• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. "Rio Bravo" from Intrada sold out (without any advance notice I saw).

Just letting you guys know so you can go hunt one down before prices go up on copies.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. New from Music Box Records:

REVENGE (2018)
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
    Music Composed by ROB

World Premiere CD Release. Expanded edition.
    64 minutes of music, including 3 previously unreleased tracks.
    CD booklet with French director Coralie Fargeat's statement.

Ref: MBR-134
    Release Date: February 12, 2018

In collaboration with Hippocampus, M.E.S. Productions and Monkey Pack Films, Music Box Records presents the premiere CD release of the score to the 2017 French rape and revenge horror film Revenge composed and performed by Rob (Maniac, Seuls, Made in France).

Three wealthy, middle-aged CEOs, all married family men, get together for their annual hunting game in a desert canyon. But this time, one of them has come along with his young mistress, a highly sexy lolita who quickly arouses the interest of the two others, but things get out of hand. Left for dead in the middle of desert hell, the young woman comes back to life and the hunting game turns into a ruthless manhunt...

For this revenge movie, somewhere between Kill Bill and Delivrance, Rob composed a very edgy and dark electronic musical score.

For this premiere release of Rob’s Revenge score on CD, Music Box Records has added three bonus tracks which do not appear on digital or vinyl releases.

Revenge, directed by French newcomer Coralie Fargeat, comes to French theaters in February 7, 2018.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Revenge (6:03)
    2. Peyotl (1:17)
    3. Apple Bikini (0:47)
    4. Rape Part 1 (3:12)
    5. Rape Part 2 (1:26)
    6. Rape Part 3 (0:47)
    7. Tree of Death (2:10)
    8. Jen in the River (1:23)
    9. Revenge Pad (8:05)
    10. In the Eye (1:21)
    11. Cave (3:31)
    12. Eagle Hero (1:15)
    13. Duel (2:19)
    14. Woman Hero (2:24)
    15. Venom (1:33)
    16. Naked Man (1:51)
    17. Casbah Part 1 (2:30)
    18. Casbah Part 2 (3:16)
    19. Eagle Soul (3:49)
    20. Revenge Slowpads (6:01)

BONUS TRACKS:
    21. Venom Long (Early Demo) (2:39)
    22. Trash Slow (Take 4) (2:13)
    23. Venom Fast (Early Demo) (3:57)

Total Time • 64:04

For sound clips and available for order, please visit: https://www.musicbox-records.com/en/5742-revenge.html

FRANCIS LAI AT UNIVERSAL PICTURES:
    HOUSE OF CARDS (1968) / 3 INTO 2 WON’T GO (1969) / BERLIN AFFAIR (1970)
    Three Original Motion Picture Soundtracks
    Music Composed and by Francis lai
    Arranged and Conducted by Christian Gaubert

World Premiere 2-CD Release.
    115 minutes of unreleased music.
    12-page CD booklet with liner notes by Gergely Hubai.
    Limited edition of 750 units.

Ref: MBR-124
    Release Date: February 12, 2018

The first 70 copies purchased directly from our online store will be autographed by the composer, Francis Lai (offer limited to 1 autographed copy by customer). Autographs are available while supplies last and are not guaranteed.

In collaboration with Universal Pictures, Music Box Records announces the 2-disc collection Francis Lai at Universal Pictures which featured three previously unreleased scores by the composer. The three scores are arranged and conducted by the talented Christian Gaubert.

Three Into Two Won’t Go is a 1969 drama in which Rod Steiger plays travelling salesman Steve Howard who hooks up a free-spirited hitchhiker. While leading a double life seems fun at first, the girl turns up at Steve's home and moves into the place. Even though it’s a pop score at heart, Francis Lai captured the central conflict of the film with a relatively simple musical solution - creating two different musical worlds to represent Steven’s relationship with his lover and her wife. Two great love themes and a handful of fun source cues cover the entire score of this title.

House of Cards (1968) marks the earliest collaboration of Francis Lai and Universal represented on this disc - the John Guillermin-helmed spy adventure stars George Peppard as a world-weary boxer who hooks up with a wealthy window as he becomes a tutor to her son. The appearance of a Neo-Fascist group disrupts the idyllic life and is followed-by a cross country manhunt culminating in a showdown at the Coliseum. The typical Bond-inspired potboiler gets an engaging and energetic spy jazz score with Lai providing a great theme song as well as memorable action cues.

