• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. DISCONTINUATUION ALERT

You have until November 21 to get the following from Intrada:

The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2016 edited
    shocked

Must. Have. MUST. HAVE.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2016
    Goofy looking cover, though -- looks like a cheap affair.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Martijn wrote
    shocked

Must. Have. MUST. HAVE.

But of course! smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Somehow I managed to miss this posted from May 18, 2016 at the FSM series where MV let slip two titles coming:

JFK -- 2017 or later
    POLICE ACADEMY 2 - 2017 or later

Like I stated we do have some more Goldsmith and Williams in the works for 2016. We'll see what happens

MV

This is a change from 2015 where he had previously stated:
    JFK is pretty much complete. It was an odd score to record being that it wasn't scored to picture. It may happen some day, but I honestly do not know how to approach it

And an update from La La Land Records:

Okay, kiddies, you have two weeks to save up for 5 new releases coming out Nov 29, 2016 at 12 pm pst

LLLCD 1406 - $19.98
    LLLCD 1407 - $19.98
    LLLCD 1408 - 2 CD SET - $24.98
    LLLCD 1409 - 4 CD SET - $59.98
    LLLCD 1410 - 4 CD SET - $49.98

See ya at 12:01 am, November 25 for our annual BLACK FRIDAY announcement!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Watership Down Angela Morley

The PEG release of this score was a long searched Holy Grail of mine which eventually I got. I just discovered, that the identical content gets a new release by Dutton Vocalion.

smile Volker
  5. Based on Intrada's clues for the final batch this year, FSM member seems to have figured them out:

ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS (BRUCE BROUGHTON)
    RETURN TO THE BLUE LAGOON (BASIL POLEDOURIS)
    SILENT RUNNING (PETER SCHICKELE)

The Poledouris score was mentioned as coming from them, in the booklet to the first score they released a couple weeks ago.

Unfortunately, the Schickele score is just a mastering of a pristine LP since they looked and looked and couldn't find any master tapes (though they said if they ever do, they'll revisit the score).
  6. Peter Schickele? Isn't that the guy otherwise known as PDQ Bach? biggrin
  7. @ Silent Running:
    A CD mastered from a mint LP can sound awesome. As the original masters are assumed lost I'll add that release to my collection. I also recommend the re-recorded suite found on Space 3: Beyond the Final Frontier.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2016
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Peter Schickele? Isn't that the guy otherwise known as PDQ Bach? biggrin

My very first reaction as well...and to my amazement...it IS!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. I do hope the score has plenty of tromboon solos.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2016
    I'm fairly certain there's a small part for the infamous double-reed hookah!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2016
    Martijn wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Peter Schickele? Isn't that the guy otherwise known as PDQ Bach? biggrin

My very first reaction as well...and to my amazement...it IS!

It is indeed! We even talked about this some years ago. Old age an all that? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2016 edited
    I remember it well. smile I wasn't referring to my amazement now but my amazement then! (I could have been clearer about that, but in my defense ....or compounded offense, as the case may be, I was quite blindingly drunk yesterday evening... shame )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2016 edited
    smile I salute your inebriated evening of debauched imbibementness applause face-palm-mt <salute
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. New from Alhambra Records:

