• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009 edited
    Anyone heard the iTunes release of "It's Complicated"? What's the bit rate on that one?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2009
    lp wrote
    Anyone heard the iTunes release of "It's Complicated"? What's the bit rate on that one?

I have heart it. i think it's 320.

But I just have heard once. It's like Pereira's tracks for The Holiday (the ones I always skip).
  1. Well, it has heart too.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Well, it has heart too.

biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Southall's reviewed it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2009 edited
    Extract from the SHERLOCK HOLMES review over at soundtrack.net

(review here http://www.soundtrack.net/albums/databa … age=review)

"In the interview mentioned above, Zimmer says that he has given up on large orchestras because it puts a blanket over the music. Music can still sound massive without being massive, while bringing out solo performances as individuals make their instruments sing. Zimmer found his favorite soloists and went from there so the score would feature the emotion of the players in ways a large ensemble cannot."

(interview here http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/2009/12/16/ex … ck-holmes/)

So, this is the stuff we are going to be getting from him from now on? (although one cannot trust his sayings a lot, remember when he said he was going to take a year or two off?)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Large orchestras don't put a blanket over it if you know how to use them, but still.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    wink Exactly. What an odd comment. By that standard, Wagner must have been the worst composer ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've never really known why he used large orchestras anyway. Getting them to play in unison and then laying synths over the top also playing in unison, but mixing the synths louder, may be why it puts a blanket over it.
  2. Christodoulides wrote

"In the interview mentioned above, Zimmer says that he has given up on large orchestras because it puts a blanket over the music. Music can still sound massive without being massive, while bringing out solo performances as individuals make their instruments sing. Zimmer found his favorite soloists and went from there so the score would feature the emotion of the players in ways a large ensemble cannot."

So, this is the stuff we are going to be getting from him from now on? (although one cannot trust his sayings a lot, remember when he said he was going to take a year or two off?)

Over the movie. not over the music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Unforgivable.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. I think I know where he's coming from and, coming from his lack of musical education, stating it this way is somewhat unfortunate.

I think that he (right now, it may be a phase as he said with Daniel Schweiger, it's just another reinvention after he got bored with his recent ideas) says that you can get massive emotions with a set of soloists with a personal touch (like the Triology in Sherlock Holmes) and with big orchestras you lose the "personal" touch (string analogy would be the best - 50 violins sounding in unison).

He'll get over in two years, when he'll be asked to do some epic and agrees for it. Angels and Demons had 32 pieces only though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Getting soloists in, alone, doesn't guarantee anything good will surely happen. See SH for an example. A place where that recipe got to succeed almost fully, was BlackHawk Down.
  4. Well, that depends on multiple other aspects, doesn't it? The quality of the thematic material, the composition itself, approach to the movie. The recipe itself has nothing wrong in it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But of course not. But he seems to be fooling himself that tossing massive orchestras for smaller ensembles and / or soloists, automatically equals higher quality.
  5. No, I think what he says is that smaller ensembles and soloists let him more precisely influence the final performance and sound of he score, or to rephrase, he is more secure and sure that the score will sound finally how he wants it to sound (knowing the soloists' styles he can pick Triology for a comedy/quirky score and Joshua Bell for something like Angels and Demons or, had he scored it, Defiance).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It makes sense, given his limitations. He's much better when he doesn't try to use a big orchestra, in fact. It's just a sad state of affairs that the dominant film composer of the day is unable to use such a glorious tool as a symphony orchestra - so limiting to the type of film he can score well, but sadly not limiting to the type of film he does get to score.
  6. Well, Pirates 3 seems to actually have a huge ensemble and Spanglish list over 120 performers, as I once counted with a friend.

I must say that the attacks on Zimmer's versatility annoy me. He is so easy to attack, since he has no formal education and has a different approach to other. It's easy to name as a wrong one. Anyone can say that. What we tend to forget is that cinema has changed too in the recent years and Zimmer's style fits the modern filmmaking more than Rozsa or Tiomkin, how much I love them. In fact, of Golden Age, I believe that the only composer that would make it today very well, would be Bernard Herrmann. Nobody tries to see things from his point of view and nobody wonders what is he asked for. Thus, when Zimmer does the same, he's attacked. When Zimmer tries something new, he is attacked. I know that a lot of people (some on this very board too) would want Hans Zimmer to finally die (I am NOT aiming it at anyone personally) or get something debilitating that would make it impossible for him to make music anymore, but it doesn't seem to be the case here. It's easy to make jokes about him or stuff. Sometimes his music is not good, sometimes it is very bad even (Toys, King Arthur, Madagascar, Shark Tale, Modern Warfare 2), but first, except some projects (yes, I would add King Arthur here), Zimmer genuinely tries to give something to the films he scores. So cut the guy some slack and try to find something effective not only say he sucks, because he is Hans Zimmer

Sorry for that rant, but this has annoyed me for a while. On my website there was a discussion on the forum that in 10 years, Zimmer and Thomas Newman are finished and the biggest name will be Brian Tyler. With all due respect, I'd pick Zimmer any day over Tyler.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I love Zimmer's work in general, but mostly when it's bold, Zimmer-esque, grand, epic, cheesy. When he tries other things the examples can be glorious (for instance BHD) or suck (SH). I am sorry i cannot like everything he produces wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    It makes sense, given his limitations. He's much better when he doesn't try to use a big orchestra, in fact. It's just a sad state of affairs that the dominant film composer of the day is unable to use such a glorious tool as a symphony orchestra - so limiting to the type of film he can score well, but sadly not limiting to the type of film he does get to score.

