• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The "Orca" release from Music Box (announced March 6):

ORCA
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
    Music Composed, Orchestrated and Conducted by Ennio Morricone

Remastered Edition.
    8-page CD booklet with liner notes by Daniel Schweiger.
    Limited Edition of 500 units.

Ref: MBR-111
    Release Date: In Stock

Music Box Records is pleased to present on CD the remastered reissue of legendary composer Ennio Morricone’s original score to the 1977 adventure horror film Orca (The Killer Whale), starring Richard Harris, Charlotte Rampling, Robert Carradine and Bo Derek, and directed by Michael Anderson (Around the World in 80 Days, Logan's Run, The Martian Chronicles).

The film tells the story of Captain Nolan, a hunter, who squares off against a killer whale seeking vengeance for the death of its pregnant mate.

One of the most captivating elements of Orca is its beautiful and haunting score. Ennio Morricone navigates around the genre’s musical clichés to give both dissonant fierceness and mournful beauty. He also gives the killer whales a "voice" which in turn lends the film an ethereal and almost dreamlike quality. The talented Edda Dell'Orso, who has contributed amazing vocals to countless Morricone tunes, gives especially haunting power to this score.

This new Music Box Records CD features the same content as the original LP program released on the TAM label in 1977 and also includes as a bonus track the theme song (My Love, We Are One) performed by American singer-songwriter Carol Connors. As the complete recording sesssions could not be located, Music Box Records was only provided access to the original album master tape vaulted at Warner Chappell Music France, except for the theme song mastered from the best vinyl source available. Due to certain imperfections existing on the album master, every effort has been made to minimize them and to improve the sound.

The CD comes with an 8-page booklet with liner notes by Daniel Schweiger, discussing the film and the score, as well as offering a new interview with Carol Connors on her Orca tune. Limited to 500 units.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Opening and Encounter (1:37)
    2. Orca (Main Title) (3:08)
    3. Intermezzo (0:36)
    4. Attack and Mistake (2:58)
    5. Dialogue of Memories (2:14)
    6. A Ball at Home (3:20)
    7. Early Ices (2:15)
    8. Nocturne for a Remorse (1:26)
    9. Arrival at the Pole (4:39)
    10. The Fight, the Victory, the Death (5:22)
    11. Orca Finale (End Titles) (4:00)

BONUS TRACK
    12. My Love, We Are One (2:37)
    Performed by Carol Connors

Total Time • 34:39

For sound clips and available for order, please visit: http://www.musicbox-records.com/en/4627-orca.html

Has been deleted and removed from sale, due to unspecified legal reasons. If you are one of the few who managed to get a copy before it was pulled, you are a lucky person.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. I'm guessing those lucky few are already placing this for 200 dollars for sale somewhere on the net slant
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorlitefoot
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2017
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I'm guessing those lucky few are already placing this for 200 dollars for sale somewhere on the net slant

Fetching silly prices on ebay already.
  3. Various little tidbits from MV (today) about things coming and not coming (with one disappointment for Thor):

La La Land Records:
    What are the chances of a re-release of the Thunderbirds Are Go/Thunderbird 6 cd?

0.0%

Sorry. sad

Filmation stuff can't be found

JW Gilligan's Island material can't be found. This is a tricky project involving 3 licensors and may make it impossible to produce

Sadly, Young Frankenstein can't be found either

On whether any Morricone is coming:
    We may have something coming in early 2018 that was a find

March 18:

La La Land Records:
    1. Any chance that any "Astrid Lindgren" related score might get an official release. My personal favorite is "Ronja Rövardotter" - it's just so absolutely gorgeous: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Veh01-YWBTo

2. Is an official Slipstream release still out of the question?
    I held out on buying it, hoping that the legal issues could get solved, but alas ...

3. What about "Requiem for a Dream" (Clint Mansell) or "Van Helsing" (Alan Silvestri).
    Both are score I'm very much hoping for an expanded / remastered edition ...

