average we usually ship two to four weeks ahead of the official ship date. To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. DISCONTINUATION ALERT

You have until September 7 to pick up the following titles from Intrada:

"Shock Treatment" / "Fate is the Hunter"

and

"Fandango"
  4. Roger posted today at his Intrada forum:

As part of our 30th Anniversary milestone, we are thrilled to announce the launch of a customer loyalty program. Starting today, all purchases will earn 1 point for every $20 spent, and every point can be redeemed for $1 off future purchases. You don't need to do anything to join this program, we have enrolled you automatically, and you will automatically earn points as you make purchases in the future. To redeem your points, you will see an option under your "My Account" page for "Loyalty Program." There you can view your current points balance and redeem points. When you redeem points, in any amount, you will be emailed a gift certificate code. Enter this code the next time you checkout (there will be an option to enter a gift certificate), and your total due will be reduced by the gift certificate amount entered.
  5. justin boggan wrote
    Roger posted today at his Intrada forum:

As part of our 30th Anniversary milestone, we are thrilled to announce the launch of a customer loyalty program. Starting today, all purchases will earn 1 point for every $20 spent, and every point can be redeemed for $1 off future purchases. You don't need to do anything to join this program, we have enrolled you automatically, and you will automatically earn points as you make purchases in the future. To redeem your points, you will see an option under your "My Account" page for "Loyalty Program." There you can view your current points balance and redeem points. When you redeem points, in any amount, you will be emailed a gift certificate code. Enter this code the next time you checkout (there will be an option to enter a gift certificate), and your total due will be reduced by the gift certificate amount entered.

good news I think for my brother wink
    and of course lot's of other fellow buyers
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. New from Music Box Records:

SARAH (1983) • DÉSORDRE (1986)
    Two Original Picture Soundtracks
    Music Composed by Gabriel Yared

Limited Edition of 500 copies. First time on CD.
    More than 50 minutes of music, including three previously unreleased cues.
    8-page CD booklet with French and English liner notes by Sylvain Pfeffer.

Ref: MBR-073
    Release Date: September 1, 2015

The first 70 copies purchased directly from our online store will be autographed by the composer, Gabriel Yared (offer limited to 1 autographed copy by customer).

Music Box Records is pleased to present on the same album two original motion picture soundtracks composed by Gabriel Yared and mostly unreleased on CD: Sarah (1983) directed by Maurice Dugowson and Désordre (1986) directed by Olivier Assayas (his first full-length feature). These two scores show Gabriel Yared’s interest in innovative ambiances and sound in his early years of film composing.

For Sarah, Gabriel Yared composed his score around the second movement of Robert Schumann’s Piano Quintet in E-flat major, Op. 44 with its numerous variations. L'anniversaire is Sarah’s other great theme, associated with the character of Gabrielle Lazure. This theme starts out as a little romantic ballad, then becomes coloured with jazz influences. Other pieces are a very well balanced mix of a string orchestra and synthetic sounds which envelop the film in the fantastic.

For Désordre, Gabriel Yared composed his score in a classical vein, dominated by cello. The music becomes the internal voice of the characters, expressing their feelings.

In collaboration with Gabriel Yared, Music Box Records presents for the first time on CD these two expanded scores newly remastered from the original session stereo master tapes.

TRACK LISTING:

SARAH (34:12)
    1. L'anniversaire* (1:51)
    2. Générique début (1:17)
    3. À la recherche de Duparc (1:11)
    4. Le retour de Sarah (2:52)
    5. Promenade dans l'usine (0:42)
    6. Marie dans la nuit (2:10)
    7. Quintette pour piano en mi bémol majeur, op. 44
    (Robert Schumann)* (2:03)
    8. Rencontre de la petite fille (0:36)
    9. Le cadavre sur la plage (2:10)
    10. L'incendie du décor / La répétition dans le loft (1:51)
    11. Les yeux de Sarah (2:19)
    12. Arnold Samson / L'amour de Marie et Arnold (3:54)
    13. Vers la maison de Marie (0:41)
    14. L'azur de Sarah (1:24)
    15. Senechal dans les échafaudages (1:56)
    16. Le tournage de fin (2:36)
    17. Générique de fin (3:53)

