• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2013
    Such a fractious thread at the moment.

For Hans Zimmer and everyone else....

THE ANTIDOTE
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    Such a fractious thread at the moment.

For Hans Zimmer and everyone else....

THE ANTIDOTE

That's such an annoying song! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Slightly. I like the sentiment though. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. And the video is a legend! Am I right remembering Robin Williams was in it? And some other celebrities.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2013 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote
    Yikes, I've been unfriended by Jordi on Facebook. I don't know why but I imagine it has something to do with the subject of this thread. I thought my news feed had become somewhat quieter!

He seems to have gotten a bigger connection with Hans now, who thanked him in the Man of Steel booklet. Jordi's one of those gushers.

That's exactly why I deleted you as a friend in facebook. You people, with no respect for anyone or anything. No respect to composers (Hans) not to people here ( Krisz, me..)
    I left this forum 2 years ago. Why? I got tired of recieve offensive comments about both my english and my thoughts. it was part of this "Game" at the begining, but seriously your behavious is really pathetic.
    So now what? Since you know I don't read this fórum anymore (surprise!) you talk about me...Is this honest? is that fair? No, it isn't. I didn't do anything except share my enthusiasm here!

I used to enjoy your reviews James. But what you just did with Hans (yes, with HANS) in your recent "articles" is pathetic, nasty and unfunny.

I'm pretty sure now all you are going to say it's because I got credited in Hans' Album. Think whatever you want people but.... I LEFT THIS FORUM YEARS AGO.

Thanks for talking about me when I'm not here. It's really civilized and it says pretty much everything about you.

Bye.
    Edit: Im not going to read any reply.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Hey Scribe... here's one of them.

popcorn

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Think whatever you want people but.... I LEFT THIS FORUM YEARS AGO.

No you didn't because if you did you wouldn't have written the post above. cool

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Think whatever you want people but.... I LEFT THIS FORUM YEARS AGO.

No you didn't because if you did you wouldn't have written the post above. cool

-Erik-

Yes, he did for all practical purposes, and I miss his posts sad
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Yes, he did for all practical purposes, and I miss his posts sad

When he was reasonable, yes. He's posts were quite entertaining and at times thoughtful.

But he needs to grow up. I had him as a Facebook friend once but he unfriended me because I deleted a tasteless post that he posted on my timeline (this coming after he asked me to do a favour for him.) Well, that caused a shit storm and he proceeded to have a temper tantrum, wrote one final immature post and unfriended me. I just laughed it off.

That basically summed up his time around here as well.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    And the video is a legend! Am I right remembering Robin Williams was in it? And some other celebrities.

Yes, Robin is in the video I linked.
  3. Now he blocked me as well biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm not taking any sides on anything, but I've always found it fascinating that there can be so much drama and intrigue in such a minor field as film music, of all things -- an important and underrated artform, no doubt, but still a trifle in the scheme of things.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2013 edited
    Because we are all human beings. Doesn't matter what we like or dislike. There is always going to be clashes. Sad but true.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Give the poor guy a break, he's only Spanish! wink

If my girlfriend is reading this, I don't really mean that. In fact Spanish people are the most reasonable people I know and I love you and please don't kill me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    I was just skimming through some online Q&A which Zimmer just did and uncovered this little beauty:

Q: I have several friends who are composers in Los Angeles. Though they respect you as a businessman, I have a difficult time defending your music to them from a compositional standpoint. What would you to say to composers who criticize your compositions for being too simple?
    A: I've spent my life trying to make things simpler. Because I find ultimately that complicated doesn't reach the heart.

I find that absolutely, staggeringly insulting. Does this guy have no shame? So you write stupid music because people are stupid and couldn't possibly understand anything else?

Blood boiling. You're ruining film music you great big cretin with that stinking, horrible attitude. Fuck off and do something else and let someone with a bit of respect for the audience have a go at doing it instead.

He could have phrased it better, but I think there's truth to what he's saying. The simple is often easier to digest, and often has an immediate emotional impact, while more complicated music often takes some time and effort to get to know before you can appreciate it fully. Often the pay off is greater in the long run with the complex, but for film music I think simple tends to work best.

Peter smile
  4. Back to this, I would like to stress one thing.

A bit earlier in the same Q&A Hans praised Beethoven's Fifth Symphony for the perfect development of a very simple idea (the four-note motif in that piece).

Another thing I would love to point out is that, which I did many times recently, Hans isn't critical of complex music at all, knowing composers he is a fan of (almost every major film score composer, everyone on this board loves, Williams, Goldsmith, obviously Morricone).

The phrasing was poor and done very quickly, probably he was taken off-guard by the question itself. That's the only way I can and want to defend him. He's very sensitive to criticism (as I said, there are things I don't want to go into in public, if anyone is interested, I can share it privately, but ONLY if someone promises me not to mention it on the public forum) and hearing this got to him, I believe.

Also, what I want to say is that if you look at the music, you can notice that even the most complex stuff written, be it Williams or Horner, is based inherently on very simple material that is put against itself. I would like to mention here a score I really adore...

Williams' Black Sunday, one of my all-time favourites by the man, is based on several very simple motifs and not crying-out-loud melodic ones. What he does though is use them in a perfectly leitmotivic way to the point of clashing them against each other at times. Hell, he even goes out as far to make a (brilliant at that!) fugue out of them which as those with some musical expertise know that is the hardest and most precise form of music that at least could be written in a certain point of time. So, at the end of the day, complex music is getting and clashing simple ideas with each other.

Also, one little thing. A lot of people love James Horner's Samuel's Death from Legends of the Fall, I go as far as calling it my favourite Horner action piece. Now, those who know it very well (a lot of you, I suppose), please tell me. What do you find hummable in that piece? The action themes (greatly melodic) at the beginning or rather the big dramatic, very complex and intense, aching string soar (sorry for the word) near the end?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ok, lets all calm down. Please stop the poking Erik and Pawel. I don't agree that Jordi is one of those crazy ones, although he often goes for that but then he mostly knows himself when he does (I have met him several times so I get to know him a bit)! However, his post above was not a prove of that unfortunately and he should have been the hero.

Lets not continue what has been ended here two years ago. I think we should respect each other, even when people are gone, even though I would like Jordi to have stayed. On the other side, Jordi, keep calm and understand that not all what has been said above is to be taken serious. What James said was merely a poke at the crazy Man of Steel postings on Facebook.

I will close this thread. I will not create a new Zimmer one. I'm sure a new one will be created when necessary. There's also a Man of Steel thread.
    Kazoo