• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The "Orca" release from Music Box (announced March 6):

ORCA
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
    Music Composed, Orchestrated and Conducted by Ennio Morricone

Remastered Edition.
    8-page CD booklet with liner notes by Daniel Schweiger.
    Limited Edition of 500 units.

Ref: MBR-111
    Release Date: In Stock

Music Box Records is pleased to present on CD the remastered reissue of legendary composer Ennio Morricone’s original score to the 1977 adventure horror film Orca (The Killer Whale), starring Richard Harris, Charlotte Rampling, Robert Carradine and Bo Derek, and directed by Michael Anderson (Around the World in 80 Days, Logan's Run, The Martian Chronicles).

The film tells the story of Captain Nolan, a hunter, who squares off against a killer whale seeking vengeance for the death of its pregnant mate.

One of the most captivating elements of Orca is its beautiful and haunting score. Ennio Morricone navigates around the genre’s musical clichés to give both dissonant fierceness and mournful beauty. He also gives the killer whales a "voice" which in turn lends the film an ethereal and almost dreamlike quality. The talented Edda Dell'Orso, who has contributed amazing vocals to countless Morricone tunes, gives especially haunting power to this score.

This new Music Box Records CD features the same content as the original LP program released on the TAM label in 1977 and also includes as a bonus track the theme song (My Love, We Are One) performed by American singer-songwriter Carol Connors. As the complete recording sesssions could not be located, Music Box Records was only provided access to the original album master tape vaulted at Warner Chappell Music France, except for the theme song mastered from the best vinyl source available. Due to certain imperfections existing on the album master, every effort has been made to minimize them and to improve the sound.

The CD comes with an 8-page booklet with liner notes by Daniel Schweiger, discussing the film and the score, as well as offering a new interview with Carol Connors on her Orca tune. Limited to 500 units.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Opening and Encounter (1:37)
    2. Orca (Main Title) (3:08)
    3. Intermezzo (0:36)
    4. Attack and Mistake (2:58)
    5. Dialogue of Memories (2:14)
    6. A Ball at Home (3:20)
    7. Early Ices (2:15)
    8. Nocturne for a Remorse (1:26)
    9. Arrival at the Pole (4:39)
    10. The Fight, the Victory, the Death (5:22)
    11. Orca Finale (End Titles) (4:00)

BONUS TRACK
    12. My Love, We Are One (2:37)
    Performed by Carol Connors

Total Time • 34:39

For sound clips and available for order, please visit: http://www.musicbox-records.com/en/4627-orca.html

Has been deleted and removed from sale, due to unspecified legal reasons. If you are one of the few who managed to get a copy before it was pulled, you are a lucky person.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. I'm guessing those lucky few are already placing this for 200 dollars for sale somewhere on the net slant
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorlitefoot
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2017
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I'm guessing those lucky few are already placing this for 200 dollars for sale somewhere on the net slant

Fetching silly prices on ebay already.
  3. Various little tidbits from MV (today) about things coming and not coming (with one disappointment for Thor):

La La Land Records:
    What are the chances of a re-release of the Thunderbirds Are Go/Thunderbird 6 cd?

0.0%

Sorry. sad

Filmation stuff can't be found

JW Gilligan's Island material can't be found. This is a tricky project involving 3 licensors and may make it impossible to produce

Sadly, Young Frankenstein can't be found either

On whether any Morricone is coming:
    We may have something coming in early 2018 that was a find

March 18:

La La Land Records:
    1. Any chance that any "Astrid Lindgren" related score might get an official release. My personal favorite is "Ronja Rövardotter" - it's just so absolutely gorgeous: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Veh01-YWBTo

2. Is an official Slipstream release still out of the question?
    I held out on buying it, hoping that the legal issues could get solved, but alas ...

3. What about "Requiem for a Dream" (Clint Mansell) or "Van Helsing" (Alan Silvestri).
    Both are score I'm very much hoping for an expanded / remastered edition ...

4. Which score made you fall in love with soundtracks in the first place?

5. Which (future) score release would be the pinnacle of all your efforts?

smile

1. Sounds nice but never heard of it.
    2. Not touching it. Not worth it
    3. Great scores. Maybe some day
    4. BATMAN 1989
    5. MANIMAL

March 3:

La La Land Records:
    I'm betting I know the answer to this one, but I'll ask anyway. Any chance LLL would do a box-set of Sean Callery's music to 24? I have a feeling Varese has the rights to this, but thought I'd ask anyway. There's so much great music that's not on the CD's that have been released.

We have tried but have not succeeded yet.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. I'd very much welcome any Astrid Lindgren related release. Some of that music, the title melodies mostly, have been released in past years already. Yet any further exploration would meat with my enthusiasm.
    The rights seem to rest with Universal Music and I'm not sure if they would license it to some dedicated label. Any release would probably have to come from Universal itself. I don't see that coming. That kind of film music - It's a niche within a niche. And it's Europe only, if that.
    But yes, there is some fantastic music to be found in those Lindgren adaptations.

smile Volker
    Rüm Hart - Klaar Kiming
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTime6 days ago edited
    Yeah, I don't think we can expect an American label to release Astrid Lindgren soundtracks -- even if she is a big, international name (but she never caught on in the US, I think).

Sorry to hear about GILLIGAN'S ISLAND. It's not the most exciting from a listening perspective (typical sit-com music with brief intros and outros and such), but would have been great for its historical significance.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Low quantities update from La La Land Records:

AS OF 3/23/17:

BATMAN BRAVE AND THE BOLD - 9 COPIES LEFT
    A CERTAIN SMILE - 17 COPIES LEFT
    I THE JURY - 8 COPIES LEFT
    X-MAN WITH X RAY EYES - 10 COPIES LEFT
    SOCOM 4 - 25 COPIES LEFT