• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2010
    And he "can't do electronic music"? What about House of Sand and Fog? Beyond Borders? Of course he can do it, if it's what the film needs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    How about Pirates of the Caribbean 3's final piece? The ending.

A fantastic cue, but I wouldn't call it as impressive as Horner's 'polyphonic' development of two of the major themes in Braveheart.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    And he "can't do electronic music"? What about House of Sand and Fog? Beyond Borders? Of course he can do it, if it's what the film needs.

Total agree beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Southall wrote

I am thinking more The Forgotten way of things, actually. That score had NOTHING live to it.

Beyond Borders fails to me with the purely electronic track - Cambodia II.

Dark Knight, Joker would get the four-note motif, no - he wouldn't get the movie.

Modern cinema is not only The Dark Knight, but also stuff like Frost/Nixon, like indeed Dark Knight. He just wouldn't get the anarchy against order message. He would simply go on about that Joker is dangerous (each of his appearances would be honoured by the four note motif) and OMG - Rachel is dead. Would he get the idea why does that lead Dent to become Two-Face? Not really, Horner is not really a good psychologist (you want great psychology - Frost Despondent and Nixon Defeated, and restrained, something Horner rarely does and is convincing in).

From all major composers I've heard using electronics - be it Goldsmith, Williams (he integrates his synths with the orchestra seamlessly), Horner, Zimmer, Elfman, Young, Tyler, Beltrami and others, Horner is the one whose synth sounds often border on saccharine and laughable. Very rarely Horner does them very well, a notable example is House of Sand and Fog, The Boy with Striped Pyjamas, Avatar.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FIELD OF DREAMS and THE NAME OF THE ROSE are two other nice synth scores by him. Now, why the hell are we having this MASSIVE Horner discussion in a Zimmer thread?
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Field of Dreams, yes.

Well, it's a bit of approach difference thing. Long story short, I wouldn't work with Horner to save my ass, because I think he overloads the movie emotionally and makes the movie saccharine. My composers of choice would be Hans Zimmer, Alexandre Desplat and the likes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2010
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Modern cinema is not only The Dark Knight, but also stuff like Frost/Nixon, like indeed Dark Knight. He just wouldn't get the anarchy against order message. He would simply go on about that Joker is dangerous (each of his appearances would be honoured by the four note motif) and OMG - Rachel is dead. Would he get the idea why does that lead Dent to become Two-Face? Not really, Horner is not really a good psychologist (you want great psychology - Frost Despondent and Nixon Defeated, and restrained, something Horner rarely does and is convincing in).

You might be right about Horner and The Dark Knight - you do make some good points. But he could record himself farting for two hours and it would be a more effective score than the one the film did get.

And Frost/Nixon - I dunno. Horner could have done that. He tends to go saccharine, no doubting that - but it's probably because he's asked to. There's nothing saccharine in House of Sand and Fog or Beyond Borders or Chumscrubber. Frost/Nixon didn't really need a score - Zimmer managed to avoid ruining the film, but I don't really see that he added a great deal. I'm interested in reading why you think differently?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Well, it's a bit of approach difference thing. Long story short, I wouldn't work with Horner to save my ass, because I think he overloads the movie emotionally and makes the movie saccharine. My composers of choice would be Hans Zimmer, Alexandre Desplat and the likes.

Now I've read "Hans Zimmer, Alexandre Desplat and the likes" I think I can safely die having read it all. Those gentlemen are both human beings with four limbs etc but if they have anything else in common I'm not sure what!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    A European heritage.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    FIELD OF DREAMS and THE NAME OF THE ROSE are two other nice synth scores by him. Now, why the hell are we having this MASSIVE Horner discussion in a Zimmer thread?

