• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2008
    Really not that excited about this one. It's a Nolan film after all. (Whereas the film itself I couldn't be more excited.)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2008
    Antineutrino wrote
    Maybe a version without synths? biggrin

"Dark Knight - Orchestral version" biggrin

Would be nice to know what "deluxe" means. Probably some extra linear notes and a metal case or something silly. dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Where do Disney keep all their tapes? We need to plan a raid! You guys head to the Zimmer section, I'll head to Giacchino and Shaiman. wink

Okay! I'll head for Barry, Mancini, Goodwin and Horner! biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Really not that excited about this one. It's a Nolan film after all. (Whereas the film itself I couldn't be more excited.)

I haven't been that impressed by the trailers. Still, I'm looking forward to it though and Nolan has taken Bats in the right direction that has almost banished Tim Burton's load of crap.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    I really didn't think Tim Burton's Bat films were that special, to be honest. Batman Returns, despite a great performance by Michelle Pfeiffer, was a whole lot of phooey (Batman was much better by comparison, although it was Jack Nicholson's show all the way). Not to say that I liked the Schumacher films because they were lighter, dumber and gaudier, it's just that Nolan had a better grasp of the story and characters than either Burton or Schumacher.

The Dark Knight is the summer film to beat, so far. The trailers and TV spots are really good so far, and if Nolan's track record is any indication, audiences are going to be in for one great film.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Anthony wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    Maybe a version without synths? biggrin

"Dark Knight - Orchestral version" biggrin

Would be nice to know what "deluxe" means. Probably some extra linear notes and a metal case or something silly. dizzy

LOL, really, yeah! But I guess synths will be inevitable for the film seeing both Zimmer and JNH use them a lot in their scores (most of them anyway). What I want to see is if it's as good as Batman Begins or not. Yeah, I know BB wasn't a that great listening experience on CD, but IMO it worked great on screen, especially the Scarecrow-hallucination scene! shocked
  1. DemonStar wrote
    Yeah, I know BB wasn't a that great listening experience on CD

I feel obliged to disagree. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Glad you did wink But IMHO some parts were a bit too quiet and some too loud on CD. Might be my personal problem with stuff like that, but I like the score anyway. Would like to see how he develops the Batman theme heard during "Molossus" and the end credits in TDK. beer
  2. I think that´s what a lot of people look forward too. Let´s hope...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I haven't been that impressed by the trailers. Still, I'm looking forward to it though and Nolan has taken Bats in the right direction that has almost banished Tim Burton's load of crap.

Now, I can understand someone not liking Burton's Batman films - but to pick on him when you've got Joel Schumacher to aim at seems unfair in the extreme! I like Burton's Batman (his sequel, not so much) - the first and best of the modern era of comic book films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristoph
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I am hoping for a massive theme explosion in TDK, then, but i know it won´t happen. Since I love this stuff as suppressed as it is, I don´t care. smile

The low deep suppressed theme(s) is indeed the thing that makes this score memorabel. I prefer this far above the scores of the Burton's films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2008 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    Would like to see how he develops the Batman theme heard during "Molossus"

Batman theme? confused
    I honestly couldn't discern anything coherent enough in the whole score that could be spoken of as a theme (in the sense of Elfman's Batman theme).

It's neither here nor there but with all the negativity flowing about I feel compelled in (re)expressing my admiration for Burton's Batman Returns, which -mainly thanks to a phenomenal Pfeiffer and DeVito, outshines the earlier Batman by an impressive margin.

While I think the film series' reboot with Batman Begins is the best thing happening to the franchise ever since writer Dennis O'Neil and artist Neal Adams re-invented the Dark Avenger in 1969 for the comics run, I still think Batman Returns is a highly stylized, clever, witty and powerful entry in the canon.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Batman theme? confused
    I honestly couldn't discern anything coherent enough in the whole score that could be spoken of as a theme (in the sense of Elfman's Batman theme).

It's neither here nor there but with all the negativity flowing about I feel compelled in (re)expressing my admiration for Burton's Batman Returns, which -mainly thanks to a phenomenal Pfeiffer and DeVito, outshines the earlier Batman by an impressive margin.

While I think the film series' reboot with Batman Begins is the best thing happening to the franchise ever since writer Dennis O'Neil and artist Neal Adams re-invented the Dark Avenger in 1969 for the comics run, I still think Batman Returns is a highly stylized, clever, witty and powerful entry in the canon.

Kudos for pointing out the O'Neil / Adams re-boot of Bats Martijn beer There are many around who thik it started with Frank Miller and they're wrong , as much as Miller's Dark Knight is innovative and brilliant ( and not much to do with the film ).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Now, I can understand someone not liking Burton's Batman films - but to pick on him when you've got Joel Schumacher to aim at seems unfair in the extreme! I like Burton's Batman (his sequel, not so much) - the first and best of the modern era of comic book films.

It was Burton that re-envisioned Batman for the big screen which is why there was no need to mention Joel Shitmaker.

There are many good points about Burton's film, the look of Gotham city and Elfman's Herrmann-esque Batman theme but what makes this film crap for me is Batman himself, the horrible, immovable clunky rubber Bat-suit worn by an actor with no physical attributes though I accept that Burton's casting of Michael Keaton was a daring one albeit wrong despite his quite enjoyably
    idiosyncratic portrayal of Bruce Wayne.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Martijn wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Batman theme? confused

Zimmer said he didn't develop it fully intentionally. It is heard in "molossus" and at the end of the Credits, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Same here. Put it in, turn down the lights, turn the volume up; Enjoy.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    For all the above:

1) Zimmer wanted a big theme, Nolan didn't let him.
    2) The previous Batman films - sorry to say so but, look utterly ridiculous in comparison to Nolan's vision.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I'd rather do that with a good score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Should try that tonight! tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DemonStar wrote
    Zimmer said he didn't develop it fully intentionally.

Mission accomplished.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Mission accomplished.

biggrin

Surely that's worse, intentionally not developing a theme?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Mission accomplished.

biggrin

Quoting Demetris, Zimmer wanted a big theme, Nolan didn't let him. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Mission accomplished.

biggrin

Oh I know, but my reasoning still stands. The fact that it wasn't Zimmer's decision doesn't make it any less a bad decision.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Mission accomplished.

biggrin

Oh I know, but my reasoning still stands. The fact that it wasn't Zimmer's decision doesn't make it any less a bad decision.

True... let's see how it comes out in TDK wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Probably the same as it did in BB. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Well, we'll find out soon this summer biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    For all the above:

1) Zimmer wanted a big theme, Nolan didn't let him.
    2) The previous Batman films - sorry to say so but, look utterly ridiculous in comparison to Nolan's vision.

1) I didn't know that?
    2) Agree!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, it was quoted in interviews at the time. Zimmer repeatedly stressed how he worked on a grand Batman theme with JNH but Nolan didn't want anything like that in his movie eventually. Nolan, a very good filmmaker besides that, is very well known for his 'atmospheric / ambient' musical approach to his films. He never went (so far at least) the 'musically intrusive and grand' way.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, it was quoted in interviews at the time. Zimmer repeatedly stressed how he worked on a grand Batman theme with JNH but Nolan didn't want anything like that in his movie eventually. Nolan, a very good filmmaker besides that, is very well known for his 'atmospheric / ambient' musical approach to his films. He never went (so far at least) the 'musically intrusive and grand' way.

That's a real shame. Why didn't he stick with Julyan if he didn't want anything "obtrusive"?
  3. Steven wrote
    Probably the same as it did in BB. sad

I hope so ! wink