4. Which score made you fall in love with soundtracks in the first place?

5. Which (future) score release would be the pinnacle of all your efforts?

smile

1. Sounds nice but never heard of it.
    2. Not touching it. Not worth it
    3. Great scores. Maybe some day
    4. BATMAN 1989
    5. MANIMAL

March 3:

La La Land Records:
    I'm betting I know the answer to this one, but I'll ask anyway. Any chance LLL would do a box-set of Sean Callery's music to 24? I have a feeling Varese has the rights to this, but thought I'd ask anyway. There's so much great music that's not on the CD's that have been released.

We have tried but have not succeeded yet.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. I'd very much welcome any Astrid Lindgren related release. Some of that music, the title melodies mostly, have been released in past years already. Yet any further exploration would meat with my enthusiasm.
    The rights seem to rest with Universal Music and I'm not sure if they would license it to some dedicated label. Any release would probably have to come from Universal itself. I don't see that coming. That kind of film music - It's a niche within a niche. And it's Europe only, if that.
    But yes, there is some fantastic music to be found in those Lindgren adaptations.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2017 edited
    Yeah, I don't think we can expect an American label to release Astrid Lindgren soundtracks -- even if she is a big, international name (but she never caught on in the US, I think).

Sorry to hear about GILLIGAN'S ISLAND. It's not the most exciting from a listening perspective (typical sit-com music with brief intros and outros and such), but would have been great for its historical significance.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Low quantities update from La La Land Records:

AS OF 3/23/17:

BATMAN BRAVE AND THE BOLD - 9 COPIES LEFT
    A CERTAIN SMILE - 17 COPIES LEFT
    I THE JURY - 8 COPIES LEFT
    X-MAN WITH X RAY EYES - 10 COPIES LEFT
    SOCOM 4 - 25 COPIES LEFT
  6. I don't buy many CDs from the US speciality labels these days any more. For various reasons they have become exorbitant expensive. I pondered obtaining the album recording of "The Black Cauldron" (Varese Encore) by Elmer Bernstein, but € 30 for a bit over 30 minutes of music! No, Sir, I'm sorry.

Volker
  7. 125 or fewer copies remain of "The Car" (Rosenman)

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9503/.f
  8. Captain Future wrote
    I don't buy many CDs from the US speciality labels these days any more. For various reasons they have become exorbitant expensive. I pondered obtaining the album recording of "The Black Cauldron" (Varese Encore) by Elmer Bernstein, but € 30 for a bit over 30 minutes of music! No, Sir, I'm sorry.

Volker

Concerning the steep shipping costs, I'm glad my buying scores on a regular basis is over, since pretty much all my must-haves have seen the light of day.

But there are still a few I want now and then. The way I do it is to order a couple of cd's at the same time. Do that at Screen Archives, Intrada and Lalaland, but for the love of god don't do that at Varese, as you'll surely pay customs taxes. The other ones are the intelligent retailers as they put like 10 $ for 5 cd's or something on the slip.

I've ordered 4 releases over at SAE recently and it comes to 20 dollars of shipping (the standard way, not the new registered way since that also leads to paying extra taxes). And I've never had a lost package in 15+ years.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. PlantSounds is awaiting final approval for Ron Goodwin's VALHALLA. Jay! smile

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2017
    Now THAT is good news! smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorlitefoot
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2017
    DreamTheater wroteBut there are still a few I want now and then. The way I do it is to order a couple of cd's at the same time. Do that at Screen Archives, Intrada and Lalaland, but for the love of god don't do that at Varese, as you'll surely pay customs taxes. The other ones are the intelligent retailers as they put like 10 $ for 5 cd's or something on the slip.

I've ordered 4 releases over at SAE recently and it comes to 20 dollars of shipping (the standard way, not the new registered way since that also leads to paying extra taxes). And I've never had a lost package in 15+ years.

Even ordering a couple of CDs at the same time is too expensive for me, being in the UK. The collapse of the pound + USPS shipping costs has been disastrous for my soundtrack purchases. I've just stopped buying internationally. I was in the US for a few days last month and used the opportunity to order some CDs direct to my hotel. HUGE savings. That's the only way I'd do it now.

