• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I am not denying that Horner is a TALENTED composer. What I am saying (and what sometimes disturbs me as a future director) is that his education is sometimes first to his film scoring instinct (and I know how hard it is to score a scene, I tried).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Review of Sherlock Holmes is now available, whether you like it or not

- Sherlock Holmes
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2010
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I am not denying that Horner is a TALENTED composer. What I am saying (and what sometimes disturbs me as a future director) is that his education is sometimes first to his film scoring instinct (and I know how hard it is to score a scene, I tried).

OK. so I understand Your Opinion. Here's Mine: Horner's scoring instincts serves a Cinema as good or better than most of movie composers (including Hans Zimmer)
  3. Roy wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I am not denying that Horner is a TALENTED composer. What I am saying (and what sometimes disturbs me as a future director) is that his education is sometimes first to his film scoring instinct (and I know how hard it is to score a scene, I tried).

OK. so I understand Your Opinion. Here's Mine: Horner's scoring instincts serves a Cinema as good or better than most of movie composers (including Hans Zimmer)

careful what you say around here of Zimmer Roy, you might get into trouble really soon wink

we all have our own personal taste on that, I think Zimmer and Horner have already proven themselves aplenty
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

careful what you say around here of Zimmer Roy, you might get into trouble really soon wink

we all have our own personal taste on that, I think Zimmer and Horner have already proven themselves aplenty

wink nothing against Zimmer from my side, I value His Contribution to Cinema and many of His scores. He Is even one of my favourite movie composer, Really. What I do is just defend Horner's Movie scoring abilities wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Nautilus wrote
    Zimmer is working a lot. He is scoring very interesting projects. He is doing new things. he is being Crazy.

And I love Zimmer.

So, you can talk all what you want....

ZIMMER RULES!

This is the first short, clear and true post in this thread... biggrin
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    Thomas wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Zimmer is working a lot. He is scoring very interesting projects. He is doing new things. he is being Crazy.

And I love Zimmer.

So, you can talk all what you want....

ZIMMER RULES!

This is the first short, clear and true post in this thread... biggrin

Yeah, after all It's Hans Zimmer's Thread so He Rules ! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorLars
    to be honest, i'm a little bit tired of zimmer scores because there are too much of them. most of his scores got an official release and all 5-6 month we get a new one. i have no pleasant anticipation of a new zimmer score because there is nothing really new in his composition. too much repetiton in a too short distance. the same with john powell. it's different with klaus badelt or trevor rabin. the best example is the action style of all 3 composers. we heard zimmer's action style in MADAGASCAR 2, ANGELS AND DEMONS and SHERLOCK HOLMES. only 6 month between every score and all 3 scores got an official release. badelt's last action score with an official score release was POSEIDON, 2 years ago. the next one perhaps is SOLOMON KANE. rabin's last one with an official release was RACE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN. his next film is THE SORCERER'S APPRENTICE. 1 1/2 year between these two movies. i'm looking forward to badelt's and rabin's action stuff because i like their music and the last official release is too long ago. I'm looking more forward to a new rabin or badelt score than to a new zimmer score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Lars wrote
    to be honest, i'm a little bit tired of zimmer scores because there are too much of them. most of his scores got an official release and all 5-6 month we get a new one. i have no pleasant anticipation of a new zimmer score because there is nothing really new in his composition. too much repetiton in a too short distance. the same with john powell.

Exactly my point. Only when he scores he big-ass traditional epic war / thriller scores is when i'm excited. When he goes 'intelligent', all we get is fewer instrumental ensembles' Zimmerisms and on colorful instrumentations / arrangements that don't really fit those very Zimmerisms.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    i like his music for all different genres but he should only score 1 or 2 movies a year. perhaps in this way:

year 1: action, comedy
    year 2: drama, thriller, animation
    year 3: war

not every movie gets a score release.

and not this way:

year 1: action, war, thriller (all three with parts of his action style)
    year 2: drama, comedy, thriller, action
    year 3: animation, action, comedy

and all movies will get a score release.

all styles in a too short time. it's boring
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote

We can't make them into rules of any kind. Some stuff works, other doesn't according to each case each time, and so forth.

