• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2008
    Well no, there are films out there at have used pop songs to their advantage. You just have to shrug off that prejudice a little, and look at films like Back To The Future, Born On The Fourth Of July, Apocalypse Now and Forrest Gump (to name a few) to realise that songs, and indeed pop songs, in films can work wonders.

In the case of Back To The Future, I think it mostly has a western cult status and I'm not too sure about other parts of the world? Greece isn't the first place I'd think of when discussing Back To The Future's popularity and cult status.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2008 edited
    No prejudice, i've heard those songs you mention and still hate them, dated, cheesy, not my taste at all, why can't you accept that? Nothing will surpass the original score(s) imo, not a matter of prejudices you're SO convinced i have, despite coming from Greece, i.e. Middle-East or ex-Communist areas, non-Western. wink tongue biggrin kiss
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    These songs used in these films are generally considered to work in favour of the respective films. Sorry if I've mistaken "Not an excuse, ever, to use pop songs in any film, imo. They absolutely s*CK 99% of times" for prejudice. Must be something else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    They might work indeed, that doesn't mean we should ALL like them just for that; not everyone is a fan of 80's cheesy pop culture and the lot and let us not even GO into comparing the musical value of those songs with the corresponding original scores.

1%, imo, covers all the cases of songs in cinema i personally like, that seriously being mostly the HORNER songs which i adore in their vast majority.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Plus, i don't know how you mean the Greece not being "Western" comment exactly but i refuse to take it in a different way other than pure sarcasm 'cause i am sure you DO know that Greece actually gave birth to what is considered Western civilization today. Unless you actually mean HOLLYWOOD, that is not Greek heritage indeed, not by far wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well no, of course not everyone is going to like them. I just can't agree with generalising like that is all, seems a little unfair.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    There are plenty of good uses of songs in films. What original score would you want in Goodfellas that would make it a better film than the songs do?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Seriously? John Williams or Jerry Goldsmith would seriously produce a lesser musical veil had they been assigned on the film, for instance?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    There are plenty of good uses of songs in films. What original score would you want in Goodfellas that would make it a better film than the songs do?

Great example! Forgot about that one.

Demetris, modern western culture is what I was referring to (I think). You yourself don't seem to be of the same mind set when it comes to film such as me, Erik, Timmer, etc. We grew up (albeit at different times!) with the Spielberg films, the Star Wars films, a lot of sci-fi from the 80's, things like that.

Perhaps I'm wrong, perhaps many people in Greece (and other countries not so much within a "modern western culture") do have a lot of people of a similiar upbringing in films, but to me it appears that kind of taste in films is predominantly held by the US, UK, Australia etc. I'm no sociologist, I may be wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Seriously? John Williams or Jerry Goldsmith would seriously produce a lesser musical veil had they been assigned on the film, for instance?

I don't think a Williams or Goldsmith score would "produce a lesser musical veil", but certainly a very different one. The songs used in Goodfellas worked brilliantly and the film just didn't need a score, so why have anything else?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    Not an excuse, ever, to use pop songs in any film, imo. They absolutely s*CK 99% of times, 1% being all the Horner movie songs which are fabulous!

I concur! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Great example! Forgot about that one.

Demetris, modern western culture is what I was referring to (I think). You yourself don't seem to be of the same mind set when it comes to film such as me, Erik, Timmer, etc. We grew up (albeit at different times!) with the Spielberg films, the Star Wars films, a lot of sci-fi from the 80's, things like that.

Perhaps I'm wrong, perhaps many people in Greece (and other countries not so much within a "modern western culture") do have a lot of people of a similiar upbringing in films, but to me it appears that kind of taste in films is predominantly held by the US, UK, Australia etc. I'm no sociologist, I may be wrong.

That's American Culture. You have confused terms in your mind.

I am 25, our cinemas carried (and still carry) all the films and stuff you watched too, TV carries the vast majority of that international stuff with which you grew up and with which i grew up as well. That, however, doesn't inhibit my ability to 1) get over that stuff 2) judge it based on my personal tastes; does it mean that i have to LIKE everything which i grew up with ? I guess nostalgia is a greater factor in some people's lives than others. I am not judging it, just thinking aloud based on observations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Okay, American culture it is. Whatever it is, it's a culture which is more predominant in some countries than others, certainly here in the UK. (Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.)

I'm not saying all countries except the US and the UK are stuck in the dark ages and unable to get electricity to watch these films, I'm saying the tastes and culture are different to those of the US and UK.