It's a shame La La Land and Intrada don't come over to Europe for a Con or two. Soundtrack fans would surely descend on them in droves.
  10. Such a shame. sad

How is ordering at Chris' Soundtrack Corner? It's a German import store. Are the prices still reasonable for UK residents?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The main reason I stopped buying the speciality label releases is that they're no longer releasing things I want to have (with some occasional exceptions, usually on La La these days) but they really are prohibitively expensive now. I haven't bought from SAE since they introduced their "we won't replace lost CDs" policy (if I pay for something and don't receive it, it's the vendor's responsibility to put that right, and I won't buy anything from any vendor who disagrees with that) but even Intrada now is so expensive. I really wish they would release these things digitally (when they do release things I want). I'd be willing to pay more than digital releases usually are, especially given it would be the end of exorbitant shipping costs.
  11. I can safely say that buying at SAE has never once resulted in a lost package. I've been buying with them since the start of the century, multiple times a year, and never had to claim a package got lost to Belgium. There were some delays, sure but they've always turned up, with everything inside undamaged.

I have nothing but top-notch experience with them.

You still have the possibility to ship without the registered option, much cheaper this way (also without that sickening income tax value added on top).
  12. DreamTheater wrote
    Such a shame. sad

How is ordering at Chris' Soundtrack Corner? It's a German import store. Are the prices still reasonable for UK residents?

Yeah, Chris has been my regular drug dealer for years. (Tarantula Records before that.) But he too had to raise the price tags. I think he is living mostly of Italian score releases nowadays. There seems to be a solid fan base for that kind of stuff.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2017 edited
    As with others, I've stopped buying from both US and European specialty vendors (and even mainstream vendors) due to the shipping costs. I really want to buy STANLEY & IRIS/PETE'N'TILLIE, but even if I am a JW completist (and need it for the P'n'T portion), I just can't justify $35 for a single CD with my economy.

If I'm buying CDs these days, I go for the secondhand market or sites that offer free shipping. But of course, these sites rarely have the specialty albums.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. I can order it for you Thor, but don't know when that will be, as I've just received my latest order a week ago. And I tend to wait before I have enough CD's (and they're practically never new scores).

My need for actually holding these grails (holy or not) is greater than the hole it will be in my wallet. smile

Even if I don't get to see you, I know Thomas will if you come over to Gent (not Ghent <-- crazy ). wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks, Gilles, appreciate it. Just for this one, I have a sort of plan worked out (may get some US friends to help). But I'll be glad to take you up on the offer if it should be relevant for another title! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  14. No worries you can always contact me if you need something ordered.
  15. DreamTheater wrote

I ordered from Chris' Soundtrack Corner a few weeks back specifically to avoid the high shipping costs from my usual US-based stores but I found it a very frustrating experience.

Frustrating in the sense that, having been buying a lot of digital releases over the years, I have gotten used to the purchase-and-have-immediately mentality. But there was also the frustration of buying something listed on the catalogue, thinking that items were shipped and on the way and then hearing 10 days after I'd ordered that one of the items was OOP and that I had to choose a replacement.

If you don't have an item in stock then mark it that way in your catalogue. Don't advertise it and then find out you can't get it when you go to try and get it from somewhere else because someone has bought it through your catalogue. He does say that he has 90% of his catalogue to hand but that didn't make my order come any quicker.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2017
    Chris' Soundtrack Corner, guys? Really?

That page has been mentioned to me several times over the years, but I find the prices there very steep. And that's even BEFORE shipping.

But I guess on some level I understand that for some people (with normal incomes), the prices are less important than the provided service (same with SAE).
    I am extremely serious.
  16. I've only ordered there a few times, mostly when they do free shipping (holiday season in December). Have always been happy with their handling

The prices are steep because the scores are imported from the same retailers from the U.S. They have to charge more to stay afloat. I'd rather not them go under.

