• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Demetris wrote
    sn account?

Social network, sorry!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. lp wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    But the all Donner interpretation of the Superman universe is just the bog standard Williamsesque score that's being put out again and again.

It is certainly was nothing new and it does nothing to elevate the film series above the rest.

See what I did there?

biggrin

The thing is, a composer such as Williams does have a "sound" in my book and it's this that is the foundation upon which individual scores are built, usually by developing memorable thematic material.

Then there are composers who tend to rely on their sound as their foundation and their score, using only minor variations to make it "fresh and individual".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Captain Future wrote
    (That whole thing is dwindling rapidly over here in Germany)

That's news to me. Facebook is as big as it ever was here and everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    lp wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    But the all Donner interpretation of the Superman universe is just the bog standard Williamsesque score that's being put out again and again.

It is certainly was nothing new and it does nothing to elevate the film series above the rest.

See what I did there?

biggrin

The thing is, a composer such as Williams does have a "sound" in my book and it's this that is the foundation upon which individual scores are built, usually by developing memorable thematic material.

Then there are composers who tend to rely on their sound as their foundation and their score, using only minor variations to make it "fresh and individual".

I like the way you think, Alan. That makes a lot of sense.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    lp wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

See what I did there?

biggrin

I understand what you're saying, and I see Hans in the former category, and someone like Nick Glennie-Smith and Steve Jablonsky in the latter.
  4. Perhaps all our own sensibilities and experiences with film music means that we put composers in different categories. For me, only occasionally does someone like Zimmer fit snuggly into the former category.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Perhaps all our own sensibilities and experiences with film music means that we put composers in different categories. For me, only occasionally does someone like Zimmer fit snuggly into the former category.

Experience. Yupper.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2013 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Facebook forms according to how people use it. It can be a big pain in the ass or the perfect way to get ridiculed or loose your job if you're an idiot, or it can be the perverts or pedophile's paradise thanks to naive-or-not-so-naive girls of all ages, but it can also be the perfect way to get informed, stay up to date, expand your business network, show your work. It all depends on how you use it, as with every major public medium.

I am not against it. I am against idiots using facebook.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    As for Superman, i don't know about you, but i'd at least be interested to hear a new approach. If i am not going to get the master himself working on such a film, i.e. Williams, then i'd prefer a wholly different and new approach instead of the soulless, autopilot-ish Williams imitations that come along as dry and uninspired as Ottman's superman returns. Who knows? Maybe with new approaches, something really good might come along some day; like with Inception and Tron:legacy for instance.
  5. Yes, a new approach for Man of Steel would have been a good thing to hear.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well i liked what i heard in the trailer no3., what seems to be the main theme. The clips don't say much at all, i am waiting for the score and will watch the movie before i pass final judgement.

I hope he didn't put all his energy into making i as different as Batman as he could and he forgot how to make it good as well. Time will tell.
  6. Time will tell. Things are getting in a bit of a spin over a series of 30-second clips. I've not seen all of the trailers - the first one I saw seemed a bit of a big-budget, dazzling & pretentious effort - so I may not have heard this theme yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    See the third one, it has original score from the movie in it. Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYVO2iydS2I
  7. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote

http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/web/nutz … 92266.html
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  8. Hans is scoring the new Steve McQueen movie "Twelve Years a Slave". The film was already scored and it will have a limited release this December (27th) and will expand to more theatres in January. Typical Oscar bait behavior.

He says the movie is really good.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A Steve McQueen movie!? shocked Wow! Holy retro-deceased film star movie Batman!!!!

p.s. really, no need to explain....got that?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. Actually when I first heard of the director, I was quite shocked. Like

Steve McQueen directed something?! Hasn't he been dead for years?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    That's interesting. I really liked both HUNGER and SHAME -- Mcqueen's previous two movies -- and if this film is anything like those, it will be intriguing to hear what Zimmer can do for it (more independent-oriented fare, at least compared to the big blockbusters he's been doing lately).
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Well, Twelve Years a Slave is distributed by the independent/low-budget branch of Fox (Searchlight), so yeah, it may be very, very interesting at least.
  11. Can't wait to read an interview about this with Zimmer claiming this crazy idea he cooked up of representing the slaveowners with monumental synth brass notes. spin

Although I know Zimmer's better than that, really, and I am looking forward to hearing him tackle a small yet significant film, for a change. Surely he won't farm this one out to Lorne Balfe...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Can't wait to read an interview about this with Zimmer claiming this crazy idea he cooked up of representing the slaveowners with monumental synth brass notes. spin

Although I know Zimmer's better than that, really, and I am looking forward to hearing him tackle a small yet significant film, for a change. Surely he won't farm this one out to Lorne Balfe...