Agreed. As far as in Spielberg's view, he is always pleased with John Williams because of his ability of retelling the story of a movie through his musical composition. Of course, each individual differs from other. As you said, nodbody can't lay down the rules to any composer in the world. But composer have uphill task to please the people like filmmakers and audiences.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2010 edited
    Lars wrote
    to be honest, i'm a little bit tired of zimmer scores because there are too much of them. most of his scores got an official release and all 5-6 month we get a new one. i have no pleasant anticipation of a new zimmer score because there is nothing really new in his composition. too much repetiton in a too short distance. the same with john powell. it's different with klaus badelt or trevor rabin. the best example is the action style of all 3 composers. we heard zimmer's action style in MADAGASCAR 2, ANGELS AND DEMONS and SHERLOCK HOLMES. only 6 month between every score and all 3 scores got an official release. badelt's last action score with an official score release was POSEIDON, 2 years ago. the next one perhaps is SOLOMON KANE. rabin's last one with an official release was RACE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN. his next film is THE SORCERER'S APPRENTICE. 1 1/2 year between these two movies. i'm looking forward to badelt's and rabin's action stuff because i like their music and the last official release is too long ago. I'm looking more forward to a new rabin or badelt score than to a new zimmer score.

I don't know. I find this complaint about Zimmer being so prolific sounds like a hag's nag: "bitch, bitch, bitch..." But seriously, Madagascar has the same action as A&D and SH? Stop smoking whatever it is that you're smoking.
    What's so new about Rabin? I've stopped listening to Rabin's action stuff since he turns out (ha ha) the same action style over and over again, with the same loops and patches. Witch Mountain has the same sound as Get Smart, but without the guitar theme. You can't say that about Sherlock Holmes vs A&D vs TDK. Same guy writing, but differing sound and approaches.

But I am looking forward to hearing what Rabin has to offer "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" though since it seems to be a genre mixing movie.

And what about Klaus Badelt? Sure he's doing interesting movies in the last couple years, but does the fact that his music remain unreleased makes it more worth while to listen to? Don't get me wrong, I like Klaus, and I want to hear his music, but if he's choosing to do movies outside the Hollywood system, it's gonna be hard to get a CD released in the US market.

BTW, here a list of movies that Zimmer scored in 2009, courtesy of IMDB.com

# Sherlock Holmes (2009)
    # It's Complicated (2009)
    # Angels & Demons (2009)

And in 2008
    # Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa (2008)
    # Frost/Nixon (2008)
    # The Burning Plain (2008)
    # The Dark Knight (2008)
    # Kung Fu Panda (2008)
    # Casi divas (2008)

Note that The Burning Plain and Casi Divas didn't get any score release.

And in 2007
    # The Simpsons Movie (2007)
    # Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)

And in 2006
    # The Holiday (2006)
    # Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)
    # The Da Vinci Code (2006)

And in 2005
    # The Weather Man (2005) (no CD release for this )
    # Der kleine Eisbär 2 - Die geheimnisvolle Insel (2005) (he did mostly additional music and the score was released in Europe only)
    # Batman Begins (2005)
    # Madagascar (2005)

See the bigger picture? Vastly different scores being in a year. Only in 2008 that he got 6 scores with his name on it, and they all features different version of Zimmer doing different genres of movie. Should he score less movie so you could be surprised that he still has range?

So I have a simple solution for you, don't buy every Zimmer score that is released. I try to listen to other composer's work too so I don't lack variety.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    i think the reason are the many score releases and his action stuff. he has different action styles. but since 2004 he composed a score every year with the same action style. KING ARTHUR, PIRATES 2, PIRATES 3, KUNG FU PANDA, THE DARK KNIGHT and MADAGASCAR 2. it's not exactly the same but they are very similar. all these scores got an official release and i have 5 of them. it's good action music and a nice listen but to be honest for me there are no surprises. ANGELS AND DEMONS was a surprise because this action style is old school zimmer action style, the last time heard in THE PEACEMAKER. it's different with badelt and rabin, because of the limited score releases. in their case i can say: it would be cool if i could buy a new badelt or rabin score because the last one is 2 years ago. in zimmer's case it's only 6 month ago. at the moment i'm not really interested in IT'S COMPLICATED, SHERLOCK HOLMES and INCEPTION. that are 3 different movies but we heard those styles of music on cd not a long time ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Review of Sherlock Holmes is now available, whether you like it or not

- Sherlock Holmes

Why there is no review on Avatar?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Lars wrote
    i think the reason are the many score releases and his action stuff. he has different action styles. but since 2004 he composed a score every year with the same action style. KING ARTHUR, PIRATES 2, PIRATES 3, KUNG FU PANDA, THE DARK KNIGHT and MADAGASCAR 2. it's not exactly the same but they are very similar. all these scores got an official release and i have 5 of them. it's good action music and a nice listen but to be honest for me there are no surprises. ANGELS AND DEMONS was a surprise because this action style is old school zimmer action style, the last time heard in THE PEACEMAKER. it's different with badelt and rabin, because of the limited score releases. in their case i can say: it would be cool if i could buy a new badelt or rabin score because the last one is 2 years ago. in zimmer's case it's only 6 month ago. at the moment i'm not really interested in IT'S COMPLICATED, SHERLOCK HOLMES and INCEPTION. that are 3 different movies but we heard those styles of music on cd not a long time ago.