Mostly because it's amusing. Ultimately pointless as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2010 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Horner is not really a good psychologist

Did a pretty good job with A Beautiful Mind.
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    well, well, well I see It al DEVELOPED into one hell of a discation wink
    My next two cents:
    Horner Can or can't do electronics Music is just a matter of taste. The fact is that Horner writes music using paper and pencil, Zimmer on the other Hand use , well I don't exactly Know but I can't Imagine Him with Pencil and paper writing Music wink Anyway His synths not always Shines, I would say yhat Usually they're Not. I Mean when it is about integrate synths with orchestra Zimmer Usually Sucks (Especially in historic epics) and Horner Can Do that with real Grace(Bravehesrt, The Four Feathers.
    As for pure synth Music Horner isn't bad at all. Those mentioned examples: Beyond Borders, synths Works great in Movie on the Album they may not be to pleasent but lets face it This Whole Jocer Thing in TDK isn't Enjoyable as well. As for Horner potentially scoring TTRL, I Can only Think He Would Compose good and appropriate music for that One. Something in vein of HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG or THE NEW WORLD would Work.
    For TDK Horner wouldn't any wrong neither. I just Listen to FLIGHTPLAN and some of it would fit This Movie I guess.
    As for "Horner doesn't understand modern Cinema" . Well I Think It' a bad Joke sad smile Of course Cinema is changing so there are Movies out there Horner wouldn't score propertly or would have to leave His playground but that's it. Horner many times uses in His Interviews a word CINEMATIC. And I think that's exactly what His Approach is. I mean storytelling, pushing emotional buttons narrate things on the screen.
    Cinema has changed but not that much His Music Doesn't Fit it anymore and let's Hope it will Never change that much wink For Example for NARNIA 2 Horner Would make better Music in a Week and it Would be more appropriate that this modern approach. Let's Hope Arnold is going to change the mood for the 3rd instalment.

GONG ends another round of ZIMMER vs HORNER Fight wink
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    Thor wrote

Just to Give people some entertainment biggrin
  3. Steven wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Horner is not really a good psychologist

Did a pretty good job with A Beautiful Mind.

To me A Beautiful Mind is a proof that he doesn't do it well. He got an (ad nauseam repeated) theme for the "dark mind" of Nash, but then he went SO saccharine with the emotional/love/award material that it was too much.

Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

You might be right about Horner and The Dark Knight - you do make some good points. But he could record himself farting for two hours and it would be a more effective score than the one the film did get.

And Frost/Nixon - I dunno. Horner could have done that. He tends to go saccharine, no doubting that - but it's probably because he's asked to. There's nothing saccharine in House of Sand and Fog or Beyond Borders or Chumscrubber. Frost/Nixon didn't really need a score - Zimmer managed to avoid ruining the film, but I don't really see that he added a great deal. I'm interested in reading why you think differently?

He gave the movie a sense of motion. I basically agree with Jon Broxton's arguments on this one - the score kind of pushes the story forward (not a narration thing, rather adding to the visual narrative than becoming a narrative, like his score did for The Thin Red Line). Also there are two very good psychological pieces - Nixon Defeated (gives the final scenes some objectivity and compassion) and Frost Despondent. A few scenes were enhanced in my opinion by giving them a bigger sense of importance, and again a sense of logical motion (Research Montage, particularly). Watergate is one of Zimmer's best main title cues, also in the movie (I don't think the combination of Frank Langella and Watergate stock material would be so effective without music).

House of Sand and Fog maybe isn't saccharine, but the final scenes are a bit too much. Admittedly, no other composer would make it better - Perelman admitted that it was his fault.