Does seem you're being very unfair on a lot of these films though. You seem to think everyone else is blinded by nostalgia, as though these films have little worth. It's very patronising to read comments like this, even if that's not your intent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    The reason why the movies you've mentioned worked with the songs is due to the fact that those songs were an intergral part of the story and time that each respective movie was trying to convey to us. BTTF was about a time travel story that took place in 1985. Just like Forrest Gump was about a man's journey through time and American history in which songs were a key part in enabling you to follow with him. I don't think that this is just purely a Hollywood invention alone.

I don't care if a song is used for a specific purpose to support the movie. John Hughes and Cameron Crowe's movies, for example, were very much about such ideas, and those movies, despite, being "dated" by such a soundtrack, will still be much loved as "timeless".

Hans is right about Prince, dating the Batman movie with his songs. Burton's vision of Batman would survive as a movie if he made it today, but because of the Prince songs, we see it something that was made in the yesteryear of cheezy cinema.

I really like The Mask of Zorro and even its pop song tie in. I feel that the song has already dated the movie, and limits its appeal. Imagine if the Sea Hawk had a Billie Holliday song in the end credits crooning away, telling you that the strength of love will get you through hardships.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    lp wrote
    The reason why the movies you've mentioned worked with the songs is due to the fact that those songs were an intergral part of the story and time that each respective movie was trying to convey to us. BTTF was about a time travel story that took place in 1985. Just like Forrest Gump was about a man's journey through time and American history in which songs were a key part in enabling you to follow with him. I don't think that this is just purely a Hollywood invention alone.

Yep, that's exactly why they worked. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Okay, American culture it is. Whatever it is, it's a culture which is more predominant in some countries than others, certainly here in the UK. (Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.)

I'm not saying all countries except the US and the UK are stuck in the dark ages and unable to get electricity to watch these films, I'm saying the tastes and culture are different to those of the US and UK.

Does seem you're being very unfair on a lot of these films though. You seem to think everyone else is blinded by nostalgia, as though these films have little worth. It's very patronising to read comments like this, even if that's not your intent.

Where did i state that nostalgia is blinding anyone? I said that some people are more greatly affected by it whilst others have other factors on which they build their tastes and preferences. And not all humans are affected by their early years and kid / teenage years as strongly as others, that's a fact i am sure you know it to be true.

I am sorry if u came across as such, but judging from some conversations you and Erik had a couple of days ago and which i read, it seems to me that you are the one having the constant idea that someone is always judging and patronizing you wink I, for one, am not, definitely not.

I can understand and accept the value and impact some films which are considered classics have and continue to have to a LOT of people's lives but you must accept too that not everyone is obliged to follow those very tastes and cultural references just because of their cult / classic status. I too enjoyed them when i watched them on the TV as a kid or out in the cinemas as they came out but i always found that during my limited years on the earth till now, i am moving on and am more of a man who's more into the stuff of his date each time, when it comes to cinematic and modern musical tastes, in most of the cases. That doesn't mean that i cannot appreciate the value of classics nor that i do not hold older musical / cinematics works close to my heart but I rarely remain stuck in ages past and i always get excited when digging out new material each time.

AGAIN, I AM NOT JUDGING THOSE WHO ACT OTHERWISE, I am just saying that you must understand that not everything is taboo and no-go for all the people around you and that people can also NOT go bananas over the same stuff which you consider as such, gold, untouchable, pure, brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The use of songs in TV shows is certainly something that works very well. Scrubs, ER, the first season of Lost, Top Gear (which uses a lot of film music too!) and lots of others have all used songs to great effect!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'll give you that for sure; There are cases that songs do work of course, our discussion above - at least as far as i am concerned, was mainly about the 80's (not strictly limited to that decade alone, we could expand a bit after and before that as well) cheesy pop song culture.

In general terms, the exceptions exist but are very limited for me, there are very few cases in which a song (especially if it's already pre-existing and not written specifically for the movie) can emphasize the musical aesthetics of the on-screen act better and with more variegation than a good original score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Where did i state that nostalgia is blinding anyone? I said that some people are more greatly affected by it whilst others have other factors on which they build their tastes and preferences. And not all humans are affected by their early years and kid / teenage years as strongly as others, that's a fact i am sure you know it to be true.

You have to take comments like that with a wee pinch of salt. Key word being "seem", I'm merely exaggerating a point to emphasise it. And the point I'm exaggerating is the fact the you're saying nostalgia hasn't 'affected' you, it seems like you're saying these films are only enjoyed now because we feel nostalgic. (Which is true to a degree, but they're also damn good films. There are many films from my childhood which I loved back then but consider rubbish now, e.g. Hook - which is by Spielberg, my hero.)

I am sorry if u came across as such, but judging from some conversations you and Erik had a couple of days ago and which i read

Then I apologise if I was. Could you link me to the conversation? If I ever come off as being patronising, it's only if someone makes a stupid remark. biggrin

it seems to me that you are the one having the constant idea that someone is always judging and patronizing you wink I, for one, am not, definitely not.

