• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2008 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I've heard they are supposed to make references to Elfman.

That sounds unlikely!

From Batman Begins the whole franchise is a new direction that has nothing to do with what Burton started.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I don't remember the source, but there reportedly are supposed to be some references.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2008
    It would be a nice idea considering they have The Joker in this film. IF they are referencing anything, maybe a nod to a waltz for The Joker?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    It would be a nice idea considering they have The Joker in this film. IF they are referencing anything, maybe a nod to a waltz for The Joker?

What the hell for? This film, this Joker has nothing to do with the Elfman scored films! Using your logic they might as well bring back Nelson Riddle's ( Excellent! cool ) motif for The Joker from the 60's Batman TV series.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

What the hell for? This film, this Joker has nothing to do with the Elfman scored films! Using your logic they might as well bring back Nelson Riddle's ( Excellent! cool ) motif for The Joker from the 60's Batman TV series.

It's not logic I'm using strictly speaking, but it would be a fun little 'easter egg' for us score fans. That's all I'm saying.

And yeah, even that would be pretty cool if they somehow could incorporate it into the score, though a much lesser chance considering this is a new film for a newer audience. Using Elfman's themes and motifs (although, again, highly unlikely) would still make more sense that using the old Batman TV show themes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

It's not logic I'm using strictly speaking, but it would be a fun little 'easter egg' for us score fans. That's all I'm saying.

Unnecessary IMO, I would feel like I was being "winked" at.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I like being winked at.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I like being winked at.

Oooooo get you wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Um, yeah, get me.

( confused )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Um, yeah, get me.

( confused )

Am I lost in translation? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Um, yeah, get me.

( confused )

Am I lost in translation? smile

Maybe it's my hangover? I blame the beer... (a saying that applies to most things. biggrin )
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Missiom Impossible 3?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Missiom Impossible 3?

A very winky score, and all the better for it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    timme wrote
    There is an interview online with Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard on www.filmmuziek.com. They talk about The Dark Knight.

Nautilus wrote
    Missiom Impossible 3?

I think Tim just was nervous doing the interview. wink

What a funny ending though.

Tim (interviewer): "Thanks a lot. Good luck with the future!"
    Zimmer: "We have no future (laughs)"

biggrin
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Missiom Impossible 3?

A very winky score, and all the better for it!

A whole different thing! The more this "winks" the better it gets!

With Mision Impossible I & II it was only good when it winked. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    timme wrote
    There is an interview online with Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard on www.filmmuziek.com. They talk about The Dark Knight.

Interviewer: "How can you deliver on time your scores?"
    James Newton Howard: "....when we were running out of time on Batman Begins, we hadnt´t any orchestrations done yet....Hans looked at me and said: what day is today? I said it´s saturday, we start recording on monday. He looked at me and smiled: WE HAVE PLENTY OF TIME."
    Pure Zimmer biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I personally would be rather disappointed if it winked to Burton's Batman and I really don't think it'd be better. As said before, these films claim to totally ignore Burton's other franchise on purpose, and any connection it makes would be wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    timme wrote

Interviewer: "How can you deliver on time your scores?"
    James Newton Howard: "....when we were running out of time on Batman Begins, we hadnt´t any orchestrations done yet....Hans looked at me and said: what day is today? I said it´s saturday, we start recording on monday. He looked at me and smiled: WE HAVE PLENTY OF TIME."
    Pure Zimmer biggrin

That explains why the score has no orchestrations at all tongue
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote
    I personally would be rather disappointed if it winked to Burton's Batman and I really don't think it'd be better. As said before, these films claim to totally ignore Burton's other franchise on purpose, and any connection it makes would be wrong.

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2008
    I've watched the first two Pirates of the Caribbean films over the past two days. I dunno... have I lost my mind? Maybe I have, because if the definition of a good score for a summer blockbuster is one where you can't actually imagine any other score being any better, then these are damn fine scores. I never thought I would say it. But I have.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    have I lost my mind?

<checks the Basil Poledouris thread>

Yes.
    You have.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    The music for these movies is good. A lot of you wanted a different style, but for the style chosen, it is very good music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    I've watched the first two Pirates of the Caribbean films over the past two days. I dunno... have I lost my mind? Maybe I have, because if the definition of a good score for a summer blockbuster is one where you can't actually imagine any other score being any better, then these are damn fine scores. I never thought I would say it. But I have.

Thank God! At least someone here shares my taste! Way to go, mate !! kiss beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    Southall wrote

Who said they weren't damn fine scores? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Southall wrote

Er... I always seemed to see "Pirates of Thhhhhhhhhh.... sleep " whenever the slightest mention of PoTC came up wink (no offense to anyone beer )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Southall wrote

Er... I always seemed to see "Pirates of Thhhhhhhhhh.... sleep " whenever the slightest mention of PoTC came up wink (no offense to anyone beer )

That was directed more to Jordi's constant mention of the scores (Especially AWE) rather than the score themselves, i think wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    ^^ Nice to know biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Southall wrote

Virtually everyone, including me, said they were awful scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    "The Kraken" has to be the the #1 most played track in my list these days... I'm listening to it right now too! punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    *takes a look at iTunes play count*

"The Kraken - 1"

Actually, aside from "Jack Sparrow" and "Wheel Of Fortune", everything else from DMT has 1 next to it! shocked biggrin