• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2013
    I think the first SUPERMAN is a wonderful film, and not only because it's a nostalgic favourite. I can see why some of the flying effects and some of the Lex Luthor elements are considered 'cheesy' by today's standards, but overall I love the whole separation into setpieces, almost separate mini-films with their own identity (which MAN OF STEEL seems to do too). It's a "warm" film with a lot of soul and character depth. Just top quality, IMO.

Now the sequels, on the other hand....pure nonsense!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2013 edited
    It's just terribly jarring to see Lex Luthor as a generic insane Hollywood villain after only knowing the complex and intimate portrait that Smallville paints. That's the cheesy part. The effects I can forgive.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2013
    Scribe wrote
    It's just terribly jarring to see Lex Luthor as a generic insane Hollywood villain after only knowing the complex and intimate portrait that Smallville paints. That's the cheesy part. The effects I can forgive.

I never cared much for SMALLVILLE, to be honest (and I saw quite a few episodes when it was on). Too many airbrushed, perfect-looking teenagers and their problems.

I far, far prefer Gene Hackman's over-the-top villain in the original film than the charisma-less guy in SMALLVILLE (name escapes me).

But to each their own.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. "Smallville" is really great ... FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2013
    Thor wrote
    That's interesting. I really liked both HUNGER and SHAME -- Mcqueen's previous two movies -- and if this film is anything like those, it will be intriguing to hear what Zimmer can do for it (more independent-oriented fare, at least compared to the big blockbusters he's been doing lately).

Those two movies were incredibly good! I wonder if Hans can still write as esoteric as those 2 movies' previous scores (especially the intimate SHAME). But it was possible that he'd work with him since the main theme from SHAME sounded like THE JOURNEY (THE THIN RED LINE).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2013
    http://soundworkscollection.com/news/ch … soundtrack
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2013
    From scoop.it/soundtrack and From www.guardian.co.uk - May 10, 9:22 PM

Stuart Heritage:
    The new Superman theme shows the gritty realism of superhero films is leaking into their music. Where are the epic, hummable themes to sing in the playground?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Demetris wrote

Stuart Heritage:
    The new Superman theme shows the gritty realism of superhero films is leaking into their music. Where are the epic, hummable themes to sing in the playground?

He's just noticing this now?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Every major film in the genre is another chance to re-notice it, i think.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Demetris wrote

Stuart Heritage:

He's just noticing this now?

It's just because Superman has such a memorable and iconic theme, having a Superman film without that theme does make it very noticeable.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2013 edited
    I don't remember any film critic complaining about a lack of memorable, hummable theme(s) in Nolan's Bat trilogy.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    I don't remember any film critic complaining about a lack of memorable, hummable theme(s) in Nolan's Bat trilogy.

They should have done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    But actually the only time most film critics mention music these days is when it IS melodic and thematic, saying how terrible and old-fashioned it is.
  2. I think it has been this way for quite a long time, not just recently. I think they really go with the old statement that "Good movie music is the one you can't hear".

The fear of big themes in modern cinema (started a while before the Batman stuff, though I can't pinpoint whether the trend didn't actually start in the very late 1990s) is something that would be very much worth discussing. I do have a theory about it. Notice how quite often Horner was heavily criticized by film critics.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think it has been this way for quite a long time, not just recently. I think they really go with the old statement that "Good movie music is the one you can't hear".

The fear of big themes in modern cinema (started a while before the Batman stuff, though I can't pinpoint whether the trend didn't actually start in the very late 1990s) is something that would be very much worth discussing. I do have a theory about it. Notice how quite often Horner was heavily criticized by film critics.

Horner and Williams are probably criticised more than any others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I have no problem with a score eschewing the big and melodic score if that's what the film calls for. If it's molded in a very realistic idiom, there is no place for a big, swashbuckling, traditional score. As it should be. However, there's no need why a film molded in a more 'old-fashioned' style shouldn't call for an old-fashioned score as well. It always depends on the film's project and style. In the case of MAN OF STEEL (and what I've seen of the footage), the score seems very appropriate. I'll await a final judgement untill I've actually seen it.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think it has been this way for quite a long time, not just recently. I think they really go with the old statement that "Good movie music is the one you can't hear".

Horner and Williams are probably criticised more than any others.

I think in the 1970s and 1980s Williams was unanimously praised. I know (courtesy of Jim Lochner's brilliant liner notes to the Intrada release) that Horner got quite a backlash for his very restrained (!) score to In Country, I intend to see the movie very soon, so I will assess that on my own.
  4. Film reviewers like to take potshots at Williams and Horner because they think it makes them sound edgy and modern. And there's nothing I hate more than the whole "good film music is that you can't hear" ideology. Utter rubbish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPlingKong
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2013 edited
    Thor wrote
    I have no problem with a score eschewing the big and melodic score if that's what the film calls for. If it's molded in a very realistic idiom, there is no place for a big, swashbuckling, traditional score. As it should be. However, there's no need why a film molded in a more 'old-fashioned' style shouldn't call for an old-fashioned score as well. It always depends on the film's project and style.

Word.

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Film reviewers like to take potshots at Williams and Horner because they think it makes them sound edgy and modern. And there's nothing I hate more than the whole "good film music is that you can't hear" ideology. Utter rubbish.

Word.
  5. I think the general reason why film critics are afraid about music being "open" (as in thematic, expressive and the lot) is that the reviewers don't want film music to be intrusive and manipulative, which arguably, might (in some cases only!) be the reason why music IS in film in the first place...

Admittedly, while I never felt that with John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith, there were cases when the intensity (or maybe rather bittersweetness) of James Horner did ruin some movie endings for me (honestly, A Beautiful Mind was one of the cases), but still, it SHOULD be making a point.

Of course, for me, the best situations are where music contrasts with the images or foreshadows stuff, but yeah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2013
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ … a-20130513

Listen to the track "DNA" here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'm kind of torn between desperate curiosity, a desire to remain unspoiled, and a fear of being disappointed...

Although I'm not sure that Zimmer has EVER actually disappointed me. I guess that makes me a fanboy. lol.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I usually have low expectations for Zimmer scores so it's a nice surprise when it turns out to be something I enjoy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I accidentally closed the DNA page and forgot to listen to it again because I didn't realise until now I closed it by accident. I'm sure it's unforgettable in the film.
    Kazoo
  6. Scribe wrote
    Although I'm not sure that Zimmer has EVER actually disappointed me. I guess that makes me a fanboy.

There's few composers I've been more disappointed by in recent years than Zimmer (his entire output in 2011 resolutely murdered the last traces of my early beginnings as a fanboy), but whatever you say. At least we both love King Arthur. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2013
    I hope that laughable cheap-sounding piece of tripe isn't actually a track from Man of Steel. It's got to be a joke, right? I seriously can't stop laughing. It's like a four-year-old's impersonation of what film music sounds like if all they've heard is Remote Control music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
  7. Southall wrote
    I hope that laughable cheap-sounding piece of tripe isn't actually a track from Man of Steel. It's got to be a joke, right? I seriously can't stop laughing. It's like a four-year-old's impersonation of what film music sounds like if all they've heard is Remote Control music.

^ Hyperbole.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    You can't actually tell me you didn't think it was terrible. Or perhaps you can!
  8. I certainly didn't think it was good by any stretch of the imagination, but to my ears it was just an inoffensive, dull cue. Nothing truly awful, though. Hopefully that isn't the best the score has to offer (the music in the trailer seemed a bit more engaging).