There are Zimmer's psychological scores, which don't work for numerous reasons and don't think they are always dependant on Zimmer himself. Case in point - The Last Samurai. Album against movie is indeed a great example here. On the album we get Zimmer's (rather good too!) idea at hand - it's a score about Algren's (Tom Cruise, reportedly Zimmer refused to call Cruise otherwise than "Nathan Algren") vision of Japan and Zimmer's simplicity is his vision of the Japanese culture (also cutting all "colours" - to use Horner's - and Zimmer's own in this case - terminology, that's why no woodwinds). It also shows Zimmer's way of seeing the orchestra - if you listen to the score carefully, the koto takes over for harp and shakuhachi and solo flute take over for the whole wind section of the score. In the movie the score gets so over the top at times, but I must say that in two instances (or to be precise, one long instance) I rather blame Zwick on the faults than Hans himself (Zwick isn't a subtle narrator and it would be MUCH better if the final charge AND final scene were left unscored, it doesn't sound really saccharine, but turns the movie into kitsch). The same goes for Da Vinci Code, but again - Ron Howard isn't a subtle narrator as well. The album is great (one of Zimmer's best of the decade), but the idea of scoring three guys in a house talking like Apocalypse was happening is... not amusing.
  4. Roy wrote
    well, well, well I see It al DEVELOPED into one hell of a discation wink
    My next two cents:
    Horner Can or can't do electronics Music is just a matter of taste. The fact is that Horner writes music using paper and pencil, Zimmer on the other Hand use , well I don't exactly Know but I can't Imagine Him with Pencil and paper writing Music wink Anyway His synths not always Shines, I would say yhat Usually they're Not. I Mean when it is about integrate synths with orchestra Zimmer Usually Sucks (Especially in historic epics) and Horner Can Do that with real Grace(Bravehesrt, The Four Feathers.
    As for pure synth Music Horner isn't bad at all. Those mentioned examples: Beyond Borders, synths Works great in Movie on the Album they may not be to pleasent but lets face it This Whole Jocer Thing in TDK isn't Enjoyable as well. As for Horner potentially scoring TTRL, I Can only Think He Would Compose good and appropriate music for that One. Something in vein of HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG or THE NEW WORLD would Work.
    For TDK Horner wouldn't any wrong neither. I just Listen to FLIGHTPLAN and some of it would fit This Movie I guess.
    As for "Horner doesn't understand modern Cinema" . Well I Think It' a bad Joke sad smile Of course Cinema is changing so there are Movies out there Horner wouldn't score propertly or would have to leave His playground but that's it. Horner many times uses in His Interviews a word CINEMATIC. And I think that's exactly what His Approach is. I mean storytelling, pushing emotional buttons narrate things on the screen.
    Cinema has changed but not that much His Music Doesn't Fit it anymore and let's Hope it will Never change that much wink For Example for NARNIA 2 Horner Would make better Music in a Week and it Would be more appropriate that this modern approach. Let's Hope Arnold is going to change the mood for the 3rd instalment.

GONG ends another round of ZIMMER vs HORNER Fight wink

Well, James Horner would score The Chronicles of Narnia perfectly. When it comes to storytelling - that's the thing I have with Horner, he doesn't tell me stories. I think the closest to it is maybe Legends of the Fall actually.

That's the thing - except the Troy situation - Horner would be perfect for some epics. Narnia in particular (let's leave Lord of the Rings to Howard Shore - he did it perfectly). Avatar is perfect in the movie - I think it's his best (as heard in film) score since... Enemy at the Gates (an underrated work for me)? And Enemy at the Gates has my favorite piece of Horner in 2000s - The River Crossing in Stalingrad. If I had to pick a Horner piece which sounds like a full symphonic movement - that's it! Nothing disjointed, everything perfectly developed (the themes are heard in full already, but I mean the voice leading, the string writing, the orchestration), logical, thought out. These are the pieces only James Horner can write. The thing is that, in this particular case, the piece works great in the movie (so does Samuel's Death from Legends of the Fall, possibly my favorite James Horner piece at all!), in many cases all this development sounds very bad in the movie.
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    OK
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Well, James Horner would score The Chronicles of Narnia perfectly. When it comes to storytelling - that's the thing I have with Horner, he doesn't tell me stories. I think the closest to it is maybe Legends of the Fall actually.

