• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2011
    Thor wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Thor wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Do you think this I wrotte is "pasional"? You didn't see me in my "good times", right? in fact I stop worrying me about this Zimmer "shits" since Powell appeared in the map :P

Hm?

I was young and passional once..

You're not anymore (passionate, that is)?

I'm but now I don't call "nazis" to people who doesn't like Zimmer :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nautilus wrote
    I'm but now I don't call "nazis" to people who doesn't like Zimmer :P

Ah! Good to know. We wouldn't want another Lars von Trier situation.... wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thor wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Thor wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Do you think this I wrotte is "pasional"? You didn't see me in my "good times", right? in fact I stop worrying me about this Zimmer "shits" since Powell appeared in the map :P

Hm?

I was young and passional once..

You're not anymore (passionate, that is)?

He is not young anymore either.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    That is plainly evident from the incredibly mature style of his posts! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2011
    Nautilus wrote

You know Nautilus, that calling his music "shits" and appearing generally overreactive don't make your posts anymore interesting; it makes them annoying to read. I've seen you write in the Now Playing thread and you often have interesting comments when you behave like a sane person. You really don't have to behave like a rabid dog to get people to notice you, trust me.

In any case, I feel the same about Powell. He's surpassed Zimmer in my mind as well.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Amen to that!

beer

Thor wrote
    I do that. He's my favourite composer after Williams, Elfman and Goldenthal, but I see no reason to invest my whole emotional range into it. Nor for the top three. In fact, I've never really understood those who either rave senselessly or yell obscenities in regard to a composer. It's great to be passionate and everything, and no temperature would exist without it, but why not step back for a second and look at what it is you're talking about? We're talking FILM MUSIC here, a luxury niche hobby in the industrialized countries. No need to get your "knickers in a bunch" or however the expression goes.

beer

Zimmer is in my top5 fave composers as well. But I see no reason to get emotionally upset when he disappoints. He's doing his job better than anyone else, i.e. making his bosses (directors and producers) happy with the products he provides. It's only because we listen to it on album (something the composition was never intended for) that we judge it using very different (and wrong) standards.

Peter smile
  1. I think one of the problems is that most of the time, Zimmer goes so far to arrange his stuff differently for the album to make the album experience worthwhile for itself. There are only few people who would or can afford that, but maybe that´s why he is attacked more often for what appears to be a "lazy album". People are used to what he CAN do.

Personally, if I find an album not to my liking, I shrug and say, "next time". Because there´s always an album coming that makes me happy and keeps me going for weeks and months, before the next great stuff happens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2011 edited
    Maybe the level of expectation is so high that people are likely to be in for a disappointment?

I see it all the time, and not just with Zimmer. A composer is announced for a project, comments like "awesome", "really looking forward to this", etc, ring out and then a few months pass and when people eventually hear it...ouch!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Maybe the level of expectation is so high that people are likely to be in for a disappointment?

I see it all the time, and not just with Zimmer. A composer is announced for a project, comments like "awesome", "really looking forward to this", etc, ring out and then a few months pass and when people eventually hear it...ouch!

Like John Debney in Iron Man 2 wink
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I can think of much worse examples. Iron Man 2 wasn't half bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Plindboe, I say shit with a lot of inner peace. I'm not...overeacting or dissapointed, I didn't expect nothing. I only put an adjective to his album and score, and i really do think Zimmer himself knows this is a shit. Take the money and run.

And I don't says things like that to make people pay attention to me, because I don't care. In fact I'm a little bit off of forums.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Nautilus wrote
    Plindboe, I say shit with a lot of inner peace. I'm not...overeacting or dissapointed, I didn't expect nothing. I only put an adjective to his album and score, and i really do think Zimmer himself knows this is a shit. Take the money and run.

And I don't says things like that to make people pay attention to me, because I don't care. In fact I'm a little bit off of forums.