If you know McQueen's previous films, there's little chance for that. Both HUNGER and SHAME had minimal music to begin with, so I'm expecting some very discrete soundscapes for this.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I'm also quite surprised. I think McQueen is one of THE exciting new directors to follow with very strong first films, but as Thor mentioned, his use of music is quite sparse with effective use of classical music in SHAME. However, since Escott's adagio's for SHAME seemed temp tracked by Zimmer's THIN RED LINE, the choice doesn't completely overwhelm me by surprise - save for the fact that I'm pleasantly surprised by Zimmer taking on such a project again.

By the way, the fact that the film seemed to have already been scored yet is now being rescored by Zimmer seems to confirm earlier rumors that the film was deemed 'a mess' in early test screenings. It should've premiered at the Cannes film festival yet the screenings pushed the film back in development with edits being made and apparently a different score. This is for me THE film to look forward to at the moment, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed the film is a) not being ruined now due to simpletons in the audience that didn't 'get' McQueens vision, or b) they're RIGHT, and it really IS a poor film. Cant make up my mind what is worse. Only time will tell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote

For me Zimmer is in the first category too. Judging by the scores I know, obviously! I don't own that many Zimmer scores, so perhaps I already tend to pick the most thematic ones. The least thematic score is probably Inception, but I love it, it was perfect for that movie. The most thematic 'recent' score I know is At Worlds End. Anyone who knows that one plus the suites can never argue again that Zimmer does not develop themes. I think my opinion is also based on not knowing the Batman scores. I heard a couple of tracks but I do now own these Dark Knight scores so that makes a lot of difference.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Demetris wrote
    See the third one, it has original score from the movie in it. Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYVO2iydS2I

I am curious what you think Alan!
    No one can judge by these Amazon clips, this trailer is the best clip there is.

Speaking of the Amazon clips, I lost them twice. First they we there then they were gone. Then I found them through another link, then that link was gone too. Now Amazon only lists the limited edition without clips. In short: I can't find the clips anymore... Does anyone have a new link? I didn't have time to listen earlier.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Hi Bregje, you can listen to the sound clips on YouTube, where someone put them all after each other:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tilzHt_oTgQ

So, with all this talk of Zimmer not referencing any of the previous Superman material... what do y'all make of this?

Just compare: 4:05 of the above video of the MAN OF STEEL clips, with 0:07 from Not Like The Train Set of Ottman's SUPERMAN RETURNS (I'm sorry if Ottman is referencing John Williams' themes here - haven't heard the original Superman score so wouldn't know). Anyone else hears it too?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bob, are you telling me you've never heard John Williams original Superman score?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. BobdH wrote
    By the way, the fact that the film seemed to have already been scored yet is now being rescored by Zimmer seems to confirm earlier rumors that the film was deemed 'a mess' in early test screenings.

Either they never had confidence in the original composer, or the original composer was an unknown and nobody bothered to mention him, 'cause I just spend a few minutes searching, and came up empty.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    Bob, are you telling me you've never heard John Williams original Superman score?

I believe I have never heard the score on album either. But I've seen the movie several times *sigh* so cheesy!! Smallville is the "real" Superman mythos to me. So feel free to JUDGE ME. lol. But yes, I'm not sure how one could avoid knowing the Superman themes, considering that I knew them when I was like 8 due to them showing up on the film score compilations my parents had.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Timmer wrote

I believe I have never heard the score on album either. But I've seen the movie several times *sigh* so cheesy!! Smallville is the "real" Superman mythos to me. So feel free to JUDGE ME. lol. But yes, I'm not sure how one could avoid knowing the Superman themes, considering that I knew them when I was like 8 due to them showing up on the film score compilations my parents had.

I think Smallville is great but I have a real soft spot for the 1978 Superman, I can also understand why a younger modern audience can see it as "cheesy".

Regardless of any of that, JW's Superman score is a towering achievement and one of the great stand-alone listening scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote

Hey, I put that in small letters! Anyhow, yes, I've never heard the score in full on album. I've seen films 1 and 2, found them grossly overrated, and since the original score is nowadays best heard on a CD that only comes with a box that is as overpriced as the films are overrated, I never went further than Williams' iconic main theme for the dude. It's somewhere on my to-do list.