• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I agree with Jordi, though calmer... Not only one approach is valid. It's unfair to reject Zimmer's Gladiator score in the film, because it doesn't sound like Miklos Rozsa. Well, news flash, Rozsa has been dead for 5 years already and he would have been rejected by Scott anyway.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2009
    I'm a little late for the party, but I've listened to Sherlock Holmes on the Warner site.
    (it's nice to listen to a new album free without feeling guilty tongue )

It's weird, but weird is good I say wink
    The 1st track is addictive, but other tracks are not so memorable for me, except the weirdest 3rd track (what's the sneezing sound at the beginning) because it reminds me of Aleksey Igudesman's rendition of Turkish Rondo biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2009 edited
    About the theme, when it's played by trombones it's a really memorable theme. I can see this theme like a tune for a Tv Show based on Sherlock Holmes character. tongue

Oh! and you see? the power of the music! I knew "data, data, data" was the music played in the scene between holmes and Rachel Mcadams (wearing almost nothing). Because it was a playful and seductive piece, and I was right (You can see that in the video that poste HansZimmer.com)

But Why no one mentions the incredible 18 minuts track???????????????????

With this big orchestral crescendos, the broken arrow (ok, morricone) influence, the big horns and trombones from Peacemaker, the panpipies and fiddles from An Everlasting Piece and even the Big Ben tune played in an epic way ?????

crazy

this track deservers a place between : Chase from peacemaker, the ascent from k2, Woad to ruin From King Arthur , I don't think now is the best time from At world's End and A Dark Knight from The Dark Knight (talking about this one, it's becoming one of my favourites scores from Zimmer) !
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Oh I enjoyed that track. It's fun. But a bit too long?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Miya wrote
    Oh I enjoyed that track. It's fun. But a bit too long?

Well, perhaps he could arrange it like Angels and Demons ones. A little bit too much up and downs, probably.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I agree with Pawel here.

PawelStroinski wrote
    I know that a lot of people (some on this very board too) would want Hans Zimmer to finally die (I am NOT aiming it at anyone personally) or get something debilitating that would make it impossible for him to make music anymore

I wonder what good they think it will do. The man may not be immortal, but his music and influence over the film scoring field are. He's no longer scoring as many films a year as he used to, but the directors still dig his style and the RC sound in general and whether he is alive or not, future composers will be asked to compose in that vein if that's what the director wants. Gladiator, Lion King, PoTCs, Crimson Tide have all left their mark on the film scoring front, and it's here to stay regardless of whether Hans or even RC are still there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor, he did actually. The Thin Red Line, also Fools of Fortune and The House of Spirits.Marselus wrote
    Add Radio Flyer, The Prince of Egypt and Invincible (although this one may be Badelt´s work?) to the list.PawelStroinski wrote
    Yeah and As Good As It Gets, Spanglish and Nine Months.

While I haven't heard RADIO FLYER and INVINCIBLE yet, none of those qualify as traditional orchestral scores. THIN RED LINE is basically an ambient score, HOUSE OF THE SPIRITS and PRINCE OF EGYPT are part power anthem, part ethnically-tinged prog (with lots of orchestral elements to flesh out the sound, of course), AS GOOD AS IT GETS, SPANGLISH and NINE MONTHS are soft pop scores w/orchestra that could be a backing track of any given ballad. This is evident through beats, chord shifts, the way the orchestra "moves", which is very unnatural for traditional symphonic writing.

Still, I don't see Zimmer as limited. Quite the contrary. With his background and sound, he has been able to stretch his OWN envelope, not only across a myriad of different genres, but also within his own sound - from power anthems to ethereal ambiance to creepy horror dissonance to straight-out pop/rock/blues. Just because you're not specialized in 19th century romantic orchestral writing doesn't make you limited as a film composer.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It certainly means you're limited at writing 19th century romantic orchestral music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    It certainly means you're limited at writing 19th century romantic orchestral music.

Indeed. Why isn't ALL film music written in a 19th century romantic orchestral idiom? That would make for a far more diverse and exciting film music scene.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    See, now you're beginning to understand!
  2. Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor, he did actually. The Thin Red Line, also Fools of Fortune and The House of Spirits.Marselus wrote
    Add Radio Flyer, The Prince of Egypt and Invincible (although this one may be Badelt´s work?) to the list.PawelStroinski wrote

While I haven't heard RADIO FLYER and INVINCIBLE yet, none of those qualify as traditional orchestral scores. THIN RED LINE is basically an ambient score, HOUSE OF THE SPIRITS and PRINCE OF EGYPT are part power anthem, part ethnically-tinged prog (with lots of orchestral elements to flesh out the sound, of course), AS GOOD AS IT GETS, SPANGLISH and NINE MONTHS are soft pop scores w/orchestra that could be a backing track of any given ballad. This is evident through beats, chord shifts, the way the orchestra "moves", which is very unnatural for traditional symphonic writing.

