• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote
    I actually tend to agree with Jordi that Zimmer will NOT surpass AWE, simply because he rarely gets projects that have the thematic complexity and emotional depth that this film (tries to) have.

Is AWE SO great people? Seriously.

He will easily deliver something grand one day eventually, once he stops getting kung fu pandas crap and score a serious movie instead.

Arguably, Goldsmith's best scores were for poor movies, particularly where fan favourites are concerned.

Yeah; same doesn't apply to Zimmer though, evidently.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Nautilus wrote
    lp wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Perhaps because it's from a crap movie... rolleyes

AWE's not crap just because you can't follow it.

it's a crap because it's loooooooooooooooong, unfocused, with annoying dialogues and a real mess.

translation... he can't follow it.

Jordi, I usually support you so if I'm disagreeing with you, that probably means you should think twice wink
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I support Jordi. AWE is a crappy movie, typically showing what it wrong with so many sequels (just like the mess Spiderman 3 was). Too much, too long, too many side stories that don't make sense at all, and too boring to ever watch again. Phuh!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I too found that none of the sequels (POTC2 included) were ever able to keep up and follow the pace and coherency of the first movie. POTC2 - especially, almost made me fall asleep half-way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Jordi's is spot on.
    Pirates Of The Caibbean: At World's End is one of the most stupid, boringly overlong, unfocused, directionless, pointless messes it's been my misfortune to have to watch for a LONG time.

The score is the most enjoyable of the three, but in the grand scheme of things still not a very big deal. It's Zimmer doing what Zimmer does best: loads of pump and circumstance woven around catchy themes, and that's fine. that works for me. But that doesn't make it a masterpiece (although it would depend on what you compare it against, I guess. I don't think any more than two or three score fans have ever been able to get together and actually agree ona list of ten so-called masterpieces, smile )
    The trilogy as a whole, reliant as it is on just one man's one-note performance (albeit a very amusing single note) and LOADS of CGI, will almost certainly be regarded as outdated in a couple of years time.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2008 edited
    I liked both CoTBP and DMC a lot. AWE was kinda overlong, yeah, with a bit too many side plots. But I liked some of the sequences like Davy Jones' Locker scene (multiple jacks), the duel un the maelstorm scene (had a terrific, sadly unreleased version of Hoist The Colours theme) and of course the final battle (Beckett's day-sleepwalk biggrin ) Hans' score prevented me from falling asleep in the duller scenes anyway wink Anyway, I like the series a lot, along with the scores biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    POTC could have been a great pirate / fantasy trilogy, but ended up being, as you´ve mentioned, overlong, boring, with two much subplots, and a total mess (I have to admit I was lost by the half of the second part, and the same in the third one). Too bad, because the characters were there, the budget was there and the director could have done a great trilogy with a better screenplay.
    Some great moments though, like the ones mentioned by Ravi, specially Beckett´s death, one of the best moments I´ve seen in a movie in a long time (the slo-mo combined with Zimmer´s epic theme is amazing).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Wow....

The screenplays for the sequels were much smarter than you guy realize. Characters were created with their own mythology and backstories that were pull from other established sources. They didn't tell you everything and you were actually had to watch it, and think about it. The first 2/3 of DMC was there to serve as a first act to AWE, and though we would judge it to stand on its own, it wasn't meant to. And although both sequels had its faults, they were entertaining and refreshing, more than I can say for most of the offerings at the time.
  1. My thoughts exactly. The first movie was fun. With the second, they started to create a whole world around the smaller story, widening the universe and building a complex structure of alliances and feuds, bound to be broken as was to be expected. The final twists of part three were a massive pay-off for anyone who cared to follow the storyline with heart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    As you can fathom most of us really didn't think any of the outings were smart, and for the better part the last instalment certainly was entertaining nor refreshing! I'm slightly confused what you think there was to think about in any of the films, which were about as straightforward as possible.
    I fear you read a bit too much in what really was not much more than an action-adventure series, of which the last part was muddled and overlong.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Am I the only person on this board who's NEVER seen POTC II & III ?

I thought the first one was a highly entertining popcorn movie.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    lp wrote
    Wow....

The screenplays for the sequels were much smarter than you guy realize. Characters were created with their own mythology and backstories that were pull from other established sources. They didn't tell you everything and you were actually had to watch it, and think about it. The first 2/3 of DMC was there to serve as a first act to AWE, and though we would judge it to stand on its own, it wasn't meant to. And although both sequels had its faults, they were entertaining and refreshing, more than I can say for most of the offerings at the time.

Good...there are actually sane people left on these boards....

confused to everyone that thinks otherwise wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Certainly Curse Of The Black Pearl was just fine. Not particularly clever or original, but highly amusing and entertaining throughout.

