• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Christodoulides wrote
    Is this new agency better than Gorfeine?

Not as far as I'm concerned. Neither of then have gotten back to them - and I contacted them ages ago!! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2011
    Well they don't, don't wait up my friend smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2011
    The full On Stranger Tides soundtrack is streaming on the official PotC Facebook page. You can listen to it all if you like the page.

I'd almost say don't bother. I've really liked some of Zimmer's work in the (increasingly distant) past--which I know may cause some of you to completely discredit any musical opinion I have rolleyes. But Zimmer has hit an all new low in not putting any effort into a score. He missed a good opportunity here. I have a lot to say about this one, so you guys are going to get a sort of review, whether you asked for it or not. tongue

The first soundtrack wasn't ever creative, but it was a lot of unbridled fun. The second album wasn't compiled quite as well as the first, but the addition of the Jack Sparrow suite was great, and the Kraken theme was catchy and brought something new to the score. Zimmer and co. obviously gave the third their all. The new theme was better than most anything Zimmer's done in the last few years, it was presented a bunch of different ways, all to good effect, and Up is Down was excellent fun.

This score has none of that. I admit the tracks by Rodrigo y Gabriela are very good--Angelica is good and Angry and Dead Again may be one of the catchiest tracks the duo has written, in my opinion--but it all sounds like an extension of the 11:11 album with two Pirates statements thrown in awkwardly at the end. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they'd already written these tunes with a new album in mind, or if they were sketches left over from 11:11 or their debut album. Their is no attempt to bridge the gap between their album sound and the pirates sound. They were not a bad choice, and they are incredibly talented musicians, but they were not well incorporated.

The 20 or so minutes that Zimmer and co. composed are a huge backslide. They sound weak, synthy and flat compared to the massive sound of At World's End. As far as themes go, most tracks are rehashed bits of old themes, often with Rodrigo playing over the top. The old themes seem oddly hacked together. I would like to blame a lot of this on the album presentation, and maybe the score is better in the film, but that still doesn't excuse the fact that any new themes were so unremarkable that I can't recall any of them after listening to the score carefully twice through. Zimmer does seem to come up with another hit-the-same-note-4-times thing, but that's hardly new, or a theme. The Blackbeard theme is uninteresting filler. Mermaid is okay, but it's also slow and wondering. And a rip off of Da Vinci Code. Ultimately, nothing is as stirring as the new themes that came along with Pirates 2 and especially Pirates 3.

The parts I did really enjoy were Palm Tree Escape and End Credits. Palm Tree Escape blends Rodrigo y Gabriela nicely with the old pirates themes. It still is a bunch of rehashes and sounds flat in comparison to AWE, but at least it has some energy. End Credits is the familiar old suite with a little more emphasis on solo violin and, of course, Rodrigo y Gabriela playing along. For once everything comes together well, and you get an idea of what the score could have sounded like, but you're already at the last track. (Well, there's the remixes too, but seriously, you should just let End Credits be the last track.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Did this Rodrigo Y Gabriela person actually compose music, or just play it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2011 edited
    Nice review, Feliz

I wish the remixes and the Rodrigo y Gabriela only material had been left off the album, and more of Zimmer's score had been released. There seems to be way too little integration between Zimmer's and Rodrigo y Gabriela's music, and the album appears like a hodgepodge; ignoring the awful remixes the album appears more like half POTC and half Gustavo Santaolalla. I'm not sure how RyG's music appears in the movie, but on album it doesn't sounds POTCy at all.

Score wise POTC1<POTC2<POTC3, so I expected to be blown away by POTC4. But without the love themes or the "Hoist the colours" theme from the last movie or outstanding standalone tracks like "Up is down"; "Parlay" it doesn't even approach POTC3 in enjoyment. I find all of Zimmer's material enjoyable, but it's probably my least favourite of the four POTC scores so far, because not only is there less Zimmer material, but the new ideas seem inferior to what we heard in the three other scores.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    Did this Rodrigo Y Gabriela person actually compose music, or just play it?

It's actually 2 people, Rodrigo Sanchez and Gabriela Quintero. smile They write music. They're written 4 full albums of it already, the most recent being 11:11. It's quite good. They also play some covers, but mainly they're writers. Actually that's basically what they did with this album, did their own thing writing their own songs and then covered a little bit of the pirates themes to toss in at the end. rolleyes

plindboe wrote
    I wish the remixes and the Rodrigo y Gabriela only material had been left off the album, and more of Zimmer's score had been released.

Score wise POTC1<POTC2<POTC3, so I expected to be blown away by POTC4.

Yeah, agreed with everything you said. I'm conflicted about the R&G tracks, because they're not bad necessarily, and I actually enjoy listening to their other studio albums... but yeah, including them means less Zimmer, and if there was some better Zimmer stuff in the film score than what was released on album, well, it desperately needed to be included. tongue It's like this film needed separate soundtrack and score releases, but it's all score. It just isn't score that fits together. slant

I think I had the same problem: expectations were apparently too high. I'm not sure Zimmer is capable of beating his own work on POTC 3...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Feliz wroteActually that's basically what they did with this album, did their own thing writing their own songs and then covered a little bit of the pirates themes to toss in at the end. rolleyes

This statement is highly suspect. I seriously doubt that Hans Zimmer would invite people onto a movie that he's responsible for and just let them loose on it.