It would be ideal for Lalaland, Varese, Intrada to go digital, but then I would definitely miss out on the packaging, which for me is just as important as the music itself. I just love reading the notes if I have the time, actually holding it in my hands and flipping the pages. Having it as a PDF and reading it on a screen doesn't feel right somehow.
    • CommentAuthorlitefoot
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2017 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Such a shame. sad

I have used them, but only when they offer free global shipping, which they did for the whole of December. That undercuts the cost of ordering from the US. When he runs it next, I will most likely put an order through.

On another topic, I'm becoming a bit worried about the future of this industry of late. I'd swear the proportion of reissues/small expansions is increasing. Three of LLL's six releases this year have been reissues. MV says they sell better than premieres. There's also Intrada halving the number of annual titles. Prior to that they'd been producing about 50 soundtracks a year. Now it's about 25 a year. That makes each of the 25 slots potential gold for soundtrack collectors because you hope that they're all going to be great titles. So you can imagine my slight disappointment at seeing a 10 minute expansion of From Beyond.

At least Kritzerland keeps releasing CD premieres (the last two of which have sold out). They might not be titles that interest me but at least they are premieres.

Thor, I don't know if you're interested, but I found this seller in Norway selling some US sealed soundtracks. Not many, but you might fancy one or two titles.

http://www.aliendator.com/original.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    How do you know he's located in Norway? But I agree, from the list, I think this might be the FSM member Per. Not sure if that list is all updated, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorlitefoot
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2017 edited
    Thor wrote
    How do you know he's located in Norway? But I agree, from the list, I think this might be the FSM member Per. Not sure if that list is all updated, though.

I've exchanged emails with him. It's Per M. Dahl.

When I saw it, it did have some great titles on there, but it was out of date and he's updated the list since Sunday, so what you see now is accurate.

Unfortunately the titles I was interested in were the ones that were already sold, alas, so I never did a deal with him. Knowing your frustrations with US shipping costs however, I figured you might be interested in some of the remaining titles.

I didn't realise he was on FSM.
  17. litefoot wrote

On another topic, I'm becoming a bit worried about the future of this industry of late. I'd swear the proportion of reissues/small expansions is increasing. Three of LLL's six releases this year have been reissues. MV says they sell better than premieres. There's also Intrada halving the number of annual titles. Prior to that they'd been producing about 50 soundtracks a year. Now it's about 25 a year. That makes each of the 25 slots potential gold for soundtrack collectors because you hope that they're all going to be great titles. So you can imagine my slight disappointment at seeing a 10 minute expansion of From Beyond.

At least Kritzerland keeps releasing CD premieres (the last two of which have sold out). They might not be titles that interest me but at least they are premieres.

La La Land and Intrada have both stated occasionally, that the collector marked is practically dead. I believe the reason is, most collectors are from the Star Wars generation. They have grown up with LPs and hence value physical releases. They mostly collect 70s through 90s and some Golden Age classics. Most of what's popular / in demand / relevant from that decades has already been released. Some titles numerous times.
    Younger collectors are digital natives and won't buy CDs at all.

Volker
  18. I keep saying I have seen all my most-wanted scores released in one form or another, but I still keep buying some that weren't on my radar at all, like for instance Under Siege 2 and Cliffhanger (I missed the first expansion), which I assume isn't too great as an expansion but I had to have as its from the same composer of some of my beloved 90s scores, and it has a stellar theme that is to die for.

So I'm saying that I'll probably keep buying new expansions or reissues, because my craving for music from that point in time is greater than buying scores of recent years.

So with me they still have an interested client, one that prefers old-school physical releases. I quite simply refuse to go with the times haha... biggrin
    • CommentAuthorlitefoot
    There's a ton of unreleased stuff out there but I suspect they don't believe it would sell in sufficient quantities, or they're not interested.

One example would be the huge swathe of animated Marvel cartoons from the 80s. They're owned by Disney now, so Intrada would theoretically have access, but they've not released any animated television at all.

Ironically it's the kind of thing La La Land would go for but only Intrada have access to the Disney vaults.