Okay, KA, POTC 2 &3 were for Bruckheimer productions, they are going to sound similar Adding to the fact that P2 and P3 are sequel movies, guaranteeing the same musical continuity.

Kung Fu Panda and Madagascar 2, I would only say close but no cigar. Both feature some form of mickey-mousing, but for the most part, I disagree completely. They do have action parts, more for KFP but not for Madagascar, and being overall scores, they're different scores. Opinion and asshole being alike, of course.

It's Complicated is a continuation of the music from The Holiday, for the same director. You could also say that Alan Silvestri continued the same kind of orchestral scoring from Father of the Bride 1 to the sequel an to What Women Wants.

I like the Sherlock Holmes score because it's Hans doing something different. Sure, you've heard parts of it in Matchstick Men and in POTC3, but not combined and treated this way. It's gona sound like Hans because he's writing it. There's no point in him trying to sound like Danny Elfman, just like how James Horner try to do the Zimmer thing in Avatar.

And it's not cool for me to get the new Rabin score (in 2 years) only to find out that it sounds exactly like what he wrote 2 years ago.

If composers are chefs, Hans has his own flavor and any recipe he cooks will have a certain Hans flavor to it. Light Romantic Comedy Hans, Dark Comedy Hans, Adventuring Hans, Action Hans, Animated Comedy Hans, Animated Action Comedy Hans, Action Adventure Has.

In the end, I think you're tired of Hans the Chef and his menu, even if it's slowly evolving while revolving. It's not like Rabin the chef with his one dish menu offering different accompanying garnishes. Trust me when I tell you that I'm still waiting for another Fly Boy/Remembering the Titans/The Great Raid.

Curious, how do you feel about Goldsmith and his late 80s, 90s action offerings?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Don't put Klaus BAdelt in the pile. THe man has clearly departed from the bunch and what he's composing during the last years, proves it. Just listen to RESCUE DAWN or the upcoming HEARBREAKERS. Enough said.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Don't put Klaus BAdelt in the pile. THe man has clearly departed from the bunch and what he's composing during the last years, proves it. Just listen to RESCUE DAWN or the upcoming HEARBREAKERS. Enough said.

And agree with you I do D. After dismissing him for a long time Badelt's work over the last few years has impressed me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Sunil wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

- Sherlock Holmes

because I'm still working on it, be patient my young padwan smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote

I didn't put Klaus in the same pile as Rabin. The OP's opinion seems to assert that Klaus' music is more worth while to listen to because it doesn't get released as much. I'm not going to debate the quality aspect, since I haven't heard all/any of Klaus' unreleased, just the value appeal. My argument: Rarity/Unavailability != Quality
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That may be the case with some but I allow my ears to judge.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    That may be the case with some but I allow my ears to judge.

Naturally, I allow my ears to judge whether it may be the case that an unreleased score is good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Been listening to Sherlock Holmes. I kinda miss catchy melodies, but it's still a nice listen throughout. There are several Morricone influences, some morriconians claim it's a rip-off. The whole thing is also seeped in several eastern european influences. Never thought a Sherlock Holmes score would sound anything like this.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2010
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Sunil wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

- Sherlock Holmes

because I'm still working on it, be patient my young padwan smile

I will, but tell me, what do you mean by Padwan? i have seen here many times people use this word frequently. I am just curious. That's all.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Star Wars. You have seen not?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Yes, i have seen. Oh! you mean to say Padwan is one of the comic character in the movie?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Empire Strikes Back. Seen you have not?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2010 edited
    lol It seems like you are going to tell remaining Star Wars sequel titles, too. Come on, my friend, be specific. I have seen all the Star Wars movies.

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Ok! alright, i have just visited Wikipedia and figured out what is padwan? Hmmmm..... very soon i will be a Jedi Warrior. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A Padawan is an apprentice to a Jedi Knight or Master, like Luke being the pupil of Obi-Wan or Anakin to ( Liam Neeson's character shame ) and the younger Obi-Wan in the prequals.

Pay attention. You must.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sunil wrote
    Ok! alright, i have just visited Wikipedia and figured out what is padwan? Hmmmm..... very soon i will be a Jedi Warrior. biggrin

face-palm-mt