With regard to the rest of the score, it's clear to me that most of the score is a basic cut and paste job, which would make sense about the additional credits. Matthew Margeson got the plum gig of adapting and arranging all of the old cue sections and made them work in a new context. And those other writers were brought on to help, while reworking some of their own cues from the previous sequels. The new materials are the Latin stuff with the Black Beard and Mermaid theme which I'm sure Hans had a big task of realizing.
  2. Southall wrote
    A concert featuring Zimmer and Powell in the UK... really?

http://www2.sainsburys.co.uk/panda/day-out.htm

sounds like fun smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2011
    Mutiny, Mermaids, Palm Tree Escape and End Credits were the highlights of the album for me, especially the last one where I loved the guitar flavouring to the He's A Pirate theme. The first three are cool action tracks, especially the last half of Mermaids (even having a snippet of Beckett's death music for some reason). The rest of the soundtrack was somewhat of a filler, though I did like Angelica's theme. Blackbeard's theme was alright but not as memorable as the ones Hans composed for Davy Jones and the Kraken. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of interesting action music has been left off the soundtrack presentation in favour of those pestilential remixes, making the score seem less solid than it actually is - that certainly was the case with Dead Man's Chest, I think.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Whoever put this together doesn't know how to create a flowing album. Everything feels so disjointed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Whoever put this together doesn't know how to create a flowing album. Everything feels so disjointed.

I agree. Not that it would improve with a better presentation though. The music is simply boring and uninspired.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2011
    "Kung Fu Panda 2":
    Clips from every track ober at CinemaMusica.de

http://www.cinemamusica.de/1645/Kung-Fu … mer-Powell

Enjoy!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2011
    BasilB wrote
    "Kung Fu Panda 2":
    Clips from every track ober at CinemaMusica.de

http://www.cinemamusica.de/1645/Kung-Fu … mer-Powell

Enjoy!!

Ahahahaha :P
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2011 edited
    New Audio Interview with Hans Zimmer talking about his summer music. Its been really interesting and informative so far.

http://www.filmmusicmag.com/?p=7890
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2011
    The section about 2:30 into the interview caught the bulk of my interest, for obvious reasons. cool bunny
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2011
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Have you commited a heinous crime recently James, that you should suffer so.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Southall's long-awaited verdict is in:

http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=1525

You have been too kind.

This score and album , makes Dead Man's Chest a masterpiece.

I hate when Zimmer does this things (Madagascar, Rango...). he has underling for this! he better don't put his name on this piece of shit!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2011
    Nautilus wrote
    I hate when Zimmer does this things (Madagascar, Rango...). he has underling for this! he better don't put his name on this piece of shit!

Why are Hans Zimmer fans often so emotional? They either seem to love him intensely or hate him intensely. They orgasmed all over themselves with Inception, but a few less succesful scores later he's suddenly the antichrist. Of course it won't take long before there's another good album and then he's back to being the saviour of mankind.

How about "I like some of his music, but not all of it". <- practice saying this while shrugging your shoulders.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Jordi is representative of "Hans Zimmer fans" now? wink
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2011 edited
    Scribe wrote
    Jordi is representative of "Hans Zimmer fans" now? wink

Well, not all of them luckily. I've just noticed alot of ranting these past days following the disappointing POTC score. Sometimes I just wish that people wouldn't behave like Hans Zimmer has killed their dog whenever they hear a score they don't like. He's just a guy doing a job, and people need to stop taking it so personally. If you don't like his music, don't buy it. If you like some of it but not all of it, you could buy it but be prepared for the fact that you may be disappointed, and don't act like it's the end of the world when you are.

That's my advice at least. Film music listening doesn't have to be such a frustrating experience as some people make it out to be.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    plindboe wrote
    Film music listening doesn't have to be such a frustrating experience as some people make it out to be.

Amen to that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    How about "I like some of his music, but not all of it". <- practice saying this while shrugging your shoulders.

Peter smile

I do that. He's my favourite composer after Williams, Elfman and Goldenthal, but I see no reason to invest my whole emotional range into it. Nor for the top three. In fact, I've never really understood those who either rave senselessly or yell obscenities in regard to a composer. It's great to be passionate and everything, and no temperature would exist without it, but why not step back for a second and look at what it is you're talking about? We're talking FILM MUSIC here, a luxury niche hobby in the industrialized countries. No need to get your "knickers in a bunch" or however the expression goes.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. It doesn't really matter what the expression is so no need to get your knickers in a TWIST! A twist.

wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Nice review, James. smile

I don't have plans of watching the movie anytime soon, but I did hear from a lot of other people about how the score w.r.t the film is a total thematic mess. After the (IMHO) great score to the third installment and its cohesive flow to thematic development, I think that's truly disappointing. However I think I'm one of the few who doesn't find the score on the CD (whatever little is on there) to be so horrible. Overlooking the aforementioned factor, I just thought it was a fun little dose of popcorn for 45 minutes. Perhaps one of the reasons for that is that I didn't really have high expectations to begin with, hehe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    plindboe wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Why are Hans Zimmer fans often so emotional? They either seem to love him intensely or hate him intensely. They orgasmed all over themselves with Inception, but a few less succesful scores later he's suddenly the antichrist. Of course it won't take long before there's another good album and then he's back to being the saviour of mankind.

Peter smile

Do you think this I wrotte is "pasional"? You didn't see me in my "good times", right? in fact I stop worrying me about this Zimmer "shits" since Powell appeared in the map :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nautilus wrote
    Do you think this I wrotte is "pasional"? You didn't see me in my "good times", right? in fact I stop worrying me about this Zimmer "shits" since Powell appeared in the map :P

Hm?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Thor wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Hm?

I was young and passional once..
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nautilus wrote
    Thor wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Hm?

I was young and passional once..

You're not anymore (passionate, that is)?
    I am extremely serious.