• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2010
    Which other synth scores do you have in mind?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    I haven't listened to it much yet, nor will i do so soon 'cause i am out of the home these days and for the next 2 weeks, but from the first few listens i loved it; ZImmer's very unique with this sound and he's one of the few these days who can make a good synth score without sounding crap.

Seriously, I'm sure it will fit incredibly well in the movie and with the rest of the missing (from the album) music, but in the cd it's not so mindblowing that it must be.

I never expected to say that but... Give me Martinez's Solaris or even Mantsell's The Fountain for a oniric movie like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Which other synth scores do you have in mind?

Well, Brian eno's film music for instance, tyler bates, paul haslinger, every rc minion with a synth / or sampled orchestra, etc etc.

Zimmer isn't imitating the orchestra with the synth, at least during his mature years; he's writing for synths / electronic instruments in core and he's sound designing, with Nolan's he's doing something new, whether some like it or not; naturally of course.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I haven't listened to it much yet, nor will i do so soon 'cause i am out of the home these days and for the next 2 weeks, but from the first few listens i loved it; ZImmer's very unique with this sound and he's one of the few these days who can make a good synth score without sounding crap.

Seriously, I'm sure it will fit incredibly well in the movie and with the rest of the missing (from the album) music, but in the cd it's not so mindblowing that it must be.

I never expected to say that but... Give me Martinez's Solaris or even Mantsell's The Fountain for a oniric movie like this.

Well, i have confidence; what he did with Nolan 'till now, as FILM scores, was brilliant, imo. I am sure it will work great in the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Nautilus wrote
    http://www.ustream.tv/inceptionpremiere

Inception's live performance. after the trailer and interviews!

Looks like most of his SH soloists made the appearance as well.

I like Hans' taste in women - Tina Guo & Ann Marie Calhoun.... wowzer!!! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The entire film music medium has a big craze with Tina Guo as we speak and it's not unexplainable it would seem. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Nautilus wrote

Cool! cool

I like the idea of a live performance of the score at premieres and such... has this been done a lot, or is a new thing?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Who else does it apart Zimmer and co? It's a publicity thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh and they're not really so much 'live' performances in essence as many few, actual instruments are present. Most is through real time midi, connected on the usual vst instruments / samples and libraries they use. With programs like ableton live, cubase and co, these things are made possible. So, live midi is what i'd call it.
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    Nautilus wrote

For some reason I can't play the videos. It just keep loading forever. Is the videos playing fine for everyone else?

Edit: Nevermind. Firefox acted up. I got it working using IE in stead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

Apart FROM. wink

Sorry, but it's really buggering me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Ranietz wrote
    Nautilus wrote

For some reason I can't play the videos. It just keep loading forever. Is the videos playing fine for everyone else?

Worked well for me in Firefox.
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    lp wrote
    Ranietz wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Yeah, I think something got messed up when I installed (or updated) Firefox. It sometimes crash when I go to a web site which has videos on it (or it simply won't play back the videos like in this case). I haven't gotten around to fix it yet...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Apart FROM. wink

Sorry, but it's really buggering me.

Use Vaseline if it's really buggering you that much wink

But yeah, thanks for the correction; it's really buggering me as well, i always forget about that and it's an important error.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2010
    Ranietz wrote
    lp wrote
    Ranietz wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Yeah, I think something got messed up when I installed (or updated) Firefox. It sometimes crash when I go to a web site which has videos on it (or it simply won't play back the videos like in this case). I haven't gotten around to fix it yet...

Firefox has been acting quite messy on all of my pc's lately, crashing and stalling everything and i uninstalled it fully and (i never expected to say this) returned back to what seems to be working fast and flawlessly for now , internet explorer 8.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I really loved what he's doing with INCEPTION. I can honestly hear one of his best works in years. He's reached the expressive levels of John Murphy and particularly what David Julyan was doing for Nolan, two composers whose work i generally admire; he's doing that by successfully crossing it with his unmistakable style into a very coherent listening experience and a very mature minimalistic work. I am particularly thoroughly impressed with the extremely minimalistic in quantities musical material, suspended nature but ultimately powerful ending for the album / movie, entitled 'time'. It reminded me of Murphy at his best, i.e. with the 28 days / weeks later musical scores. I can only imagine that watching the movie will further enhance my opinion on it and couldn't help but to laugh when somebody said that he should do what Jablonsky did with the island (no matter how much i enjoy J's brain-dead fun, Inception is in-fact musical.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    when somebody said that he should do what Jablonsky musical.)

You can name me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I read all the new comments fast and didn't remember who was it; the point is elsewhere smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    I read all the new comments fast and didn't remember who was it; the point is elsewhere smile

the island has more textures, it's richest in instrumentation and sound. And it's more coherent as a listening experience.