Alhambra Records is proud to present on this CD the world premiere release in stereo of Angelo Francesco Lavagnino’s complete original score for the 1961 Arabian Nights fantasy movie THE WONDERS OF ALADDIN (Italian title: LE MERAVIGLIE DI ALADINO) which gives further proof of the enormous versatilty of the Italian composer.
    The movie is a delightful spectacle which takes some liberties with the famous 1001 Arabian Nights tale about the boy Aladdin and doesn’t take itself too seriously so that it is often more a slapstick comedy than an exciting adventure movie. It was co-directed by Henry Levin – who acted as a supervisor – and by Mario Bava whose typical visual style shines through in scene after scene. US actor and dancer Donald O’Connor, who had starred in several major musical films during the 1950s, was cast as Aladdin and he lends an irrepressible energy and a youthful charm to the character, whereas among the supporting cast we find such famous names as Terence Hill (here still under his real name Mario Girotti) who plays Prince Moluk, Michèle Mercier (as his beloved Princess Zaina) and Vittorio De Sica (as the genie).
    In 1961 Lavagnino was one of the busiest film composers in Italy with a prodigious output of more than a dozen scores for a variety of genres. Despite this frenetic activity and the short time span he was given for the completion of each score, his melodic inspiration and inventiveness almost never ceased. A case in point is THE WONDERS OF ALADDIN which even today sounds as fresh and infectious as ever. One of the strong points of Lavagnino’s style has always been his special flair for exotic music, for exciting rhythms and for splashes of local colour which is just what was needed for this kind of picture.
    The title sequence immediately sets the mood and atmosphere for a colourful fairy-tale fantasy with its enchanting and charming oriental dance which resembles a kind of playful ballet and in fact describes the mechanical movements of a dancing doll. Equally attractive is the festive exotic march which Lavagnino has composed for the procession sequence at the beginning of the movie. Often it is also the task of the burlesque music to keep the picture in motion and to even speed up the tempo of the visuals.
    One of the highlights of the score is of course the luxuriant love theme for Princess Zaina which has all the typical imprints of Lavagnino’s romantic style and is scored for sensual high strings with harp accompaniment. Besides those thematic ideas the score also offers an almost nostalgic accordion melody as a witty musical contrast to the man-killing Amazon huntresses, mysterious flute, harp and vibraphone music for the magician’s experiments in the subterranean caves and robust dramatic music for the action scenes.
    We hope that many fans of the composer and of classic Italian film music will enjoy this spirited fantasy score with its quite peculiar exotic and magic flair.

This exciting CD project – the ninth CD in our Lavagnino series - has only been possible thanks to the generous support of the three daughters of the composer - Bianca, Iudica and Alessandra Lavagnino -, who still had open reel tape copies of the original master tapes in their personal archive which we were allowed to use.
    Our CD edition which contains a 12-page booklet with extensive liner notes and numerous colour stills from the movie as well as a rare original letter by Miklós Rózsa (in which he expresses his admiration for Lavagnino) will be limited to 400 copies and can now be pre-ordered at SAE:
    http://www1.screenarchives.com/title_de … 0-EDITION/

The CD will be available here in Germany in about 8-10 days.

Track listing:

01. - Main Title 2:17
    02. - The Procession 1:27
    03. - The Marketplace 1:18
    04. - Aladdin on the Run 5:41
    05. - The Genie 1:13
    06. - Djalma‘s Dance 1:13
    07. - The Caravan - The Grand Vizier of Basora 1:04
    08. - The Deadly Mechanical Doll 0:31
    09. - The Caravan Sets Off - On the Way to Basora 2:04
    10. - Princess Zaina (Longer Version) 2:06
    11. - Attack on the Caravan 5:27
    12. - Mirage 1:31
    13. - The Amazons 1:47
    14. - The Genie is Summoned Again 1:29
    15. - The Genie and the Amazon 0:59
    16. - The Grand Vizier - The Magician 1:14
    17. - Prison Break and Recapture 3:33
    18. - The Dancing Doll 1:02
    19. - Secret Way to the Palace 1:08
    20. - The Skeleton - The Cows - The Prisoners Escape 1:16
    21. - The Babies are Switched - Rescue of the King‘s Newborn Baby 1:07
    22. - Princess Zaina Enters 0:44
    23. - Aladdin‘s Dance 2:06
    24. - Wedding Gift from the Beggars 0:47
    25. - Palace Fight 1:18
    26.- The Grand Vizier’ s Horsemen 1:22
    27. - Aladdin’ s Duel with the Grand Vizier 2:46
    28. - The Flying Carpet – Finale (Film Version) 1:08
    BONUS TRACKS
    29. - The Marketplace (Longer Version) 1:32
    30. - Princess Zaina (Film Version) 1:23
    31. - Finale (Longer Version) 1:21
    32. - Attack on the Caravan (US Version) 5:31
    33. - Mirage (US Version) 1:00
    34. - Prison Break (US Version) 2:06
    35. - Fanfare #1 0:14
    36. - Fanfare #2 0:05