It's amazing to me that people still think Zimmer writes traditional orchestral music and that he should be judged thereafter, when he has - in fact - never written a traditional orchestral score in his life. Not that I'm aware of, anyway. Just because he uses orchestral elements as colourization in a prog rock idiom doesn't mean he should be judged the same way we do Stravinsky, Bach and John Williams.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor, he did actually. The Thin Red Line, also Fools of Fortune and The House of Spirits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor, he did actually. The Thin Red Line, also Fools of Fortune and The House of Spirits.

Add Radio Flyer, The Prince of Egypt and Invincible (although this one may be Badelt´s work?) to the list.
  8. Yeah and As Good As It Gets, Spanglish and Nine Months.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Still, I see Thor´s point of view. Zimmer, as traditional as he tries to be with his works (the ones we´ve mentioned for instance) has always that thing that makes it Zimmerish, if you know what I mean.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

It's amazing to me that people still think Zimmer writes traditional orchestral music and that he should be judged thereafter, when he has - in fact - never written a traditional orchestral score in his life. Not that I'm aware of, anyway. Just because he uses orchestral elements as colourization in a prog rock idiom doesn't mean he should be judged the same way we do Stravinsky, Bach and John Williams.

Who thinks Zimmer writes traditional orchestral music!? Not anyone who has ever heard anything he's written. Not sure who your point is aimed at. MY point was exactly what you say - using "orchestral elements as colourisation in a prog rock idiom" is what makes him SO limited as a film composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    He is so easy to attack, since he has no formal education and has a different approach to other.

His education is immaterial to me, whether his approach is similar to others is immaterial to me. Danny Elfman has no formal education and I think he's brilliant. Ennio Morricone has a different approach to others and I think he's brilliant. The proof is in the pudding. If he's easy to attack, it's because people don't like his approach to film music. No more, no less.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    If he's easy to attack, it's because people don't like his approach to film music.

SOME people.
  9. I don't agree here. Why the hell did Horner have to refer to Zimmer in Avatar? I don't think that is an accident. Zimmer is not limited, because he treats orchestra as an instrument, but because he can't fully work in the orchestral idiom. Still, I would hire Hans Zimmer for every movie I'd make. Seriously. Another thing I am very sure of is that James Horner would get fired on day one. I usually like composers' approaches to film (how I would love Carter Burwell to get something like Kingdom of Heaven, Broughton do more work, I love Desplat's approach), but Horner is the person in Hollywood I trust the least.

The reason why I'd want Zimmer to work for me on practically everything is The Thin Red Line. Did you expect this from Zimmer? A largely organic score for an off-beat war drama? (let's not discuss the greatness and uniqueness of The Thin Red Line, which happens to be my all-time favourite movie). He was pushed forward by Malick to bring in his best work ever. Horner would be capable of doing it? No. Because he fails to communicate. Would Zimmer do a great score to Apocalypto? Yes, I think so. With Horner's approach - for sure (I wouldn't give him Braveheart though, so don't think I'm an idiot, which I guess you already do. Though GIbson was an idiot there. Reportedly said that he wants Horner to give him electronics and choir, to which Horner said "No, you don't". And the rest is history).

I don't think it's Zimmer's fault in the end when it comes to some projects. The success of the music isn't with Zimmer about his limits or not (if he is so limited, why then he is so hired? It's more than the popularity, did Zimmer have a commercial success with any of his Ridley Scott collaborations before Gladiator? Well no, those scores still don't have an official release in full, except four tracks on Black Rain and a 5 minute suite of Thelma and Louise). He gave Scott what Scott wanted. I actually think Zimmer's scores for Ridley are his most effective in the film (with his comedies, Lion King, Prince of Egypt, Crimson Tide and Driving Miss Daisy, why nobody talks about this one?). Zimmer either cares for his projects or he does not. He cared for Da Vinci Code (directed by Ron Howard, not entirely famous for his narrative subtlety), The Last Samurai (Zwick, also not famous for that, in fact the score would have worked much better if the final scenes were left unscored, something I blame on Zwick, not Zimmer), Frost/Nixon, the Batman movies (you don't agree for Zimmer's convention, that's what the director wanted and I agree with that approach, except final minutes of Dark Knight, which ended up too intense in the movie), Spanglish and a few others (Matchstick Men and Black Hawk Down for sure). So yeah, you can blame Zimmer for everything, which you do. He's so easy to pick on, but MAYBE it's not all HIS fault?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    limited .

We have been talked about this for so many years....and it still annoys me. How guys you can say Zimmer is limited?

How you can say that About a man who has composed so many diferent films, a man who has composed so many styles of music, a man who has been creative so many times????

Limited???? come on....think a little bit more with the brain and less with the balls. (This is so unfair that really makes me angry) And For God sake, leave your prejudice in your house!

Horner is no limited because he can compose for London Symphony Orchestra, this is it??? Ok, then Zimmer is a real shit. But this is only ONE way to compose, not the ONLY way. Horner is LIMITED , and if you can't say this, then you are not being objective ( I say Horner only because he has done recently Avatar, but we can say so many composers that only compose the same thing again and again..)

I don't want to writte names of Zimmer scores again, but you can check his discography, and even if you can disklike a lot of his scores you can't say is Limited. He is the most versatile composer ( I can only think about James Newton Howard being so versatile right now).

If you say He is limited composing descriptive orchestral music or complex orchestral music then I'm with you.