• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009
    Of course they keep the right as a composer, but the handling rights of the music later on stay in the company as the composer gets paid once, most of the times. I don't know the right words (royalties, rights and other legal crap) but you get my point i think wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Does anyone know of any other links of interviews with Zimmer pertaining to Thin Red Line?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009
    Looks like this is Hans' Sherlock Holmes soundtrack at Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Soundtrack-Sherlo … amp;sr=1-5

Why is it marked as an import?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009
    There are often multiple versions of big soundtrack releases, and Amazon sells imported versions as well as the regular US version.

For example:
    http://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Caribbean … mp;sr=8-11

Probably they put the foreign version up before the US version and that's what you found smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. Regarding Varese's release of It's Complicated:

Due to insufficient music in the final cut of the film, this release has now been canceled.

http://www.varesesarabande.com/upcoming.asp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009
    sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Mostly if you think about it that Varese some years ago released CDs with only 25-30 minutes of music on them. They actually completed Zimmer's quite short Frost/Nixon score with some additional materials from the early ideas, as it is on the CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's surprising they didn't know about it earlier, really. (There's also the case of Fierce Creatures, where Goldsmith recorded extra music specifically for the album because the score was too short to release otherwise - and I guess that's happened on other occasions too.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    And they released JNH's I Am Legend score which was largely unused in the film, it seems an odd reason to totally cancel the release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Presumably it must mean that only a few minutes of music were recorded. If he recorded a full score I'm sure they'd have released it even if only a small part was actually used (as with I Am Legend).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009 edited
    Scorefanatic wrote
    Due to insufficient music in the final cut of the film, this release has now been canceled.

If there was indeed that little music needed then Zimmer and co would have known in the first place so a soundtrack deal wouldn't have been made. Varese's statement is probably a calm and polite way of saying that the score was rejected.
  3. Sylvos wrote

If there was indeed that little music needed then Zimmer and co would have known in the first place so a soundtrack deal wouldn't have been made. Varese's statement is probably a calm and polite way of saying that the score was rejected.

There really seems to be something strange happening on that movie (wouldn't be the first time on a Nancy Meyers film... Something's Gotta Give had a rejected Silvestri score and additional music by Christopher Young in addition to the score by Zimmer and his team). Remember that JNH was supposed to be involved according to Stuart M. Thomas' webpage, before all the information suddenly disappeared from the page. I will have a chance to see the movie in a couple of days and will report back on what I find out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Talking of Silvestri, it's funny how this time around we have a Zimmer score canceled (or rejected, whatever), and a big Silvestri one released all at the same time.

Payback time? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    And they released JNH's I Am Legend score which was largely unused in the film, it seems an odd reason to totally cancel the release.

Maybe the score isn't worth it, after all apart the small running time that is, omething that JNH's very good score for I AM LEGEND didn't suffer from obviously wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I wonder how their "lively and romantic score" suddenly changed to "not worth releasing", then. tongue
  4. Scorefanatic wrote
    Regarding Varese's release of It's Complicated:

weird, first thing I heard about such a case confused
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Sherlock Holmes

Cover
    http://images.play.com/covers/12516923m.jpg

Tracklisting
    1. Discombobulate
    2. Is It Poison, Nanny?
    3. I Never Woke Up In Handcuffs Before
    4. My Mind Rebels At Stagnation
    5. Data, Data, Data
    6. He's Killed The Dog Again
    7. Marital Sabotage
    8. Not In Blood, But In Bond
    9. Ah, Putrefaction
    10. Panic, Shear Bloody Panic
    11. Psychological Recovery... 6 Months
    12. Catatonictes

-> http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/1251692 … duct.html#
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Those are funny - and weird - track titles. I like them!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm intrigued to hear this Holmes score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Panic, Sheer Bloody Panic

biggrin
  5. looks good, I'm sure it will become like nothing we expect in the end
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009 edited
    On the bottom of the cover it seems to read something like "Music Performed by" and next to it I think I see two names. That really bothers me coz that's not the way they usually credit *soloists* on covers, unless, of course, these soloists are the only performers...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Sylvos wrote
    On the bottom of the cover it seems to read something like "Music Performed by" and next to it I think I see two names. That really bothers me coz that's not the way they usually credit *soloists* on covers, unless, of course, these soloists are the only performers...

It looks like "Music Composed by Hans Zimmer" and "Music Produced by Hans Zimmer and Lorne Balfe".
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2009
    Sylvos wrote

No problem with that. If soloists contribute much to the score's character, say like the Joshua Bell works etc, i think they should be properly credited too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Christodoulides wrote
    No problem with that. If soloists contribute much to the score's character, say like the Joshua Bell works etc, i think they should be properly credited too.

Yes, but still their part is clearly acknowledge, like for example Violin Solos by Joshua Bell, Cello Solos by Yo Yo Ma, Piano Solos by Lang Lang, etc rather than just Music Performed By.

Anyway, Thomas is right, I think. I'm not sure why a credit like that has made it to the front cover though. I mean, is it going to change a customer's mind upon seeing that the music was produced by this duo?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thomas wrote
    Sylvos wrote

It looks like "Music Composed by Hans Zimmer" and "Music Produced by Hans Zimmer and Lorne Balfe".

That's what it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scorefanatic wrote
    Regarding Varese's release of It's Complicated:

What does "insuficient" mean in this case? Couldn't they package it with some songs from the movie? An album of 15 minute of score plus 25 minute of appropriate "romantic comedy" songs isn't a rarity nowaday....
  6. I'm thinking rejected too, since not only did SMT remove the mention of J.N.H. and Zimmer doing the score, but he also removed the credit from his credits page too.

It's about time Zimmer got a score rejected in this rejection happy environment.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.