Orchestra Cinefonica Italiana
    Conducted by Carlo Savina (Tracks 1-31, 35-36)
    and Mario Ammonini (Tracks 32-34)

You can listen to various sound samples of the CD in this Youtube video we have put together:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trwl-rJLiXU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyC_Vzwe9kc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw4BqJdrlBs
  10. Take it for what it's worth, but an Intrada user posted this on their fourms:

So a few years back I had emailed Broughton just thanking him for the wonderful music he writes and asking whether there were any plans to release his theme park music (specifically Ellen). This was his response:

"There are plans for a CD set of my theme park music to be released sometime in the near future which will include the Ellen show, as well. In fact, the set should have just about all of my Disney theme park music in it, so if you have any other favorites, they'll probably be included. But, as to when the release is, I don't know. It's just something to look forward to."
  11. New from Music Box Records:

THE MURDER OF MARY PHAGAN
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
    Music Composed and Conducted by Maurice Jarre

World Premiere release.
    Over 60 minutes of music never-before released.
    8-page CD booklet with liner notes by Randall D. Larson.
    Limited Edition of 1000 units.

Ref: MBR-105
    Release Date: December 5, 2016 - In Stock!

Music Box Records presents the world premiere release of Maurice Jarre’s score for The Murder of Mary Phagan, a 1988 American TV miniseries that told the tragic, true story of Leo Frank’s arrest and trial for the murder of 13-year old Mary Phagan in Atlanta, Georgia on April 26, 1913. Based largely on testimony later believed false, Frank was convicted and sentenced to death for the crime. Georgia Governor John M. Slaton later commuted Frank’s sentence to life imprisonment after determining evidence was insufficient to warrant execution; In protest, a group of armed men kidnapped Frank from prison and lynched him. Decades later, new evidence contradicted the testimony of 1913 and Leo Frank was posthumously pardoned by the State of Georgia in 1982.

Produced by George Stevens Jr., The Murder of Mary Phagan won three Primetime Emmy Awards, including Outstanding Miniseries. Committed to filming the story in the manner of a feature film, Stevens assembled a notable cast headlined by Academy Award-winning star Jack Lemmon, Peter Gallagher, and Kevin Spacey in one of his first co-starring roles. They were supported by an impressive array of veteran character actors, each of whom brought credibility and authenticity to their performances.

The film’s subdued but consummate musical score was the work of multiple Academy Award-winning composer Maurice Jarre (1924-2009) - quite a coup for George Stevens to land in his pursuit of a feature-film quality miniseries. But unlike the solo-synth scores that were prevalent throughout the decade, Jarre integrated his synths with his orchestra, recording the electronic instruments live on the scoring stage with the orchestra. The result is an engaging hybrid score that has the organic symphonic warmth flavored with unique electronic textures that gave the Mary Phagan score a quite remarkable sound palette.

