• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2008
    Southall wrote
    Thomas wrote

The Dark Knight
    Madagascar 2

Hmm. Sequels to two of the worst-scored films I've ever seen.

I can understand Madagascar (and Batman Begins to an extent) but I think he'll do better on TDK -- maybe we'll hear a more fully-developed theme this time around. But this is Zimmer we're talking about, we probably won't get an enjoyable Batman score until the third film rolls around.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2008
    Southall wrote
    Thomas wrote

The Dark Knight
    Madagascar 2

Hmm. Sequels to two of the worst-scored films I've ever seen.

Seriously? Batman Begins was appropriately scored and still was way more melodic than those for the director's previous efforts.
    Madagascar was a slapstick movie that got the score it deserved. Worse scored? Nah! Purely serviceable with a solid thematic base? Yes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Why the other composers never talks about Zimmer as a good and talented composer? Why no one admire him?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    lp wrote

Madagascar was a slapstick movie that got the score it deserved. Worse scored? Nah! Purely serviceable with a solid thematic base? Yes!

I'll refrain from further comment about Batman Begins (I've spent so much time saying I think it's dreadful, there's no point retreading old ground) but I don't think enough words could ever be spoken about how dreadful Madagascar is. It's a poor film, but the music made it so much worse. Tired, lazy, cliche-ridden, an affront to film composers everywhere. Nautilus, the reason other composers never talk about Zimmer is because he comes up with stuff like Madagascar (though of course he didn't actually have anything to do with that score - despite receiving "Music by Hans Zimmer" credit - which is probably another reason).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    And also because they spend years training, waiting for their big break to come along, and they see some no-talent hack assigned to Transformers or whatever just because he's Hans's latest mate.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Well, you gave Batman Begins a 2-star rating, which meant you found some merit in it. It's certainly no Elfman, Goldenthal or Walker effort, but there's certainly room for the theme to grow into something vaguely Elfman-esque. Maybe since Steve Bartek is co-orchestrating Zimmer's scores now we'll get that sound for TDK.

Jordi, Zimmer is a fine composer and even provides some really good scores on occasion. But he needs to get out of his comfort zone and try some new stuff... like actually compose an entire score by himself without his crew to help him out. Or get a score mixer that makes the size of the orchestra sound smaller than what it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2008 edited
    Matt C wrote
    It's certainly no Elfman, Goldenthal or Walker effort, but there's certainly room for the theme to grow into something vaguely Elfman-esque. Maybe since Steve Bartek is co-orchestrating Zimmer's scores now we'll get that sound for TDK.

Let's hope not! The last thing these Nolan-redo's of the franchise need, is an Elfman-esque sound! People tend to forget it's a complete reimagining of the franchise, going into a total different route for a superhero movie, and thus intentionally didn't get an obvious maintheme. It shouldn't be orchestral, melodic and all, and I have confidence Zimmer understands that. I do hope Zimmer will enrichen his established sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Matt C wrote
    Well, you gave Batman Begins a 2-star rating, which meant you found some merit in it.

Yes, no doubt. Predominantly disappointed because the film deserved more (though I acknowledge that it's probably more Nolan's fault than Zimmer/JNH that it didn't get it).
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Matt C wrote

Jordi, Zimmer is a fine composer and even provides some really good scores on occasion. But he needs to get out of his comfort zone and try some new stuff... like actually compose an entire score by himself without his crew to help him out. Or get a score mixer that makes the size of the orchestra sound smaller than what it is.

Confort Zone? I can't think any other composer that goes soo much out of his confort Zone.

Black Hawk Down, An Everlasting piece, Hannibal and Spanglish for talk about some of his "Out of Confort Zone scores"

You can count how many "The rocks" Zimmer has composed, and How many of the "others"...you will be surprised.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I really find so obvious that Zimmer is one of the maestros of our days (Williams ....I really find this so obvious, that this kind of let me more traditional oriented composers ahead...rather ridicolous. ( i don't mean powell, who really has this genius touch).
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2008
    Zimmer -- a maestro?! He has a ways to go before we can call him that.

