• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, it was quoted in interviews at the time. Zimmer repeatedly stressed how he worked on a grand Batman theme with JNH but Nolan didn't want anything like that in his movie eventually. Nolan, a very good filmmaker besides that, is very well known for his 'atmospheric / ambient' musical approach to his films. He never went (so far at least) the 'musically intrusive and grand' way.

That's a real shame. Why didn't he stick with Julyan if he didn't want anything "obtrusive"?

I guess the studio wanted a big name, but it does seem a complete waste of money considering they could have had Julyan for 10% (or less) of the cost and received a similarly awful score.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Oh now come on, Batman Begins is a much more structured and an enjoyable score compared to Julyan's drab Prestige (which works beautifully in the film but not on CD). There's nothing in The Prestige that comes close to the power-anthems of "Molossus" or any of JNH's beautiful string and piano work for Batman Begins.

Although I think Nolan should've gone to the late Shirley Walker to score Batman Begins instead. Her Batman: Mask of the Phantasm theme would be right at home for Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am pretty sure that Batman Begins, the movie, would look and sound pretty lame with a Julyan snoozfest ontop.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Steven wrote
    Probably the same as it did in BB. sad

I hope so ! wink

Wouldn't you rather something new? Otherwise you'll be buying the same album effectively.
  1. Christoph wrote
    The low deep suppressed theme(s) is indeed the thing that makes this score memorabel. I prefer this far above the scores of the Burton's films.

To be honest, I prefer the whole movie to anything Burton or Schumacher made. Batman Begins was much closer to what I understand to be The Batman.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    For all the above:

1) Zimmer wanted a big theme, Nolan didn't let him.
    2) The previous Batman films - sorry to say so but, look utterly ridiculous in comparison to Nolan's vision.

My hero. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2008 edited
    About Julyan: I love his score for The Prestige as much as I love that spectacular movie itself. The score absolutely hits the right mood for the movie, and I really listen to that CD quite often, because it makes a brilliant background music for writing.

And ehm... sorry for the triple post.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    For all the above:

1) Zimmer wanted a big theme, Nolan didn't let him.
    2) The previous Batman films - sorry to say so but, look utterly ridiculous in comparison to Nolan's vision.

My hero. beer

What did batman begins a failed score was not the lack of theme ( wich in fact, there is a great theme) but it's the repetitive stuff, the uninspired love theme and the synthetic crap (from Myotis).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I'm going to close this topic for one day!
    Some fresh air will do good. wink

Starting tomorrow? ok?
    Kazoo
  3. Äh... what? Don´t you dar.... < bam! >
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Bregt wrote

Have you already ordered some extra web space for the release of The Dark Knight? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thomas wrote
    Bregt wrote

Have you already ordered some extra web space for the release of The Dark Knight? wink

I created a whole new forum with a complete wiki attached.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    About Julyan: I love his score for The Prestige as much as I love that spectacular movie itself. The score absolutely hits the right mood for the movie, and I really listen to that CD quite often, because it makes a brilliant background music for writing.

And ehm... sorry for the triple post.

Agree, but something like that would never fit in BATMAN BEGINS, musically speaking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas wrote
    Bregt wrote

OH.MY.GOD! You're right!

Look what happened with.....KUNG FU PANDA, imagine what the DARK KNIGHT will do! shocked shocked

I hope THAT combined with lolcats, won't prove too much for some dear* members of the forum!

* see candidates for an exit around Dark Knight's release: Erik Woods, Timmer. For now;
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Agree, but something like that would never fit in BATMAN BEGINS, musically speaking.

That´s correct, O`Neill.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas wrote
    Bregt wrote

OH.MY.GOD! You're right!

Look what happened with.....KUNG FU PANDA, imagine what the DARK KNIGHT will do! shocked shocked

Mwaahaha, Kung Fu Panda is just the beginning; Zimmer´s Summer Party has just began! punk
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas wrote

I hope THAT combined with lolcats, won't prove too much for some dear* members of the forum!

* see candidates for an exit around Dark Knight's release: Erik Woods, Timmer. For now;

A nightmare to some, an opportunity to others!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas wrote

A nightmare to some, an opportunity to others!

You, sir, are just being mean now.

Btw, Has anyone thought about that forthcoming deadly formula yet? As in, REALLY thought about it?

Jordi+the Dark Knight score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Jordi+the Dark Knight score.

I can´t hardly wait biggrin
  5. Maybe we can talk him into opening an own thread for himself when TDK comes out. There he can scream his enthusiasm into the world as much as he wants, and everyone who needs a portion of happyness can enter and take it. At own risk, of course. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Maybe we can talk him into opening an own thread for himself when TDK comes out. There he can scream his enthusiasm into the world as much as he wants, and everyone who needs a portion of happyness can enter and take it. At own risk, of course. biggrin

Or...or....or......i can delete his posts........ok? right? all right? ok?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    Or...or....or......i can delete his posts........ok? right? all right? ok?

Forget it. You won't be able to keep up. Plus, you will get confused, getting paranoid at posts reappearing after you thought you had deleted them. The stress will get to your brain. In a week, you'll be declared insane and start listening Pirates 3 on a loop. I've seen it happen before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    BobdH wrote
    Forget it. You won't be able to keep up. Plus, you will get confused, getting paranoid at posts reappearing after you thought you had deleted them.

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Right. Or.....or.....or...........Bregt can implement the IGNORE FUNCTION by then? Right? Please Bregt buddy?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Come on, we´ll have fun. I can´t wait for Jordi´s first listen!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Marselus wrote

Oh, I'd love to see his face during that listen. It must be a look that combines the I LOVE IT / I HATE IT emotion all at once and in equel measure. It should be be extraordinary.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    BobdH wrote
    Marselus wrote

Oh, I'd love to see his face during that listen. It must be a look that combines the I LOVE IT / I HATE IT emotion all at once and in equel measure. It should be be extraordinary.

Hehe...well I can meet him that particular day and make a little photo essay.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    Marselus wrote

Yeah, and his fingers frantically banging on the keyboard as he'll let us know here at maintitles.net of his first loonney reactions in crazy lolcat language as always!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    crazy lolcat language as always!

biggrin
    We are all learning lolcatese / lolcatish here!
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2008
    Won't be long till the schools start teaching it as a second language.

Now back to seriousness. With the rumor that Hans Zimmer might retire or take a break soon, who do you think would score a third batman film if one gets made? A solo effort by James Newton Howard?