The soundtrack debut of The Murder of Mary Phagan is presented in stereo from pristine-condition from multi-track session tapes. The album includes Jarre’s complete score as well as dance music standards of the period heard as source music on the soundtrack, arranged by Thomas Pasatieri (who also composed an original piece). The album includes an 8-page illustrated booklet featuring liner notes by Randall D. Larson who discusses the film’s background and examines Jarre’s little known score and its thematic architecture in detail.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Mary Phagan Main Title (2:24)
    2. Mary in the Play (1:06)
    3. I'm Going to Pick Up My Pay / Mary At Work (1:08)
    4. Mary in Leo's Office / Alonzo / Newton Discovers Mary's Body (1:41)
    5. The People Watching Mary's Body (0:53)
    6. A Posthumous Pardon (3:04)
    7. My Husband Is Innocent (0:56)
    8. Frank's Photo / You Don't Suspect Me (1:48)
    9. You'll Have the Gratitude (0:22)
    10. You're Heading the Ticket (0:36)
    11. I'm Going Home / You Can Get Back to Work (1:08)
    12. Help Me (1:20)
    13. Jubilation (1:13)
    14. Organ Grinder (1:16)
    15. Alonzo On the Witness Stand / Stop It (1:33)
    16. Can We Expect a Statement? / I Want Tonight Off (1:04)
    17. Slaton's Future Home / The Amputee Sings the Ballad (1:20)
    18. Mary's Parents' Silent Protest / Threatening Note (0:44)
    19. Slaton Questions Alonzo (2:17)
    20. The Girl Whose Hair It Was, Was Dead / Slaton (1:19)
    21. Thank You for Hearing Me / I Protest (1:42)
    22. To Me / The Umbrella (1:20)
    23. Leo Transplanted (1:45)
    24. Threatening Mob (0:38)
    25. I Don't Care, Sir / Time to Go (1:09)
    26. I Like Hotels (0:33)
    27. A Posthumous Pardon (Alternate) (3:04)
    28. Mary Phagan End Credits (1:22)

THE EXTRAS - SOURCE MUSIC
    29. El Choclo (3:04)
    30. Tales of the Vienna Woods (2:41)
    31. Prima Donna Waltz (1:42)
    32. Sunday Waltz (2:42)
    33. Angeline the Baker (2:18)
    34. Polka Wiesniaczka (3:07)
    35. Green Meadow Waltz (2:42)
    36. El Choclo (Alternate) (3:04)

Total Time • 61:32

For sound clips and available for order, please visit: http://www.musicbox-records.com/en/4253 … hagan.html

NEMO (DREAM ONE)
    Music Composed by Gabriel Yared

World Premiere release.
    45 minutes of music never-before released.
    8-page CD booklet with French and English liner notes by Nicolas Magenham.

Ref: MBR-106
    Release Date: December 5, 2016 - In Stock!

In collaboration with Yad Music, Music Box Records presents the world premiere release of acclaimed composer Gabriel Yared's original score to the 1984 fantasy/adventure Nemo (Dream One), starring Harvey Keitel, Mathilda May, Nipsey Russell, Carole Bouquet, Charley Boorman and Jason Connery.

Based on Windsor McCay's comic strip, this excitingly dream-like adventure is also inspired by Jules Verne and Lewis Carroll. A young boy who lives in a grey world is transported into a colourful land full of mystical characters and sets off on a quest to rescue a beautiful princess.

Gabriel Yared has provided a dreamlike score which is both melancholic and dramatic, yet simultaneously poignant, touching and sometimes epic. His score very often shifts from an acoustic/symphonic state to a synthetic/electronic state – as it frequently does in the composer’s works over this period. Through the emotional quality of his music, mingled with the unsettling strangeness of some twisted or exotic sounds, Gabriel Yared synthesizes every aspect of his dazzling talent for this fantasy film from the 80’s.

The soundtrack debut of Nemo has been fully mastered from the recording session tapes. The 8-page booklet features an essay by Nicolas Magenham discussing the film and the score based on an original interview with the composer.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Générique (1:32)
    2. Cauchemar de Nemo (2:06)
    3. Monkey et Cunegond (1:46)
    4. Alice se réveille (0:50)
    5. Dream One (1:42)
    6. Le Nautilus (1:20)
    7. Nemo et Mr. Rip (1:08)
    8. Le Naufrage (1:11)
    9. Mr. Legend, le Vengeur Masqué (1:44)
    10. La Plage (1:03)
    11. Le Pays Imaginaire (1:43)
    12. Le Tango (1:27)
    13. Les Explorateurs Boris et Duchka (3:05)
    14. La Maquette de Mr. Rib (1:46)
    15. L'Or de Rals-Akraï (1:36)
    16. Nemo Abandonné (1:26)
    17. La Tente (2:25)
    18. La Fusée (2:19)
    19. Confrontation (1:48)
    20. La Fin du Rêve (5:49)
    21. La Carte de Yonderland (1:08)
    22. Final (1:02)
    23. Générique de Fin (5:04)