The second disc is dedicated to Berlin Affair, a 1970 TV movie about a bounty hunter who is tasked with hunting down a former associate. Believing his friend is innocent, Pete Killian (played by Darren McGavin) tries to help his pal until it is revealed that there is indeed malicious intent in the background. Throw in a beautiful girl entangled in the extortion business, the 90-minute television film offers more than 50 minutes of top drawer spy jazz scoring, including a thunderous main theme and a sweet love theme that recalls "Diamonds Are Forever" (though this was written earlier).

The three scores on the album have never been released before and have been fully mastered from complete scoring session elements, stored in Universal vaults. The 12-page booklet features rare photos as well as an essay by Gergely Hubai discussing the composer, his work with Universal as well as each film and score. Limited edition of 750 units.

TRACK LISTING:

DISC 1:

3 INTO 2 WON'T GO (1969)
    1.Three into Two Won't Go (Main Titles) (3:35)
    2. Eyes (1:22)
    3. Leaving (1:21)
    4. You Married Young (3:42)
    5. Ready (1:59)
    6. Cinema (1:00)
    7. Steve's Return / In the Garden (4:29)
    8. Adoption / Five Pound Note (1:33)
    9. First Time Home (1:24)
    10. Alone (3:59)
    11. Dinner (1:04)
    12. Arrival / Afterwards (2:10)
    13. End Titles (0:49)

HOUSE OF CARDS (1968)
    14. House of Cards (Emblem and Prologue) (2:15)
    15. Château de Cartes (2:13)
    16. Scene on the Seine / Danger and Death (4:29)
    17. The Villa (2:07)
    18. The Arsenal / Over the Roof (1:57)
    19. The Human Concert (1:45)
    20. Ballroom Source (2:42)
    21. Reno Arrives (1:25)
    22. Château de Cartes (Instrumental) (2:16)
    23. Restricted / Fruitful Flight (1:55)
    24. Trip to Rome (1:17)
    25. Forced Finale (3:11)
    26. Flame Game (1:42)
    27. Meeting Day (2:17)
    28. Château de Cartes (Alternate) (1:53)
    29. Château de Cartes (End Credits) (2:16)

Disc 1 Time • 65:22

DISC 2:

BERLIN AFFAIR (1970)
    1. Berlin Affair (Main Titles) (3:20)
    2. Steinplatz (3:36)
    3. Paul and Pete / Information Center (0:38)
    4. Pete Left for Dead / Klaus (3:45)
    5. Blonde (2:06)
    6. Wendi and Pete / Wendi Meets Paul (3:55)
    7. Jet Flight (0:54)
    8. Berlin / Albert and Camera (0:47)
    9. Phone Call (3:22)
    10. Everything / To Catch a Friend (0:45)
    11. Pursuing Pete (3:15)
    12. Pete in Gallery (2:08)
    13. Wendi (1:22)
    14. Galt Handcuffed (2:40)
    15. Wendi Takes Money (2:02)
    16. Languin (0:25)
    17. Pete Loves Wendi (2:53)
    18. Antique Store / Taped Wristwatch (1:01)
    19. Showdown (1:23)
    20. Wendi's Death (3:13)
    21. Joe Taunts Pete (1:06)
    22. Bugged Telephone / Berlin Affair (End Titles) (1:01)
    23. Berlin Affair (Main Titles) (Alternate) (3:35)

Disc 2 Time • 50:07

Total 2-CD Time • 115:29

For sound clips and available for order, please visit: https://www.musicbox-records.com/en/574 … tures.html
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. DISCONTINUATION ALERT

You have until February 27 to get the following from Intrada (the remaining copies may sell out before then):

4. Coming from Intrada this year, as posted by Roger:

Feb 20th Release

Actually there won't be one, as some folks in this part are taking a brief respite before the onslaught of the rest of the year. Coming later this year, more of your favorites: Goldsmith, Horner, Conti, more Horner, Silvestri, more Goldsmith, Moross, Rubinstein, and of course Broughton. Maybe even some Delerue

Asked about John Barry...
    It wasn't meant to be a comprehensive list...but that was a big omission on my part. Yes Barry too.
    • CommentAuthorlitefoot
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2018
    Quartet's Oscar-related four releases:

Silence of the Lambs (Howard Shore)
    Platoon (Georges Delerue)
    Love Story (Francis Lai)
    Amarcord (Nino Rota)
  5. Copy and pasted from an FSM post:

From Varese Sarabande on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/varesesaraband … 87/?type=3

WE HEAR YOU SERIES #8
    21 Jump Street
    Music by Peter Bernstein
    Coming Friday February 23

Coming next Friday is 2 CD's worth of music from the late 80's early 90's TV series 21 Jump Street, which starred Johnny Depp, Holly Robinson Peete and Steven Williams as Captain Fuller. Also included is the classic theme song!

