• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2011
    Interesting how at given times one tends to return to whatever magic it was that got one into any special interest in the first place. Is it a rediscovery, Bregje? Or a certain mindset?

Speaking strictly for myself, I tend to return to "the core", "the basis" or whatever label you'd want to stick it with, in times of melancholy (autumn would qualify! wink ) or when I'm fed up with whatever new material that comes out (whether because of the lack of quality -quite a personal standard- or the fact that I simply can't keep up!).

Anyway, just some slightly off topic thoughts.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2011 edited
    I think it's just mania caused by hormones!! bhangra
    Or, perhaps it's because I've seen Hans Zimmer and heard him talk about music and heard his music in concert.
    love

Anyway, I feel old, because I don't get it anymore and I'm only 32...
    Apparently I've been listening to the MP3's called: The Best of Hans Zimmer
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Best-Of-Hans- … amp;sr=8-3

But there is also an album: Film Music of Hans Zimmer Vol. 2.
    http://www.amazon.com/Film-Music-Hans-Z … amp;sr=8-4

I thought it was the same music, but it's not?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Kudos on the Zimmer mood, Bregje! I often get into those myself, and also had a boost -- like you -- after Ghent. Same with Goldenthal too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    I think it's just mania caused by hormones!! bhangra
    Or, perhaps it's because I've seen Hans Zimmer and heard him talk about music and heard his music in concert.
    love

biggrin
    Or that!

(So much for my introspective mood!)

Anyway, I feel old, because I don't get it anymore and I'm only 32...

Don't get what? confused

On the Zimmer CDs: I have tried to shy as much away as possible from compilation CDs from popular artists.
    The trouble is that the copyright often is held by different companies, and so you get a massive overlap of titles on CDs that have almost the same name. angry
    Very annoying!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Avoid the Prague albums as much as possible, they feature very pedestrian reorchestrations of Hans's work. In fact when they were working on the first compilation, Hans wanted to block it, but couldn't, sadly.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Avoid the Prague albums as much as possible, they feature very pedestrian reorchestrations of Hans's work. In fact when they were working on the first compilation, Hans wanted to block it, but couldn't, sadly.

Thank you, this is the kind of information I was looking for. Although I don't understand what a pedestrian reorchestration is...

What exactly does he want or not want?

It would feel weird to like a recording that the composer didn't agree on. I do like Woad to Ruin though as far as I can judge from the video, I really do! Sorry Hans. But I'd like that one in any new version, even kazoo.

I'm curious for other opinions on the albums though. What do you all think? They're all on YouTube obviously, so let me know. Just don't buy them, if Hans Zimmer doesn't want that haha.
    tongue
  2. They made Gladiator's battle sound like a fight between people on wheelchairs, that's what I mean by pedestrian reorchestration. I know Demetris will agree with me that their rearrangements are full of crap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    a fight between people on wheelchairs, that's what I mean by pedestrian

Now that sounds like a contradiction in terms! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Martijn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

dizzy spin biggrin
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. Seriously speaking, to me the re-recordings (which are pretty brilliant) and compilations give me a very difficult aesthetic problem I have to solve.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    I have the first Prague Philharmonic compilation from Silva and it's one I will keep returning to on ocassion, if only to have alternate performances from those of the official albums. OK they don't always resemble Zimmer's original vision, but I find it interesting to listen to another performance. Like with Crimson Tide, to hear it fully orchestral is really interesting, though nothing beats the original sound of the album. I don't think the Silva album holds less passion because of this though, but that's my view on things.

Can't speak for the second volume, as it holds much music of Zimmer I'm less interested in. The more recent and not quite as melodic Zimmer.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. My problem isn't the performance as it is the fact that they rearranged original cues and the Prague performance loses the whole power character of a, trust me, very intrinsically detailed work Hans puts into his mixes and arrangements. To me the level of what Prague does there is similar to the joke I tend to make about putting local flavor back into Pirates of the Caribbean and playing it as a reggae on my cheap keyboard. Those rearrangements are uncalled for.

Granted, I am aware that they don't have access to electronics like Hans does and they come from a much more classical background, but think of it. Zimmer comes from the rock background or even tradition, so what he does with orchestra has a totally different approach than what Williams (BTW, they also rearranged Williams classics and Goldsmith classics, I know that for a fact, what's the point of rearranging John Williams if concert suites are actually available on Amazon?!) does or any classically trained composer does. To me Hans in those re-recordings loses all his masculinity and what they did with Gladiator made me boycott these guys, so I don't get annoyed again.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Sounds like a cross between Benny Hill and Monty Python.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Kinda, Benny Hill and Monty Python meet Holst's Mars.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Surreal.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    SURREAL
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Not really. It's actually the official 1979 Moving House card (by Star Wars visual design artist and visionary Ralph McQuarrie) when the Lucasfilm company moved from Los Angeles to San Rafael.

I actually used copies of that card many times when I myself was moving house.

...WHAT has ZIMMER got to do with any of this?
    (Unless we're moving ROOMS?
    MWAHAHAHAAAAaaa....God, name jokes are SO immature. shame )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I didn't really think so either, I only put that there just in case you'd never seen it....yeah, unlikely, I know! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregje wrote
    So! What about this Film Music of Hans Zimmer Vol. 2 performed by the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra?

I'm listening to the clips now and don't know what to think. It seems like a weird selection, like in part 1 there is also music that's not by Hans Zimmer.