Total Time • 45:58

For sound clips and available for order, please visit: http://www.musicbox-records.com/en/4254 … m-one.html
  12. The Varese Sarabande CD Club is releasing one more title this year, on December 12.
  13. New from Digitmovies for the month of December:

"L'Insegnante"
    Piero Umiliani
    (CDDM282)

"The legendary Piero Umiliani wrote a brilliant OST based on an enjoyable main score with a fast march which is introduced in the opening credits (Tr.1). It’s then reprised in different versions such as slow country (Tr.5), danceable sax (Tr.7), and with Franco De Gemini’s harmonica (Tr.8, Tr.11). The folk harmonic version is alternated with other recurring melodies including a Western version (again with Gemini’s harmonica) (Tr.2). There is also dance music such as tango (Tr.6, Tr. 14, Tr. 36) and lounge style music typical of this great Florentine musician (Tr.16, Tr.17, Tr.19, Tr.20, Tr.26, Tr.27). Our CD was assembled using the stereo master tapes from the original recording session."

"2 Samurai per 100 Gheishe"
    Nico Fidenco, Luis Bacalov
    (CDDM283)

"This unprecedented OST was written by Nico Fidenco and Luis Bacalov. In 2010, a 6:46 minute long suite was released by GDM Music in the box set "Nico Fidenco My first fifty years." Previously RCA had released a single, RCA (RCA VICTOR PM 45-3136) containing the songs "The Two Samurai" (“I due samurai”) and "Judo twist." Fidenco and Bacalov wrote a lively main dance score sung by a choir (Tr.1) which is reprised in an alternative version of the single (Tr.14) and changed in Tr.2. Despite the humor in the film, the OST is very orchestral and dramatic as it develops, with a recurring oriental feel (Tr.3, Tr.4). The authors put together a mystical holy melody (Tr.6) which is contrasted with many battle motifs (Tr.5, Tr.9, Tr.11, Tr.12). Franco & Ciccio sing a short piece in a funny Sicilian-Chinese language (Tr.13). The music closes with the "Judo Twist" from the fabulous American style orchestra (Tr.15). We used the mono master tapes from the original recording session which allowed us to publish 40:51 minutes of music."
  14. "Predator 2" is now SOLD OUT at Varese.
  15. I guess it didn't...stick around?
    yes, I'll get my coat, especially since that line's from the first movie shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2016
    Oh, I'm sure there'll be a new issue somewhere down the line.
    It'll be back.
  16. And on that day Thor shall weap. And it will be good.
  17. Posted by an FSM user today:

So some news to make us 80s score junkies happy. I commented on his facebook page that we are loving BHC and I asked if there is any hope for Fletch. His response? ...

"I'll pass it on to LaLa.. The chains seem to be broken! They will work on Top Gun next! "

Nice.
  18. Another new low quantities update from SAE on FSM tiltes:

FEWER THAN 25 COPIES REMAIN
    Elmer Bernstein’s film Music Collection
    Kung Fu / Man In The Wilderness
    Invitation / A Life Of Her Own
    The Stripper / Nick Quarry
    Brothers Karamazov
    Miklos Roszsa Treasury
    I Spy
    On The Beach / The Secret Of Santa Vittoria
    Inside Daisy Clover
    Prince of Foxes
    The Best Of Everything

FEWER THAN 50 COPIES REMAIN

Chips Vol. 1: Season Two
    Random Harvest / The Yearling
    I’ll Cry Tomorrow
    The Fastest Gun Alive / House Of Numbers
    Dr. Kildare
    Zigzag / The Super Cops
    Soylent Green / Demon Seed
    Hotel / Kaleidoscope
    Telefon / Hide In Plain Sight