And I thought Dead Man's Chest was even better: exciting, witty and with a great sense of fun, excellent set pieces, a clever script, and great use of all the actors.
    Basically everything part three didn't have. But at least At World's End had about sixteen hours of thunderous noise, CGI for everything, and Depp finally (and definitively) crossing the line between amusing and annoying.

I'd heartily recommend Dead Man's Chest.
    For At World's End, stick with the soundtrack and -if you have to: look up the plot on a review site somewhere, and use those three hours for something worthwhile.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Apparently, Warner Brothers Records will release not one but FOUR different versions of the TDK soundtrack: a regular jewel case CD, a 2 LP set of heavy-weight 180 gram vinyl version, a special edition digipak, and a collector's edition with special artwork to come after release.

"The Dark Knight Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" -- the haunting score to the hotly anticipated feature film The Dark Knight -- will be released by Warner Bros. Records on July 15, 2008, three days before the movie opens nationwide on July 18th.

Composers Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard, who collaborated on the score for the 2005 blockbuster Batman Begins, were asked by director Christopher Nolan to work together again, scoring its follow-up, The Dark Knight. The duo recorded the orchestral soundtrack for the film in London this April.

Warner Bros. Records will release four different configurations of "The Dark Knight soundtrack: a standard jewel case CD, a 2 LP set of heavy-weight 180 gram vinyl version, a special edition digipack, and a collector's edition with special artwork to come after release.

Big question is: WHY? Unless one has more music than the other, I see no point in these different releases.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I've read about this new fad of starting to release vinyl again.
    Anyone any background on why that is?

Don't get me wrong, I love vinyl, but I can't see much point in it?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

With the right equipment IT SOUNDS BETTER!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Matt C wrote
    Big question is: WHY? Unless one has more music than the other, I see no point in these different releases.

Really! If there aren't bonus tracks at least on the collector's edition (like 300) it would be pretty much a senseless addition (I wouldn't buy a pack with the same music content just for artwork!!! It's the content that I'm after biggrin ) But since this is Warner Bros., you can't rule out chances of expanded release in the future wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Am I the only person on this board who's NEVER seen POTC II & III ?

I thought the first one was a highly entertaining popcorn movie.

You're not loosing anything mate; stick with the first one, the most (if not the only) entertaining of the trilogy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Matt C wrote
    Apparently, Warner Brothers Records will release not one but FOUR different versions of the TDK soundtrack: a regular jewel case CD, a 2 LP set of heavy-weight 180 gram vinyl version, a special edition digipak, and a collector's edition with special artwork to come after release.

"The Dark Knight Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" -- the haunting score to the hotly anticipated feature film The Dark Knight -- will be released by Warner Bros. Records on July 15, 2008, three days before the movie opens nationwide on July 18th.

Composers Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard, who collaborated on the score for the 2005 blockbuster Batman Begins, were asked by director Christopher Nolan to work together again, scoring its follow-up, The Dark Knight. The duo recorded the orchestral soundtrack for the film in London this April.

Warner Bros. Records will release four different configurations of "The Dark Knight soundtrack: a standard jewel case CD, a 2 LP set of heavy-weight 180 gram vinyl version, a special edition digipack, and a collector's edition with special artwork to come after release.

Fans who'd pay for anything and nostalgia are 2 great factors when you're looking to make lots of money mate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Rrrrriiiiiiiiiight. rolleyes
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

*cough* nostalgia *cough*
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nostalgia...Hm...that makes a lot of sense.
    More so, with all due respect, than the old and a million times disproven "it sounds better" argument.

Silly idea though, and somehow decadent to my mind.
    It caters to a demand that simply isn't there.
    Well, welcome to the wonderful world of marketing. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed.

IT doesn't sound better. It's all in your mind.

No ear can tell the difference between a clean (i.e. without scratching) LP and a CD of the same material without pre-knowing which one is which('cause that alters your perception the way you want it to be; it's psychoacoustics, it's everywhere, it's the new hot topic in the music / academic - acoustics fields, research and industry) it's what my bachelor thesis is about (not lp vs cds, but perception of music in general and stereophony vs surround vs 3dsound).

Reason? Very simple. There's NO difference to be heard for the human ear as both are UNCOMPRESSED sound formats, only difference being CDs tick at a two-channel 16-bit PCM encoding at a 44.1 kHz sampling rate per channel while LP's are completely raw. No ear can tell the difference 'cause both are UNCOMPRESSED.

And to avoid any possible confusion, LP vs CD is nothing like audio cd versus mp3 or any other compressed audio techniques and if anyone wants me to explain that, i would be very glad to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris, perhaps you can tell me whether or not this is true: I've always thought that the trjth behind this stubborn urban legend was that in the very early days of CD, the recording actually *was* clipped (not compressed, mind, but actually clipped) at a certain amount of hertz at the top and the bottom for space purposes.

Now obviously while this wasn't audible, there isa certain resonance in non-clipped audio that affects the bone structure to vibrate sympathetically (especially when using cans). This resulted in many finer-attuned people to complain of the "cold" sound of CDs.

