• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2013
    Language? what language? I said surrounded by cocks wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Language is all a bit extreme in here, isn't it? Shall we just all agree that this Hans Zimmer fellow is a promising young player who hopefully will get some big projects to demonstrate the range of his talents soon?

wink

I apologise for lacing an earlier post in this thread with what may be termed by Leonard Nimoy as colourful metaphors.
  1. I hope I didn't come across as too serious! wink However since we're on this, it's not so much the words, just -- if there are people, places, things that are really beneath all our contempt, then the classy thing is to not speak of them.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    And there I was, trying to steer the conversation back towards Star Trek.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Michael, you're right, i apologize as well; but sad things are happening in film music in our days and i do mean my worries; i didn't intend to insult anyone, just try to post a wake-up call perhaps? I really hope this score gets so much bad criticism that it will finally serve (although i doubt it) as this wake up call to Zimmer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oh, I don't think the wave of negative opinions from film music fansites will have much impact. The album will probably top the "classical" charts, the film reviews will either not mention the music at all, or will say how good it is that it doesn't sound like John Williams, and it will be seen as a job well done by all concerned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    One thing I've come to realise is that I may only be 35 - and so by no means old - but I'm more than twice as old as the target audience for this film (and the majority of films made by Hollywood). This music isn't really meant for me any more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am afraid others are feeling the same too; me included, and i am just 30. Time to move on?
  2. I am approaching 50 (not this year but next) and I have completely forgotten what we are talking about.

rolleyes
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  3. We're talking about SKYFALL.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. Southall wrote
    One thing I've come to realise is that I may only be 35 - and so by no means old - but I'm more than twice as old as the target audience for this film (and the majority of films made by Hollywood). This music isn't really meant for me any more.

Oh, poor guy. Too old to be targeted, too young to get a senior citizen's discount, but still strong and youthful enough to have a friend ask you to help them move heavy stuff.

If it's any consilation, if studo's were targeting us for their film's scores, much bigger deals would be made of them to the general public.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2013 edited
    Can some of you be a little more refrained please? Also you Demetris.
    Some of what has been posted on the previous page is just silly.

Jesus!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt, I apologize but I mean it all. However I realize this makes other people upset and thus I am taking a step back.

Sorry for contributing to the negativity lately. Obviously the largest percentage of today's film music isn't exactly for me and especially not to be discussed in film music boards where the target audience of such film music often resides.

I am stepping down as a mod, Bregt please remove my mod status asap please. I will visit / post as Few as possible. Will concentrate on my job, writing more reviews on the few good scores that still come out instead.

Cheers
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Me too. I apologise for the bad language but not the sentiment. I am passionate about this and will continue to be so. If I cannot be so here without upsetting people then clearly it is better if I am not here at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2013 edited
    Passion is great! We need that. The challenge is to channel that passion through constructive criticism. Not always easy, but something worth striving for, I think.

-- Thor's self-evident wisdom words for the day.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Personally, it's the unnecessary use of "rustic language" that puts me off the most. There's just no need for it. The passion that Thor mentions can be conveyed without the need to resort to the kind of language used recently.

Discussions need to two sides to be interesting: constant agreeing is not going to be interesting.

Let's keep up with the discussion and keep everything civil.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    If people just drank more beer and ate more potato chips, we wouldn't have this problem. tongue
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote
    If people just drank more beer and ate more potato chips, we wouldn't have this problem. tongue

Now that you seem to have adopted "potato" instead of "potatoe" let's now move onto the next step: try using "crisps" rather than "potato chips".

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    The last couple of pages on this thread have been quite a read!
    The passion, emotionalism (whether good or bad) and honest dialogue between people on this subject is great! This is what makes life interesting. And the diversity of tastes and opinions within this very musical sub-culture is just as splintered as any religious organisation.
    Great to observe or indulge in. This is humanity after all!
    Please keep up these wonderful discussions!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I do feel a bit sorry for Zimmer if he really does read and react to public forums such as this one (but I imagine his reaction is not unlike this...)
  7. Demetris wrote
    No other composer has beliebers who blind hmm into writing as such and thus forming such dangerous trends in what studio execs, directors and producers are asking and expecting from every other composer out there.

I don't know if that was a typo or not, but if it was a typo, I officially announce you've coined a new word; a word to describe nonsensical Justin Bieber fans: beliebers

Henceforth this fantastic new word could be used to describe other fanatical fans.

