• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    Wow!!! you are a COOL guy!! wave

Call me Mr. Freeze, then... because... unlike some other actors whose names I shall not mention here,
    I can speak with an australian accent! biggrin (bot onlee if I most)
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Panda is nice. But it is not as epic as Prince of Egypt. Why would it be? Does the subject matter hold a candle to (regardless of religious beliefs or lack of them) one of the most classic stories of all time?

And NOTHING Zimmer has ever written and probably will ever write compares to the glorious, haunting choir work of pieces like "Kings of the Past" from The Lion King.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008
    Oh...and about Panda, or AWE for that matter, having Land Before Time choir moments? I don't think so...Horner almost always uses children's choirs, whereas Zimmer uses female choirs for the same thing, and the two have distinctly separate sounds. I wish Zimmer used children's choir more, but I don't hear it in either of these scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Scribe wrote
    Oh...and about Panda, or AWE for that matter, having Land Before Time choir moments? I don't think so...

Aw! I was trying to get Jordi stuck in a Zimmer loop... sad
    No such luck though. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Martijn wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Oh...and about Panda, or AWE for that matter, having Land Before Time choir moments? I don't think so...

Aw! I was trying to get Jordi stuck in a Zimmer loop... sad
    No such luck though. smile

Oh. I thought you were serious. Good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I just heard the moment I think Jordi is talking about though. I think he might be right shocked cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Scribe wrote
    I just heard the moment I think Jordi is talking about though. I think he might be right shocked cool

It's in the final moments of "sacred pool ..."
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Nautilus wrote
    Scribe wrote

It's in the final moments of "sacred pool ..."

Yes. I can't quite tell what kind of choir it is, because I'm listening on really cheap speakers right now, but it's definitely very Land Before Time.

In "Shifu Faces Tai Lung" there is a moment of Happy Feet-style choir, and then some string work that reminds me of "Lament" from Star Wars III
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    Panda is nice. But it is not as epic as Prince of Egypt. Why would it be? Does the subject matter hold a candle to (regardless of religious beliefs or lack of them) one of the most classic stories of all time?

I'd rather see a film about a talking panda voiced by Jack Black than a story about a vengeful god talking to a guy through a bush. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Nautilus wrote
    Forget The Lion King and Prince of Egypt....Kung Fu Panda Has arrived!

I feel it's my solemn duty to disagree biggrin

KFP is nice but IMHO it can NEVER, EVER top these two classics. At least for me, because the score of Lion King means to me as much as the heart beating in my chest spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Scribe wrote
    And NOTHING Zimmer has ever written and probably will ever write compares to the glorious, haunting choir work of pieces like "Kings of the Past" from The Lion King.

I couldn't agree more biggrin except that EVERY SINGLE piece of this score is special for me!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Scribe wrote

I'd rather see a film about a talking panda voiced by Jack Black than a story about a vengeful god talking to a guy through a bush. biggrin

Hahahahahahaha biggrin ^killed me cry<with laughter
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    sad crazy

I just realized Zimmer will never surpass At world's End!!!!!

So many genres, so many addictive themes, so orchestral, so rich, so BIG, so colorful, so Exotic, so many long suites...

Special mention to " I don't think now is the best time" and Lord Becket's "goodbye".A very undefined character in the movies who has one of the most impressive deaths (the scene and the music) in the film story.

beer

(Timmer this is for you : ....Pirates of theeeee....ZZZZZZZZZ sleep )

Playing for me? shame <-blush , I'm so touched...*sniff*....just for me you're playing Pirates Of Theeeeeeeeeee sleep
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Ok. So -- I'm going to (of course) disagree.
    Zimmer is so going to surpass At World's End. Nobody's going to think it till he does. But he
    will.
    Off Topic a bit:
    I noticed a similarty between (recently listened to) Pearl Harbor and Atonement. I believe there is a similar harmonic pattern. Anyone care to listen?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I actually tend to agree with Jordi that Zimmer will NOT surpass AWE, simply because he rarely gets projects that have the thematic complexity and emotional depth that this film (tries to) have.