But He tells Stories it To Me andd To so many others as well. (I Even Think He is One Of the Best Storyteller amoung Composers) So You might Be Just an exeption from the Rule Paweł tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think Zimmer is the new Brad Fiedel, breaking a lance for electronic music to be employed in ways unheard of before. It's fairly obvious when you give it a good comparison: Zimmer has that same tendency towards multi-level electronic harmonies on relentless rhythmic devices which underscore the underlying metaphor.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    Yeah, But when it comes to Combine all His synths with orchestra it doesn't usually come out very well, IMHO wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Exactly!
    That is just the point. It's a very comparable stylistic.
    It just counterpoints the surrealism of the thing!

I think that's brilliant!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Because we can.

Totally agree with you on those two scores, both are excellent and work perfectly in their respective films.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Roy wrote
    OK
    PawelStroinski wrote

But He tells Stories it To Me andd To so many others as well. (I Even Think He is One Of the Best Storyteller amoung Composers) So You might Be Just an exeption from the Rule Paweł tongue

Or you may be as well. I've never seen a review mentioning Horner's storytelling on album. It may be the case that his albums are overloaded (70+ minutes), which might be Rhodes' fault. It's a case of sequencing an album.

Also Horner does everything to hide the story with his tracktitles.
  6. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Because we can.

Totally agree with you on those two scores, both are excellent and work perfectly in their respective films.

Horner himself hates The Name of the Rose and I must say I turned it off after track one. Does anybody know something about the process? In one seminar, Horner said that he doesn't want another Aliens and Name of the Rose.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Because we can.

Horner himself hates The Name of the Rose and I must say I turned it off after track one. Does anybody know something about the process? In one seminar, Horner said that he doesn't want another Aliens and Name of the Rose.

Having watched the film recently I was struck by how well James Horner's anachronistic score worked so well. I couldn't give a toss that Horner hates his The Name of The Rose score, film music history is full of scores that our beloved composers hate but are fan favourites, so nothing new there. As for ALIENS I suspect Horner may have been talking about his working relationship with James Cameron which lead to them falling out until TITANIC brought them back together well over a decade later.

Having said that I personally feel that The Name of The Rose would have had a classic score had John Barry or Georges Delerue scored it, both of whom are masters of choral scoring which is a direction I believe both composers would have taken.
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Roy wrote
    OK
    PawelStroinski wrote

Or you may be as well. I've never seen a review mentioning Horner's storytelling on album. It may be the case that his albums are overloaded (70+ minutes), which might be Rhodes' fault. It's a case of sequencing an album.

I don't look for a storytelling in reviews but in soundtracks, anyway I don't remember a review underline storytelling. I may speak for myself that most of Horner's soundtracks( especially the long ones ) gives me this feeling of storytelling. I find His music just sems like flow from the beginnig to the end. As for track titles I don't know what You mean, because Horner has great titles IMO and whats important quite unique sometimes. From other Composers I Can think of Giacchino who has great tracktitles as well. (Zimmer doesn't have those bad, as well wink )
    Anyway Some of You Know Who invent track titles in soundtracks ?
  7. It also could have had a darker twist on the medieval sound, something Serge Franklin did with his L'Enfant des Loups score.

When it comes to the Aliens situation, the fallout was due to Horner coming to the movie just to see that the movie hasn't been done yet. The intensity of the collaboration was due to two things, I think: first is Cameron, who is a hard collaborator himself (his usual perfectionism) and Horner struggling with an undone film and having two weeks to score it. The fact that parts of his score were unused and replaced with either (ironically) Goldsmith's Alien score and a token snare rhythm for the Combat Drop sequence didn't help too.

One of the reasons of them making up was the fact that Cameron adored Horner's Braveheart score. Just so you guys know, I think Braveheart is one of cinema's greatest scores (and an example of score that was written totally against the director - Gibson originally said that he wanted an electronic-choral score, to which Horner responded with a short: "No, you don't" and went on to write his thing).