I'm getting old :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, if you're talking to yourself, you definitely are! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Thor wrote
    Yes, if you're talking to yourself, you definitely are! smile

Ahahahah! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Yeah, and I think it was particularly bad with this one, since POTC 3 was one of Zimmer's best efforts in many ways. Ah well, onto Kung Fu Panda 2!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote

Indeed. IT was twice as bad.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

That's rude. The finished score didn't had Debney's original ideas, and the main theme was barely used. Still, Debney made an enjoyable score with a better use of synths and guitars than the MV scores.

And people complains because Debney is scoring family films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well a bunch of Electric guitars screaming around the place aren't going to make me wave a flag when the same composer wrote something like Passion of the Christ, dragonfly or Lair some years back; it's not the genre that makes the score, but the music itself.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    yonythemoony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

That's rude. The finished score didn't had Debney's original ideas, and the main theme was barely used. Still, Debney made an enjoyable score with a better use of synths and guitars than the MV scores.

And people complains because Debney is scoring family films.

My point was that people were expecting for Debney to write an 'awesome' score (or similar adjectives) when compared with what Djawadi wrote. But in the end. Debney wrote a middling three star effort (which I had predicted before).
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't it's much different or better than Djawadi's.
  3. a couple of reviews to get you through the weekend:

- The House of the Spirits
    - The Last Samurai
    - Rain Man

Enjoy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2011
    Cool, Thomas. Will read them now.

Btw, if I give a rating and I later change my mind is there a way to change the old rating?

Peter smile
  4. plindboe wrote
    Cool, Thomas. Will read them now.

Btw, if I give a rating and I later change my mind is there a way to change the old rating?

Peter smile

no, normally the ratings stick, I think Bregt can answer that better why you can't change them.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2011 edited
    From the Kung Fu Panda 2 booklet: Hans Zimmer and John Powell would like to thank: Guillermo del Toro.

HUH? confused

EDIT: right... he was a producer on the film. Forgot about that one.
  5. I was just looking at the top 10 grossing films in the U.S. so far this year, and I couldn't help but notice how many of those films are either scored by Zimmer or one of his minions, or one of his former minions, or someone trying to sound like him:

1. The Hangover Part II
    2. PotC: On Stranger Tides
    3. Fast Five
    4. Thor
    5. Kung Fu Panda 2
    6. Bridesmaids
    7. Rio
    8. X-Men First Class
    9. Rango
    10. Hop

Love him or hate him, you have to admit that he has had an enormous influence on film music. The Zimmer sound is ubiquitous in Hollywood these days. It has probably become synonymous with popular American cinema to most of those who get into that…which is a lot of people.

Food for thought.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2011
    christopher wrote
    I was just looking at the top 10 grossing films in the U.S. so far this year, and I couldn't help but notice how many of those films are either scored by Zimmer or one of his minions, or one of his former minions, or someone trying to sound like him:

1. The Hangover Part II
    2. PotC: On Stranger Tides
    3. Fast Five
    4. Thor
    5. Kung Fu Panda 2
    6. Bridesmaids
    7. Rio
    8. X-Men First Class
    9. Rango
    10. Hop

Love him or hate him, you have to admit that he has had an enormous influence on film music. The Zimmer sound is ubiquitous in Hollywood these days. It has probably become synonymous with popular American cinema to most of those who get into that…which is a lot of people.

Food for thought.

Same thing occur every year. What will happen is that there will be the eventual backlash and studios will shift toward a different sound, Hans Zimmer will grow along with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2011
    Interestingly, though, Zimmer himself has moved on to other soundscapes - stuff like the new BATMANS, INCEPTION. Heck, I think you can trace it all the way back to THE THIN RED LINE.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011
    Hans Zimmer & John Powell will play Kung Fu Panda in the UK, probably in panda t-shirts

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= … 3638825013

biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011
    Why not the full panda suits? :D
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2011
    The only worthy element in that whole event, is Tina Guo.