• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2009 edited
    Thomas wrote
    Sherlock Holmes

Cover
    http://images.play.com/covers/12516923m.jpg

Tracklisting
    1. Discombobulate
    2. Is It Poison, Nanny?
    3. I Never Woke Up In Handcuffs Before
    4. My Mind Rebels At Stagnation
    5. Data, Data, Data
    6. He's Killed The Dog Again
    7. Marital Sabotage
    8. Not In Blood, But In Bond
    9. Ah, Putrefaction
    10. Panic, Shear Bloody Panic
    11. Psychological Recovery... 6 Months
    12. Catatonictes

-> http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/1251692 … duct.html#

Cool! Those track titles are hilarious. biggrin

The cover looks great too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2009
    Sylvos wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    No problem with that. If soloists contribute much to the score's character, say like the Joshua Bell works etc, i think they should be properly credited too.

Yes, but still their part is clearly acknowledge, like for example Violin Solos by Joshua Bell, Cello Solos by Yo Yo Ma, Piano Solos by Lang Lang, etc rather than just Music Performed By.

Anyway, Thomas is right, I think. I'm not sure why a credit like that has made it to the front cover though. I mean, is it going to change a customer's mind upon seeing that the music was produced by this duo?

Well, there are people who are generally knowledgeable on soloists and generally like to follow their works. If you're going to win a couple of more clients due to a know soloist's name on the cover (which costs you nothing really) then why not smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Sylvos wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    No problem with that. If soloists contribute much to the score's character, say like the Joshua Bell works etc, i think they should be properly credited too.

Yes, but still their part is clearly acknowledge, like for example Violin Solos by Joshua Bell, Cello Solos by Yo Yo Ma, Piano Solos by Lang Lang, etc rather than just Music Performed By.

Anyway, Thomas is right, I think. I'm not sure why a credit like that has made it to the front cover though. I mean, is it going to change a customer's mind upon seeing that the music was produced by this duo?

Absolutely, the more MV guys involved with a scorecthe less likely I am to buy it. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Anthony wrote
    Absolutely, the more MV guys involved with a scorecthe less likely I am to buy it. wink

Umm, but I think there is never *more* or *less* people involved. It's always the same army of writers, only each individual gets that official credit at random.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2009
    Produced By Hans Zimmer and Lorne Balfe.

I'm soooooo afraid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Nautilus wrote
    I'm soooooo afraid.

Yes, it is happening. shocked
  1. Balfe is producer of basically all the recent Zimmer scores, including Frost/Nixon (and is, with Zimmer, credited as its orchestrator)
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    He's never been credited on the front page before though. That must mean there's more to his involvement on this one than meets the eye.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Composers are usually not involved in the design of the cover art, are they?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2009
    Scorefanatic wrote
    Regarding Varese's release of It's Complicated:

Due to insufficient music in the final cut of the film, this release has now been canceled.

http://www.varesesarabande.com/upcoming.asp

I guess Nancy Meyers put too many pop songs so there are no room left for score cues...?
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  2. Miya wrote
    Scorefanatic wrote
    Regarding Varese's release of It's Complicated:

Due to insufficient music in the final cut of the film, this release has now been canceled.

http://www.varesesarabande.com/upcoming.asp

I guess Nancy Meyers put too many pop songs so there are no room left for score cues...?

I just saw the movie and there was probably around 45-50 minutes of score in it, all of it from Zimmer's team (only additional music credit was for Henry Jackman). My guess is that a more truthful announcement from Varese would have been: "Due to insufficient interesting music in the final cut of the film, this release has now been canceled." wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2009
    Sherlock Holmes is now available for pre-order at Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Holmes-H … amp;sr=1-1
  3. Daniel Schweiger on Facebook (in response to Ravi's question about it) says that Zimmer's score is "awesomely out of the box". We must remember though that he may not be totally objective, since his wife was orchestrating this one.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009
    Also, the score is being released a week early in UK (December 14th).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Daniel Schweiger makes even the worse sound like it is fantastic. Never trust him. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    Daniel Schweiger makes even the worse sound like it is fantastic. Never trust him. wink

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www.moviemusic.com/mb/Forum1/HTML/017269.html

I was reading this thread and while there are no prices for the digital download I assume it will be a lot less which raises the question do you think that this will be a trend? Yes you can get the CD but at a premium price.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009 edited
    Lower sound quality, lower price. wink

The CD is indeed unusually expensive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Weird. It's £9.99 in the UK (equivalent to about $15).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Perhaps it's more expensive at amazon.com because it's marked as an import (shipping costs included).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think that in the future you'll see a premium price for the physical item to encourage people to change.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    It's already happening...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If we're comfortable with something like a CD none of us wants change but it will happen. I've gone through many forms in my 50 years of collecting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Oh, I'm not against going digital download-only. In fact I see quite a few benefits of it. My grouse is that they try to replace the CD with lossy formats like MP3 and M4A. For me the only acceptable substitute is lossless format.

Oh well, Sherlock Holmes is getting a CD, so guess we can hold this till Disney announces Elfman's Alice In Wonderland to be MP3 only. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    Oh, I'm not against going digital download-only. In fact I see quite a few benefits of it. My grouse is that they try to replace the CD with lossy formats like MP3 and M4A. For me the only acceptable substitute is lossless format.

beer
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2009
    sdtom wrote
    If we're comfortable with something like a CD none of us wants change but it will happen. I've gone through many forms in my 50 years of collecting.

Yes, I was in HMV yesterday and they had reconfigured their space again. The compact discs section is now one quarter of what it used to be. So how many years it has left?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Tintin wrote
    The compact discs section is now one quarter of what it used to be.

If they don't have as many compact discs as they used to then how are they making money from their stores? Isn't compact discs HMV's means of making money?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DVDs and games now, and mobile phone accessories. That's the ticket these days.
    Old-style music stores are slowly changing into whole multimedia outfits (and rightly so: gotta move with the times!).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2009
    Hans' official Facebook page says the score will be released as a digital download on the 22nd, and the physical CD will be released on January 12.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2009 edited
    There is out there a song with Zimmer''s weird is good from Matchstick men.

It's a kind of chill out version with a woman singing in french.

Does anyone knows the name of the song and if Zimmer is credited?

EDIT

I find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zD9W9SZj9w

It is before or after??? spin