• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2009
    Yeah, anyone playing string instruments look awesome.

Especially when they are guys.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    But I prefer this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F6ad1MI … re=related

tongue

"give me more Tina!" Ohhhhhhhhhhhh yeah!She is not definetly Lisa Gerrard.

Oh Yes!!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Yeah, she'd get it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Miya wrote
    Yeah, anyone playing string instruments look awesome.

Especially when they are guys.

Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Marselus wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor, he did actually. The Thin Red Line, also Fools of Fortune and The House of Spirits.

Add Radio Flyer, The Prince of Egypt and Invincible (although this one may be Badelt´s work?) to the list.

Add A League of Their Own, arguably one of his most diverse scores ever.

I felt that Shirley Walker's help to the early Hans Zimmer scores made them more human if that makes sense.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2009
    KevinSmith wrote
    Marselus wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor, he did actually. The Thin Red Line, also Fools of Fortune and The House of Spirits.

Add Radio Flyer, The Prince of Egypt and Invincible (although this one may be Badelt´s work?) to the list.

I felt that Shirley Walker's help to the early Hans Zimmer scores made them more human if that makes sense.

Except Walker didn't work in A league of their own. The orchestrator was Bruce Fowler.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Nautilus wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Marselus wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Except Walker didn't work in A league of their own. The orchestrator was Bruce Fowler.

She conducted the score.

I listened to a Zimmer interview on his latest Sherlock Holmes score at FSM Online today. He still says that his favorite score in his body of work is The Thin Red Line. Of other composers, he still mentions Once Upon a Time in America by Morricone and Avalon by Randy Newman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Of course his favorite score from his own works, is THE THIN RED LINE. He will never be able to surpass it, from what it seems.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Of course his favorite score from his own works, is THE THIN RED LINE. He will never be able to surpass it, from what it seems.

Even a non Zimmer fan like myself would put The Thin Red Line in a list of greatest cinematic scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Glad to hear it. It's my all-time favourite score (in the movie too) and the reason why I have been faithful to Hans Zimmer as my favourite composer since day one (I started to listen to film scores in 1996 with The Rock, but the first soundtrack I've ever got was The Lion King and I ended up listening to the score more than the songs).

I am just thinking about the state of film music and the Zimmer influence on it. I must say that except some stuff, I like his approach to movies. Many people say he's dumbing down film music (in movies) to the lowest common denominator and I must disagree. I think he is not simplifying movies and in some cases his over-intellectualizing of movies leads to some of his biggest scoring blunders (Da Vinci Code, namely. How can you score three people talking in a house as if Apocalypse was happening on Earth? The movie didn't help either, that's not quite the most suspenseful premise ever brought to cinema, that's why Angels and Demons worked to me as a movie - the time issue made it cinematic and pushed the story forward). A highly praised composer who dumbs down movies to me is James Horner often. I feel that he tends to make scenes overly saccharine, though the fact that he emphasizes the orchestration too much. While he is a great thematic writer and his orchestral prowess is amazing, I think he thinks too much of the orchestration than the big picture and in the end his (on album wonderful) ideas of bringing the woodwinds the way he does (unlike anyone in the industry, John Williams maybe is not more restrained, but definitely more, hmm, mature) make the movies ultimately saccharine (through oboes and flutes mostly) to the point they shouldn't.

Where I think Zimmer is better than Horner? I am very serious here and I know that everybody here will stop treating me seriously as a director after I say it, but whatever. Let's throw the self-references aside, because everyone does that in Hollywood (Goldsmith and Williams too, Rozsa, Alfred Newman too) and the level of it is nothing to discuss when it comes to movie approach (even though Michael's remarks about four-note motif taking him out of the cinematic experience of Avatar were interesting). Let's also put the complexity of the thematic material aside. What sometimes bothers me with Horner as a film composer is that he tends to state his themes in full from reel one. Zimmer does it better movie-wise at times, especially when he tends to build up to the main theme through giving snippets of it and then blasting it in full. OK, John Barry did the same thematic approach for his movies - stating themes in full from reel one, but with him it works much better, because he understood silence. His scores were usually very brief in their movies and each use of the theme had a thought-out meaning. If we are supposed to have our scores all the time in the movie, I'd rather have the theme developed before its main statement.

That's what I think and I think that, while I am all for intelligence, musicianship and restraint when it comes to the usage of score (another composer of choice for me for some projects is certainly Desplat), I would love to collaborate with Zimmer.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Glad to hear it. It's my all-time favourite score (in the movie too) and the reason why I have been faithful to Hans Zimmer as my favourite composer since day one (I started to listen to film scores in 1996 with The Rock, but the first soundtrack I've ever got was The Lion King and I ended up listening to the score more than the songs).

It´s really curious. A lot of people, including myself, started to listen to film scores with Hans Zimmer, being The Rock and The Lion Ling ALWAYS the first two we mention.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. The other half started with Gladiator I guess lol (or Pirates of the Caribbean)
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2009
    I tend to think you either started with Zimmer or with John Williams, which in a way influences your further taste in film scores (or is an indication of your pre-existing taste). I myself started with Williams by the way (Jurassic Park). You rarely hear someone starting with a different composer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2009 edited
    BobdH wrote
    I tend to think you either started with Zimmer or with John Williams, which in a way influences your further taste in film scores (or is an indication of your pre-existing taste). I myself started with Williams by the way (Jurassic Park). You rarely hear someone starting with a different composer.