DÉSORDRE (17:48)
    18. Générique début (1:35)
    19. Au bord de l'autoroute (1:21)
    20. J'aime Yvan, seulement Yvan, lui seul (1:11)
    21. Anne et Henri au Gibus (1:04)
    22. L'accident* (2:04)
    23. Le balcon chez Paul / Les quais (1:54)
    24. Trop tard pour changer d'avis (1:29)
    25. Je ne veux plus vous voir (0:54)
    26. Brighton / L'aube à Newhaven (1:24)
    27. Anne arrive à New York (0:57)
    28. Générique de fin (3:28)

* previously unreleased

Total Time • 52:02

For sound clips and available for order, please visit: http://www.musicbox-records.com/en/cd-s … ordre.html

L'ORDINATEUR DES POMPES FUNÈBRES (1976) • DIS-MOI QUE TU M'AIMES (1974)
    Two Original Picture Soundtracks
    Music Composed and Conducted by Claude Bolling

First time on CD. More than 65 minutes of music never released before.
    8-page CD booklet with French and English liner notes by Nicolas Magenham.
    Limited edition of 350 units.

Ref: MBR-072
    Release Date: September 1, 2015

In collaboration with Sugar Music, Music Box Records is pleased to present on the same CD two original motion picture soundtracks composed and conducted by Claude Bolling: L’Ordinateur des pompes funèbres (Gérard Pirès, 1976) and Dis-moi que tu m’aimes (Michel Boisrond, 1974).

Directed in 1976 by Gérard Pirès, based on Walter Kempley’s novel The Probability Factor, L’Ordinateur des pompes funèbres (The Undertaker Parlor Computer) tells the story of Fred (Jean-Louis Trintignant), a statistician who develops computer software capable of programming the death of loved ones he wishes to see disappear, beginning with his wife Gloria (Lea Massari). This is an homage to the American film noir genre. The film is a mix of police story and black humour. Claude Bolling composed a jazzy score and alternates between sombre and mysterious moods (blended with a Mancini-style of humour), and parts written for a big band, expressing the murderous impulses and madness of the hero. Some are pieces written in a serious tone and others in “new romantic” style, these serve to reinforce the satirical aspect of the film through employment of irony.

Dis-moi que tu m’aimes (Tell Me You Love Me) is a film, directed by Michel Boisrond, in which the humour in particular is inscribed in the vein of French bedroom farce, a genre Claude Bolling took a part in on many occasions in the 1970s. Claude Bolling’s sophisticated and inventive music is more often anchored in his own time, as shown by the presence of numerous pop themes typical of the 1970s. This present edition also includes the exquisite title song performed by the main actors, playing a deliberate retro pastiche card.

Music Box Records is very pleased to present the two unreleased scores composed by Claude Bolling in their first-ever complete presentations. Limited to 350 units, this release has been fully remastered from the session tapes and includes an 8-page booklet with liner notes by Nicolas Magenham, discussing the film and the score.

TRACK LISTING:

L’ORDINATEUR DES POMPES FUNÈBRES (31:44)
    1. L'ordinateur (3:41)
    2. Charlotte (2:37)
    3. Gloria toujours (samba #1) (4:07)
    4.Préméditation (meurtre) (3:03)
    5. Mort par ambulance (1:00)
    6. Le bonheur (1:46)
    7. La femme de l'année (Louise) (4:55)
    8. Gloria toujours (samba #2) (2:05)
    9. L'ordinateur (2ème version) (4:08)
    10. Ménage à trois (2:27)
    11. Le bonheur (2ème version) (1:25)

DIS-MOI QUE TU M'AIMES (24:23)
    12. Dis-moi que tu m'aimes (2:20)
    13. Oh Beautiful Day (5:04)
    14. Kwika Ukuleley (3:32)
    15. Quand on s'aime (1:03)
    16. Ribs (3:55)
    17. Joy Road (3:51)
    18. Quand on s'aime (solitude) (1:50)
    19. Dis-moi que tu m'aimes (vocal) (2:30)
    Performed by Mireille Darc, Marie-José Nat, Jean-Pierre Marielle, Daniel Ceccaldi & Jean-Pierre Darras

