• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2013
    Southall wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Reportedly, Christopher Nolan got busy again with interstellar and Hans Zimmer is already writing the score for it.

http://www.scoop.it/t/soundtrack/p/4002 … 79e41ba76c

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I am sure that there will be very little hype of any kind between now and its release in 18 months.

You're right, I can't imagine so either.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2013
    Demetris wrote
    but.....but.............but......hans.....told........i.meann...but...haaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnsssss cry

He did? You gotta tell me D, YOU GOTTA TELL ME, I won't sleep otherwise.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2013
    Yikes, I've been unfriended by Jordi on Facebook. I don't know why but I imagine it has something to do with the subject of this thread. I thought my news feed had become somewhat quieter!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I was just skimming through some online Q&A which Zimmer just did and uncovered this little beauty:

Q: I have several friends who are composers in Los Angeles. Though they respect you as a businessman, I have a difficult time defending your music to them from a compositional standpoint. What would you to say to composers who criticize your compositions for being too simple?
    A: I've spent my life trying to make things simpler. Because I find ultimately that complicated doesn't reach the heart.

I find that absolutely, staggeringly insulting. Does this guy have no shame? So you write stupid music because people are stupid and couldn't possibly understand anything else?

Blood boiling. You're ruining film music you great big cretin with that stinking, horrible attitude. Fuck off and do something else and let someone with a bit of respect for the audience have a go at doing it instead.
  1. Since when simple = stupid?

I mean, if you look at The Thin Red Line from a purely musical standpoint with one exception, the music is very simple with very rare moments of complexity (Stone in My Heart). Inception is based on really simple ideas... and so on.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Southall wrote
    Yikes, I've been unfriended by Jordi on Facebook. I don't know why but I imagine it has something to do with the subject of this thread. I thought my news feed had become somewhat quieter!

He seems to have gotten a bigger connection with Hans now, who thanked him in the Man of Steel booklet. Jordi's one of those gushers.
  3. Hans Zimmer wroteI've spent my life trying to make things simpler. Because I find ultimately that complicated doesn't reach the heart.

I was a little pissed off when I read that statement as well, but I think it's just Zimmer tripping himself up with questionable diction once again. What he's trying to say is that he personally prefers compositional simplicity (perhaps because it's all he can do, but hey, write what you know, right?). And I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a simple approach to film music. Oftentimes it's the best road to take. What I do, however, find highly questionable and yes, borderline insulting, is the implication that complicated music is somehow inferior and ought to be "stamped out" or something - that's bullshit and if that's really what Zimmer meant then I'll join James in the hate parade. angry
  4. Knowing how much he adores the likes of Goldsmith, Williams, Giacchino and James Horner, and knowing how earlier he praised Beethoven's Fifth SYmphony for using a very simple idea and taking it places...

I think that explains everything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2013 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote

He seems to have gotten a bigger connection with Hans now, who thanked him in the Man of Steel booklet.

WTF?! For real?

As for his statement on simplicity, I definitely see what he's getting at. There is much enjoyment in more cerebral music, but there is a definitey an immediacy to simpler structures -- if that's what the film calls for. So I think you're over-reacting a bit, Southall. I don't think he means to say that there isn't any value in more complex music. Heck, even his own music is quite complex at times.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2013 edited
    Just to play Devil's advocate, I imagine it's very easy to make an off the cuff remark like that in that situation, given that the interviewer had just made a thinly veiled criticism of his music. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that, especially if it gives the interviewee a chance to defend him or herself, but it's still hard not to take that sort of comment to heart (which, by all accounts, Zimmer tends to do).

Perhaps, as well, there's some missing context? Poorly chosen words in the heat of the moment, sure, but there's no denying "simple" does bode well for the heart. I think it was either Goldsmith or Williams who once said that it's both hard and/or imperative to find that one, simple idea that really works well? I dunno. I don't think it's quite worth the scolding you've given him, James (though I do understand where you're coming from - I wouldn't exactly want to live in a world where Zimmer rules, and sometimes it gets dangerously close to that, but I'm glad he is in this world.)
  5. It was a reddit AMA event, so he had to respond very quickly and it might have taken him off-guard.

I know for a fact that he is quite insecure, for example he gets very tense if someone mentions that he referenced something (I tried to discuss several quotes in his scores with him and while he was still nice, he did get tense), he's afraid everyone is going to hate Man of Steel as he said on that reddit event.

Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote

He seems to have gotten a bigger connection with Hans now, who thanked him in the Man of Steel booklet.

WTF?! For real?

As for his statement on simplicity, I definitely see what he's getting at. There is much enjoyment in more cerebral music, but there is a definitey an immediacy to simpler structures -- if that's what the film calls for. So I think you're over-reacting a bit, Southall. I don't think he means to say that there isn't any value in more complex music. Heck, even his own music is quite complex at times.