Well, if you took a board such as FSM ( I use it as an example because of the amount of active members there ) I think you'd find that people starting with Zimmer would be in a minority and you'll find most people came into film music through John Williams ( As you already rightly mentioned ), John Barry, Jerry Goldsmith, Bernard Herrmann, Ennio Morricone, Miklos Rozsa and a host of others. The Zimmer route seems to be filled with a much younger crowd which is certainly evidenced at this board.

There's many of us who started earlier, mine is the Barry scored Bond movies / Morricone Spagetti westerns, in my experience there seem to be a lot of film score fans of my age who came into the medium by that route.

John Williams garnered many fans in different decades, Jaws / Star Wars and later Jurassic Park and probably again with Harry Potter.

A lot of fans through Elfman's Batman too.

And as has been mentioned here, Zimmer's The Rock seems to have been a launching point for many.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I got both Lion King and Jurassic Park nearly at the same time, actually (TLK first, Jurassic Park about a week later). That's why those two composers are my top favourites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    BobdH wrote

Well, if you took a board such as FSM ( I use it as an example because of the amount of active members there ) I think you'd find that people starting with Zimmer would be in a minority and you'll find most people came into film music through John Williams ( As you already rightly mentioned ), John Barry, Jerry Goldsmith, Bernard Herrmann, Ennio Morricone, Miklos Rozsa and a host of others. The Zimmer route seems to be filled with a much younger crowd which is certainly evidenced at this board.

There's many of us who started earlier, mine is the Barry scored Bond movies / Morricone Spagetti westerns, in my experience there seem to be a lot of film score fans of my age who came into the medium by that route.

John Williams garnered many fans in different decades, Jaws / Star Wars and later Jurassic Park and probably again with Harry Potter.

And as has been mentioned here, Zimmer's The Rock seems to have been a launching point for many.

Indeed, most people come through Williams And Goldsmith, younger generations of fans come through Zimmer and most of them later move on. It's very surprising to observe only the most positive and strongest reactions to Zimmer's material - which gives birth to general interest and questions on his music and film music in general, when i teach and play them via examples at the college, among irrelevant-to-film-music young audiences.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    can anyone talk about Sherlock Holmes score, please? tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Nautilus wrote
    can anyone talk about Sherlock Holmes score, please? tongue

If you are a studio or record company exec please do not read the following comment:
    [spoiler]I think the score so perfectly reflects the spirit of the movie (as shown in the trailers) that I feel like I've already watched the film by listening to the score and seeing the trailers [/spoiler]
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2009
    Timmer wrote
    BobdH wrote

punk
    I would say that it was a mix bag of early 90s movies that did me in. Bad Boys and The Lion King had a very strong influence on me, along with the earlier appeal of Batman TAS and Star Trek TNG march. But they all kinda hit a peak with The Rock opening title music. I was a huge fan of Elfman's Mission Impossible at the same time that I gushed over Crimson Tide and Drop Zone. Ah.. the high school years....
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2009
    Just finished Modern Warfare 2. I have to say that it is quite awesome playing the game with Zimmer´s / Balfe´s score. The game itself is impressive on every level, but the music adds a huge dose of epic and drama. Zimmer´s adagios (a la Dark Knight), power anthems for the epic moments, great use of percussion for the Brazil level, (subtle) electric guitar riffs... quite surprised actually, given the bad comments I read by the people who had heard the game rip. As a game score, MW 2 has nothing to envy to any of Giacchino´s works, seriously.

Full score credits. As you see, some of the usual suspects wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Marselus wrote
    Just finished Modern Warfare 2. I have to say that it is quite awesome playing the game with Zimmer´s / Balfe´s score.

Just imagine what it would be like with something good! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I really enjoyed the game. The music didn't sound awful to me, though I wouldn't want to hear it on CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Well, the thing is that it IS good! Seriously, watching the White House / Washington on fire while you shoot from an helicopter with a Zimmer power anthem in the background is pretty impressive.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm afraid I'll have to take your word for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Nautilus wrote

We have been talked about this for so many years....and it still annoys me. How guys you can say Zimmer is limited?

How you can say that About a man who has composed so many diferent films, a man who has composed so many styles of music, a man who has been creative so many times????

Limited???? come on....think a little bit more with the brain and less with the balls. (This is so unfair that really makes me angry) And For God sake, leave your prejudice in your house!

Horner is no limited because he can compose for London Symphony Orchestra, this is it??? Ok, then Zimmer is a real shit. But this is only ONE way to compose, not the ONLY way. Horner is LIMITED , and if you can't say this, then you are not being objective ( I say Horner only because he has done recently Avatar, but we can say so many composers that only compose the same thing again and again..)

I don't want to writte names of Zimmer scores again, but you can check his discography, and even if you can disklike a lot of his scores you can't say is Limited. He is the most versatile composer ( I can only think about James Newton Howard being so versatile right now).

If you say He is limited composing descriptive orchestral music or complex orchestral music then I'm with you.

I completely agree with on this Jordi. Excellent points indeed! beer
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Let me sing Lullaby for you. Sleep well, Timmy!
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    I really enjoyed the game. The music didn't sound awful to me, though I wouldn't want to hear it on CD.

Do you play videogames? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

Do you play videogames? shocked

Of course!