FEWER THAN 100 COPIES REMAIN

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. Vol. 2
    633 Squadron / Submarine X-1
    Force 10 From Navarone
    The View From Pompey’s Head / Blue Denim
    The Shoes Of The Fisherman
    Toys In The Attic
    Days Of Heaven
    The Dirty Dozen
    Butterfield 8: Bronislau Kaper At MGM Vol. 1
    Untamed
    The Split
    Poltergeist
    North Dallas Forty
    Alice’s Adventures In Wonderland / Petulia
    Room 222 / Ace Eli & Roger Of The Spies
  19. Update from LLLR:

We hope everyone is having a great Holiday Season! 2016 was certainly an interesting year here at the triple L. X-Files and Big Trouble proved that no matter how many times a title is released there is always an audience for it. Trek and Super Heroes reigned supreme, but it took a smart ass teen, a wise-cracking cop, an adventurous boy always on a Quest and 2 dino sized adventures to put us over the top in 2016, making it our best 4th quarter ever!

With New Year's quickly approaching we thought we would give you a heads up on what LLL has brewing for the first of the new year:

On Jan 17, 2017 we have another edition to our long running Expanded Archival Collection:

TWISTER (20th Anniversary Edition)
    Music by Mark Mancina
    LLLCD 1412
    Limited Edition of 3000 units
    Retail Price: $19.98

Produced by Mike Matessino and Dan Goldwasser
    Edited and Mastered by Mike Matessino
    Liner Notes by Tim Greiving
    Art Direction by Dan Goldwasser

La-La Land Records, Warner Music Group, Warner Bros. Pictures and Amblin Entertainment present TWISTER: EXPANDED ARCHIVAL EDITION. This 20th Anniversary Edition (a tad bit late) has been newly remastered and expanded by Producers Mike Matessino and Dan Goldwasser, fixing all errors from the previous release and making it the best possible listening experience this side of a F-1. Liner notes by Tim Greiving feature new interviews with composer Mark Mancina and director Jan De Bont. Dan Goldwasser helps guide you through his cow flyin' art direction!

1. Wheatfield (Film Version)** 1:26
    2. The Hunt Begins** 3:51
    3. The Sky** 1:03
    4. Dorothy IV (Film Version) 1:56
    5. The First Twister* 0:49
    6. In the Ditch / Where’s My Truck? 2:00
    7. Waterspouts** 2:49
    8. Cow 5:42
    9. Walk in the Woods* 2:05
    10. Bob’s Road 2:13
    11. Hail No! 2:43
    12. Futility (Film Version) 2:17
    13. Drive-in Twister** 2:57
    14. Wakita (Film Version)** 5:19
    15. Sculptures (Film Version) 3:06
    16. House Visit 4:47
    17. The Big Suck (Film Version)** 1:47
    18. End Title** 2:20

ADDITIONAL MUSIC
    19. Wheatfield (Alternate) 1:33
    20. Waterspouts (Alternate)** 2:50
    21. The Big Suck (Alternate) 1:13
    22. End Title / Respect the Wind§ 9:21
    TOTAL TIME: 64:07

* previously unreleased
    ** contains previously unreleased material
    § written and performed by Edward and Alex Van Halen

This cd goes on sale Jan 17, 2017 at 12 pm pst on www.lalalandrecords.com

Stay tuned for a special event regarding Mr Mancina!

Happy New Year, y'all!
  20. An update from James Fritzpatrick today:

MOONRAKER not yet dead in the water ... just waiting for final reply one way for t'other from publishers and legal peole..
  21. New from Music Box.

A SUMMER STORY
    Music Composed and Conducted by Georges Delerue

New remastered and expanded edition.
    49 minutes of music, including 10 minutes of music never released before.
    8-page CD booklet with liner notes by Gergely Hubai.

Ref: MBR-108
    Release Date: January 23, 2017

Music Box Records is proud to present the expanded CD edition of Georges Delerue's romantic masterpiece, A Summer Story.