As for The Dark Knight, will Zimmer record the score in London like he did last time? The music editor listed for TDK has a long resume of editing MV scores recorded in London... including Wallace & Gromit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2008
    What version of "At world's End" fanfarre do you like better?

A) Marry me. With trumpets over the strings, and fiddle playing a little jig

B) Drink Up me Hearties. With strings over trumpers and a kind of Erhu doing the fiddle job.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2008
    Nautilus wrote
    What version of "At world's End" fanfarre do you like better?

A) Marry me. With trumpets over the strings, and fiddle playing a little jig

B) Drink Up me Hearties. With strings over trumpers and a kind of Erhu doing the fiddle job.

Me too biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2008
    I watched "The Holiday" last night. What an awful score. vomit

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2008 edited
    moviescore wrote

mc

Hmm. Personally, I like that album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    moviescore wrote

mc

IMO It's not as good as As Good As It Gets or Spanglish, but it's still quite a breezy fun ride while working really well for the movie. Sounds great on album too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    lp wrote
    It's not as good as As Good As It Gets...

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Holiday and Spanglish are two scores i truly love, excellent, feel-good, warm music.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    A full two hours and 10 minutes long early cut of the film was due to be shown to Sony Pictures executives in Moscow. That version also would be sent back to Los Angeles for viewing by composer Hans Zimmer, who is creating a score for a film that blends Gulag and “Blade Runner” in the story of a 22nd century astronaut who crash lands on a planet run by a sinister totalitarian military order.
    Due for release across Russia on 1,000 copies probably January 1, 2009 and internationally within six months of that, the film is Bondarchuk’s second as a director.

-> http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout … 8&cs=1

-> http://imdb.com/title/tt0972558/
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    How many projects can Zimmer possibly do at once?

A lot if they're not all really by him wink
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2008
    Scribe wrote
    How many projects can Zimmer possibly do at once?

A lot if they're not all really by him wink

Sad but true!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Can Anyoe whisper the Cameroon border post descending string theme without take air ?

I can't! But Im aspmhatic.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Speak English, please. rolleyes
  1. Why does everyone rate prince of egypt so highly?

I am listening to it at the moment (after a number of run throughs) and i find it barely passable when its zimmer score, with no definable theme and less drive than most of his other scores, and most of the songs make it worse, including the awful boyz2men codswallop.

The only redeeming features for me are "all I ever wanted" and similarly "the plagues" both of which had help from schwartz. so many better other zimmer scores, why is this one rated so high??
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2008
    We don't listen to those boyz2man crap. wink

But, you don't hear Gods theme for example? One of Zimmers best themes!
    It gets the focus in The Burning Bush and later on in The Red Sea.

A very memorable and beautiful theme.
    And that's not the only one. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Yeah....there are several awesome themes in Prince of Egypt. My personal favorite is the "deliverance theme", and by that I mean the melody that the children sing in Hebrew in the film version of "When You Believe." It also appears two other times in the complete score, once performed by an adult choir and once by orchestra with no choir. I'm not sure if it was written by Zimmer or by Schwartz, but either way, it's tremendously uplifting.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. To answer your question, PRINCE OF EGYPT gets rated highly because there aren't enough great Zimmer scores to fill out a top 5 without it. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    franz_conrad wrote
    To answer your question, PRINCE OF EGYPT gets rated highly because there aren't enough great Zimmer scores to fill out a top 5 without it. biggrin

the top 5 and the rate are very diferent things.

Revell doesn't have enought good score to make a top 5, and people doesn't rate high his score .

Prince Of Egypt is highly rates because it's a masterpiece. If you don't consider Red Sea one of the most epic and memorable cues for the las 20 years, you are not from this world.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Nautilus wroteIf you don't consider Red Sea one of the most epic and memorable cues for the las 20 years, you are not from this world.

franz_conrad is an alien. shocked biggrin
  3. I'll join his species, its just mediocre compared other scores of his that I do like.
    If in doubt, let the wookie win