I've not read anything on the forum here about this release either... (but I wasn't here for a while, I know).

Well, I've just listened to Woad to Ruin from this compilation on YouTube and that's really... interesting! The same goes for 160 BPM. Funny enough these are two pieces I recently said to my hubby wouldn't it be nice to hear those live or something. So the orchestra and choir version is very interesting.

Does anyone have this compilation? Who did the selection?

It's awful. Like many of these re recordings. Both of those Zimmer ones.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I find it funny when they say how easy it is to play John Barry's music yet a lot of the early recordings are very off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2011
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's awful. Like many of these re recordings. Both of those Zimmer ones.

But why?
    This answer is not really helping. I want opinions.

(I'm a teacher remember? You have to explain your opinion tongue )
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Seriously speaking, to me the re-recordings (which are pretty brilliant) and compilations give me a very difficult aesthetic problem I have to solve.

What is brilliant? I don't understand this answer.

(So, you don't get the points for this answer, says the teacher. Explain more clearly!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    DreamTheater wrote
    I have the first Prague Philharmonic compilation from Silva and it's one I will keep returning to on ocassion, if only to have alternate performances from those of the official albums. OK they don't always resemble Zimmer's original vision, but I find it interesting to listen to another performance. Like with Crimson Tide, to hear it fully orchestral is really interesting, though nothing beats the original sound of the album. I don't think the Silva album holds less passion because of this though, but that's my view on things.

Can't speak for the second volume, as it holds much music of Zimmer I'm less interested in. The more recent and not quite as melodic Zimmer.

Thank you! You get full points for answering my question and elaborate on it. wave

Seriously, it is kind of what I experience now listening to 160 BPM and Woad to Ruin. On YouTube, the ones from the MP3 download album.

It sounds different, which is nice for a change. It gives me an idea what it would be like when I'd go to a symphonic concert and the orchestra would perform some Zimmer music. Hearing a different version fully orchestral can be nice for a change.

After Inception in concert we also get an idea what these other scores in concert would be like if Zimmer did it himself!!
    dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I don't know if this has been posted yet, but this prooves Hans still has wicked ideas.

http://www.ujam.com/campaigns/darkknigh … roduction:
    Composer Hans Zimmer invites you to take part in the Dark Knight legend. Add your voice to thousands of others for a chance to be included in "The Dark Knight Rises".

Hans Zimmer wrote:
    "I'm shining the bat-signal up into the sky to call you all!

We need to hear your voices! Now and Loud! We are creating the sound of a worldwide chant. Everyone come and be part of it. It's easy:

There is no such thing as out-of-tune, no timing we can't fix later. If you mumble, growl, scream or whisper, it's all good. Make it yours. If you only get halfway through, no problem! Do it alone, bring your friends, but do it with energy and commitment.

Let your voice be heard and be a part of our adventure!" So we need every one of you out there to join. By signing up and recording your voice, you could be a part of "The Dark Knight Rises".

The Chant reminded me of the track Pencil Neck from House on the Haunted Hill (Don Davis), which I find an incredibly scary piece of music:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktgzs_E7-s4
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2011 edited
    Bregje wrote
    After Inception in concert we also get an idea what these other scores in concert would be like if Zimmer did it himself!!
    dizzy

biggrin

No concert will be the same again! It's still a pity I wasn't at the large Zimmer concert in Ghent in 2000. When you read comments and reviews, and hear the original recording sessions, it seems not all was successful. More of a show then a concert, which Inception In Concert at a certain point was as well(in a good way, mind you!)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bregt wrote
    I don't know if this has been posted yet, but this prooves Hans still has wicked ideas.

http://www.ujam.com/campaigns/darkknigh … roduction:
    Composer Hans Zimmer invites you to take part in the Dark Knight legend. Add your voice to thousands of others for a chance to be included in "The Dark Knight Rises".

We should have done something in Gent. We were a lot of kazoo players! Wasted oportunity sad
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Marselus wrote
    We should have done something in Gent. We were a lot of kazoo players! Wasted oportunity sad

That is actually a good point.
    It's ridiculous we should be with so many and not organize an event ourselves. A kazoo flashmob.
    I'm not even kidding. Need a think on this for next year. But it's a GOOD idea, Marcel!

Anyway, back to Bregje's question (I'll refrain from responding as I know neither CD nor the concert).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregje wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Seriously speaking, to me the re-recordings (which are pretty brilliant) and compilations give me a very difficult aesthetic problem I have to solve.

What is brilliant? I don't understand this answer.

(So, you don't get the points for this answer, says the teacher. Explain more clearly!)

I think it's because Zimmer's music isn't designed for live symphonic settings. His sound isn't one that relies solely on the orchestra, but rather a mix of orchestra and electronics to create a certain 'Zimmery' sound (I guess). He acts as a sound designer as well as composer, particularly something like Inception. Though it's probably largely due to the way his scores are recorded, where he'll record each section separately and then merge them all in a final mix, which gives it that Zimmer sound?

This is all conjecture though. I could be wrong. But I do like Zimmer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Marselus wrote

That is actually a good point.
    It's ridiculous we should be with so many and not organize an event ourselves. A kazoo flashmob.
    I'm not even kidding. Need a think on this for next year. But it's a GOOD idea, Marcel!

Anyway, back to Bregje's question (I'll refrain from responding as I know neither CD nor the concert).

Green!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Orange!
    I am extremely serious.