Well, take away the 'wink' and that sentence immediately becomes less patronising. And I'm sorry to say it, but your choice of language can be very patronising at times, even if it's not your intent, as I've already said.

I can understand and accept the value and impact some films which are considered classics have and continue to have to a LOT of people's lives but you must accept too that not everyone is obliged to follow those very tastes and cultural references just because of their cult / classic status. I too enjoyed them when i watched them on the TV as a kid or out in the cinemas as they came out but i always found that during my limited years on the earth till now, i am moving on and am more of a man who's more into the stuff of his date each time, when it comes to cinematic and modern musical tastes, in most of the cases. That doesn't mean that i cannot appreciate the value of classics nor that i do not hold older musical / cinematics works close to my heart but I rarely remain stuck in ages past and i always get excited when digging out new material each time.

I never said that we are obliged to like certain films. I'm just saying tastes and cultures vary, and appreciations of certain films are different. You talk as though those are the only tastes we have, hence 'i am moving on and am more of a man who's more into the stuff of his date each time'. You're kind of going off track and mincing words. Of course, tastes vary and tastes grow. I like a lot of the films from my childhood, and I like a lot of films since. I dislike a lot of films from my childhood, and dislike a lot of films since.

AGAIN, I AM NOT JUDGING THOSE WHO ACT OTHERWISE, I am just saying that you must understand that not everything is taboo and no-go for all the people around you and that people can also NOT go bananas over the same stuff which you consider as such, gold, untouchable, pure, brilliant. smile

I do understand that. Again, you're mincing words. Where was it that I implied films like Back To The Future, Star Wars, etc. are untouchable? Where was it that I said people should like them? No where. Again, I repeat, I'm merely discussing (or gave one comment which spiraled out of control) the differences in tastes we each hold and to a degree the effect it has on us today. I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't think you disagree with me when i say that there is (not so much in this board perhaps, but more in other places and in the community in general) a strong tendency to jump upon anyone (particularly younger members) who 'dares' to go against those specific no-go territories, both movie and film music-wise.

As for the conversation you and Erik had, i am sure you remember. You even used the same word (patronizing). But that's not our subject here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There is some truth to that, I will agree (but with whom, that's up to you to decide I guess). I might joke about it, but I would never seriously "attack" someone for disliking a certain film. Just read my signature, it explains all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I prefer the LOLCAT one wink kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

As for the conversation you and Erik had, i am sure you remember. You even used the same word (patronizing). But that's not our subject here.

Well it is now! Honestly, I don't remember. I would appreciate a link so that maybe I can redeem myself... I find it hard to believe I was being genuinely patronising for no good reason. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No,no, you got me wrong. You said Erik was patronizing you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    No,no, you got me wrong. You said Erik was patronizing you.

Oooh, I see I see. My bad.

Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    JNH has a much more unique musical voice than McNeely, no matter how talented McNeely is. I acually find the opposite true, JNH is more musically interesting than McNeely to me.

Good for you! Zimmer also has an unique voice... so he must be more musically interesting to you as well. wink

-Erik-

A little patronising, but not too bad. Try and imagine that kind of comment aimed at you, I know for a fact you wouldn't react to it too favourably either! Still, apologies to Erik for quoting him here, he went on to make his point quite well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know, i usually don't react in the best of ways either. Me and you are very alike in some areas mate, maybe that's why we annoy each other from time to time, it's like talking to the mirror but trying to convince your own stubborn self otherwise wink biggrin kiss beer

(only i am always right and you are not, your are British, you like salt too much and you're usually wrong tongue )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I am NOT stubborn! angry

...oh, wait.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2008
    GOODFELLAS is the one of the very best examples of using popular music. The music changes appropriately with the changing eras and illustrates a point that an orchestral film score could never do, but then, Scorsese was at his masterful peak with this film and not one moment is out of place. A film score, no matter whom the coimposer would have been would have ruinned this film.

A few other films off the top of my head that use popular music to great effect imo are Trainspotting, Resevoir Dogs, Easy Rider. There are a lot more but I'm too tired to think now.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2008 edited
    Excellent examples there Timmer!

Spielberg's wonderful Catch Me If You Can also uses songs from the appropriate eras to great effect. It's quite right what lp said about songs being used to convey a certain setting or period, that's when they work the best! And having songs in films doesn't mean it needs to be a replacement for the score, but can work perfectly well with the score.

Songs do something to a film that a score can't necessarily convey, and of course the same is true for a score. It's just a case of the director and/or composer choosing the right songs for the right films for the right scenes and deciding whether or not to have score, no score or songs. (Which in all the examples we've given so far, have been excellent examples of this.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008