Yes, I would very much like to hear what you're talking about with Pearl Harbor and Atonement.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    bartley wrote
    Zimmer is so going to surpass At World's End. Nobody's going to think it till he does. But he
    will.
    Off Topic a bit:
    I noticed a similarty between (recently listened to) Pearl Harbor and Atonement. I believe there is a similar harmonic pattern. Anyone care to listen?

Can you explain it while I listen to Atonement but give Pearl Harbor a miss? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Timmer wrote
    bartley wrote
    will.
    Off Topic a bit:

Can you explain it while I listen to Atonement but give Pearl Harbor a miss? biggrin

Well, if you have PH, give both a listen. The love theme from Atonment has some striking
    similarity. That's what I heard, (when listening) at least.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Kung Fu Panda - do I even care any more now?

NO. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Just because Jordi won't shut up about it doesn't make it any less enjoyable for me, I still regard it as one of the best score albums of the year. cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Just because Jordi won't shut up about it doesn't make it any less enjoyable for me, I still regard it as one of the best score albums of the year. cool

Agreed, but at least you're not posting in Now Playing every 5 minutes.... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    I actually tend to agree with Jordi that Zimmer will NOT surpass AWE, simply because he rarely gets projects that have the thematic complexity and emotional depth that this film (tries to) have.

Is AWE SO great people? Seriously.

He will easily deliver something grand one day eventually, once he stops getting kung fu pandas crap and score a serious movie instead.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

He will easily deliver something grand one day eventually, once he stops getting kung fu pandas crap and score a serious movie instead.

Well Goldsmith scored loads of crappy films, delivering great scores (First Knight...ring a bell?). So as far as the music is good (which is the case of Kung Fu Panda) Zimmer can score as many KFPandas he want.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

it's not because his quality ( But it has quality), it's because rarely some composer can compose for a so important trilogy with so many diferent generes and styles in it.

And yes, AWE is SO GREAT.

I can't understand why some people can see how good this score is. Perhaps because it's from a crap movie... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    bartley wrote

Off Topic a bit:

I saw Atonement last night and noticed that the theme for Briony was pretty much a riff on a theme from As Good As It Gets. Much of the music from the beach scene in Atonement was obviously inspired by Pearl Harbor too, down to the cello soli. It was very distracting to hear it when everyone seems to love, Love, LOVE Atonement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Nautilus wrote
    Perhaps because it's from a crap movie... rolleyes

AWE's not crap just because you can't follow it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    lp wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Perhaps because it's from a crap movie... rolleyes

AWE's not crap just because you can't follow it.

I can follow it.

it's a crap because it's loooooooooooooooong, unfocused, with annoying dialogues and a real mess.

It has some of the most amazing fantasy moments of this century, though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

Arguably, Goldsmith's best scores were for poor movies, particularly where fan favourites are concerned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

Arguably, Goldsmith's best scores were for poor movies, particularly where fan favourites are concerned.

it's really, really sad. because he deserved much better movies. He deserved a great collaboration like Williams with Spielberg.

Sadly, his collaborations were more in 60's and 70's.

NP:Speed Racer (Giacchino)

You have to be in a very specific mood for this Extravaganza.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

it's really, really sad. because he deserved much better movies. He deserved a great collaboration like Williams with Spielberg.

Sadly, his collaborations were more in 60's and 70's.

Well, he had some good long standing collaborations for which he produced some outstanding scores, but it's certainly unfortunate that they weren't of the standing of Spielberg.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    lp wrote
    bartley wrote

Off Topic a bit:

I saw Atonement last night and noticed that the theme for Briony was pretty much a riff on a theme from As Good As It Gets. Much of the music from the beach scene in Atonement was obviously inspired by Pearl Harbor too, down to the cello soli. It was very distracting to hear it when everyone seems to love, Love, LOVE Atonement.

Yeah. I haven't seen either -- just comparing. There is a similarity.