Join us Friday February 23rd at 10AM PST for audio samples, track listing and to order! www.varesesarabande.com
  6. A big sale at Kronos Records:

http://kronosrecords.com/clearancesale.html#
  7. The Francis Lai at Universal Pictures set quantity update today:

Less than 70 copies remaining!
  8. .
  9. In regards to Volume 4 of "the X-Files" and other hints; posted today at the FSM forum by MV:

Vol[.] IV will either be out Fall [of] 2018 or 1st qtr[.] [of] 2019.

We have tons of projects in the works...lots of stuff with Fox, Univer[s]al, Sony, Paramount and, of course, WB. I'm sure we will have a log jam at year's end like we usually do.

In other words, fasten your seat belts I'm sure it's gonna be another bumpy year!

MV
  10. Comments from MV today in response to questions at the FSM forum. What a generous guy considering what happened to him just a month ago. Lots of reading ahead:

Yes, reissues are MUCH easier and in most cases like printing money. Only a few have failed (like Millennium Vol 1).

You never know the market. Sometimes you think 3000 is not enough and then you only sell 1200 units. Sometimes you do 3000 and they are gone quickly. There are certain titles fans will buy now and 10 years from now because they have a deep fanbase:

ALIEN
    PREDATOR
    STAR TREK
    X FILES
    BACK TO THE FUTURE
    KRULL
    BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA
    etc....

People can have issues all they want about reissues, but the fact of the matter is a lot of those reissues sell better than titles that have never come out. I'm sure another reissue of Blue Max will sell better than a first time release by Kaper, Revell or Shire.

And for me personally sometimes I reissue something simply because I feel it should be out there again. Now that I lost everything in a fire I have been going back and seeing a number of titles I want to purchase again but have to rethink it because the secondary market prices are just too damn high! I even joked with Roger that if Intrada wasn't gonna reissue, let's say Explorers, I would because I don't wanna pay $100 for it! I'd rather drop several thousand and make some money off it! Sometimes it's cool to turn one's hobby into one's income. wink

MV

In regards to the scoring from the old cartoon "Super Friends":
    smile

Dream project I hope to make happen some day. Elements are spotty at best.

When asked about his quote from a while back:
    We may have something coming in early 2018 that was a find

MV replied on an ETA on the mystery title:
    2018, but not early

On "Thunderbirds" (Zimfer)
    Perhaps some day. Depenfs on Mr Zimmer

In regards to the scoring from the TV series "The Streets of San Fransico" (Patrick Williams, others)
    You never know! smile

In regards to the score to "Her" (Arcade Fire)
    Sadly no. We looked it into when the film came and were told it would be unlikely

When "Broken Arrow will be back in stock:
    Probably later in March. Last 500 or so

On unreleased pre-1975 Williams scores:
    Always an interest. Tapes sometimes lost. Mr Williams has final say on these matters

MV

On two cartoon series:
    Trying to make She Ra happen at some point. Lots of cool possibilities have opened up recently.

As for Transformers, we have no rights to the series. Would love to do the cd. Maybe some day

MV

On the "X-Men" animated series:
    Disney sadly

sad

Same with the Spiderman animated series'

MV

On Kamen and J.N.H. future releases:
    Possibly. Definitely titles in the pipeline

MV

On Arnold's score for the TV series "The Visitor":
    Me too!

On another "Batman: The Animated Series":
    Possible in the future -- yes

For Wondercon - No

MV

On a release of "Face/Off":
    Would love to do Face/Off but that falls into Hollywood Records/Disney category and frankly they have no interest in working with us. We have tried endlessly to make something happen, but sadly the mouse house has passed on any opportunity. Ironically we are just up the street from them! lol

And on certain recent releases:
    As for BF 2017 -- Titanic and DAD came together fairly quickly after a few years of asking. Some times it takes doing other projects to make the bigger ones happen. Plus, we lucked out in the timing. No Bond was currently in the making and Mr Cameron was so entrenched in the Avatar sequels we pretty much had carte blanche to proceed with Titanic as long as Mr Horner's estate gave the project full blessing (thanks to his epic score to Braveheart!)

CEOT3K has been on our production slate for several years. It just so happened that last year was the 40th anniversary and Sony was hot to trot to mark the occasion. We have noticed "anniversaries" tend to get things moving along. Also, it didn't hurt to have a few Spielberg/Williams titles under our belt to make this go through.

