• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor, it's Nolan. He never made anything lightweight. He is supervising the project.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010
    WATCHMEN was a very good film IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor, it's Nolan. He never made anything lightweight. He is supervising the project.

True. I love Nolan.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor, it's Nolan. He never made anything lightweight. He is supervising the project.

True. I love Nolan.

Which one?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

True. I love Nolan.

Which one?

Video not available in my country.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Underwhelming as his Batman scores? Well, he re-invented the genre with those scores and whilst i know it's not a popular opinion, i'd take a Zimmer re-vision on Superman a thousand times over the generic yawn-inducing crap that John Ottman put out whose only highlight was the fantastic re-recording of the John Willams' theme.

I disagree completely with you man. Ottman wrote a fine hommage score. It's symphonic, grand and sweeping. I don't need anything more than that for Superman.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    It's coming to a point where I just don't care anymore. At least I have Donner's classic film and Williams' masterful score to fall back on. No one can take that away from me. And there is no way Snyder and Zimmer can capture the magic of the original film the way THIS does!

-Erik-

^
    FACT!

DOUBLE FACT.

Just a bit of side-info, but me and my brother watched Superman again a few weeks ago, but for the first time on my wonderful Onkyo 5.1 setup since I've installed it. Man when that logo appeared and the music exploded, and the text began to swoosh over our heads, while Williams theme engulfed the room I had goosebumps like you wouldn't believe. punk punk The sonic power of those opening titles + music puts everything else to shame.

SERIOUSLY !!!!!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Hmm I should rewatch the movie I guess. I haven't seen it for like 15 years at least!
  5. MMMMMYEAAAAHHHHH BABY. Fifteen years is way too long for a classic.
  6. And interestingly (something as much of a "turn-on" for a movie as the Williams score to me!) I don't remember Gene Hackman *at all*
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    I doesn't have to be dark. But there are any number of ways to approach the source material that is different from previous versions. I'm excited to see what they can come up with, even though I hated WATCHMEN as a film.
    you and me buddy
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Underwhelming as his Batman scores? Well, he re-invented the genre with those scores and whilst i know it's not a popular opinion, i'd take a Zimmer re-vision on Superman a thousand times over the generic yawn-inducing crap that John Ottman put out whose only highlight was the fantastic re-recording of the John Willams' theme.

I disagree completely with you man. Ottman wrote a fine hommage score. It's symphonic, grand and sweeping. I don't need anything more than that for Superman.
    it is your opinion. But a rather unpopular one i think. wink i thought it was random filler material. Next to the grandness of william's theme it sounded ridiculously draft and unthematic especially for such a movie. plus it is the first time i hear anyone attributing such glowing epithets to anything ottman ever wrote
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hans Zimmer confirmed to score Superman and new Pirates movie

According to Thompson on Hollywood, Hans Zimmer revealed in a recent interview on Tuesday’s Inception DVD and Blu-Ray release party that he is going to score the upcoming Zack Snyder-directed adaptation of Superman.

(we knew that today)

But more news now:
    Hans Zimmer is also set to start scoring the fourth part in the Pirates of the Caribbean series in January of next year. In Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Jack Sparrow and Barbossa embark on a quest to find the elusive fountain of youth, only to discover that Blackbeard and his daughter are after it too.

More info:
    http://filmmusicreporter.wordpress.com/ … tes-movie/
  7. I knew about Pirates since May biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    smile It was pretty expected though, just that the official confirmation came now. Looking forward to this.
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote
    I doesn't have to be dark. But there are any number of ways to approach the source material that is different from previous versions. I'm excited to see what they can come up with, even though I hated WATCHMEN as a film.
    you and me buddy

I didn't know what to make of Watchmen after my first viewing. After my third viewing I loved it (though I then saw the slightly longer and better structured DC). There are some elements of Watchmen that took me a couple of times to completely absorb because I have no knowledge of the comics whatsoever.

Besides I think the audiovisual quality of this film is just superb on blu-ray. That also counts for a lot where I'm concerned!
  9. Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

True. I love Nolan.

Which one?

Video not available in my country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrCuZd9hed0&

Any better? Though "better" might not be the best choice of words.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2010
    DreamTheater wrote

Uh huh... however Ottman actually thought that Superman indeed "needed more" by including a choir during the heroic airplane rescue! LAME!

