• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2012
    Jeez, I've been torn a new one (so to speak) in the Facebook comments.
  1. The power of fanboys...

I am one myself and I am aware of that, but I try to look for and find my arguments for every single review without attacking any composer in the text whatsoever (as much as I dislike Brian Tyler's output I try not to include that in what I write about his scores).

This particular composer I personally met and I will cherish this to the end of my days. This particular composer took a liking in me, which lets me stay in contact and I enjoyed personal chats with him about the narrative of this particular score. Did it influence the fact that I would give Pirates of the Caribbean 4 one star? Did the fact that I attended a recording session of Sherlock Holmes 2 influence my liking of the score? No and no, though in the second case the only thing I liked about that score was what I actually heard on the session itself.

What it changed though is a lot of respect about the work put in even a failed score. What I write on a film score forum is one thing, but I vow never to personally attack a composer in a public review. And I manage to do that, even if I review a failure or I don't like what the particular composer does. I've always had a particular interest in the writing process of a composer and from what I know about his scores and what we've talked about, you did make some slight mistakes in defining his working process in the TDKR review, but as a reviewer nobody has to be in the know, I am just lucky.

As I wrote above, the only thing I missed in your review is any mention of the material presented for the Selina Kyle character, which is actually quite prominent on album (the more subtle tracks - also Nothing Out There and Fear Will Find You) and belongs to my favourite Zimmer material in recent years.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I deliberately simplified the working process... but I do know somebody who was closely involved in the production of this score, so it was not something I just pulled out the air!

I take your point abut the Kyle music. I should have said something.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I just read through it all "phew" dizzy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. There's something to be said for greeting everything you don't like with a sense of humour, but continental Europe seems a bit short on it over there. dizzy
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Yeah. And that's putting it delicately.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2012
    Wow! Some of those people are batshit crazy Zimmer fans! And now Zimmer himself is commenting! Oh the humanity!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Oh dear! dizzy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Guano...
  4. James,

I have refrained from participating in this whole mess on FB, because it seems to be starting to resemble a mud throwing compititions in there.

But I think I can call myself a pretty neutral bystander in this. (I generally like Zimmer music, but am no where in the category of Jordi for instance)...

So here is my five cents: Everybody is taking it too personally.

I didn't think your review was bad, it was indeed your opinion, phrased with some humor, but maybe not completely (or restricted) to the musical side of things.
    There is a point to be made about the 'power' you hold over future sales, but this is the age of internet, so everybody has an opinion and a place to make it public. You are not the reviewer for the New York Times, so I'm guessing your impact will be minimal (not to bash you or anything, I just believe that people who read your reviews, already have a mindset of their own concerning scores, and will therefore already made up their mind about buying or not buying, liking or not liking a certain piece of music).

What I did find remarkable was that:

1) certain rabbit fans of Hans go very far in defending him (to such an extent that it becomes aggressive). My advise to them: don't take it personal. It's not because James doesn't share your (musical/emotional) viewpoints, doesn't make it so that he is personally attacking your way of listening to or enjoying music.

2) the fact that Mr Zimmer decided to reply to this.
    I don't disagree with most of what he wrote (you indeed 'got reviewed' on your review... he's OK with the fact that 'you didn't get it'... But the fact that he takes the tme to reply to it, and in the way he did it, gives WAY too much weight to this thing in my opinion.

Well, anyway, I send you my heartfelt support to NOT take what Mr Zimmer said personally yourself.
    I have read your reply on FB to him right now, and I found it respectfull and to the point. I hope everytging will die down now.

Supportive hug hug

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2012 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    No, he doesn't, really. Jordi's cool right now, but the more personal attacks on the review are uncalled for.

Jordi's surprisingly cool lately. Except for when selectively deleting facebook comments wink (joking dear Jordi wink )
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh and reading all those fb replies, i couldn't help but to think that many people need to relax. A lot.
  5. How does Hans have the time to be commenting on facebook posts with the amount of composing he's meant to be doing? wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Maybe he is employing a team of facebook co-repliers.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Maybe he is employing a team of facebook co-repliers.

biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I was going to say something similar.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Hmm, I wonder how much they get paid...might be a fun job cool
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Hmm, I wonder how much they get paid...might be a fun job cool

- must allow all words written to be copied and re-used - only sychophants need apply -
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote

Deshi bashara in Sanskrit was my mistake, it is Arabic and means either "He rises" or "rise up".

He says in this review http://soundworkscollection.com/darkknightrises it is actually an inexistent language?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    Supportive hug hug

Elin

Thanks for your supportive words! I hope it will all go away now. I read the review again and it really wasn't one of my best so I made a few tweaks, but it would be nice now to not have to think about it. It all got rather upsetting for a while...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I like your newly tweaked review. Certain other peoples need a healthy reality check.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    They are in obvious need of something else too.

James, do not alter anything; it's your opinion, you don't need to be apologetic about it; God, let's get over this now.
  6. I'm away for just a day and all hell breaks loose.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm away for just a day and all hell breaks loose.

I'm sure you are talking about missing that video of me in a kilt?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012
    what what what?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    It's in the Funny Videos topic. And I want Alan to see it because his personal emoticon is needed wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm away for just a day and all hell breaks loose.

I'm sure you are talking about missing that video of me in a kilt?

biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. Yes, A League of Their Own gets a blu-ray release punk

Great movie, love it, but boy do I wish the full score of Hans Zimmer will get a release someday, because for me it's one of his all time best. I place this one alongside Prince of Egypt, for it brings me Hans Zimmer like I never heard him before cool
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. Oh cool! Great film that one. And yes Zimmer nailed it with the music. Where has the time gone when he wrote these highly melodic and beautiful scores?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.