The fact that the music is simple on a purely musical level, doesn't mean it's not cerebral, though. Granted, Hans is no Elliot Goldenthal or Alexandre Desplat (who has made some brilliant proofs of relative musical simplicity being intellectually on top of everything), but still he made the living proof of what I said by writing The Thin Red Line...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    By the way, that was an interesting Q&A from Reddit. Some good quotes there that I can use as a "Hans Zimmer defender" in future discussions (especially the one about electronics and acoustic instruments) -- although I'm usually a bit more laidback in my defense than, say, Jordi or Pawel.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. I wish I could be as laid back as you smile

Something I have to learn...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's very simple. Just follow this advice.
  7. Actually, while I listened to all the tracks and clips, I avoided all the hype and actually almost deleted some of the hypers from my Facebook.
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    I'll join the discussion cause I find it intresting.
    Zimmer's Music is not simple just because He likes that but Zimmer just do what he Can. But It's Not his fault that most of the people find that kind of Music better than, well Williams Superman for example. As is not his fault that pop is much more popular than classical Music.Zimmer writes, people listen, It works and there's plenty of composers who can write it simple , so producers buys it. There's more stupids than clevers.
  8. Pretty cynical, lowest-common-denominator way to approach film scoring though, isn't it? Just write whatever's easy/popular without regard for artistic merit or creativity or innovation? Not to mention that Williams for all of his "complexity" in the late 70s and 80s was at least as popular as Zimmer is now, and his scores will and have aged FAR better than Zimmer's.

Not saying that that's what Zimmer is doing, at all, but that's how you're painting him.
  9. That was exactly his point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2013 edited
    He's hanging out with jordi and Kristina now? No wonder his music sounds like that these days. Have you observed how he has gone downhill since he is all social media and reading forums all day? Hans shut off frigging shittybook for fucks sake, shut your ears to the cocks that surround you and get your shit together. Most of the stuff you say lately sounds like disrespecting other people's work and art in general. You can do so much better. You deserve so much better. Film music - which you largely control, deserves so much better. Have you really got entirely blinded by the ego-megalomaniac crap those fanatics throw at you all day long ?

How I long for the composer of the thin red line or even inception to wake up from his deep sleep.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  10. Well, having him boast about James Horner in one of my recent posts... I would beg to differ. And Inception was exactly when he got on "shittybook", so that's not it. It was something that started with The Last Samurai.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think it's great that he keeps in touch with his fans, although he should obviously be somewhat restrictive in regards to how he relates to people who are either too gushing or too aggressive. But I doubt that has any influence on his music this way or that way.

There's a lot of really 'colourful vocabularly' going around in this thread now. Strange. Why don't people just relax, have a drink and express their likes and dislikes (or even indifference) as constructively as possible? Like we do with any other composer?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2013
    He puts so much energy in this crap and is so sensitive and self aware about what others say to him that is truly working against the quality of his music. People who blindly worship your every work In fanatic and non critical ways are bound to destroy you one day. When he was away from all this, and he was mostly hard working in his studios isolated, the results were much much better.
  11. In what way it's really influencing his music?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2013
    Thor, no other composer is influencing film music in this large degree as Zimmer does.

No other composer goes on interviews insulting people's work or the genre in general as he does.

No other composer has beliebers who blind hmm into writing as such and thus forming such dangerous trends in what studio execs, directors and producers are asking and expecting from every other composer out there.

When you pour oil to the fire as he does , there is a risk of getting burned yourself.
  12. But you haven't explained how people like Jordi influence his WRITING process!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    In what way it's really influencing his music?

He wastes time that could go into better thinking his scoring approach and actually writing better music.

But mostly important, since he came in such vivid contact with such strange personalities in the net, he dismisses every criticism that could possibly work in positive ways for him In the long term, because he is surrounded by fools who will blindly worship what he scores no matter what. He doesn't weigh things and gets bitter and defensive to the slighter criticism. They are harming him but he won't see it. He is becoming the Bieber of film music and look what happens to that one every day.

When you can't take criticism and use it on your future benefit and development , then it's always a dangerous situation. Especially when you are surrounded by people who will convince you that your every fart is art.
  13. I am not so sure about that.

First, we have no idea what he does when he goes on Facebook (the guy has, like, breaks, you know).

Second, who says he hasn't been sensitive about criticism BEFORE he got on Facebook? He actually questioned Film Score Monthly's criticism of his works back in the 1990s (in an interview with them).

Yes, I know for a fact that criticism he finds DOES hurt him big time. Everyone here probably saw what happened with The Dark Knight Rises review, but nobody knows about my involvement in that case and I am not sure I want to really speak about it much and that I should, because of both people involved in it.

Third, I don't think the lack of criticism from fans hurts his process as much as lack of criticism from his collaborators.

I can tell you this:

I had a gushing moment, I can admit to that perfectly... I had a very gushing moment of being a pure fanboy one time on the recording session I attended (we both went out on a cigarette). When I told him (the truth, BTW), that he has always been my inspiration, he actually felt very awkward and dismissed himself saying "I am only trying to have fun here!".
  14. Language is all a bit extreme in here, isn't it? Shall we just all agree that this Hans Zimmer fellow is a promising young player who hopefully will get some big projects to demonstrate the range of his talents soon?

wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  15. :mrgreen:
  16. Shit:

biggrin

(Hanging out between two forums with two different emoticon settings is not good)