Total Time • 56:09

For sound clips and available for order, please visit: http://www.musicbox-records.com/en/cd-s … aimes.html
  7. The Adventures of Robin Hood (Korngold) and Moby Dick (Sainton) have newly been issued on regular CDA by Naxos. I received my copies today from amazon.de and could satisfy myself that these are no CD-R.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  8. More information about the "Lost in Space" box La La Land is working on, posted today at the FSM forum:

We will be posting the drool worthy picture of the set soon

In the meantime, start saving those pennies

12 disc set - over 900 minutes of music
    Release date: Oct 6, 2015
    Retail Price: $149.98
    Limited Edition of 1500 units

MV
  9. Small update from LLLR's:

Volume 3 of "The X-Files" has been delayed again and will not come out this year.

Maybe one new Trek release. Confirmed Trek releases coming at unspecified dates: "Enterprise" (Volume 2), "Star Trek: The Next Generation" (Volume 2), and "Star Trek: Voyager" (hopefulyl a Volume 1).
  10. Art work image from Quartet REcords for their releases for the month of September:

LINK
  11. Special sale:

LA-LA LAND RECORDS PRESENTS

ONE WEEK ONLY!: BUY TWO GET ONE FREE SPECTACULAR! STARTS 9/8 at 12noon (PST). For every two CDs you purchase online at lalalandrecords.com, get another CD of your choice absolutely FREE!

We won't even charge you additional shipping for the free CD! Here's how you do it -- you must purchase at least two CDs.(This includes multi-disc and box sets as well). Then, at checkout, enter the title of the FREE CD you want in the "comments" section of your order. Your free CD must be equal to, or less than, the price of the lowest cost CD you purchased.

For instance, if you purchased one CD that was $24.98 and another that was $15.98, the free CD you choose must be priced on our site as $15.98 or LESS. And this applies to EVERY PAIR of CDs you purchase, so with every 2 CDs you buy, you get to choose another free soundtrack and enter it into the "comments" section (again, each free selection must be equal to, or less than, the price of the lowest cost CD in that purchased pair).

This offer is good thru 9/14 and applies only to CDs that are currently in stock.
  12. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwRAs_VdydE

Upcoming rerecording of Rozsa's 'Sodom and Gomorrah', sounds absolutely fantastic!

Have already preordered at:
    http://www.tadlowmusic.com/2015/09/sodo … los-rozsa/
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2015 edited
    I already own two (!) releases of that score...but yeah, you're right. This sounds incredibly rich and beautiful.
    Yup.
    Gonna get this one.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  13. Me too!
  14. Have. To. Get. This.
  15. Europeans might be better off buying it here, which is what I'll do. cheesy

Chris' Soundtrack Corner

Have never heard a note of this, so I'm going in blind.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  16. ^ That's also my vendor of choice. Recommendable.

(Bur, ew, isn't Tadlow located in England?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2015
    It certainly is, and I'm quite surprised Chris is able to offer it that cheaply!
    (Direct sale Tadlow price is 19.95 GBP which is €27.26).

So yeah, very mice! Especially when generally Chris'Soundtrack Corner, while very good and very service-minded, tends to be slightly on the expensive side normally.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    So yeah, very mice!

Very mice indeed.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Rather cheesy, on second thought.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Very odd that he can offer it that cheaply.
  17. That was the first thing I noticed, its cheap price compared to what's normally for sale on that store.

Maybe because it's a Prometheus release (from Belgium)? So it's not imported like almost everything else?

If you go for buying overseas there's also the huge shipping cost to consider... which is half what they ask for this release. shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2015
    Nope. Buying from Tadlow directly is just two quid shipping cost, anywhere.
    So yeah, a bit of an interesting conundrum this.
  18. Announcement from the Varese Sarabande Facebook page:

NEW LIMITED EDITIONS COMING! A quartet of new Varèse Sarabande Limited Editions will be announced on Monday, September 21.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2015
  19. Perhaps city hall will issue an executive decision on the matter?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Not without my daughter!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Heads, I win.
    Tails, you lose.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Heads, I win.
    Tails, you lose.

I got Edmund's and Steven's, but not that one. I don't think I'm up to The Challenge.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2015
    Beats me?

Tails he loses I say!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt