• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2008
    Steven wrote
    Excellent examples there Timmer!

Spielberg's wonderful Catch Me If You Can also uses songs from the appropriate eras to great effect. It's quite right what lp said about songs being used to convey a certain setting or period, that's when they work the best! And having songs in films doesn't mean it needs to be a replacement for the score, but can work perfectly well with the score.

Songs do something to a film that a score can't necessarily convey, and of course the same is true for a score. It's just a case of the director and/or composer choosing the right songs for the right films for the right scenes and deciding whether or not to have score, no score or songs. (Which in all the examples we've given so far, have been excellent examples of this.)

Agree!

I was just reading somewhere that THE BIRDS is going to be remade ( rolleyes ) , I wonder if it'll get a score this time?

p.s. Hitchcock made the right decision imo in not having any score whatsoever, makes the film superiorly creepy!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2008
    Hans Zimmer Reflects On 15 Of His Memorable Scores!

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20216261,00.html
  1. Timmer wrote
    I was just reading somewhere that THE BIRDS is going to be remade ( rolleyes ) , I wonder if it'll get a score this time?

p.s. Hitchcock made the right decision imo in not having any score whatsoever, makes the film superiorly creepy!

The Birds is supposed to be produced by Michael Bay...

Means Jablonsky for the music... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Rocks!! and you dont have to tell me I have Rocks in my head, Tom has already pointed that out. tongue
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DemonStar wrote

"We recorded the singing in the Solomon Islands. There are lots of horrible, nasty, creepy-crawly things that kill you in the Solomon Islands.''

biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    No,no, you got me wrong. You said Erik was patronizing you.

Oooh, I see I see. My bad.

Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    JNH has a much more unique musical voice than McNeely, no matter how talented McNeely is. I acually find the opposite true, JNH is more musically interesting than McNeely to me.

Good for you! Zimmer also has an unique voice... so he must be more musically interesting to you as well. wink

-Erik-

A little patronising, but not too bad. Try and imagine that kind of comment aimed at you, I know for a fact you wouldn't react to it too favourably either! Still, apologies to Erik for quoting him here, he went on to make his point quite well.

Geez. I should visit this thread more often. For more interesting than a lot of the stuff in the other thread. But I guess the name Hans Zimmer usually bring out some interesting conversations.

BTW, that comment above was suppose to be lighthearted but I can see why Steven took it as a patronizing remark... which it is as well. Sorry, I can be a dick some times.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's all good, I took it a little too much at face value anyway. rolleyes

And more interesting you say? In what way? biggrin
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2008
    Is anyone looking forward to Zimmer's score for Madagascar 2? It seems like most of his recent music has been good. After Kung Fu Panda, which was also a Dreamworks animated film, I'm optimistic. Of course it may not get a good CD release...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    DemonStar wrote

Interesting stories... glad he didn't get killed before finishing The Lion King biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2008 edited
    Panthera wrote
    Is anyone looking forward to Zimmer's score for Madagascar 2? It seems like most of his recent music has been good. After Kung Fu Panda, which was also a Dreamworks animated film, I'm optimistic. Of course it may not get a good CD release...

I expect almost nothing... because it's a sequel of a boring movie/boring score rolleyes

Even though I like Best Friends theme and Zoosters Breakout is a little addictive, I don't think Madagascar score was good either on album or in movie... but I'd say such a crap movie doesn't deserve a good score tongue (they could use pop songs and music from other movies in every scene and it would work.)
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Same here. Next. Pass.
  2. You forget The Burning Plain, probably much more interesting...
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2008
    I like Tai Lung's Escape from Kung Fu Panda (although all the music is great). I'm pretty sure that was by Hans Zimmer. It had an interesting theme (or motif maybe) that I think is used cleverly in the track and occasionally later in other tracks. Vague question, but based on that what other Zimmer music do you think I'd like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2008 edited
    Let's see if Madagascar 2 has some ethnic African vocals/instruments ala The Lion King. If so, I'm sold!! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DemonStar wrote
    Let's see if Madagascar 2 has some ethnic African vocals/instruments ala The Lion King. If so, I'm sold!! biggrin

I wouldn´t be very optimist. Keep in mind that Zimmer´s Frost/Nixon is coming almost at the same time as Madagascar 2. And I can guess which project Zimmer is more focused in. I expect lots of additionals in Madagascar 2 (well, the same thing that happened with the first one).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Time will tell wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Marselus wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I wouldn´t be very optimist. Keep in mind that Zimmer´s Frost/Nixon is coming almost at the same time as Madagascar 2. And I can guess which project Zimmer is more focused in. I expect lots of additionals in Madagascar 2 (well, the same thing that happened with the first one).

Frost/Nixon was apparently already finished earlier this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Molossus Vs The Kraken

I don't know wich is the worst composition, but I don't know wich is the most addictive

beer crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    Molossus Vs The Kraken

I don't know wich is the worst composition, but I don't know wich is the most addictive

beer crazy

I'm listening to The Kraken while typing... my guilty pleasure! biggrin

And methinks Molossus was the best cue of BB... tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DemonStar wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Molossus Vs The Kraken

beer crazy

I'm listening to The Kraken while typing... my guilty pleasure! biggrin

And methinks Molossus was the best cue of BB... tongue

Both are some of my most played cues ever! ( seriously! ) shame beer beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thomas wrote
    Marselus wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Frost/Nixon was apparently already finished earlier this year.

The score is finished already? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Marselus wrote

Yeah. The film was supposed to come out earlier in fact but they pushed it back so that it'd have stronger chances to harvest this years' academy awards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Sylvos wrote
    Marselus wrote

Yeah. The film was supposed to come out earlier in fact but they pushed it back so that it'd have stronger chances to harvest this years' academy awards.

Wow I didn´t know. I thought Zimmer hadn´t even started working on Frost/Nixon. In this case forget what I said about Madagascar 2; if he does it as good as he (and Powell) did with Kung Fu Panda, then I´m in!
  3. Marselus wrote
    Sylvos wrote
    Marselus wrote

Wow I didn´t know. I thought Zimmer hadn´t even started working on Frost/Nixon. In this case forget what I said about Madagascar 2; if he does it as good as he (and Powell) did with Kung Fu Panda, then I´m in!

Now, Hans is working on Madagascar 2...

Frost/Nixon is finished, so is The Burning Plain...

Last project remaining => Angels & Demons...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Hybrid Soldier wrote

That's what I'm looking forward to the most!! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Hybrid Soldier wrote

Strange, this one is not yet added to Zimmer's portfolio @ GSA... confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sylvos wrote
    Hybrid Soldier wrote

Strange, this one is not yet added to Zimmer's portfolio @ GSA... confused

I am sure it's added to his bank account though wink
  4. Hans Zimmer Reflects On 15 Of His Memorable Scores!

And, after reflection, was he able to come up with any? tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2008
    justin boggan wrote

And, after reflection, was he able to come up with any? tongue

Yes, The Da Vinci Code and At World's End. Ironically not featured on that list.