Ottman's score is pretty weak however his Luthor theme is superb! But his variation on Williams classic love theme is pants and his own attempt at writing a new more modern love theme isn't a theme at all. It's like 5-6-7 random notes that don't even make up any sort of melody. It goes absolutely nowhere. What a wasted opportunity!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Uh huh... however Ottman actually thought that Superman indeed "needed more" by including a choir during the heroic airplane rescue! LAME!

Ottman's score is pretty weak however his Luthor theme is superb! But his variation on Williams classic love theme is pants and his own attempt at writing a new more modern love theme isn't a theme at all. It's like 5-6-7 random notes that don't even make up any sort of melody. It goes absolutely nowhere. What a wasted opportunity!

-Erik-

Yeap! I agree. To pin-point one thing that killed it for me....choir!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Hans Zimmer confirmed to score Superman and new Pirates movie

According to Thompson on Hollywood, Hans Zimmer revealed in a recent interview on Tuesday’s Inception DVD and Blu-Ray release party that he is going to score the upcoming Zack Snyder-directed adaptation of Superman.

(we knew that today)

But more news now:
    Hans Zimmer is also set to start scoring the fourth part in the Pirates of the Caribbean series in January of next year. In Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Jack Sparrow and Barbossa embark on a quest to find the elusive fountain of youth, only to discover that Blackbeard and his daughter are after it too.

More info:
    http://filmmusicreporter.wordpress.com/ … tes-movie/

Piratessssszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote
    you and me buddy

I didn't know what to make of Watchmen after my first viewing. After my third viewing I loved it (though I then saw the slightly longer and better structured DC). There are some elements of Watchmen that took me a couple of times to completely absorb because I have no knowledge of the comics whatsoever.

Besides I think the audiovisual quality of this film is just superb on blu-ray. That also counts for a lot where I'm concerned!

Third time? Man, really, where do you find the time?

As for the AUDIOvisual aspect, i really really hope you're talking about the sfx and sound design or the Philip Glass piece 'cause the score was plain awful and wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

-Erik-

It's ridiculously weak in comparison with the glory of John Williams' main them and what the latter would provide for this film had he scored it instead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I thought Ottman's rendition of "Can You Read My Mind" was absolutely spellbindingly beautiful. But other than that, his score didn't do much for me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Blame the morning dizziness (it's 10 am and i've been up for 3 and a half hours already) but for a minute there i felt i wasn't in maintitles but then i focused a bit and realized we were talking John Ottman in Zimmer's topic; phew. Makes sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2010 edited
    Thor wrote
    I thought Ottman's rendition of "Can You Read My Mind" was absolutely spellbindingly beautiful.

Disagree completely. Ottman changes the orchestrations and harmony of the theme and it sounds awful!

Listen to THIS and skip to the 6:50 mark. Really pay attention to Doug Adams' dissection of the piece.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    I thought Ottman's rendition of "Can You Read My Mind" was absolutely spellbindingly beautiful.

Disagree completely. Ottman changes the orchestrations and harmony of the theme and it sounds awful!

I think it's those exact changes that make Ottman's version so great. I'm not sure what he does, if he turns minor keys into major keys or whatever, but the theme just comes alive to a whole other extent. The theme was always a little too schmalzy in the first place.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2010 edited
    film score fan: - "You say Zimmer won't use John Williams' Superman theme at all?
    x: - "Yes, that's right." "He'll write a new theme on his own, kinda like what he did for the Batman's new approach"
    film score fan - "Interesting"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Even PVC loves Zimmer (around the 4.40 mark ; )

http://wins.failblog.org/2010/12/01/epi … ument-win/
  10. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

-Erik-

Well whatever you guys think about it, it's a score that works for me. And that's that!
  11. Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote
    you and me buddy

Third time? Man, really, where do you find the time?

Some films are worth going through multiple times, especially multi-layered thingies like Watchmen. And you really want to know how many times I've watched some of my most-loved films? I will make a detailed list for you if I do find the time.

As for the AUDIOvisual aspect, i really really hope you're talking about the sfx and sound design or the Philip Glass piece 'cause the score was plain awful and wrong.

Hell yes, I don't remember one thing about the score, but the sound design is bloody fantastic, and the incorporations of the many songs masterfully done. If you can watch this in home cinema sound you're in for a real treat. punk