• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2009
    I am with you with most of the points made, but i really think you're giving Sherlock Holmes too much credit. If KING ARTHUR is on autopilot as you say (i just adore that Post-Gladiator, ballsy style which has been sadly abandoned by Zimmer, at least for now), then i really don't know how to characterize Sherlock Holmes' variations on one theme which is essentially variations on potc sneaky themes' left-overs.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. King Arthur IS on auto-pilot. I prefer Sherlock to Arthur. In fact, I prefer almost every Zimmer score to King Arthur.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2009 edited
    King arthur is honest, kick-ass Zimmer entertainment, big bold, shameless fun. I'd love it if ROBIN HOOD was to be scored like that...you know, like back in the Gladiator days when these movies by Zimmer got a totally shameless parade of Zimmerisms...nowadays, such scoring techniques would be flamed and thus reserved only for drafts and quick auto pilot crap scores for games...Sherlock holmes is tedious, repetitive and wholly uninspired. Aren't you annoyed by that theme all over the place again and again?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I would just love it if Scott's Robin Hood film was scored by someone like Wojciech Kilar or Ennio Morricone. The idea of Zimmer and his ilk getting their mits on it makes me want to puke.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, i'd love it too but if you see the trailer, it's like GLADIATOR II. And Gladiator had a great score, imo.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    King arthur is honest, kick-ass Zimmer entertainment, big bold, shameless fun. I'd love it if ROBIN HOOD was to be scored like that...you know, like back in the Gladiator days when these movies by Zimmer got a totally shameless parade of Zimmerisms...nowadays, such scoring techniques would be flamed and thus reserved only for drafts and quick auto pilot crap scores for games...Sherlock holmes is tedious, repetitive and wholly uninspired. Aren't you annoyed by that theme all over the place again and again?

No, maybe because the theme is so simple it actually works like an underscore? And I love that 18-minute tour-de-force. I DO agree with Jordi that it is a Zimmer highlight.

Now, King ARthur. I would have probably loved it if the score didn't have a big orchestra basically playing the same note in unison. Hans, you DID better before.
  3. Timmer wrote
    I would just love it if Scott's Robin Hood film was scored by someone like Wojciech Kilar or Ennio Morricone. The idea of Zimmer and his ilk getting their mits on it makes me want to puke.

Ridley Scott and Ennio Morricone or Wojciech Kilar? Are you kidding me? Such an assignment would have screamed rejection from the beginning. Don't you remember what happened to Goldsmith with Scott?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    King arthur is honest, kick-ass Zimmer entertainment, big bold, shameless fun.

Yeah, but I would prefer something a LITTLE more serious for ROBIN HOOD. Ridley Scott is not Jerry Bruckheimer. I liked Streitenfeld's more subtle AMERICAN GANGSTER score (especially his theme for Frank), so if it could be anything like that, only a little more adventurous, I'm a happy camper.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    But of course I do. Considering Scott's use of music he wouldn't deserve a score from composers of such stature.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009 edited
    <removed post - going to beat my head against a brick wall instead>
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    But of course I do. Considering Scott's use of music he wouldn't deserve a score from composers of such stature.

He certainly wouldn't, but his films lend themselves so much to the kind of wildly OTT scoring that finds itself in, say, Brian de Palma films it's astonishing that he's ended up with Marc Streitenfeld!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    lp wrote
    Southall wrote

What is it about King Arthur that makes it a unique score for that film which could not live inside any other film?

You mean within the same genre, right? Most Zimmer fans know that KA was pretty much a score on autopilot, following typical Zimmer conventions established for that genre since Gladiator...

I mean, given the argument, it wouldn't, and doesn't work for Sherlock Holmes as a transplant.

It certainly doesn't, I agree - but I was responding to a claim made by two posters above (which in my opinion is laughable) that Zimmer gives every movie its own unique sound in a way that no other film composer has done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    lp wrote
    Southall wrote

What is it about King Arthur that makes it a unique score for that film which could not live inside any other film?

You mean within the same genre, right? Most Zimmer fans know that KA was pretty much a score on autopilot, following typical Zimmer conventions established for that genre since Gladiator...

I mean, given the argument, it wouldn't, and doesn't work for Sherlock Holmes as a transplant.