Apoc Now started as a project with Percepto many moons ago (or Taylor's other company he was gonna start) and ended up in our lap in 2017. It was a very cool project to work on and we are honored to have done so. It also got us in with Zoetrope and that ain't a bad place to be. smile

Dr Dolittle had been a passion project for Mike Matesssino for many years now and when the 50th anniversary came to be it seemed like the ideal time to release it.

BF 2018 will be quite something. We "plan" on several amazing projects to be released. If things to get pushed off or delayed during the course of the year they may end up in that slot. CEOT3K was originally slated for Sept, so you never know!

MV

And on Befruary 26 in regards to the scoring from "Kung Fu" (Jim Helms)
    Pwrhapd some day
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2018
    justin boggan wrote
    And on Befruary 26 in regards to the scoring from "Kung Fu" (Jim Helms)
    Pwrhapd some day

I hate Befruary. Pwraphd the worst month of the year.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Yes, it's right next to Smarch -- which has lousy weather. wink
  12. Not coming any time soon -- the original or a re-recording; posted today at FSM by James Fritzpatrick:

I would love to do JESUS IF NAZARETH....but

I have been asking ITC for years now to double check if any of the music tapes from Anvil Denham might be in storage....but they seem to have been lost !

And also for years now I have been asking Maurice's widow Fong, via orchestrator Pat Russ, for copies of Maurice's scores and/or sketches from Jesus...which I do know are in in storage....but not luck there...yet !! I could have done a new recording years ago if these had been forthcoming....
  13. Knowing the suite they have recorded (and owning the original recording) I would buy JESUS OF NAZARETH instantly. Jarre meets Rozsa. Oh, yeah!

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  14. Not coming anytime soon...

Posted today at the Intrada forums by Roger:

Just so you know, Williams isn't particularly interested in having Rare Breed or Story of a Woman released.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2018
    justin boggan wrote
    Not coming anytime soon...

Posted today at the Intrada forums by Roger:

Just so you know, Williams isn't particularly interested in having Rare Breed or Story of a Woman released.

I keep seeing these comments from Roger and others, but no one ever mentions any source. I only believe this if and when I hear it from Williams himself.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. If think if those comments come from either Intrada or La La Land it is safe to assume the source is the maestro himself. Why should the people there, who so often have worked closely with Williams, distribute fake news?

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    If think if those comments come from either Intrada or La La Land it is safe to assume the source is the maestro himself. Why should the people there, who so often have worked closely with Williams, distribute fake news?

Volker

No reason, but a source is always important regardless.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Not as important as a sauce. Especially if it’s HP.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I asked Roger for a source at Intrada, but doubt I'll get a response.
    I am extremely serious.
  16. An update on the March titles from LLLR:

UPDATE ON THE "?" RELEASE WE HAD PLANNED FOR MARCH 27:
    Looks like none of the 3 possible releases we had hoped for will be ready in time, so the only new thing we will have on the website that day are the signed copies of Cloverfield Paradox courtesy of Sparks and Shadows.
    April, on the other hand, might be a pretty crowded and expensive month!

Technically speaking, there was only one title listed as question mark, and only one title on the poster art from the label for that month. The other two titles were autographed copies from other labels.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2018 edited
    Thor wrote
    I asked Roger for a source at Intrada, but doubt I'll get a response.

As expected, Roger refuses to name a source for the statement. I have no reason to believe he's lying, but untill I get a source, I see no reason to rule it out. There may be any number of intervening factors that don't give us the full picture.
    I am extremely serious.
  17. Posted mere minutes ago:

In celebration of John William's Masterpiece THE FURY turning 40 years old La-La Land Records is having a "Flash Sale" on this magnificent score! For the next 48 hours you can pick it up for $20! Offer expires Wednesday, March 14, 2018.

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Site/FuryThe.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2018
    It is a magnificent score! (But if it's $20 in the sale... how much is it normally!?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    It is a magnificent score! (But if it's $20 in the sale... how much is it normally!?)

Yeah, the same thing occured to me.

But yes -- if you don't have it already, go for it. Especially since it also contains the vastly superior OST on disc 2.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

Yeah, the same thing occured to me.

But yes -- if you don't have it already, go for it. Especially since it also contains the vastly superior OST on disc 2.

Disc 2 is the only one you need.
  18. Well, I did the incredibly simple thing of visiting the page to see if the original price was on it, and indeed it was (crossed out).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah. $10 off.
    I am extremely serious.
  19. Not coming anytime soon:

Posted today at the Intrada forums by Roger in regards to the possibility of a re-issue of "Flowers in the Attic":

No. We discussed that and his largely unreleased score to TORMENT with the licensor but they wanted SO much money it just wasn't practical.