Directed by Piers Haggard (The Blood on Satan's Claw, 1978 TV series Pennies From Heaven), A Summer Story begins in 1904. Frank Ashton, a young man from London twists his angle during a walking trip in Devon. Finding refuge in a nearby farmhouse, Frank is looked after by Megan David, a young girl who is immediately smitten with him. After spending a night together, Frank promises to come back for Megan after taking care of some business. Having missed the train, our hero eventually runs across with an old friend and his sisters, one of whom takes a special interest in Frank... As a tribute to the prestigious Merchant/Ivory pictures, A Summer Story stars James Wilby and Imogen Stubbs as the star-crossed lovers.

While the music by Georges Delerue is thematically rich, like most the composer's scores, the key to appreciating the delicacy and brilliance of A Summer Story is to look at the score as a clash between different sections of orchestra, specifically the strings and the woodwinds. The sections of the orchestra represent different social classes - as the story progresses, the two worlds start to intertwine together in enchanting ways - the most beautiful passages of the developing romance utilize both the strings and the selected woodwinds (flutes in particular). The film is also notable for featuring Delerue's adaptation of an Irish folk song entitled "The Gentle Maiden" - this CD marks the debut release of the cue's film version.

A Summer Story was issued on LP and CD around the time of the film’s release, it included 35 minutes of music organized into 20 tracks. The current release adds about 15 minutes of brand new material organized into 23 tracks. The 8-page booklet by Gergely Hubai discusses the film and the score.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Ashton Arrives (03:23)
    2. We Meet Megan (01:00)
    3. Falling in Love (01:30)
    4. Sheep Shearing / Coming to Town (01:47)
    5. Megan Leaves Forever (01:44)
    6. The Gentle Maiden (Instrumental) (01:46)
    7. Love in the Loft (04:52)
    8. Megan at Work (00:49)
    9. Summer Poem (01:38)
    10. Waiting for Megan** (02:13)
    11. Night Meeting (01:30)
    12. Devon by Night* (00:56)
    13. The Green House* (00:52)
    14. At the Beach / Flashback and Rescue (02:36)
    15. The Locket* (00:49)
    16. Abandoned (04:57)
    17. The Gentle Maiden (Instrumental) (Film Version)* (01:16)
    18. Megan in the Field (01:15)
    19. Farewell to Megan* (03:29)
    20. Missed the Train** (01:50)
    21. Thinking of Ashton** (01:38)
    22. Return to the Hill (03:27)
    23. Ashton's Son (Theme from A Summer Story) (03:26)

* previously unreleased
    ** contains unreleased material

Total Time • 49:41

For sound clips and available for order, please visit: http://www.musicbox-records.com/en/4416 … anded.html
  22. A big sale at SAE (titles in red have already sold out, even though the sale was announced two hours ago):

50% OFF SELECTED BOX SETS WITH THE CODE BOXSET117 AT CHECKOUT! Sale starts today, January 12th through Monday January 16th at Midnight ET!

Most titles have a very limited quantity so get them before they are gone!

Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Ron Jones Project
    Elmer Bernstein's Film Music Collection
    Miklos Rozsa Treasury
    Northwest Passage: Classic Western Scores from M-G-M, Vol 2
    The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T
    David Raksin at M-G-M
    The Americanization of Emily / The Sandpiper / Drums of Africa
    Ennio Morricone: Supergold Edition
    Ennio Morricone, Nino Rota: The Mafia Movies
    Ennio Morricone: 100 Greatest Movie Hits
    Ennio Morricone: Complete Mafia Gangster Movies
    Ennio Morricone: Rare & Unreleased Soundtracks from the 60s & 70s
    Ennio Morricone: The Complete Dollars Trilogy
    Ennio Morricone: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
    Nino Rota: The Godfather Trilogy
    Quentin Tarantino Unchained Music - The Complete Ennio Morricone Scores
    The Dollars Trilogy: Complete Original Scores
    The Film Music of Nino Rota: The Fellini Movies / The Godfather Trilogy
    Danger: Diabolik! / Per Qualche Dollaro in Piu'
    The Movies - 108 Great Screen Hits!
    Antonioni: Suoni Del Silenzio