Okay, time to get serious. OMG, "Belieber".

All right, all right, serious now.

I've been a rather frequent ... ah, hell -- I hate his scoring.

But, having said that, let me ploy devil's advocate here. So, he likes to keep it simple. Nothing wrong with that. But the outcome is different from the idea. Look at Goldsmith's later output: streamlined, often times more simpler, especially when compared to his more experimental earlier works. Was it bad? Not necessarily. Was it good? Well, depends on which score fajn you like. But we have a comparrative example of what can be done.

But maybe Jerry is a bar too high to Zimmer to reach, or a bar Zimmer doesn't even want to reach. I am speaking of a man, as Demetris pointed out, whom has insulted other composer's works (to what extent, D would know better than I), and one of those composers was Jerry ("Air Force One"), and priased Ennio Morricone, yet never paid respect to the craft which Ennio takes so seriously; he's like Jimmy Fallon laughing at himself, but not having earned it, like Dean Martin had.

So, we need other examples from other composers, of what can be done compositionally simple, and even simple in orchestration.

Here's an example of what can be done with a fake sounding solo piano, with few notes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVE5M86Wnjk
    (and here it is again on a real piano: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB-oipHp6Cc)

Here's another composer with a solo piano:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuY0E8bSMMA

There's not a lot going on here, yet it's powerful and moving:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W44lMRSxjG0

And speaking of power, how about adding iconic? For the first fourty seconds a solo instrument created film scoring history:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZGujtX-HLE

How about the same thing going on for fourty seconds, with unison orchestration (changing instrument here and there), and velocity changes, yet again becoming wordly iconic?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrk3Hsi7Ais

And there's not much going on here, with only a solo woodwind providing the drive (though the string work gets more involved around the end). And it's by Morricone:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr2SBRqt1Fo

Just a few examples of what can be done with little, keeping it simple. Zimmer just chooses not to really try.

Isolate himself from that fancy room, get a pen (thereby leaving you unable to erase and stick with what you put down), and for one year work on just one film, where he can only write and orchestrate the whole thing, and really put an effort into it, even if simple. Create something iconic, or at the very least, something maestro Morricone would say it nice*.

* = Do not expect him to smil.e He does not do that.

And if somebody says "stupid", "fuck", or "shit", it's not the end of the stupid fucking world. tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

Now that you seem to have adopted "potato" instead of "potatoe" let's now move onto the next step: try using "crisps" rather than "potato chips".

wink

At last, someone dealing with a REAL problem, 1000 kudos points to Alan beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    If people just drank more beer we wouldn't have this problem. tongue

WORD! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I am approaching 50 (not this year but next) and I have completely forgotten what we are talking about.

rolleyes

Welcome to my world rolleyes slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Bregt, I apologize but I mean it all. However I realize this makes other people upset and thus I am taking a step back.

Sorry for contributing to the negativity lately. Obviously the largest percentage of today's film music isn't exactly for me and especially not to be discussed in film music boards where the target audience of such film music often resides.

I am stepping down as a mod, Bregt please remove my mod status asap please. I will visit / post as Few as possible. Will concentrate on my job, writing more reviews on the few good scores that still come out instead.

Cheers

D, you're probably the most vocally passionate person on this forum, please keep it up, I, and I'm sure most here, wouldn't want it any other way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

wink

At last, someone dealing with a REAL problem, 1000 kudos points to Alan beer

I don't see that happening any time soon. 'Crisps' means something totally different in Norwegian -- at most associated with bacon crisps. I would have loved to use the Norwegian word instead -- 'potetgull' (potato gold').

Back on-topic, I finally had to give this album a listen on Spotify after all the hooplah.

Well, I'm neither here nor there. I don't see what all the rave is about and I don't see what all the slaughter is about. It's fairly middle-of-the-road, I think. I loved the moody bits with the giant chord leaps -- reminded me a bit of a 'fatter' version of Michael Land's THE DIG. The arsenal of drums is cool, but wears out its welcome eventually. The softer bits (especially for piano) are pleasant.

There are definitely INCEPTION and BATMAN vibes all over it, but it doesn't have the same presence, versatility and originality. On the other hand, I do picture this working well with the type of style we've become accustomed to from Nolan.

I'll be seeing a press screening of the film on Tuesday, and I'll get back with more comments then.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    We're talking about SKYFALL.