It certainly doesn't, I agree - but I was responding to a claim made by two posters above (which in my opinion is laughable) that Zimmer gives every movie its own unique sound in a way that no other film composer has done.

I don't think anyone actually means that. Except the man. wink
  4. Southall wrote
    lp wrote
    Southall wrote

But, still. Look at this:

All Zimmer's scores for Scott are different

You won't tell me that Black Hawk Down sounds like Gladiator or that Matchstick Men sounds like Hannibal or, for that matter, that Black Rain sounds like Thelma and Louise.

King Arthur, Crimson Tide, The Rock, Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy are all Bruckheimer projects. You're talking about a guy who rejected Silvestri's original score for Pirates 1 for the huge crime called "because it had flutes". Pearl Harbor tried a different sound, which, while a nice album, totally sucks in the film (and that's not Zimmer's fault, he went against his instinct on that one).

Does The House of the Spirits sound like Regarding Henry or Driving Miss Daisy?

Sherlock Holmes totally doesn't sound like Angels and Demons - Da Vinci Code is similar to Angels and Demons for continuity's sake. Frost/Nixon and Spanglish or Holiday.

Last Samurai sounds like The Thin Red Line, I'll give you that. And how many of RC scores aren't even CREDITED to Hans Zimmer? Is it Zimmer's or Jablonsky's fault that Bay wants a specific sound? Batman Begins and Dark Knight was done for a director who has specific tastes (which is why I don't expect much from Inception next year).

The only composer who TOTALLY changed sounds in the middle of the same franchise happened to be Jerry Goldsmith. All three of his Rambo scores sounded completely differently (OK, same can be argued about Williams on Jurassic Park, but that was only two movies). And you would argue that in the end of his career Goldsmith also happened to have very similarly sounding scores.

Zimmer has a limited palette. That's true. I am not saying that he's trying to give every movie a distinct and different sound (he's HIRED because of his specific sound, too!). What I am saying is that the sound of the project is the first thing he invents, then the rest goes based on that. And it's not even a specific orchestration, it's just which instruments he'll use. That's how his scores sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    And almost every review for Sherlock I've seen so far (from the screenings and premiere) has praised Zimmer's score as being perfect for the film. Whatever it is like on CD, I would say it's not right to pass judgement before hearing it in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Film music magazine's interview with Hans - http://www.filmmusicmag.com/?p=4471
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    <removed post - going to beat my head against a brick wall instead>

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DemonStar wrote
    Film music magazine's interview with Hans - http://www.filmmusicmag.com/?p=4471

This is one of best Zimmer interviews I have heard.

Congrats to the people of filmmusimagacine.

"cd are too expensive, too many shorts cd's out there" punk I love you , Hans.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I wonder if Hans reads this board and is very scared?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Last I heard, Jordi has to stay at least 500 yards from Zimmer?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Doesn't sound safe enough to me. 500 miles would be more like it.
  5. Great interview indeed.
  6. I would encourage Zimmer detractors to listen to it. With Schweiger, Hans seems to be much more candid and less showy, tending to quit his bon mots and actually discuss stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I would encourage Zimmer detractors to listen to it.

Not sure what good that will do. I'm sure most, if not all, Zimmer 'detractors' know very well that he's a very chatty and likable character.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    He is! He's one of a few composers I could imagine sitting and chatting over a beer with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    He is! He's one of a few composers I could imagine sitting and chatting over a beer with.

Me too. He comes across as being a very nice bloke - always has.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Which is more than I can say for some of my very favourite composers.

Like Hans, I always get the same impression from Danny Elfman.
  7. He says some really interesting stuff that isn't anecdotal in character. Especially listen to the end of the interview.

The nice bloke thing is one of the reasons of his popularity among directors. James L. Brooks calls him "grace under pressure" all the time, saying that in a very stressful environment, Hans always calms it down and makes the sessions bearable for everyone involved.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I would encourage Zimmer detractors to listen to it. With Schweiger, Hans seems to be much more candid and less showy, tending to quit his bon mots and actually discuss stuff.

Yeap. I had the same feeling listening this interview. That's why I said it's one of his best interviews.
  8. His interviews with Schweiger tend to be the best. Also Schweiger wrote the best liner notes for a Zimmer album (Black Hawk Down)