Inception is a disjointed mix of : the darkn knight, Blade runner, quantum of solace, frost /nixon and M:I2.

It has his moments, but it's not fully inmersive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's not disjoint at all. It has a natural process from all cues, slower to more dramatic ones and nothing in there is plainly dark knight or anything (where did M:I:II came up in here? that was the most raw, childish album they ever produced); it's a coherent hybrid of the trademarked late Zimmer sound, viewed from the perspective of Julyan's and Murphy's musical approaches. If you sit down, watch and listen to 28 days / weeks later or Julyan's work for Nolan, you'll see that Inception is not disjoint at all. Stop tracing influences and specific scores in everything you hear, try and listen to the whole thing as a new body of work; and of course wait to watch the movie first and observe how it functions in there. Inception has character, The island is braindead fun, a raw homage to Zimmer's older sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    The islanwas not an homenage to Zimmer's olde sound because it was a clear evolution from it. it was the most contemporany score in terms of electronics to date.

How I said i need to watch the whole music , and in the context. the album seems only a "demo" .
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    The islanwas not an homenage to Zimmer's olde sound because it was a clear evolution from it. it was the most contemporany score in terms of electronics to date.

How I said i need to watch the whole music , and in the context. the album seems only a "demo" .

Oh it certainly was; every dramatic device Zimmer ever came up with is in Island, and the closing cue "i am lincoln" is a plain rip-off of the closing titles from Gladiator. Jablonsky found his sound but turning Zimmer's sound into more electronic and more edgy, modern styles but he hardly re-invented anything. I love The island and transformers but they're no where as intelligent as some of Zimmer's usage of music and sounds in his later career.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I asked to a person who watched the movie if there is a lot of unrealeased music:

"absolutely not..the mostly use half remember dream, dream is collapsing old souls mombasa, 587794(or i dont know the name) and time..nothing unreleased, the score supports the movie well for this kind of movie i cant imagine a different one"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Miya wrote
    Artworks wrote
    Don't know if this is a new video, but it's pretty cool... HZ and JNH in a live performance of The Dark Knight:
    http://www.hans-zimmer.com/fr/newsite.php?rub=news&id_news=771

What was that sparkling iPaddy thing Hans is playing with...? uhm

and JNH looks so cool

That's a Tenori-On

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SGwDhKTrwU
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Demetris...I want to love Inception.

Can you tell me more about your feeling about this score...please?

Or some track that you think it's specially impressive.

Thanks!
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    It's not disjoint at all. It has a natural process from all cues, slower to more dramatic ones and nothing in there is plainly dark knight or anything (where did M:I:II came up in here? that was the most raw, childish album they ever produced); it's a coherent hybrid of the trademarked late Zimmer sound, viewed from the perspective of Julyan's and Murphy's musical approaches. If you sit down, watch and listen to 28 days / weeks later or Julyan's work for Nolan, you'll see that Inception is not disjoint at all. Stop tracing influences and specific scores in everything you hear, try and listen to the whole thing as a new body of work; and of course wait to watch the movie first and observe how it functions in there. Inception has character, The island is braindead fun, a raw homage to Zimmer's older sound.

Demetris, try M:I-2's Hijack track. Combine it with Why So Serious and Synchrotone and you've got Mombasa. It's true that there are references here.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2010
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Demetris, try M:I-2's Hijack track. Combine it with Why So Serious and Synchrotone and you've got Mombasa. It's true that there are references here.

That's an apt combination.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2010 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    Demetris...I want to love Inception.

Can you tell me more about your feeling about this score...please?

Or some track that you think it's specially impressive.

Thanks!

Demetris, can you tell me how I love more Barry On Her Majestic secret Service?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2010
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris, can you tell me how I love more Barry On Her Majestic secret Service?

You fooled me until I glanced at the top of the post... wink
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010
    "Zimmer has said in interviews that the score needed to merge with the film’s sound design, and it does feel like an organic element. But kudos to Nolan for allowing the music to play such a crucial—and prominent—role in the film.

Readers of this blog know my dislike of electronics and rock in film music, even when the score calls for it. It’s just a matter of personal taste. But Zimmer successfully blends the two with the orchestral complement and ambient sounds to create a surreal, and surprisingly emotional, musical vision. Listen to the score on headphones to capture all the nuances in the music.

INCEPTION is one thrilling and trippy (oh, there’s that word again!) musical ride.
    "

full review here:
    http://www.filmscoreclicktrack.com/2010 … inception/

Couldn't agree more; certainly one of year's most prominent film scores with characters, and one of the most mature works by Zimmer.