However this clipping has been abandoned very early.
    The legend remains though.

This is how it was explained to me by a friend in the music/recording business, but I've never found anything yet in literature to confirm or disprove that.

Any thoughts on that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    That it is a very interesting and intelligent question, Martijn. First time I've heard it stated so clearly.

*awaits Demetris' answer*
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Because people are afraid of the CD Monster!!!! shocked shocked

Watch out, it eats everything!
    Including sound quality!

Simple as that: monster + eat
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Did you take your pill today, Bregt?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Demetris, perhaps you can tell me whether or not this is true: I've always thought that the trjth behind this stubborn urban legend was that in the very early days of CD, the recording actually *was* clipped (not compressed, mind, but actually clipped) at a certain amount of hertz at the top and the bottom for space purposes.

Now obviously while this wasn't audible, there isa certain resonance in non-clipped audio that affects the bone structure to vibrate sympathetically (especially when using cans). This resulted in many finer-attuned people to complain of the "cold" sound of CDs.

However this clipping has been abandoned very early.
    The legend remains though.

This is how it was explained to me by a friend in the music/recording business, but I've never found anything yet in literature to confirm or disprove that.

Any thoughts on that?

It's never been proved, just a myth like the myriads of others humans like to spread.

Here's how it goes:

Supposedly, LP's (because they were direct 'scratchings' / markings of the actual sound waves on the vinyl's surface which were later reproduced exactly by the needle (head) in an analog way instead of the binary digital form of the audio cd and the reproduction by laser beam in digital instead of analog) could descend a bit below the lower minimum auditory limit of the 20 hz for the human hearing * (the lower limit varies between human being though, some (very, very few though) descend to 16 or even 10 hz but nothing's actually 'heard' below 20hz, you just MAY feel it, never hear it) and that, while not audible it is said to have attributed the particular "warmth" and "depth" to sound which LP lovers accuse CDs to lack.

Now, lower frequency ranges in the sound are indeed partly - but not solely - responsible for the warmth and depth of a sound (whilst high ones are responsible for clarity) but the whole thing is nothing but a myth, for 3 main reasons:

1) Nobody got into the laboratory / studio and actually had his hearing frequency scientifically measured.
    2) People who carry these claims always know in advance what they are listening to and that filters their perception tremendously (see below for more)
    3) As psychoacoustics and academics of sound / sound engineers will tell you, the whole theme it's subjective up to a very large degree as our hearing system which functions on sensations and not clear-cut events, is possibly the most advanced and deeply complex thing we have in our bodies and it has - and never will - never functioned in the simple way the LP lovers put it to be, i.e. IT IS THAT AND NOT THIS. It takes experiments and researches you'd never thought possible and still, nobody would ever be sure, at least with today's scientific standards.

It's SO VERY complex. To put it very roughly for everyone to understand - you only need to take into account that sound waves (ups and downs of air pressure) enter your ear, are filtered and amplified via the movement of 3 inter-connected bones which form a marvellously functioning, united system and which themselves vibrate the ear drum which then passes them to the cochlea and the sound nerves which transform mechanical energy to electrical (electrical signals) which are - and this is where things get very complicated - passed to the brain as electrical signals and as such the auditory events are analyzed and rendered as acoustical / musical sensations. That's what Psychoacoustics study, an area which is very premature and preliminary itself and i think you realize now that listening to stuff in your very own house to stuff you control and you know about in advance (something which - as i told you before - is very crucial as to how unbiased and 'real' your acoustical perception is, and that is proven) and actually CLAIMING that you KNOW what you're listening to, is - at least - ridiculous.

You'd never believe (and believe me, I've been there) what specially designed audio experiments on perception in a sterile environments (specially formed studios) in situations TOTALLY UNCONTROLLED by you would do to your standards on what you thought you were listening to all this time, up to that point. You'll be shocked, amazed and never listen in the same way you did before;

Or at least never claim you actually know exactly how you listen, even again wink

Here's a paragraph from a Time's article i always held dear to my beliefs wink

"Every advance in recording has been accompanied by the cries of those whom technology has left behind. In 1949 a British critic complained, "I ask readers if they want to feel that their collections of records are obsolete, if they really want to spend money on buying discs that will save them the trouble of getting up to change them, and if they really want to wait years for a repertory as good as what is now available to them." He was defending 78s against the encroachments of the new long-playing records in much the same terms that LP defenders cast their arguments today. And no doubt there were those who bemoaned the loss of their Edison cylinders when shellac came in."

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

With the right equipment IT SOUNDS BETTER!

^
    Like to point out I was playing nothing more than devils advocate here.

I have a couple of friends who would argue that this is true and have the technical knowlege to back it up which is all lost on ol' tin ears Me! wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It's not good that I can only come here once a day now and have to read over 70+ posts that I have no comment on. Damn the new job! crazy