Still, I don't see Zimmer as limited. Quite the contrary. With his background and sound, he has been able to stretch his OWN envelope, not only across a myriad of different genres, but also within his own sound - from power anthems to ethereal ambiance to creepy horror dissonance to straight-out pop/rock/blues. Just because you're not specialized in 19th century romantic orchestral writing doesn't make you limited as a film composer.

I beg to disagree. Nine Months is a Mozart rip,, basically. Which pop band would write a song based on the Clarinet concerto? House of the Spirits is more clasically inclined than a power anthem
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I beg to disagree. Nine Months is a Mozart rip,, basically. Which pop band would write a song based on the Clarinet concerto? House of the Spirits is more clasically inclined than a power anthem

It's been many years since I heard NINE MONTHS, I'll give you that, but I do remember the drum kit backbeat and the simultaneous chord shifts. It's basically in the same "fluffy" pop ballad mode that he uses in light dramas and comedies (not my favourite Zimmer sound, btw, since they don't play up to his forte). HOUSE OF THE SPIRITS also uses a pretty straightforward harmonic language. Slow, minormoded, majestic - not that unlike "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd or "Silence and I" by The Alan Parsons Project (which both use orchestral elements extensively).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    I agree with Pawel here.

PawelStroinski wrote
    I know that a lot of people (some on this very board too) would want Hans Zimmer to finally die (I am NOT aiming it at anyone personally) or get something debilitating that would make it impossible for him to make music anymore

I wonder what good they think it will do. The man may not be immortal, but his music and influence over the film scoring field are. He's no longer scoring as many films a year as he used to, but the directors still dig his style and the RC sound in general and whether he is alive or not, future composers will be asked to compose in that vein if that's what the director wants. Gladiator, Lion King, PoTCs, Crimson Tide have all left their mark on the film scoring front, and it's here to stay regardless of whether Hans or even RC are still there.

I'm not sure I do agree, as far as I know NOBODY would want Hans Zimmer to 'finally die', anyone would have to be seriously mean spirited to wish him harm in any way.

Now, if he took a long break that would be welcome ( by me wink ) but it wouldn't really work unless his clone army also took a huge break with him.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Actually me and Ravi do know a person who regularly asks if Zimmer is dead already.
  4. He once posted a joke about composers going to heaven on this very board.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Then that's rather sad I think and very immature.

Not someone on this site though, is it?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    He once posted a joke about composers going to heaven on this very board.

Gotcha, I don't think we even have to mention his name.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote

The Beatles?
  5. They would sample it, not rip.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steady now!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Is it so hard to figure it out? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. Actually, the guy posted on MT only once. Though Justin could respect Zimmer enough to spell his name right. Though he never could spell.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Is it so hard to figure it out? wink

If you read through all the posts you wouldn't have written this. rolleyes

pay attention D wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Miya wrote
    I'm a little late for the party, but I've listened to Sherlock Holmes on the Warner site.
    (it's nice to listen to a new album free without feeling guilty tongue )

Which Warner site? Is there a site where you can listen to the score for free?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    For BP:
    http://warnerbros2009.warnerbros.com/

Now I'm listening to Harry Potter 6 tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Miya wrote
    For BP:
    http://warnerbros2009.warnerbros.com/

Now I'm listening to Harry Potter 6 tongue

Wow! That's a treasure trove of free listening! Thanks a lot!

Miya wrote

And I guess I not only missed the party but I turned up 1 week late. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2009
    Was Sherlock Holmes session a big party with crazy musicians? dizzy

Crazy musician part 1:
    http://www.hans-zimmer.com/fr/newsite.p … d_news=723

Crazy musician part 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqoDH8KKV5U

mmm pasta! lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2009 edited
    You might like Hans, or you might hate him. But there´s one thing that is pretty clear: the guy has fun doing his job.

Edit: oh, and his studio looks warm and comfortable.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2009 edited
    But I prefer this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F6ad1MI … re=related

tongue

"give me more Tina!" Ohhhhhhhhhhhh yeah!She is not definetly Lisa Gerrard.