...now where were we? Ah yes! SKYFALL. Cheers Michael.
  8. justin boggan wrote
    Demetris wrote
    No other composer has beliebers who blind hmm into writing as such and thus forming such dangerous trends in what studio execs, directors and producers are asking and expecting from every other composer out there.

I don't know if that was a typo or not, but if it was a typo, I officially announce you've coined a new word; a word to describe nonsensical Justin Bieber fans: beliebers

Henceforth this fantastic new word could be used to describe other fanatical fans.

Okay, time to get serious. OMG, "Belieber".

All right, all right, serious now.

I've been a rather frequent ... ah, hell -- I hate his scoring.

But, having said that, let me ploy devil's advocate here. So, he likes to keep it simple. Nothing wrong with that. But the outcome is different from the idea. Look at Goldsmith's later output: streamlined, often times more simpler, especially when compared to his more experimental earlier works. Was it bad? Not necessarily. Was it good? Well, depends on which score fajn you like. But we have a comparrative example of what can be done.

But maybe Jerry is a bar too high to Zimmer to reach, or a bar Zimmer doesn't even want to reach. I am speaking of a man, as Demetris pointed out, whom has insulted other composer's works (to what extent, D would know better than I), and one of those composers was Jerry ("Air Force One"), and priased Ennio Morricone, yet never paid respect to the craft which Ennio takes so seriously; he's like Jimmy Fallon laughing at himself, but not having earned it, like Dean Martin had.

So, we need other examples from other composers, of what can be done compositionally simple, and even simple in orchestration.

Here's an example of what can be done with a fake sounding solo piano, with few notes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVE5M86Wnjk
    (and here it is again on a real piano: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB-oipHp6Cc)

Here's another composer with a solo piano:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuY0E8bSMMA

There's not a lot going on here, yet it's powerful and moving:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W44lMRSxjG0

And speaking of power, how about adding iconic? For the first fourty seconds a solo instrument created film scoring history:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZGujtX-HLE

How about the same thing going on for fourty seconds, with unison orchestration (changing instrument here and there), and velocity changes, yet again becoming wordly iconic?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrk3Hsi7Ais

And there's not much going on here, with only a solo woodwind providing the drive (though the string work gets more involved around the end). And it's by Morricone:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr2SBRqt1Fo

Just a few examples of what can be done with little, keeping it simple. Zimmer just chooses not to really try.

Isolate himself from that fancy room, get a pen (thereby leaving you unable to erase and stick with what you put down), and for one year work on just one film, where he can only write and orchestrate the whole thing, and really put an effort into it, even if simple. Create something iconic, or at the very least, something maestro Morricone would say it nice*.

* = Do not expect him to smil.e He does not do that.

And if somebody says "stupid", "fuck", or "shit", it's not the end of the stupid fucking world. tongue

Hans loves Goldsmith's music, I can assure you of that. In the same interview you were mentioning he said how he loved The Edge, while he felt that LA Confidential was some of a Chinatown rehash.

Some time ago I wrote a Facebook status about how amazing Roxy Loses is a piece and he actually liked that status, so don't judge the fact that he said nothing else than "Well, Air Force One is a typical Goldsmith score" (and nothing really else!) and pointed out that Newman tried doing something a bit different.

All his interviews about Man of Steel made a point of stating how brilliant John Williams is. I still don't get what happened with that Elfman thing he said around Batman Begins, but then he praised Goldenthal's work. Then again, when he admited he was scoring The Simpsons he said that he would consult his theme arrangement with Elfman and redo it from scratch if Elfman didn't like it. I also know for a fact that when Elfman was mixing something in the studios (which happens to many composers) an they tried playing him some material composed for Batman Begins but he didn't let them, being like "Leave me alone! I'm past Batman now!"

Also under a status of mine, Hans has stated that Horner is a "total and complete master". In an interview I did with him he praised, literally, Alexandre Desplat and Michael Giacchino (in another interview, on video, he asked the interviewer "Have you heard Up?!".

If you actually really seriously collected what he said about other composers in multitude of interviews there is basically one composer whose output he doesn't really like.

That composer... is Hans Zimmer.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  9. Oh, and should I also point out his very heartfelt statement after John Barry died, how he loved Hammett and loved On Her Majesty's Secret Service (also he told me that Inception is his little Bond score, due to the influences of that score) the most of all things? (which, as I saw, got a praise from Hammett's pianist, too).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website