Back to Horner as a storyteller. Horner does use snippets of his themes, but only after they are fully developed. He also uses variations of his themes, as a respectable orchestral composer - often it's putting his major-key themes in minor key (Perfect Storm and Enemy at the Gates being the very notable examples, Windtalkers theme, while good, is so simplistic that it is unable to variate on it), uses them in different time signatures (alternating 4/4 and 3/4 often). Enemy at the Gates uses the main themes in full glory (ie. orchestral arrangements) often only from Betrayal, but it must be said that the theme is already used first in the wonderful first track of the score.

An interesting thing about Horner is the voice leading. My personal analyses of his writing (may be wrong, I am not a musicologist, all my music theory was self-taught from a book for beginners, mind you!) led me to the conclusion that it may lead to his repetitions: if you write a complex piece for strings, you have to write a different part for each instrument, which there is five of in a string section (make it 6, Horner often uses violas in a fashion that makes half of the section play one part, the other half another one, Demetris and others may tell more of the "divisi" technique, I caught that when I listened to Horner's directions to the orchestra in a Troy bootleg), you must repeat an older melody in one of the parts. It is not so shocking then if you have celli playing a motif from Patriot Games and violas playing a motif from, say, Titanic. Also, even if I am often annoyed by its usage, especially in Avatar, the four-note motif must be PURELY seen (I think) as one of the voices. The fact that it is so evident iis due to the used instrument. Trumpet is an instrument you'll notice always and everywhere, we wouldn't be talking about it so much if the motif was performed by trombones, a tuba or a French horn!

To Zimmer's Frost/Nixon score: One of the reasons why the score works so well is, I think, the fact that in general the score serves not only to give some kind of minimalistic flow (the motion thing I said earlier), but also, in general, gives the film a sense of understated, though still present, urgency. It is helped by the fact that Zimmer doesn't give each scene what James called "making the most important scene in the movie", which is something Zimmer overdid multiple times in his post-Gladiator scores (action movies aside, his 1990s works don't have that).
  8. Roy wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Roy wrote
    OK
    PawelStroinski wrote

I don't look for a storytelling in reviews but in soundtracks, anyway I don't remember a review underline storytelling. I may speak for myself that most of Horner's soundtracks( especially the long ones ) gives me this feeling of storytelling. I find His music just sems like flow from the beginnig to the end. As for track titles I don't know what You mean, because Horner has great titles IMO and whats important quite unique sometimes. From other Composers I Can think of Giacchino who has great tracktitles as well. (Zimmer doesn't have those bad, as well wink )
    Anyway Some of You Know Who invent track titles in soundtracks ?

It depends on the score, I think. A funny track title often works for the orchestra. Giacchino's track titles are reportedly (Erik?) given by his music editor during the sessions. I think Zimmer invents his alone (or with his minions, though he is the sole producer of the score usually). Sometimes Horner's track titles are, hmm, very poetic, which leads to jokes (my website members tend to name one of Avatar's track "the porn track" due to the title - "Becoming One of the People, Becoming One with Neytiri").
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    It seems that I'm the only one who find Giacchino's track titles with the humour of a twelve year old rather embarrassing.

Pissing on someone's head... ahahahahaah... how incredible funny. The guy who came up with such names has to be a genius... ahahahahaha give him the Pulitzer prize please.... ahhahahaha rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anyone who references old Loony Toons cartoons in his track titles can do no wrong with me.

(Incidentally, the Pullitzer is a journalism prize. Not a creative writing prize.
    That said, though, Joe Pullitzer -together with Randolph Hearst- was one of the pioneers in rampant tabloid article writing and sensationalist headlines. So in that respect, the reference is actually rather apt! dizzy )
    This was a Martijn Public Pedantic Announcement
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    The Pulitzer Prize is also given for writing and music... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Antineutrino wrote
    The Pulitzer Prize is also given for writing and music... wink

Hey! So it is.

What kind of sense does that make? confused

(Edit: after reading some more, it makes the kind of sense that any nouveau riche with a desperate need to be taken seriously would make: use your money, gotten through questionable methods and with questionable motives, to buy respectability.
    Ah well.
    Plus ça change...)